PDA

View Full Version : GA aircraft, a couple jets pulling to the lef

vmx12
June 29th, 2013, 14:46
Hello,

Does anyone know how I can correct/adjust my GA aircraft and a couple of jets from pulling/banking to the left? I have to keep bank right to fly level, but a few seconds later the bank to the left begins again.

I have read that this is an issue with FSX, but there has to be a trim or yaw setting or something that "trues" this up.

Thanks,

VMX12

JIMJAM
June 29th, 2013, 15:55
Its expected for anything with one prop. Use a jet or twin for testing.If you are using rudder pedals,disconnect them and see what happens.If a throttle with a twist rudder, disable the rudder function via the settings menu.I had a Saitek that wore out the pot and it constantly pulled to the right.Come to think of it most all of any simular issues I have had in the past were either worn out pots or sometimes not calibrated.Go into control/settings/calibrate and see if the input is reading steady and centered.If the bar graphs are jumpy or pulling towards one side I suspect a bad stick or pedals.
Need for info on what your control inputs are.Eliminate them as possible problems.

bazzar
June 30th, 2013, 14:33
Check your fuel. If the aircraft you are flying has multiple tanks and these are unevenly filled, the aircraft will bank to the heavier side.
It is quite common in FSX.

One quick cure is to hit Cntrl/X to replenish fuel to 100% and see what happens.

Another is to risk the flight characteristics but set all tanks to 0 (centre) position in the CFG.

The correct way of course, is to use the crossfeed lever/switch equalise the fuel burn and get the tanks equal. That's what it is there for.

How many people actually balance their aircraft in flight I wonder?....

dandog
June 30th, 2013, 19:29
I switch tanks every ten minutes in the Piper 180. The other day I got sidetracked, forgot to switch tanks. Pretty soon I was hooking it to the left. I realized my problem just before the right tank went dry. Sometimes its the exception that proves the rule!

stansdds
July 1st, 2013, 01:53
Cross winds will also push an aircraft to the side.

bstolle
July 1st, 2013, 05:11
That's a common misconception.(Constant) wind aloft has no effect on an airplane.

The best explanation came from a very old FI of mine decades ago:
If a goldfish is swimming straight ahead, it doesn't care at all and isn't influenced in which direction and at what speed you are carrying his bowl.

Brett_Henderson
July 1st, 2013, 05:23
bstolle
That's a common misconception.(Constant) wind aloft has no effect on an airplane.

The best explanation came from a very old FI of mine decades ago:
If a goldfish is swimming straight ahead, it doesn't care at all and isn't influenced in which direction and at what speed you are carrying his bowl.

Yes.. once the wheels leave terra-firma, the airplane doesn't "see" a wind of any type (save gusts, shifts and shears)

Now.. If you are flying the same heading as your intended course.. winds aloft will of course "push" you left or right, relative to that course.. But I think the OP is talking about a "pull", by yaw or roll. Since it's consistently "left" (and not just single-engine props), I'd say (as mentioned) it's either fuel imbalance, or control calibration.

Edit: Fun, relative reference.. I once got into a debate with a fella who swore his Warrior ran hot when flying with a tail-wind,, and ran cool when fling with a head-wind.. :)

IanHenry
July 1st, 2013, 05:36
What stick are you using VMX? I had a similar problem with my joystick, a Thrustmaster Warthog, and no matter what I did to calibrate it the problem wouldn't go away. I finally contacted Thrustmaster, after seeing a post in another forum, and they sent me a small tool to re set the calibration, no problems since.

Ian.

vmx12
July 2nd, 2013, 16:06
What stick are you using VMX? I had a similar problem with my joystick, a Thrustmaster Warthog, and no matter what I did to calibrate it the problem wouldn't go away. I finally contacted Thrustmaster, after seeing a post in another forum, and they sent me a small tool to re set the calibration, no problems since.

Ian.

I'm using the Logitech Attack 3 joystick. It only happens with a few GA aircraft. My jets fly true for the most part, although my new Harrier is banking to the left.

vmx12
July 2nd, 2013, 16:07
Its expected for anything with one prop. Use a jet or twin for testing.If you are using rudder pedals,disconnect them and see what happens.If a throttle with a twist rudder, disable the rudder function via the settings menu.I had a Saitek that wore out the pot and it constantly pulled to the right.Come to think of it most all of any simular issues I have had in the past were either worn out pots or sometimes not calibrated.Go into control/settings/calibrate and see if the input is reading steady and centered.If the bar graphs are jumpy or pulling towards one side I suspect a bad stick or pedals.
Need for info on what your control inputs are.Eliminate them as possible problems.

Thanks, JimJam. The joystick is fairly new, and it only happens with a couple GA aircraft. My jets fly true. Which makes me think it's something to do with a setting.

Skyhawk_310R
July 2nd, 2013, 16:24
Yes.. once the wheels leave terra-firma, the airplane doesn't "see" a wind of any type (save gusts, shifts and shears)

Now.. If you are flying the same heading as your intended course.. winds aloft will of course "push" you left or right, relative to that course.. But I think the OP is talking about a "pull", by yaw or roll. Since it's consistently "left" (and not just single-engine props), I'd say (as mentioned) it's either fuel imbalance, or control calibration.

Edit: Fun, relative reference.. I once got into a debate with a fella who swore his Warrior ran hot when flying with a tail-wind,, and ran cool when fling with a head-wind.. :)

An interesting debate point, but in terms of engine temperatures, indicated airspeed is likely the best gauge for cooling effects on the engine. Now, wind shear can be dangerous for many reasons but one of the prime reasons is that for an instant of time, a significant shift of wind direction and/or velocity can instantly increase or decrease indicated airspeed, which taken to the extreme can cause a sudden onset of stall on final approach, which is why pilots are taught to put in a so-called gust factor as a addition to normal final approach speed. But, once the shear happens, rather quickly the aircraft adjusts. Because if you get a significant increase in headwind component, then instantly the indicated airspeed goes up, but the drag takes hold and without adding power or attitude, the equilibrium is quickly restored (but on final approach, perhaps not fast enough to prevent stall and once the plane stalls, by definition, attitude changes and you might not have the altitude and power reserve to recover before impact!).

Ken