PDA

View Full Version : Vildebeest for CFS2?

UncleTgt
January 12th, 2009, 03:36
Long time lurker, first time post:-

A Vildebeest for CFS2 would be so good ....

Anyone know how to contact John Bulteel, who made this for FS2000? His readme e-mail address appears no longer valid.

I know it's a frame hog, but as an AI aircraft it would be better than not at all ...

Shessi
January 12th, 2009, 04:04
Hi Uncle T,
Welcome to the SOH! :ernae:

Very nice find, good looking model.

Well, if no one knows of his ware-abouts then consider posting the conversion here with due regard in the Readme.

Have you seached the internet in general, as he may be using his talents for other things?

Cheers Shessi

Shessi
January 12th, 2009, 04:20
I've just found out that Hewman100 found this 'beast' back March 2006. It's not in the downloads from him at SOH. The Vildebeest is found at Simviation, so is freeware, as such.

There seems to be nothing else for John Bulteel.......so fill your boots!!

Cheers Shessi

gedm
January 12th, 2009, 05:16
Uncle, I've been worrying that old bomber for a while now. I'd love to see a "decent" (done by someone other than me) conversion released here at the outhouse. I've got her converted but cant figure out how to alpha out the torp.
The "Pig" was used alot against the Japanese during thier advance down the Malay Penninsula.
Also where did you find that skin for it?

UncleTgt
January 12th, 2009, 05:22
It's something I've been working away at for a while ...

Basically, I used mdlconv to get a stable cfs2 mdl file, then used mdlcolor to recolour some parts of the model that were hard-coded, & repainted the aircraft in a camo pattern (rafweb.org, either 36 or 100 sqdn, I forget which one).
I also used mdlcolor to make the torp transparent, & allow other offensive loads to be carried.
I tweaked the air file, to make AI aircraft drop weapons without crashing, & added a dp file based on a swordfish dp file.
She flies OK as an AI aircraft, but is a bit lively for a player aircraft.
You can also see from the jpgs that some of the model colour issues couldn't be resolved completely, & I seem to have lost the prop.

The original readme seems to be quite explicit about posting mods that use this FS2000 a/c as a source without getting permission. As you can see, I've had a go at changing pretty much everything ...

Jagdflieger
January 12th, 2009, 07:29
Welcome to the forum UncleTgt!

Great work on the Wildebeest. Loosing the prop on pre-FSDSv2 and pre-GMAX AI aircraft is common. I think the only way to get it to show up is to add it through the DP file. This was successfuly done with the Ki 48 Lilly by Kirk. He produced a AIprop.bgl file for the props and two texture files and then listed it as a payload.

Example:

[PAYLOAD.1]
; Payload = Bombs Heavy+prop
mount.0=wep_ja_60kg_gp, 6, -1
mount.1=AI_Ki-48_Prop, 1, -1

I've thought of addapting this to other AI aircraft, but it's a bit beyond my meager skills. At any rate, it's an idea as it works very well with Kirk's Lilly.

oldwheat
January 12th, 2009, 11:58
If you happen to find John Bulteel, try to coorce the source files from him.. Could do both CFS2 specific,
multi- lod Vildebeest & Vincent from them.

Shessi
January 12th, 2009, 15:20
Uncle T and Gedm,
This is the combo of both your efforts, with prop/spinner and no torp.

With the nice re-paint,dp and airfile that you've got there should look just the job!! :applause:

It is hard on the ol' FRs and as OW says would be great to get the source file to make new LODs. Shame the modellers not about...

I've also just read the README and it doesn't look like he would allow the modification...ho hum....so that's that then, drat!!

Would be good to see the skin and other bits though?!

Cheers Shessi

gedm
January 12th, 2009, 20:00
Nice one Shessi!
I tried to track down John Bulteel today. I checked some of the other sites to see if he had any other creations that were more recent but all his work I found was from awhile ago. Bummer....:faint:

hewman100
January 13th, 2009, 01:46
It got way too much for me and I don't think I've even got the files any more. I couldn't get hold of John either but Ivan (Archisoft) did his magic and made me a GMAX file from the mdl so I could remove the torpedo and seperate it's crutch as well.

Someone else did take it off my hands and said they'd take 'er further, but I can't remember who.

xavierb
January 13th, 2009, 12:06
As far as I know the designer was impossible to be contacted three years ago... And a modified mdl with Gmax and all the "black magic" will not be eligible for uploading due to lawful copyright issues.
Solution? Find a designer willing to create a new model and fill another hole in the CFS2 hangar.

CrashnBurns
January 13th, 2009, 12:50
Too bad. I had one of these repainted as a B4Y1. I loved to shoot them down with my AH F3F!