PDA

View Full Version : What Causes This?

PutPut
May 22nd, 2013, 19:49
I recently reinstalled a model of the LHA-5 helo landing ship in FSX. I got this model from fs-shipyards.org many moons ago. Didn't have this problem before. Seems I remember a thread about something similar a while back but I don't have a clue how to search for it. The vessel shows correctly in the water until one gets close as in the picture. Then, the land jumps up as shown. I suspect it has something to do with LOD's but that is not my area of expertise. Any advice is appreciated.

Paul:isadizzy::pop4:

Emile
May 22nd, 2013, 19:58
Hello,
What happens when you move the ship to an other position? Does the "ground" follow?

PutPut
May 22nd, 2013, 20:01
Hello,
What happens when you move the ship to an other position? Does the "ground" follow?

This model was offered in a fixed position off the So Cal coast. I have not tried to decompile the .bgl file to see if it can be moved. I should mention there is no other add-on scenery in this area and this is the only vessel I have installed that shows this funny business.

Best, Paul

roger-wilco-66
May 22nd, 2013, 21:33
I'd open the model BGL with Arno Gerretsens ModelconverterX and have a look at the model. Also, I'd check the object placement BGL to see how the object is placed.
It's a funny effect for sure. I'm sure the captain has a rug dance with the admiral for putting the LHA ashore on some rock off the coast...:jump:

Cheers,
Mark

Lionheart
May 22nd, 2013, 23:08
Paul,

Just in case, like if you just reloaded FSX or got a new computer, make sure you have the SP1 and SP2 updates. This might be an issue concerning that.

What I think is happening is that for some reason, the ship is up out of water, and it has a airport mated to the deck, so the land is coming up to the deck like it would if it were lover land, like a bad place runway that has the wrong surface altitude with the lay of the land.

I'll bet Arno could figure this out quick.

Bill

Python231
May 23rd, 2013, 00:13
I recently reinstalled a model of the LHA-5 helo landing ship in FSX. I got this model from fs-shipyards.org many moons ago. Didn't have this problem before. Seems I remember a thread about something similar a while back but I don't have a clue how to search for it. The vessel shows correctly in the water until one gets close as in the picture. Then, the land jumps up as shown. I suspect it has something to do with LOD's but that is not my area of expertise. Any advice is appreciated.

Paul:isadizzy::pop4:

Haha, that made me laugh!

Quicksand
May 23rd, 2013, 03:55
I have the same problem, Paul. I have no idea how to fix it. :blind:

Sieggie
May 23rd, 2013, 05:18
If it is in fact a stationary object placed as a bgl, you might import the bgl into ADE and change the airport altitude to place the boat closer to the water.

Dave

PutPut
May 23rd, 2013, 11:51
OK, Further investigation revealed the following. I looked at the vessel in ModConvX and it looks correct. It sits on the water line and there is only LOD 100. I decompiled the .bgl with Scruffyducks bgl2xml_137 which gave me a .mdl and xml file. I placed it off Hawaii and it showed the same. I placed it in the middle of the Atlantic where I know there are no other add-ons within miles and it showed the same. It appears to be a function of distance; greater than about 5 miles it sits in the water as it should, go a little closer and up jumps the devil. The closer you get the size of the dirt shrinks until it is as shown in the original pic. I have several other static ships in my copy of FSX and none of them show this problem. I checked a few of my vessels moving on an AI track and they are also OK. At this point I decided life is too short and deleted the offending vessel.

Best, Paul:isadizzy::isadizzy:

rdaniell
May 23rd, 2013, 12:20
OK, Further investigation revealed the following. I looked at the vessel in ModConvX and it looks correct. It sits on the water line and there is only LOD 100. I decompiled the .bgl with Scruffyducks bgl2xml_137 which gave me a .mdl and xml file. I placed it off Hawaii and it showed the same. I placed it in the middle of the Atlantic where I know there are no other add-ons within miles and it showed the same. It appears to be a function of distance; greater than about 5 miles it sits in the water as it should, go a little closer and up jumps the devil. The closer you get the size of the dirt shrinks until it is as shown in the original pic. I have several other static ships in my copy of FSX and none of them show this problem. I checked a few of my vessels moving on an AI track and they are also OK. At this point I decided life is too short and deleted the offending vessel. Best, Paul:isadizzy::isadizzy:

AMEN TO THAT!!!:applause:

RD