PDA

View Full Version : Softer Springs

burcham8
May 31st, 2013, 06:34
Guys,

I ran across some tips on flying a particular aircraft they mentioned "softer springs" for the joystick.

How do you get softer springs? What kind of adjustment do you make in the sim's settings?

Marc

jeroen79
May 31st, 2013, 15:33
I'm not sure what is meant by this.
Can you give a link to these tips?

What kind of joystick do you have?
If it is a forcefeedback jostick then you may be able to adjust various effects, including spring effects.

Tom Clayton
June 2nd, 2013, 19:30
I've also heard of actually cutting coils from the springs on a stick, but I'm not about to try that on my hardware.

nigel richards
June 3rd, 2013, 12:58
I've also heard of actually cutting coils from the springs on a stick, but I'm not about to try that on my hardware.

Might get rid of those nasty, squeeky, grinding noises from my Saitek, that draws black looks from all non-flying members of my family.

Honestly, I can't hear a dicky bird...but man, you should see those dirty looks, especially the mother-in-law...

Umm...Precisely how much spring coil is to be removed? :kilroy:

If looks could kill...:sheep:

Blackbird686
June 3rd, 2013, 13:39
Might get rid of those nasty, squeeky, grinding noises from my Saitek, that draws black looks from all non-flying members of my family.

Honestly, I can't hear a dicky bird...but man, you should see those dirty looks, especially the mother-in-law...

Umm...Precisely how much spring coil is to be removed? :kilroy:

If looks could kill...:sheep:

Speaking of Saitek's.... I have the X-52 as well as the X-52 Pro system. The 52 Pro is a quiet as a church mouse but the trusty ol' 52 creaks like a rusty hinge when the rudder is applied. Yours and mine must be cousins, mate. :isadizzy:

BB686:USA-flag:

napamule
June 6th, 2013, 10:26
Oh, you don't cut the springs. You just tie 2 together with zip ties. Two at a time. But you might have to tie at 3 places around the coil. And for 'lubricating' the rubbing surfaces (so they don't sqeek) just use dryer sheets. Rub the parts (may have to disassemble to get to them) wether metal or plastic, and you are done. They have a type of oil that does not gum up. Don't EVER use OIL or OTHER lubricants !!!
Chuck B
Napamule

dhazelgrove
June 6th, 2013, 10:36
Oil the mother-in-law.

nigel richards
June 6th, 2013, 11:34
Oil the mother-in-law.

:icon_eek:....

hmmmm.....

:running:...honey! quick, gimmee the oil can...

:jump:

nigel richards
June 6th, 2013, 11:39
Oh, you don't cut the springs. You just tie 2 together with zip ties. Two at a time. But you might have to tie at 3 places around the coil. And for 'lubricating' the rubbing surfaces (so they don't sqeek) just use dryer sheets. Rub the parts (may have to disassemble to get to them) wether metal or plastic, and you are done. They have a type of oil that does not gum up. Don't EVER use OIL or OTHER lubricants !!!
Chuck B
Napamule

Zippa-dee-do-da!...:salute: clever idea - thanks!