PDA

View Full Version : KNQA Millington Regional Jetport

FSX68
May 23rd, 2013, 13:10
Hawkeye Simulations Millington Regional Jetport KNQA

Welcome to Millington Regional Jetport, A larger airport from the typical airports I do, but still a good location, lots of sights to see, and fairly flat ground. Located in Tennessee. Package includes Custom objects, default objects, and photo realistic ground textures.

by Tom Neubauer

available here: http://simviation.com/1/browse-Scenery-63-0

I asked Tom if he would do this airport and he completed it only two days after I asked him. Now this is a BIG improvement over the stock KNQA as this one is a lot more detailed.
There is only one issue in that there isn't a rotating beacon light on the control tower. I mentioned the lack of this and he said "To change the tower wouldn't be hard but there's no other tower that looks like the one at the real airport and I'm fairly sure all FSX default towers have that beacon. If you come across a more realistic looking tower as a scenery file, I'd be more than willing to replace it for you!" I sent him pictures of the real deal and am waiting to see if he can make the tower with a beacon. Here are some sample pics of his work:

Real tower beacon on top

FBO Office

skyhawka4m
May 23rd, 2013, 20:46
wow.....what memories of that tower. I wwent to my AFUN "P" school and first A school at Millinton. Spent many off hours sitting at the tower watching the airtraffic come through. I believe if I'm not mistaken....where the FBO is....was a big old hanger filled with jets for school students to work on.

fxsttcb
May 24th, 2013, 02:15
Woot! Us NATTC rats(AVA, AFTA) have wanted Millington for a while. Thanks for the HU! ...Don

FSX68
May 24th, 2013, 03:55
Woot! Us NATTC rats(AVA, AFTA) have wanted Millington for a while. Thanks for the HU! ...Don

Don,

The tower doesn't have any beacon on it. I have tried to contact the author and sent him pictures of the real tower with beacon on it but I get no response. Here is his
contact info Tom Neubauer email: tneubauer12@yahoo.com ; maybe if enough of us old NATTC Millington people contact him and ask him if he could add a rotating white/green beacon on it
he just might. He told me "To change the tower wouldn't be hard but there's no other tower that looks like the one at the real airport and I'm fairly sure all FSX default towers have that beacon"

If I had the gift to make the edit I would. But at least it looks a lot more accurate then the stock one. The old AIMD hanger is depicted correctly and just before
Brac 93, I worked at AIMD hanger as a sandcrab(beach-creepie) ; An A-4 hanger built for VMA-124/MAG 42 is also depicted ; that hanger now has private A/C and the signage on the outside top reads TULSAIR Beechcraft. Also, SWIFT truck training academy is located there, you will see some semi's near the east end of the runway.

FSX68
May 24th, 2013, 04:04
wow.....what memories of that tower. I wwent to my AFUN "P" school and first A school at Millinton. Spent many off hours sitting at the tower watching the airtraffic come through. I believe if I'm not mistaken....where the FBO is....was a big old hanger filled with jets for school students to work on.

You are spot on about the old white wooden building located next to the FBO building. That was torn down. If you remember on the South Side of the Base where the majority
of the schools were was S-1 (South 1) which was the NAS Admin building. The old building was torn down (was big attempt to save it for history) but the flag pole was removed and
relocated in front of the FBO office at the KNQA Regional airport.

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 05:19
Does this look anything like what you're looking for regarding the FBO? If it does, let me know via p.m. with your e-mail address. I'll convert it into a usable bgl. and send it to you.

RD

Dimus
May 24th, 2013, 05:31
Somehow I knew you would step in on this Randy!:icon_lol:

The tower also looks interesting. If it was last year I would be tempted to give it a go.

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 05:59
Somehow I knew you would step in on this Randy!:icon_lol: The tower also looks interesting. If it was last year I would be tempted to give it a go.

Thank you for the compliment Dimus. Keep mum :sleep:but, I'm also working on the tower....:kilroy:

RD

spotlope
May 24th, 2013, 06:06
It's fun to see some local sights being developed. I was just at KMEM this morning, and shocked at how much development there's been since I last lived here.

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 07:48
Tower WIP....

RD

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 09:27
Here's a screen shot of the tower in FSX. Note: There is NO rotating beacon. I don't know how to model that using SketchUp. The beacon can be added, I think, using ADEX by positioning it correctly and at the right elevation.

RD

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 10:06
Yes, you can add a rotating beacon using ADEX.:applause:

RD

FSX68
May 24th, 2013, 11:58
Thank you for the compliment Dimus. Keep mum :sleep:but, I'm also working on the tower....:kilroy:

RD

WOW!!!! :jump::applause: This is most excellent!!!

Navy Chief
May 24th, 2013, 13:48
I tend to be nostalgic when it comes to Millington. I'd want to "reconstruct" the old hangar where I trained to work on A-4s..... NC

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 13:52
I tend to be nostalgic when it comes to Millington. I'd want to "reconstruct" the old hangar where I trained to work on A-4s..... NC

Do you have any photos and dimensions?

RD

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 14:00
OK guys, I've sent the two scenery object files to FSX68 but, have only just now realized that he did not do the original scenery modification. So here's what I'm offerring to do for all you ole "Navy Guys." if one of you'll with scenery making talents will send him your e-mail address, he can send you the objects to use anyway you would like. I neither need nor want any credit for what I've done. I'm just happy to be of some help.

RD

FSX68
May 24th, 2013, 15:37
OK guys, I've sent the two scenery object files to FSX68 but, have only just now realized that he did not do the original scenery modification. So here's what I'm offerring to do for all you ole "Navy Guys." if one of you'll with scenery making talents will send him your e-mail address, he can send you the objects to use anyway you would like. I neither need nor want any credit for what I've done. I'm just happy to be of some help.

RD

I just attached your files and sent them to the author and explained what those files are and that you did not seek credit. I am hoping he will respond favorably.

:engel016:

Thanks for your help rdaniell

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 16:23
I just attached your files and sent them to the author and explained what those files are and that you did not seek credit. I am hoping he will respond favorably. :engel016: Thanks for your help rdaniell

Well, that sounds like a plan. Let's wait and see what he does. My offer to share the two scenery objects with anyone here at the Outhouse who wants to have a go at a complete re-modification of the airport is still open as another option if necessary.
RD

FSX68
May 24th, 2013, 17:09
Well, that sounds like a plan. Let's wait and see what he does. My offer to share the two scenery objects with anyone here at the Outhouse who wants to have a go at a complete re-modification of the airport is still open as another option if necessary.

RD

So far, no response from Tom Neubauer. I don't think he is a SOH member either. He does give credit to a few other people in his readme file, and some of them sound familiar.
When I first sent Tom a request to do KNQA his response was almost immediate. Subsequent to his release, I mentioned the beacon issue and he responded in an almost
timely fashion . I get the feeling that perhaps ( I could be wrong here) that I am being snubbed here. I don't want to bug him any more over this as he does turn out quite
a few other airport sceneries and maybe is wrapped up in moving on with development of other sceneries. It would be nice if some one here at SOH could re-mod the tower/beacon
and the FBO building with what you have made.

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 17:45
So far, no response from Tom Neubauer. I don't think he is a SOH member either. He does give credit to a few other people in his readme file, and some of them sound familiar. When I first sent Tom a request to do KNQA his response was almost immediate. Subsequent to his release, I mentioned the beacon issue and he responded in an almost timely fashion . I get the feeling that perhaps ( I could be wrong here) that I am being snubbed here. I don't want to bug him any more over this as he does turn out quite a few other airport sceneries and maybe is wrapped up in moving on with development of other sceneries. It would be nice if some one here at SOH could re-mod the tower/beacon and the FBO building with what you have made.

I think I may know why he is hesitant to do make any changes to his scenery. It didn't look like to me that he uses ADEX for his scenery modification. Perhaps what he's using will not allow for the placement of a rotating beacon on top of another object like you can do with ADEX. In anticipation of something like this happening with your request to him, I've been looking at some Google Earth shots of the airport. In order to do it up fairly realistic would require that I model the big hanger. I can do that but, not until after the holiday weekend. I have several other objects at my disposal to also use. If I do the whole mod, then I won't need his permission nor need to give him any credit as I'll be starting from the default AFCAD.

