PDA

View Full Version : The great Flyover

AussieMan
May 25th, 2013, 02:52
200 years ago this month 3 explorers, Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth found a way across the Blue Mountains which opened up fertile land west of Sydney. Had this event not happened there would be no Australia as we know it today.

The route these explorers took follows the main ridge through the mountains. The route the explorers took can be followed on Google Earth. Just look for Penrith and then follow either the railway or highway to Mount Victoria and you pretty much have their route. Once they had crossed the Blue Mountains they continued for a short distance further west to a point called Mount Blaxland which is about 10 kilometres s-w of my home town of Lithgow.

To celebrate this event a flyover of about 70 aircraft took place today. This was led by the RAAF Roulettes followed by an RAAF C-130J, a Cessna 195, Winjeel, 6 YAK 52s and a gaggle of other aircraft.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get out and photograph part of the flyover.

jmig
May 25th, 2013, 14:30
That must have been exciting Pat. I can only imagine the pride you must have felt.

AussieMan
May 25th, 2013, 15:13
I wanted to get more but the battery went flat on me and for some reason I seem to have lost my 2 spare batteries.