PDA

View Full Version : How big is yours?

WarHorse47
June 2nd, 2013, 09:15
Paging file, that is... :icon_lol:

My new computer and FSX install have been performing just great, but recently I've encountered this mystery OOM issue with some addons and scenery.

My new system has a 2 Gb video card and 16 Gb RAM, running Windows 8 in 64 bit mode so FSX should have more than enough room to do its thing.

What I discovered is that my virtual memory is only about 2.3 Gb, so from what I've read the small size could be the source of my memory errors.

So before I go tweaking my virtual memory, I thought I'd ask the obvious question and find out what others have done. The straightforward question is what is an adequate size of the paging file to run FSX?

Thanks in advance

TheGrunt
June 2nd, 2013, 09:39
Paging file has nothing to do with the OOMs if you pretty much have more than 4GB of memory. The limit you are seeing is virtual address space and that space can be both in system ram and also in paging file if system ram runs out. You don't have this problem and FSX can use all the VAS that is available and point it to system memory. As a 32-bit application FSX has VAS size of 4GB and not one bit more. In that address space is the program itself and all the other modules, drivers etc. the program needs to run. That's why FSX process in Task Manager is always way under 4GB when OOM hits: it is just the amount of that process cosnumes. If you'd use for example process explorer, you'd see that OOM error strikes when VAS hits 4GB. Boom!

There is no other solution for OOMs than to lower your settings. Disable unused sceneries (if you are just flying over some heavy scenery high above, you don't really need that, but it eats still your memory), lower AI traffic (heavy AI consumes quite a lot memory), lower texture resolutions of clouds and water if you are using some HD textures and finally alter antoher sliders. Remember that some external programs, like REX weather engine, EZCA or some flight planner doesn't consume same VAS: they have their own VAS. Some .dll modules loaded with the sim do reside in same VAS.

There is no magic behind OOM errors. Gradually you stuff your sim full of more and more complicated sceneries and fly more complicated planes (yes there is big difference between some "lite" and detailed models) thus risking OOM. With the amount of the memory you have, you can't help the OOMs by altering Paging file. Just let Windows handle it automatically if some ancient program requires PF, otherwise you will do fine even if you turn it off.

hschuit
June 2nd, 2013, 09:53
Also, FSX needs a lot of contiguous user-mode virtual address space; this tweak solved my FSX OOM's:

Open the command prompt and type: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072

Naismith
June 2nd, 2013, 10:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyz5g6Sipaw

This guy (builds and maintains PC's for a living) recommends switching off paging if you have a lot of RAM. Go to about the 48 minute in video.
After I got a lot of OOM issues (I have 16Gb DDR3) I switched of paging or virtual RAM and haven't had an issue since.

WarHorse47
June 2nd, 2013, 10:36
I first encountered the OOMs earlier this week when I was using a freeware product called "Auto Thumbnail" to create thumbnails of some port-over aircraft. The product worked fine for about 6 to 8 aircraft, then I got the OOMs. No more problems after I uninstalled it.

This morning I took Dino's F-35 to Nellis which has the Milviz T-38 and -15E ai and some scenery mods. That was when I got the OOM errors. I had real weather turn on, which I seldom use, and that might have pushed my limits as I never had a problem before with static fair weather.

Open the command prompt and type: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072
BTW - what specifically does this do?

Naismith
June 2nd, 2013, 10:39
I understand from reading that FSX has a glitch whereby it doesn't release memory when you do a lot of switching between aircraft and it just gives up and crashes which may be why the Autothumbnail failed on you. That is just one of many reasons for OOM issues.

kilo delta
June 2nd, 2013, 12:00
My pagefile is disabled. I'm running 8GB of RAM on my sim pc and have never had any issues.

WarHorse47
June 3rd, 2013, 15:50
I understand from reading that FSX has a glitch whereby it doesn't release memory when you do a lot of switching between aircraft and it just gives up and crashes which may be why the Autothumbnail failed on you. That is just one of many reasons for OOM issues.Is there a cure?? So eliminating the change file would have no effect?