RD

Navy Chief
May 24th, 2013, 17:54
Do you have any photos and dimensions?

RD

Not a clue, but I bet someone on this forum does, RD!

NC

FSX68
May 24th, 2013, 18:34

NC,

Would that building be where they use to train the ejection seat school (AME "A" school)? If so, it is still standing and at one time was being used to restore the Memphis Belle. The
Belle was moved (in pieces) to Dayton AFB and the hanger is now empty and closed. If that is the building, I can drive over there and take a picture of it.

Navy Chief
May 24th, 2013, 18:43
NC,

Would that building be where they use to train the ejection seat school (AME "A" school)? If so, it is still standing and at one time was being used to restore the Memphis Belle. The
Belle was moved (in pieces) to Dayton AFB and the hanger is now empty and closed. If that is the building, I can drive over there and take a picture of it.

FSX68, I think the classrooms and the hangar were combined? Not sure. That was way back in the Winter of 1972! I think I might recognize it if I saw a picture. That was a very cold Winter.... NC

rdaniell
May 24th, 2013, 19:27
...this is my interpretation of the big hanger just down from the FBO. Google SketchUp will not allow me to put the ridges in the curved roof. No more updates until after the holiday.

RD

Dimus
May 25th, 2013, 01:29
Randy, it is not hard to put the ridges on top. Copy the edge arc on the curved surface and use the offset command. You may need to create a vertical surface to do that but I'm not sure. In any case if you send me the model I can add them and send it back to you.

FSX68
May 25th, 2013, 03:47
...this is my interpretation of the big hanger just down from the FBO. Google SketchUp will not allow me to put the ridges in the curved roof. No more updates until after the holiday.

RD

I can vouch for that building, I use to work in it. It is the old AIMD (Aircraft Intermediate Mainteance) hanger. VP-67 a reserve P3B squadron offices was in the left side and the AIMD
maintenance folks occupied the right side. There use to be a large set of Naval pilots wings mounted on the front side centered just midway from the upper hanger doors and the peak of the roof.
VP-67 aircraft (P3B) were spotted just to the right of this picture nose facing towards the hanger. There were approx 12 P-3B's. They use to have P2V's before that in the '70's.

FSX68
May 25th, 2013, 04:02
This is a close up of the old hanger that VMA 124 used. I've also included where this building is in relation to the other building in the FSX Knqa.

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 07:32
OK! FSX68, here's Millington Airport. I'll be zipping this up and e-mailing it to you later today. I'm giving you permission to share it with anybody here at the Outhouse who would like a copy. I'm indebted to Dimus for allowing me to use his Tifton/KTMA "T" hanger. Everything else is either custom built by me or is FSX default.

To everyone else here at the Outhouse: If you want a copy, give FSX68 a day or two to get it from me and then contact him. I don't have any objections to your sharing this with any of your friends but, PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD IT ANYWHERE.

While I'm an Air Force veteran combat aircrew, I'd like to dedicate this scenery to a deceased uncle who was a Navy World War II veteran :USA-flag: May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him and all who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, no matter where we live.

RD

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 07:44
The scenery package is on it's way to FSX68. Remember, if you want a copy get in touch with him.

RD

FSX68
May 26th, 2013, 08:30
OK! FSX68, here's Millington Airport. I'll be zipping this up and e-mailing it to you later today. I'm giving you permission to share it with anybody here at the Outhouse who would like a copy. I'm indebted to Dimus for allowing me to use his Tifton/KTMA "T" hanger. Everything else is either custom built by me or is FSX default.

To everyone else here at the Outhouse: If you want a copy, give FSX68 a day or two to get it from me and then contact him. I don't have any objections to your sharing this with any of your friends but, PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD IT ANYWHERE.

While I'm an Air Force veteran combat aircrew, I'd like to dedicate this scenery to a deceased uncle who was a Navy World War II veteran :USA-flag: May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him and all who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, no matter where we live.

RD

Thanks for your rendition of Millington Airport. As I write this, I am waiting for the file. Hope there is a rotating beacon included. This Viet-nam vet thanks you for making this
possibel. I will share with anyone that wants a copy (Just send me a PM).

:salute::applause:

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 08:35
Thanks for your rendition of Millington Airport. As I write this, I am waiting for the file. Hope there is a rotating beacon included. This Viet-nam vet thanks you for making this possibel. I will share with anyone that wants a copy (Just send me a PM). :salute::applause:

You are welcome my brother. :USA-flag: And YES, there is a rotating beacon on top of the control tower. Everything worked on my rig and it's what you might call a mid-range setup.

RD

FSX68
May 26th, 2013, 08:44
Thanks for the new KNQA. One issue I have is the the Beacon is atop an invisible Control Tower.

Dimus
May 26th, 2013, 12:45
Looks like you're missing the tower textures or the tower object. Randy, maybe check if you included everything in the file you sent to FSX68. If so then something went wrong with installation.

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 12:46
Thanks for the new KNQA. One issue I have is the the Beacon is atop an invisible Control Tower.

I have not a clue as to why the tower is not showing. Looks like maybe a texture issue. Open the zip file of just the tower I sent you and put the textures in the AddOn Scenery/KNQA/texture file again. If that doesn't work I can't help you. I checked what I sent you and everything necessary for the scenery to work is included.

RD

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 12:48
Looks like you're missing the tower textures or the tower object. Randy, maybe check if you included everything in the file you sent to FSX68. If so then something went wrong with installation.

Hey Dimus! Looks like we were typing at about the same time....

RD

FSX68
May 26th, 2013, 14:29
I have not a clue as to why the tower is not showing. Looks like maybe a texture issue. Open the zip file of just the tower I sent you and put the textures in the AddOn Scenery/KNQA/texture file again. If that doesn't work I can't help you. I checked what I sent you and everything necessary for the scenery to work is included.

RD

Randy,

Just to let you know; I tried your suggestion. Only the beacon shows (nice beacon) and no tower.

I must be missing a texture that renders the actual missing tower.

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 17:42
Randy, Just to let you know; I tried your suggestion. Only the beacon shows (nice beacon) and no tower. I must be missing a texture that renders the actual missing tower.

I'm really at a loss as to why this is happening to you. I deleted my install and went through a normal install using the zip file I sent to you. Everything shows as it is supposed to show. Try deleting everything and then re-install. In the meantime look out for another e-mail with the original zip.

RD

FSX68
May 26th, 2013, 18:17
I'm really at a loss as to why this is happening to you. I deleted my install and went through a normal install using the zip file I sent to you. Everything shows as it is supposed to show. Try deleting everything and then re-install. In the meantime look out for another e-mail with the original zip.

RD

Randy,

Sorry to be late with response, I started from the get-go, deleted all of your files and resaved attached file from your email I use 7-zip to unzip the files. Copied all sceneery/textures to the Addon fired up FSX, Added your scenery. Selected KNQA and glanced over to see if there would be a control tower, there was none. Changed to dusk and the beacon appeared and was running.
I don't know either what's going on either. Especially when you say that it was working fine on your end.
:isadizzy:

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 19:15
Randy, Sorry to be late with response, I started from the get-go, deleted all of your files and resaved attached file from your email I use 7-zip to unzip the files. Copied all sceneery/textures to the Addon fired up FSX, Added your scenery. Selected KNQA and glanced over to see if there would be a control tower, there was none. Changed to dusk and the beacon appeared and was running. I don't know either what's going on either. Especially when you say that it was working fine on your end. :isadizzy:

Well gang, as FSX68 already knows from our last p.m. trading, I just installed this scenery file on the computer that I actually do my FSX flying on. Well,
I don't have a tower either. I've tried every thing from delete, re-install, to a complete recompile of the ADEX file and then a fresh install. Still NO TOWER. Yet, when I did all this on the computer that I use for modeling, testing, etc., it's there as before.

I'm so frustrated by this that I told FSX68 that I was bowing out of this project. I started working on it with the simple motivation of being helpful to the Outhouse community as the actual airport was not one that I have any personal interest in. In the process, I modeled four custom buildings. Maybe someone with more knowledge about the workings of ADEX and FSX can come to the rescue.

