PDA

View Full Version : Panel for Curtiss Hawk P40B/C

Morton
January 12th, 2009, 11:01
Flying Rami's Deep War Campaign, i felt the Hawk P40B/C (conversion by bearcat241) could do with a better 2D panel feeling.
I'm sure many of you already have found good alternatives out there, but this reworked compilation from various sources should also do the trick.

And of course when speaking of skins for this bird, check out RobH's work.

Mort

Rami
January 12th, 2009, 11:10
Thanks, Morton! Great work as always, I'm glad you're having fun! :ernae:

miamieagle
January 12th, 2009, 11:33
Thank you:wavey:

Great work!

PSULLYKEYS
January 12th, 2009, 12:16
Always room for another masterpiece!! Thanks..

bearcat241
January 12th, 2009, 12:37
:woot:....git er done!!!!

Devildog73
January 12th, 2009, 17:33
Thanks Morton! :ernae:

That was always one of my pet peaves against that model in opposition to the km_P-40 series. KM's had a better cockpit look to them.

bearcat241
January 12th, 2009, 19:32
..That was always one of my pet peaves against that model in opposition to the km_P-40 series. KM's had a better cockpit look to them.

Yes but in Bruce's defense i must say that you're comparing apples and oranges. KM never built Bravo/Charlie models for a fair comparison. His P-40 series started at the Echo and forward from there. And we all know that the B/C and the E model forward had entirely different cockpit layouts, because the nose mounted guns were removed from the cockpits of the E and later models. This alone makes an Echo or higher cockpit much more esthetically appealing. Bruce also used a VC-based 2D bmp as opposed to KM's use of an independent 2D bmp. I think that they both had merit...

gedm
January 12th, 2009, 20:44
Looking good Morton, a very nice addition to a fine plane already. :applause:

egypt23spitfire
January 12th, 2009, 21:42
...:ernae:nice work MK, great to have a choice:ernae:

Larry S. Wright
January 13th, 2009, 19:17
:applause:I really like this aircraft and really really like this panel! Thanks.

Jagdflieger
January 13th, 2009, 19:46
Just took a flight around Oahu with the new panel and it is great. It's a fine addition to Thorson's P-40.

dog1
January 16th, 2009, 23:52
i cant get the pilot and drop tank textures to appear, can someone give me a hint please?
dog1

sc7500
January 19th, 2009, 17:15
...in Bruce's defense i must say that you're comparing apples and oranges. KM never built Bravo/Charlie models for a fair comparison. His P-40 series started at the Echo and forward from there ...

Thank You, Morton ~ I've been re-learning AirWrench the hard way this past weekend, attempting to create just such a plane ~ an ACCURATE P-40B.

By taking the best parts of KM's E, F, K, M, and N series, and adding in your SUPERB 2D Cockpit, I have a well-behaved and powerful P-40B for early PTO action.

Keep up the good work !
SC
:kilroy:

bearcat241
January 19th, 2009, 20:35
.....attempting to create just such a plane ~ an ACCURATE P-40B.

By taking the best parts of KM's E, F, K, M, and N series, and adding in your SUPERB 2D Cockpit, I have a well-behaved and powerful P-40B for early PTO action....

Hmmm...man, lucky you, to know what an ACCURATE P-40B is...never had the oppty to fly one meself...btw, how do you take bits and pieces from the FDE's of superior later model Hawks and make an ACCURATE inferior FDE for an earlier B/C model? Sounds like Dr. Frankenstein meets CFS2...LOL

I confess, such knowledge is beyond me. Oh well, beauty is...., as they say...:focus:

sc7500
January 20th, 2009, 13:54
I didn't say I wuz SUCCESSFUL, Bearcat....... but it works for me.

Ya take a decent AIR file... a good Sound File... a compatible MDL and texture set... make sure they fly.

THEN ya goes in with AirWrench and Tweakz Tweakz Tweakz until it operates like ya wants it to. Accurate HP and flight dynamics is a Pipe Dream, except in an electronic world. I started with one of KM's P-40E 1% Air Files ~ works pretty well to back engineer a B model.

And then, when all appears to be jiving, I goes in and paints it the way I see'd sum P-40Bs in in them historical pitchers.... taking a liberty here and there with a name or unit / squadron #, natch.

And THAT'S the recipe for an ACCURATE (To Me) P-40B !

SC

bearcat241
January 20th, 2009, 14:57
...And THAT'S the recipe for an ACCURATE P-40B !

That's real good... but in the interest of open-mindedness and the freedom of artistic expression, let's just call it another fine recipe - accurate or not. Before you sign off on your own accuracy, you might try a control element, like a full-on freeflight in a real P-40B...just a thought. :wave:

I've been asking this question here for years and not one single person has ever answered: How do you achieve an accurate real-life flight model in a $35 RETAIL flight simulator that clearly wasn't designed for accuracy? Be careful how you answer that...wisdom is taking notes too.

sc7500
January 20th, 2009, 15:13
Try as I might, I have been unable to find any evidence of a 2 seater / Trainer version of a P-40B/C... guess I won't be able to make that dream flight anytime soon.

That said, my seat time in "non-computer sim" aircraft was limited to Navy and USMC jets in the late '70s.... not able to fly those anymore due to med challenges and old age.

Please note that I have amended my earlier statement to read ACCURATE (To Me) ~ no sense in steppin' on any other tosies.

SC

JapLance
January 21st, 2009, 01:44
Maybe this is the right thread to ask.

When I tried Thorson's P-40B conversion by Bearcat I also thought it was too much of a Zero Killer (well, Zeroes, Shidens and maybe even Tomcats LOL), and since I have no idea on how to tweak an .air file I tried other P-40b/Tomahawk flight dynamics with it. Right now I can't remember which one I ended up using (I'm not at home at the moment), but with a bit of editing in the cfg file it behaved quite well. But now I have a minor problem, and it's that the propeller is always spinning, even when the engine is off.

Can it be solved in some way? If so, how?

JapLance
January 21st, 2009, 08:08
I just checked the air file I'm using in the P-40b:

Aircraft Simulator's P-40B(Hawk 81A) Tomahawk Mk II

Designers:Eric Johnson(with permission), Mike Colclough & Gerald Keagan

bearcat241
January 21st, 2009, 09:26
Defense of Australia...the Hawk was the primary defender of Oz, until the Spits arrived. It WAS nothing short of a Zero/Oscar/George killer and served in that role with distinction (ask the Ozzie aces). If you want something weaker, there's always the option of perfecting your own hand at the art of airfile work.

WRT the dead spinning prop, that's another one of those little quirks that can occur when you take the "Dr. Frankenstein" approach...i know because its happened to me in times past. Whenever you start copy/pasting pieces from other air files and you're new to this stuff you can easily get unsavory consequences if you don't understand the relationships of the parts. Just try copying the propellor settings from the original air file of the convert to your new Frankenstein.