Blindbat 7 Out.

RD

rdaniell
May 26th, 2013, 20:33
Alright, I know I attempted to throw in the towel :kilroy: on this project but, just couldn't give up. Anybody else like me? Probably not...:icon_lol:

Anyway, I renamed the tower scenery object in SketchUp and did a complete new compile of the object using Model Convert. I deleted the original object from the ADEX bgl file, added the new one, did a new compile of ADEX, and finally did a complete re-install on my FSX computer. I at least have some JOY:jump: here in South Georgia. I just sent the new scenery file to FSX68. I sure hope it works for him as I can appreciate really wanting your home airport to be more than just the default version. I can still remember how excited I was when Dimus first did KTMA for me. It was with his encouragement and help that I learned SketchUp. Thanks Dimus.:salute:

Now maybe with some closure to this, I just might be able to go to sleep :sleep: as it's after midnight here.

RD

FSX68
May 27th, 2013, 03:54
Alright, I know I attempted to throw in the towel :kilroy: on this project but, just couldn't give up. Anybody else like me? Probably not...:icon_lol:

Anyway, I renamed the tower scenery object in SketchUp and did a complete new compile of the object using Model Convert. I deleted the original object from the ADEX bgl file, added the new one, did a new compile of ADEX, and finally did a complete re-install on my FSX computer. I at least have some JOY:jump: here in South Georgia. I just sent the new scenery file to FSX68. I sure hope it works for him as I can appreciate really wanting your home airport to be more than just the default version. I can still remember how excited I was when Dimus first did KTMA for me. It was with his encouragement and help that I learned SketchUp. Thanks Dimus.:salute:

Now maybe with some closure to this, I just might be able to go to sleep :sleep: as it's after midnight here.

RD

It Works now!!! I sent you an email confirming this as well. I also sent an attached photo with a request in the email as well. Thanks for hanging in there.
I know Navy Chief will appreciate this as well. I will send him a copy of your latest.

Thanks again,

:applause:

Navy Chief
May 27th, 2013, 05:17
Yes! Thanks to Randy and fsx68! I will be installing later today. NC:salute:

fxsttcb
May 27th, 2013, 05:41
I will send him a copy of your latest.

Thanks again,

:applause:Me too! Me too! Thank you!

RD, your radio is attached to it's thread...Don

FSX68
May 27th, 2013, 13:27
Me too! Me too! Thank you!

RD, your radio is attached to it's thread...Don

Don,

Check your PM I sent you a copy and a little patch file too. Thanks to Randy for his patience and I know I may off stretched it (patience) with my "oh by the way", change requests; I am sorry for doing so......:medals:

"Butch"

fxsttcb
May 28th, 2013, 01:49
Thank You Both! :salute: Gonna hafta fire up the Millington DC-3!

Now if somebody would do a complete retro of late '60s/early '70s "South Side", I'd be in 7th Heaven...Don

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 03:46
Thank You Both! :salute: Gonna hafta fire up the Millington DC-3!

Now if somebody would do a complete retro of late '60s/early '70s "South Side", I'd be in 7th Heaven...Don

If somebody did that we would have to use "BOB" to walk er....march around the base on the way to the school house.....:icon_lol:

I reckon that would put a strain on the Frame Rates.

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 05:32
OK, guys. Quit trolling.:stop: I'm not taking the bait. But as I just p.m.ed. fxsttcb, may I offer a suggestion. A project like this, a retro Millington, would require a lot of research. Photos of buildings, aerial views, etc. would all be needed.

So why not each of you'll interested in a project like this get together and collaborate by sharing the work load. You would need to learn a few programs
But, if an old U. S. Air Force veteran :icon30: like me :icon_lol: can learn ADEX and Google SketchUp, certainly you guys can. That way you can really enjoy using the scenery as you would have ownership of it.

Just a suggestion.:running:

RD

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2013, 09:12
I unfortunately have zero photos of Millington, from my time there (Winter/Spring of 1972, 73). What I remember most is the frigid cold and dreary days. The barracks I lived in were quite old; brick, I think? The avionics school students lived in brand new barracks, but their course was much longer. NC

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 09:26
I unfortunately have zero photos of Millington, from my time there (Winter/Spring of 1972, 73). What I remember most is the frigid cold and dreary days. The barracks I lived in were quite old; brick, I think? The avionics school students lived in brand new barracks, but their course was much longer. NC

I lived here when my Dad taught AT "A" school back in 1957. I was only 12 then and don't remember much of the layout at NAS Memphis then. Later on in 1981 I came here as instructor
at S-750. Now some of the old brick barracks on the South side are still standing; some were torn down. The ones still here, you can see where the students would hang their laundry
out in the back of the barracks, there are these narrow cement walk ways between the clothes line posts that the students utilized and are still there. Those barracks were built in 1958.
There is a bridge that crosses over Navy Road from North Side to South Side. I've used it a few times in the cold January weather to go from south side to the Wooden Hanger to take the
CPO exam. The big White wooden hanger is still there and MWR got their mitts on it as a GYM.
I remember the old wooden Commissary back when I was a kid here and later on when I was stationed here. It's gone now and a bigger one was build on the South Side.

When BUPERS came here in '98, a lot of the old wooden barracks/schools were torn down. There was a lot of good wood that went into those building. Real 2x4's were used (Circa 1940's).
We had a fine Bowling alley here that was torn down back in 98, and the lanes were just refinished. A lot of the Hobby shop (Closed) stock was auctioned off. Only thing left
is Navy (Snake) Lake and the Glamorous Golf Course......and so it goes.

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2013, 09:51
The Enlisted club was quite nice, as I recall. Heard that it burnt down? I didn't spend much time there. I studied most of the time..NC

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 10:58
I can remember VP-67 spotting their P-3B's like you see here. Before that, they had P-2V's and the Marines had their A-4's spotted nearby.

The hanger in the picture is a little on the small size or the P-3 is too big.
I wonder how I could add little P-3's to the flight line like you see here to the new KNQA airport? I'm not complaining Randy!!! :stop:

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 11:26
I can remember VP-67 spotting their P-3B's like you see here. Before that, they had P-2V's and the Marines had their A-4's spotted nearby. The hanger in the picture is a little on the small size or the P-3 is too big. I wonder how I could add little P-3's to the flight line like you see here to the new KNQA airport? I'm not complaining Randy!!! :stop:

I know you're not complaining. You're asking a staight forward question. Well, the hanger model's dimensions are: 209 feet by 130 feet and 36 feet tall at the highest point on the roof. The hanger doors are 22 feet high. I have no idea what the dimensions of a P-3 are. But if you have one that you can taxi down to directly in front of the hanger, you would be able to get a better idea as to the size of the hanger.

One of the problems with making models with no dimensions is that you just have to WAG it as best you can from an aerial view. The size of an object can be adjusted using ADEX.

RD

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2013, 11:33
I can remember VP-67 spotting their P-3B's like you see here. Before that, they had P-2V's and the Marines had their A-4's spotted nearby.

The hanger in the picture is a little on the small size or the P-3 is too big.
I wonder how I could add little P-3's to the flight line like you see here to the new KNQA airport? I'm not complaining Randy!!! :stop:

What scenery is that, Butch? Pete

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 11:58
What scenery is that, Butch? Pete

That's the new and improved KNQA. I did a copy paste edit in paint of the P-3's.

Not that handy in Photoshop. Wish there was a FSX program that would let you add extra aircraft like that on a whim.
If I could add stationary P-3's to that flightline that would be nice. No Randy, not a hint for you sir. Just a thought.

I was trying to illustrate a what was situation here at the Millington airport when one of the tennent commands was VP-67 and how they would
park their Aircraft. We had a C-9 outfit here VR-60, they had 2 C-9's one had "City of Millington" painted on the nose and the other was "City of Memphis".
They were spotted to the right of the P-3's near the Hanger Door entrance.

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 11:59
I increased the size of the hanger. Here's a screen shot of the biggest airplane I have in FSX. Looks fairly close to me. Attached is a new scenery bgl file.

RD

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 12:06
That's the new and improved KNQA. I did a copy paste edit in paint of the P-3's.Not that handy in Photoshop. Wish There was a FSX program that would let you add extra aircraft like that on a whim. If I could add stationary P-3's to that flightline that would be nice. No Randy, not a hint for you sir. Just a thought.

There already is such a program. It's ADEX. Just another reason for you to download it and just start learning to use it. You can do all kinds of scenery modifications with it simply using all the freeware scenery objects that are available on the web. I only got into Google SketchUp because I wanted to do my own custom scenery objects.

WARNING! If you ever do decide to have a go at it, it's highly addictive....

RD

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 12:25
Waaay more better Mr Randy, Thank you sir!!!! :salute:

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2013, 12:34
Waaay more better Mr Randy, Thank you sir!!!! :salute:

Looks great! Thanks from me too, Randy! NC

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 12:43
Looks great! Thanks from me too, Randy! NC

I was telling Don aka FSXTCCB about how how I remember when they would spot one of VP-67's
P-3's in the hanger for Phased Maintenance - The top of the Tail would just clear the rafters and the pigons would poop on the planes below;
not good for corrosion control. The Navy side hired some contractors to spread poison corn in there and when the word got out about that to Peta,
it all came to a screeching halt.

I know you remember the Phased Maintenance System; also the 3M system which as I remember one of my former shipmates
once describe to me and said:
"Muster"
"Mill Around"
and
"Make it"!!! :icon_lol:

fxsttcb
May 28th, 2013, 12:53
OK, what'd I do wrooooonnnng? My tower is MIA. I can see it in model converter, but, not in the scenery...Don

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 13:06
OK, what'd I do wrooooonnnng? My tower is MIA. I can see it in model converter, but, not in the scenery...Don

Don,

I must of sent you the older version. I will send you the newer one via PM. Just give me a minute to upload and give you the link.

I took Randy's advice (See his below) and zipped the actual scenery files and updates from the Addon Scenery folder in FSX that way you should have all the culumative
patches, mulligans and flagpoles and whatnots. I emailed it to you and the file is KNQA2. Should work ducky for ya.

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 13:15
Don,

I must of sent you the older version. I will send you the newer one via PM. Just give me a minute to upload and give you the link.

You might want to zip your complete scenery file and send that instead as you should have all the updates.

RD

fxsttcb
May 28th, 2013, 14:04
Got it. All is 5.0! Thanks guys. :salute:
Now all I need to do is relearn the doggone goony-bird, so, I can buzz that killer tower in style. :icon_lol: Don

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 14:15
Got it. All is 5.0! Thanks guys. :salute:
Now all I need to do is relearn the doggone goony-bird, so, I can buzz that killer tower in style. :icon_lol: Don

Cool Beans Don. Pretend you are Maverick and Goose is your co-pilot in your DC-3 and request a flyby from the tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGGhLihDmFk

Can you make your DC-3 do a Maverick, OK do you have a need....a need for speed!!!! :icon_lol:

Probably give that DC-3 internal hemorrhage doing a fly bye like Maverick did.

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 14:24
I'm pretty sure that a RD4/C-47 will not do that kind of turning and burning. Don, I'm glad you got everything all sorted and working.
BTW...I recreated a flight in my Ercoupe this morning using your Escort 110 Radio. Brought back some good memories :wiggle:of back when my son and I used to fly around South Georgia and East Alabama in "Scrappy II".

RD

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 15:20
I'm pretty sure that a RD4/C-47 will not do that kind of turning and burning. Don, I'm glad you got everything all sorted and working.
BTW...I recreated a flight in my Ercoupe this morning using your Escort 110 Radio. Brought back some good memories :wiggle:of back when my son and I used to fly around South Georgia and East Alabama in "Scrappy II".

RD

I was in your neck of the woods just a week ago, I went to The Villages Fl to see my 89 year old Dad who had a giant cancer tumor removed from his leg.
I went thru Tuscaloosa AL then thru Montgomery, Troy then south on 231 to I 10 then made a right on I 75 south about hour south of Gainsville FL. About 780 miles each way from Memphis.

Next time, I will go thru Birmingham to Columbus Ga then on to Valdosta on south on I 75. Went thru Plains Ga last year and saw Jimmy Carters home town.

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 15:58
I was in your neck of the woods just a week ago, I went to The Villages Fl to see my 89 year old Dad who had a giant cancer tumor removed from his leg. I went thru Tuscaloosa AL then thru Montgomery, Troy then south on 231 to I 10 then made a right on I 75 south about hour south of Gainsville FL. About 780 miles each way from Memphis. Next time, I will go thru Birmingham to Columbus Ga then on to Valdosta on south on I 75. Went thru Plains Ga last year and saw Jimmy Carters home town.

Seems like I remember your posts about your dad. How's he doing?

I have lived in Auburn, Montgomery, Greenville, Opelika, and Clanton, Alamama. I now live about 50 miles north of Valdosta. I once drove to Valdosta and back two days a week when I taught psychology for Valdosta State University. One semester I taught a graduate course out at Moody AFB. That's when I got the opportunity to get an hour's time in the F-16 :icon30:simulator. One of my students was a young 2nd Lt. who made the arrangements. Needless to say, she got an "A" in the course.:icon_lol:

RD

PRB
May 28th, 2013, 16:38
Here's some pics of NAS Millington, taken in 1980. Don't know how much use they might be. Place them in the "for what it's worth" folder...

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m07.jpg

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m02.jpg

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m03.jpg

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m04.jpg

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m05.jpg

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m06.jpg

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 16:46
Seems like I remember your posts about your dad. How's he doing?

I have lived in Auburn, Montgomery, Greenville, Opelika, and Clanton, Alamama. I now live about 50 miles north of Valdosta. I once drove to Valdosta and back two days a week when I taught psychology for Valdosta State University. One semester I taught a graduate course out at Moody AFB. That's when I got the opportunity to get an hour's time in the F-16 :icon30:simulator. One of my students was a young 2nd Lt. who made the arrangements. Needless to say, she got an "A" in the course.:icon_lol:

RD

My Dad is doing OK, so far. The tumor was the size of a ham and was wrapped around some of his leg muscles so some of the muscle had to go as well. The next thing after his therapy is
for a CT scan as the tumor has spread to his lungs. Hopefully, they can treat that as well. On my trip to home I stopped by Maxwell AFB at Montgomery "Bama. Nice base. I went to the
exchange and chatted with a female Tech Sgt in line behind me at the Exchange and was informed of the Mission of that Base. I guess is comparable to the Navy PostGrad school out in
Monterey CA. Only one C-130 squadron there and not too many planes there as I would of thought for an Air Force Base. The USAF knows how to ask congress for their operational funds
each FY. Any when they (USAF) builds an air station they build the "O" club and housing first and then ask for more funds for the runway. Navy builds the runways first then asks Congress for'
additional funds for the Housing and exchange. That may why the USAF has better looking housing then the Navy. I never have been to a dumpy USAF Base. The Navy is coming around as of
late and is trying to build better BOQ/BEQ etc. I worked here at millington for Navy Seabee division and wrote all the Seebee Officer orders and they go 18 months up to maybe 3 years before
they rotate.

FSX68
May 28th, 2013, 16:51
Here's some pics of NAS Millington, taken in 1980. Don't know how much use they might be. Place them in the "for what it's worth" folder...

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m05.jpg

http://prbdatasystems.com/pics/Millington/m06.jpg

The Marines moved out of the hanger to their new spaces and that red marine sign was painted over with blue and white NAVY AIMD logos. Now all of it is gone as the CIty
of Millington owns it. They got it all for $1. Below and to the right is windows for where I worked as Tech Pubs Librarian (Civil Service). My Kid Brother was stationed at AIMD
as an AMH1. He retired as AMHC. You notice the nose of a P3 on the bottom pic just almost at the hanger doors.

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 17:30
Thanks for the photos PRB. Looks like I got the big hanger fairly close. It also looks like the original tower stayed in place. Anyway for you Navy guys, I just couldn't stand the way that default second big hanger looked in the scenery. I just had to do something about it. So here's a WIP again. Please note that "Butch" is not behind this. I took this on simply because I wanted to try to make the scenery look better. As best as I can tell, this is the only other big hanger that I can see from Google Earth. Of course if I don't stop adding objects to this scenery, you guys will have a slide show.....:icon_lol:

This time I'm not releasing anything else until I get some feedback. So let me hear from the three of you'll who I know wanted this airport.

RD

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2013, 18:05
Well, I am appreciative of whatever is produced! I can't speak to the accuracy of things, as I wasn't at Millington but a few months. The old hangar I remember, so having that in the scenery is great! Naturally, I'll have to place one or two Skyhawks in the hangar for training:salute: NC

rdaniell
May 28th, 2013, 18:07
There were no active air squadrons at Maxwell even when I lived in Montgomery back in the 1970s. The base was and is part of the Air Training Command but not pilot training. It's where young officers starting with captains go for advanced academic training. After Squadron Officers School, they come back later when they have made Lt. Col. for the Air War College.

When I lived there the airplanes stationed there were C-7 Caribous belonging to an Air Force Reserve unit. I expect they have now been replaced with the Herks you saw.

There is also a Federal Prison there. Lots of recreational activities with one of the better golf courses.

Things are changing in the Air Force, however. Moody AFB, for example, no longer has any clubs on base. No enlisted, no NCO, and no Officers club.

RD

FSX68
May 29th, 2013, 06:14
Thanks for the photos PRB. Looks like I got the big hanger fairly close. It also looks like the original tower stayed in place. Anyway for you Navy guys, I just couldn't stand the way that default second big hanger looked in the scenery. I just had to do something about it. So here's a WIP again. Please note that "Butch" is not behind this. I took this on simply because I wanted to try to make the scenery look better. As best as I can tell, this is the only other big hanger that I can see from Google Earth. Of course if I don't stop adding objects to this scenery, you guys will have a slide show.....:icon_lol:

This time I'm not releasing anything else until I get some feedback. So let me hear from the three of you'll who I know wanted this airport.

RD

I can vouch for the AME School hanger as well. Looks great!!!! A big thanks for your efforts on this. 87889

Navy Chief
May 29th, 2013, 06:28
I'm quite familiar with Valdosta. Lived there for a short time in the late 90s. An ex-wife lives there. I have NO plans to visit Valdosta ever again! NC

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 07:06
I'm quite familiar with Valdosta. Lived there for a short time in the late 90s. An ex-wife lives there. I have NO plans to visit Valdosta ever again! NC

AW! Come on Navy Chief show a little backbone :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

RD

Navy Chief
May 29th, 2013, 07:33
AW! Come on Navy Chief show a little backbone :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

RD

Oh, no problem with my backbone. I just try to avoid being near evil! NC

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 07:35
Well, look what all of sudden showed up on the ramp in front of the BIG HANGER!

RD

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 08:15
Looks like one of the P-3s is taxing out to do some touch and goes. This airplane is the P-3 that is included in the AI package for the VietNam War Project.
I'm attaching the traffic bgl for anyone who wants it. You will have to have the AI P-3 from the VietNam War Project installed for this to work. It is also not FSX native so if it causes problems with other AI traffic, just delete it. Install the bgl in the scenery folder for KNQA.

RD

FSX68
May 29th, 2013, 09:06
Looks like one of the P-3s is taxing out to do some touch and goes. This airplane is the P-3 that is included in the AI package for the VietNam War Project.
I'm attaching the traffic bgl for anyone who wants it. You will have to have the AI P-3 from the VietNam War Project installed for this to work. It is also not FSX native so if it causes problems with other AI traffic, just delete it. Install the bgl in the scenery folder for KNQA.

RD

Ok I found the page

http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/index.html

where is the AI P-3? Do I have to D/L the base pack?

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 09:19
Ok I found the page http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/index.html
where is the AI P-3? Do I have to D/L the base pack?

Yes. Download the entire package. That way you get all the AI airplanes plus a lot of really good scenery for South East Asia.

RD

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 11:34
I programmed one airplane to take off and do a few touch and goes every 4 hours. The other two airplanes are programmed to only fly once a week. They are programmed to just take off and fly around for about 15 minutes and then return. I just had the opportunity to fire up FSX and watch the P-3 do touch and goes. Everything looked OK. I can't vouch that this traffic file will not interfer with the default traffic as I don't have that file installed.

I've read differing opinions on this. Some take the position that FS9 traffic files don't interfere. While others say that they do. Like I stated above, if it does, just delete it. Perhaps someone who knows how to convert a FS9 traffic bgl to FSX can come to the rescue.

RD

fxsttcb
May 29th, 2013, 12:45
I programmed one airplane to take off and do a few touch and goes every 4 hours. The other two airplanes are programmed to only fly once a week. They are programmed to just take off and fly around for about 15 minutes and then return. I just had the opportunity to fire up FSX and watch the P-3 do touch and goes. Everything looked OK. I can't vouch that this traffic file will not interfer with the default traffic as I don't have that file installed.

I've read differing opinions on this. Some take the position that FS9 traffic files don't interfere. While others say that they do. Like I stated above, if it does, just delete it. Perhaps someone who knows how to convert a FS9 traffic bgl to FSX can come to the rescue.

RDJust one FS9 format traffic file will disable any and all FSX format traffic. AI Flight Planner v2 is what I use for the conversion. Works a charm. In Avsim or Flightsim libraries.

My oh my! Now I have to find an AI A-4 or two to keep those Orions company! Might just have to do a VP-67 paint too...Don

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 13:10
Just one FS9 format traffic file will disable any and all FSX format traffic. AI Flight Planner v2 is what I use for the conversion. Works a charm. In Avsim or Flightsim libraries. My oh my! Now I have to find an AI A-4 or two to keep those Orions company! Might just have to do a VP-67 paint too...Don

So, Don, you are going to take care of the conversion of the traffic bgl, right?

RD

Dimus
May 29th, 2013, 13:11
These are just FS9 models. I believe RD compiled the bgl as FSX so no problems there. The only issue is that the plane models are not FSX native and that might cost in FPS.

I wonder if the P3 model can be made static. I know it is possible as I had done it with Manfred's AI connie for the Fantasy of Flight but got his permission first. If the maker of these AI models can give his permission I may convert this and give it to you as static scenery bgl to park on the aprons. Or better yet look at the usual sites for existing static P-3 models.

Navy Chief
May 29th, 2013, 13:18
I thought perhaps Guy Diotte had done a static P-3 already, but not so......NC

FSX68
May 29th, 2013, 13:55
These are just FS9 models. I believe RD compiled the bgl as FSX so no problems there. The only issue is that the plane models are not FSX native and that might cost in FPS.

I wonder if the P3 model can be made static. I know it is possible as I had done it with Manfred's AI connie for the Fantasy of Flight but got his permission first. If the maker of these AI models can give his permission I may convert this and give it to you as static scenery bgl to park on the aprons. Or better yet look at the usual sites for existing static P-3 models.

A few static P-3 parked facing the side AIMD hanger (like VP-67 did) would be awesome. 87902
This is a picture I created and made the multiple P-3's to look like static and parked like they use to back in the day.

rdaniell
May 29th, 2013, 14:37

Dimus, I used TTools to compile the traffic file. It's a FS9 file. I just re-installed the default traffic file and nothing else showed up. I'm afraid in order to have the default triffic AI at Millington, Don, or someone, will need to compile a native FSX traffic bgl. for the P-3s. I mostly just wanted to see how they would look in the scenery.

RD

Victory103
May 29th, 2013, 15:02
Gents, head over the Owl's Nest and use his handy AI tracker:

http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/aiaircraft.php

The JAI P-3 works better than the flyable FS-KBT model for AI purposes.

M. Pearson has updated the original NBAI A-4, you can find 4 parts USN/USMC paints for them on Avsim, including VMA-124.

Both models work fine in FSX as long as you use the above mentioned AIFP2 to convert your flightplans to FSX standard.

Navy Chief
May 29th, 2013, 15:10
Do a search for Guy Diotte's static models on Flightsim.com. He has done some great ones, including the A-7 Corsair, T-2 Buckeye, A-4'Skyhawk, and many others! NC

FSX - FSX Scenery Objects

Name: fsxa4skyhawkstatic.zip
Size: 805,120 Date: 03-06-2011 Downloads: 404

FSX Douglas A4 Skyhawk Static Plane. The plane can be put in any scenery by any object placement tool. The plane comes in a library and also as a model (MDL) in US Marines grey markings. By Guy Diotte.

Sieggie
May 29th, 2013, 16:18
Does anyone else seem to have a crash box around the entire airport? I can not get anywhere near it without crashing.

Dave

Dimus
May 30th, 2013, 01:24
Dimus, I used TTools to compile the traffic file. It's a FS9 file. I just re-installed the default traffic file and nothing else showed up. I'm afraid in order to have the default triffic AI at Millington, Don, or someone, will need to compile a native FSX traffic bgl. for the P-3s. I mostly just wanted to see how they would look in the scenery.

RD
Send it to me Randy. I'll compile it to FSX.

Chief, Guy Diotte has done many nice static planes, I've used them in my few sceneries and they add a lot in the atmosphere. I did not find any P-3s so for this I suggested using the AI models and convert them to static bgl. If the designer of these models is OK I can do it and you can place them around at KNQA.

rdaniell
May 30th, 2013, 05:56
Does anyone else seem to have a crash box around the entire airport? I can not get anywhere near it without crashing.
Dave

Well Dave, your question has been up for two days now with no response. Looks like no one else is having a problem with crashes. Have you tired checking "ignore crashes" in your FSX settings?

RD

Sieggie
May 30th, 2013, 06:43
Well Dave, your question has been up for two days now with no response. Looks like no one else is having a problem with crashes. Have you tired checking "ignore crashes" in your FSX settings?

RD

RD,

Does it crash on you with "ignore crashes" not checked. I do not normally fly with "ignore crashes" checked.

Dave

rdaniell
May 30th, 2013, 07:28
RD, Does it crash on you with "ignore crashes" not checked. I do not normally fly with "ignore crashes" checked.
Dave

Dave, check your p.m. box. OK fellows, I can't help Dave with this problem as I can't duplicate it on my computer. I'm sure that he would really appreciate it if someone with a lot more knowledge about FSX than me would see if you can help him.

RD

Sieggie
May 30th, 2013, 12:05
Dave, check your p.m. box. OK fellows, I can't help Dave with this problem as I can't duplicate it on my computer. I'm sure that he would really appreciate it if someone with a lot more knowledge about FSX than me would see if you can help him.

RD

I PMed you back. I will look inward to solve this as it is apparently something with my installation of the scenery.

Thanks,

Dave

rdaniell
May 30th, 2013, 13:20
OK fellows, Dimus just e-mailed me the FSX traffic file for Millington. I'm attaching it to this post. I installed the traffic file and did a quick test run. The P-3s show up along with the default traffic so everything should be good to go. Make sure you delete any old traffic bgls.

Butch, I'm putting you back in charge of distribution again. So anybody just now reading this, please p.m. FSX68 for a copy.

RD

FSX68
May 30th, 2013, 13:43
OK fellows, Dimus just e-mailed me the FSX traffic file for Millington. I'm attaching it to this post. I installed the traffic file and did a quick test run. The P-3s show up along with the default traffic so everything should be good to go. Make sure you delete any old traffic bgls.

Butch, I'm putting you back in charge of distribution again. So anybody just now reading this, please p.m. FSX68 for a copy.

RD

Will there be P-3's flying into knqa (touch and go's/parking) or what?
Do I still need that Viet-nam scenery to make the P-3's visable?

Thanks

rdaniell
May 30th, 2013, 15:07
Will there be P-3's flying into knqa (touch and go's/parking) or what? Do I still need that Viet-nam scenery to make the P-3's visable?

Yes, you will still need to download all the VietNam War Project files. I think there is a total of three. I can highly recommend the scenery as it covers a lot of Southeast Asia with airports and all kinds of AI airplanes one of which is the P-3.

Once you get that installed, you should then see three (3) P-3s parked on the ramp. One of them takes off and does touch and goes every four hours. The other two only fly once a week on a specific day. I think I programmed them to fly on Mondays and Wednesdays. The reason for that is you should always have some P3s sitting on the ramp almost like on static display.

RD

FSX68
May 30th, 2013, 16:20
Randy,

It Works Great!!! Thanks 8797087969 87972I hope someday I can learn how to do this stuff 87971

rdaniell
May 30th, 2013, 16:29
Randy,

It Works Great!!! Thanks 87970 Maybe some day I can learn this stuff 87971

Hey brother, if I can learn how to do this, you can too. :running: I found your original thread requesting this airport revision from way back in 2012. I'm glad it has finally all come together for you.

RD

CODY
May 30th, 2013, 19:29
Hey Randy...Thanks for the heads up on this.:applause:

fxsttcb
June 1st, 2013, 03:15

WIP VP-67 P-3 repaint, using the Jake Burrus model, Michael MacIntyre FDE, and paint kit by Graham King
The MAIW package I scrounged the stuff from is here: http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/maiw.php #105 MCBH Kaneohe Bay V.3.0
As Victory103 noted, these don't seem to have any where near the frame rate hit of the converted KBT birds.

I have 8 MAIW P-3 variation folders and the "MAIW_JAI_P-3C MCBH Kaneohe Bay" had the closest base texture(VP-47) to what I wanted.
I modeled it after a picture taken at Millington, but, have no idea when the livery was in use. One BuNo down, five to go!
Later I found another shot of the exact same plane, taken at NAS Whidbey Island in 1980, so I don't know if it is correct for KNQA.

Right now I have 9 AI planes, 6 VP-67, 3 VMA-124, and 2 static A-4s(Guy Diotte, awaiting "NATTC Memphis" paint jobs).
With Randy's base, modded to add a ton more parking, she's starting to really come alive.

The AS F-8 is almost complete, so, I can devote a little more time to this long overdue update.
Thanks to Randy for the wonderful models, and Butch for the inspiration, the "Thunderchickens" will once again live at my "NAS Memphis" errr...Millington Municipal...Don

Navy Chief
June 1st, 2013, 04:09

WIP VP-67 P-3 repaint, using the Jake Burrus model, Michael MacIntyre FDE, and paint kit by Graham King
The MAIW package I scrounged the stuff from is here: http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/maiw.php #105 MCBH Kaneohe Bay V.3.0
As Victory103 noted, these don't seem to have any where near the frame rate hit of the converted KBT birds.

I have 8 MAIW P-3 variation folders and the "MAIW_JAI_P-3C MCBH Kaneohe Bay" had the closest base texture(VP-47) to what I wanted.
I modeled it after a picture taken at Millington, but, have no idea when the livery was in use. One BuNo down, five to go!
Later I found another shot of the exact same plane, taken at NAS Whidbey Island in 1980, so I don't know if it is correct for KNQA.

Right now I have 9 AI planes, 6 VP-67, 3 VMA-124, and 2 static A-4s(Guy Diotte, awaiting "NATTC Memphis" paint jobs).
With Randy's base, modded to add a ton more parking, she's starting to really come alive.

The AS F-8 is almost complete, so, I can devote a little more time to this long overdue update.
Thanks to Randy for the wonderful models, and Butch for the inspiration, the "Thunderchickens" will once again live at my "NAS Memphis" errr...Millington Municipal...Don

That looks incredible! And Randy, the hangar is so detailed! Love it....NC

FSX68
June 1st, 2013, 04:21

Don,
WOW!!! That's looking good. It's will be great to see this all come together with the planes that once were the tenant squadrons there.

Navy Chief
June 1st, 2013, 05:12
Don,

Is there much of an impact on FPS? If not, I would really like to fill flightlines at NAS Cecil similarly, or at NAS Jacksonville with Orions. So awesome!

NC

FSX68
June 1st, 2013, 06:13
Don,

Is there much of an impact on FPS? If not, I would really like to fill flightlines at NAS Cecil similarly, or at NAS Jacksonville with Orions. So awesome!

NC

And maybe a few SH-3's at the seawall at NAS JAX....88037

Navy Chief
June 1st, 2013, 06:28
And maybe a few SH-3's at the seawall at NAS JAX....88037

It's somewhat ironic in a way. When I was stationed at Cecil Field as a PO2 with VA-15, it was
a difficult time. Work on those jets was sometimes 15 hours a day, 6-7 days a week at times (Corrosion Inspection preps, especially). Time with the family was strained, as I remember just wanting to sleep when not at work.

And yet, I think back on the friendships made, and the sense of pride, having served proudly.

So flight simming let's me remember the good times. NC

fxsttcb
June 1st, 2013, 07:07
Don,

NCI have tons of traffic, but, even running at 5GHz I saw a pretty good hit(6-8FPS) with only three FS KBT P-3s. I normally have a hundred plus AI flying, according to Traffic explorer, so, those three hit hard.
Right now, 100% slider, gives 305 AI total(I also have nearby KMEM filled with loads of FedEx). With none at KNQA enabled, I see my locked 30FPS, +- a tic, or 2.
When I include the 6 MAIW P-3s and the 3 A-4s{NMAI_A-4E (Late)_Skyhawk}, I'm seeing solid 28FPS+, in locked spot, all KNQA AI are in the view, and two moving. Not too bad. Not too bad, at all.

I don't know what those Sqdn's compliment were, but, 9 AI works so good for me, I think there's plenty of room for more.

MAIW has a lot of P-3 Variations, in different packages, one of which is NAS Jacksonville(VP-5, VP-16, VP-30, VP-45 and VP-62). Some of those packages may be better than others...Don

rdaniell
June 1st, 2013, 07:43
Well, it looks like my work is done here. I think I'll just mossie on along :running: :pop4: to a new project now that this one appears to be in good :applause: hands.

Who was that masked man anyway? :icon_lol:

I hope all of you get a lot of enjoyment out of the scenery. :salute:

RD

FSX68
June 1st, 2013, 08:26
I have tons of traffic, but, even running at 5GHz I saw a pretty good hit(6-8FPS) with only three FS KBT P-3s. I normally have a hundred plus AI flying, according to Traffic explorer, so, those three hit hard.
Right now, 100% slider, gives 305 AI total(I also have nearby KMEM filled with loads of FedEx). With none at KNQA enabled, I see my locked 30FPS, +- a tic, or 2.
When I include the 6 MAIW P-3s and the 3 A-4s{NMAI_A-4E (Late)_Skyhawk}, I'm seeing solid 28FPS+, in locked spot, all KNQA AI are in the view, and two moving. Not too bad. Not too bad, at all.

I don't know what those Sqdn's compliment were, but, 9 AI works so good for me, I think there's plenty of room for more.

MAIW has a lot of P-3 Variations, in different packages, one of which is NAS Jacksonville(VP-5, VP-16, VP-30, VP-45 and VP-62). Some of those packages may be better than others...Don

Don,

I sent you email with some photos of about where both squadrons had spotted their A/C. In Randy's latest rendition of KNQA, the new hanger built in '91 was where the Marines moved to
and parked their A/C and did maintenance in that hanger. It's not depicted in the latest KNQA. It was there in the older version but the AME school hanger was not as nice looking as it
is newer version. I hope Randy can put it back if you decide on spotting A-4s in front of that Hanger.

Edit: I just figured out how to fix this so Randy, let not your heart be troubled. 88047

FSX68
June 1st, 2013, 10:27
Some pictures of the P-3 at KNQA and the AI one landing. Pretty Cool. 88049

fxsttcb
June 2nd, 2013, 07:37
Well, it looks like my work is done here. I think I'll just mossie on along :running: :pop4: to a new project now that this one appears to be in good :applause: hands.

Who was that masked man anyway? :icon_lol:

I hope all of you get a lot of enjoyment out of the scenery. :salute:

RDThe lone stranger is off to do another good deed! :icon_lol:
Thanks again Randy. Your models have made a full boogie KNQA possible for me. :salute:

Standby Butch! Here's the stitched together Northside background guide I made. Now I can really get busy!...Don

FSX68
June 2nd, 2013, 09:10
The lone stranger is off to do another good deed! :icon_lol:
Thanks again Randy. Your models have made a full boogie KNQA possible for me. :salute:

Standby Butch! Here's the stitched together Northside background guide I made. Now I can really get busy!...Don

Holy Molie!! That photo shows the "Veterans Parkway" aka Millington bypass that runs parallel to the runway?
If you incorporate that, may I suggest that (if you can and do) to make that asphalt black as all that roadway in brown is now paved and
open to the public. I have attached a more recent aerial view of KNQA and you can see the new paved roadway that runs parallel to the main runway.
Hope that helps.
If you are interested on other photos that may help here is a link that was tracking progress of this new road way and you may see views of the airport that may help.

http://www.veteransparkwaymillington.com/index.asp

I have a panorama view of the airport but it is too large to post here.

fxsttcb
June 4th, 2013, 01:51
Here's the updated WIP. I'm still learning ADE.
Your VP is there, but, there aren't that many taxiway textures to choose from, and none that are REALLY dark. At least nothing that I've found...Don

Dimus
June 4th, 2013, 02:21
The darkest is the asphalt type. It will then depend on the textures you have installed, i.e. if you have addon textures for runways and taxiways like REX.

fxsttcb
June 4th, 2013, 03:22
The darkest is the asphalt type. It will then depend on the textures you have installed, i.e. if you have addon textures for runways and taxiways like REX.
No add-on textures are being used. Using a test patch, I see that Asphalt is one of the lighter grey textures. Tarmac, Oil Treated, Bituminous, and Steel Mats are much darker. Just not dark enough.
I'm not very well versed in scenery design for FSX. Is there a method of using a "Custom" texture on polygons, aprons, and the variety of Taxi links?...Don

FSX68
June 4th, 2013, 03:47
Here's the updated WIP. I'm still learning ADE.
Your VP is there, but, there aren't that many taxiway textures to choose from, and none that are REALLY dark. At least nothing that I've found...Don

Don,

Look great!! How much of a problem would it be the have those P-3's face in the other direction i.e. nose of P-3s facing the AIMD Hanger like they really did. If it's problem then
that's fine just wanted to let you know before you release it and perhaps nip that in the bud before you release it. Thanks.

:applause:

fxsttcb
June 4th, 2013, 06:30
Revised parking for the VP-67 birds, added some spots for the VMA-124 A-4s, and put a couple of static A-4s(NATTC Memphis) along the AIMD buildings west side.

I also properly located a few trees, and added a firestation where the fuel dump is at in RW. Lots, lots, more to do.

Ain't no bout adoubt it, I need to learn modeling if I'm gonna do scenery...Don

rdaniell
June 4th, 2013, 06:59
Revised parking for the VP-67 birds, added some spots for the VMA-124 A-4s, and put a couple of static A-4s(NATTC Memphis) along the AIMD buildings west side. I also properly located a few trees, and added a firestation where the fuel dump is at in RW. Lots, lots, more to do.

Turn back now Don before it's too late.:running: You're not addicted YET! Next thing you know, you'll be riding around in the country thinking: "I wonder :isadizzy:how much work it would be to model that (insert building, etc. here). Then comes, I think I'll be satisfied with this project if I just add one more object.:stop:

Of course I'm just joshing you.:icon_lol: I'm impressed with what you have already done to my original Millington project.:icon29::icon29:

RD

FSX68
June 4th, 2013, 07:17
Revised parking for the VP-67 birds, added some spots for the VMA-124 A-4s, and put a couple of static A-4s(NATTC Memphis) along the AIMD buildings west side.

I also properly located a few trees, and added a firestation where the fuel dump is at in RW. Lots, lots, more to do.

Don,

This looks awesome. Even the grease spots (shadows) where planes were parked is spot on. I remember after the Brac '93 and after the station planes left there that it was some time before those
silhouettes went away. I like seeing the DC-3 on the line there. WOW, I sure you like what you've done to the place. I really appreciate Randy's efforts in putting up with me and having
changes make from time to time. This is going to be great. :icon30: As a suggestion, where you have those 2 A-4's were 2 C-9's (VRC-60) and that green hanger is where the Marines
spotted their A-4's . My attached pic shows the hanger that was built for VMF-124 back in early 90's. I have your DC-3 parked in front of that hanger and it looks like that building
could let out the seams and increase its size a bit more. The DC-3 sort of dwarfs that building. That particular hanger is occupied by Beechcraft planes of all sorts now.

fxsttcb
June 4th, 2013, 07:24
Turn back now Don before it's too late.:running: You're not addicted YET! Next thing you know, you'll be riding around in the country thinking: "I wonder :isadizzy:how much work it would be to model that (insert building, etc. here). Then comes, I think I'll be satisfied with this project if I just add one more object.:stop:

Of course I'm just joshing you.:icon_lol: I'm impressed with what you have already done to my original Millington project.:icon29::icon29:

RDI'm addicted to creating stuff for my sims already! :icon_lol:
I already look at things and think "I wonder"! You too? Hey!
Besides, what's another discipline to us addicts? Modeling has always been one of those "I'll learn it tomorrow" things, but, lately I'm getting an itch.
My ancient CAD/CAM experience should at least give me a little foundation.

I had started an "NAS Memphis" quite a while back, but, knowing I couldn't really do it justice, I gave up.

Along you came, with the models for the AIMD building,:applause: FBO:applause:, and Tower:applause:, and stoked the fire! :salute:
Maybe I can actually do it proud now. Thank you, Sir!..Don

rdaniell
June 4th, 2013, 07:35
Don, this is one of my flying hobbies that I don't have to buy av gas, hanger rental, glow fuel, repair and/or replace crashed RC airplanes, etc. Only downside is I can go days without ever leaving my house. (I'm retired.)

As encouragement for you to learn SketchUp, I attaching a shot of one of my first buildings.

RD

FSX68
June 4th, 2013, 07:50
I'm addicted to creating stuff for my sims already! :icon_lol:
Besides, what's another discipline to us addicts? Modeling has always been one of those "I'll learn it tomorrow" things, but, lately I'm getting an itch.

I had started an "NAS Memphis" quite a while back, but, knowing I couldn't really do it justice, I gave up.

Along you came, with the models for the AIMD building,:applause: FBO:applause:, and Tower:applause:, and stoked the fire! :salute:

Don,

Here are a few pics of that Hanger were VMA-124 was and is the Tulsair Hanger,

fxsttcb
June 4th, 2013, 08:41
Don, this is one of my flying hobbies that I don't have to buy av gas, hanger rental, glow fuel, repair and/or replace crashed RC airplanes, etc. Only downside is I can go days without ever leaving my house. (I'm retired.)

As encouragement for you to learn SketchUp, I attaching a shot of one of my first buildings.

RDOh, it has to be easier than doing the old scasm APIs! At least now we can see what we're doing.
Here's my best shot at doing MCAS Beaufort for FS98 a long, looooooong, time ago!
Getting those Hangers to show properly, with interiors was an adventure...

Here are a few pics of that Hanger were VMA-124 was and is the Tulsair HangerI didn't recognize it! Amazing what a little paint and renovation will do!...Don

FSX68
June 4th, 2013, 11:22

RD

Is this the Google Sketchup? If so, I was watching some youtube training video, looks pretty neat. Only think is I would have to learn how to import/export sketchup drawings into ADE.

rdaniell
June 4th, 2013, 11:41
Is this the Google Sketchup? If so, I was watching some youtube training video, looks pretty neat. Only think is I would have to learn how to import/export sketchup drawings into ADE.

Yes. All the custom scenery objects I made for Millington where done using SketchUp. I just downloaded the "free" version and starting learning. The tutorial videos that come with it are a big help. There's also a lot of other tutorials on the web. Once you learn how to make the model, you will then need to learn how to use Model Converter X to convert the DAE file into a BGL file so they can be used in ADEX. Model Converter also converts the texture files to DDS. I went to FS Developer and downloaded everything available.

I've only been at this for about 6 months or so. I have to admit that my greatest satisfaction was getting to the point where I could at least make the scenery objects that I wanted; rather, than hoping that somewhere/someone had already done them. As is evident from my objects, I have a long, long, long way to go before my objects will be all that great. Main thing is I'm happy with what I've accomplished so far. And in realiity, I'm the only one who will be using most of what I create anyway.

I did a lot of posting of my projects here at the Outhouse and received a lot of help along the way.

RD

fxsttcb
June 9th, 2013, 04:00
Still making progess.

Butch, Creating the Veterans Parkway using ADE's vehicle paths caused all different kinds of undulations in the terrain. The highway itself stayed flat, at the airport's altitude, while the surrounding terrain followed the normal mesh.
Looked great from above, but, at ground level it looked terrible. Too bad that it's replacement using an SBuilderX "line/road" isn't as sharp. I might try creating it as a series of colored polies to see if it looks better.

I've got most of my AI repainting done too. With Randy's permission to include his models, I'll pack it up when completed...Don

FSX68
June 9th, 2013, 04:10
Still making progess.

Butch, Creating the Veterans Parkway using ADE's vehicle paths caused all different kinds of undulations in the terrain. The highway itself stayed flat, at the airport's altitude, while the surrounding terrain followed the normal mesh.
Looked great from above, but, at ground level it looked terrible. Too bad that it's replacement using an SBuilderX "line/road" isn't as sharp. I might try creating it as a series of colored polies to see if it looks better.

I've got most of my AI repainting done too. With Randy's permission to include his models, I'll pack it up when completed...Don

Sounds like a plan Don, it's looking more like it use to was back in the day. :icon30:

rdaniell
June 9th, 2013, 04:37
Still making progess. I've got most of my AI repainting done too. With Randy's permission to include his models, I'll pack it up when completed...Don

Don, permission granted. :running:

RD

fxsttcb
June 9th, 2013, 05:43
Don, permission granted. :running:

RD
Bless you, Sir! :salute:

fxsttcb
June 9th, 2013, 05:49
...it's looking more like it use to was back in the day. :icon30:I decided that the East side could reflect "today" and the West side be more representative of the '70s.
I downloaded Sketchup, and am reading up. Hopefully, I can get good enough to attempt KNQA NAS Memphis v2. Including Southside.
I really want the chow hall and that Viggie on a stick!...Don

rdaniell
June 9th, 2013, 06:02
I decided that the East side could reflect "today" and the West side be more representative of the '70s.
I downloaded Sketchup, and am reading up. Hopefully, I can get good enough to attempt KNQA NAS Memphis v2. Including Southside.
I really want the chow hall and that Viggie on a stick!...Don

Did the "Mess Hall" look anything like this screen shot?

RD

fxsttcb
June 9th, 2013, 07:15
Did the "Mess Hall" look anything like this screen shot?

RDNo, but, that looks awesome! :salute:

IIRC, the Chow Hall is(was?) the kind of octanagonal shaped building on the south side of Intrepid, between Wasp and Hornet...Don

rdaniell
June 9th, 2013, 07:32
No, but, that looks awesome! :salute: IIRC, the Chow Hall is(was?) the kind of octanagonal shaped building on the south side of Intrepid, between Wasp and Hornet...Don

Thanks for the compliment. I thought I'd let you take a look. No need to duplicate something that's already been modeled.:running: (BTW, I got your p.m. Good luck.)

RD

FSX68
June 9th, 2013, 09:46
I'm addicted to creating stuff for my sims already! :icon_lol:

Don,

I have some pics of the viggie on a stick and some other ones for old memories sake.

No, the Marine is not me.....In front of Chow Hall....

South side as it is today.

Check out the Beards and CPO uni's for E-6 and Below from the Zumwalt days CIrca '70's

Barracks from the late 60's

fxsttcb
June 13th, 2013, 06:43
It took some time to sort thru things I didn't quite understand using ADE9X and SbuilderX, but, here she is: "KNQA NAS Memphis".

Ok, so, half NAS Memphis, half Millington Municipal...Don

rdaniell
June 13th, 2013, 07:08
It took some time to sort thru things I didn't quite understand using ADE9X and SbuilderX, but, here she is: "KNQA NAS Memphis".
Ok, so, half NAS Memphis, half Millington Municipal...Don88621

Looks good Don.:applause: I spit a mouthful of coffe onto my computer screen laughing at the last part of your readme....:icon_lol::icon_lol:

RD

fxsttcb
September 25th, 2013, 04:13
It's been a few months on and off, but, it's as good as my meager talent allows.
Thanks to Randy, and Butch, for the good Beta feedback, "KNQA NAS Memphis-Millington" has been uploaded...Don