PDA

View Full Version : Port Moresby Progress

Pen32Win
January 11th, 2009, 01:25
After spending most of the day messing with G2K and EZLC figuring what textures you get from which Landclass, only to figure out it depends on where in the world you're at...LOL I did make some progress on the PM project. The Landclass is completed and the Gound BGL for Kila is done.

BTW, the black strip around Kila's runway is supposed to be that way.
The bedding/foundation was Black Loam with PSP laid over it.

I'm going to do all of the ground BGL's then do the GSL. That way I can make sure I don't lay waste to everyones FPS when I add another field. So here's the Town of PM, 3 Mile Kila and 17 Mile Durand.

Next up the two big fields, Wards and Jackson. Unfortunatly because of the terrain I don't think I'm going to be able to connect them like they were. The elevation difference is just too big for one flat area. In reality you could taxi from one field to the other.

PS. The third picture is just another look at things in the PNG pipeline. Not a PM field but the Aircraft from PM hit it so hard and so many times they coined a new phrase for totally cratering a field... "Glousterized"

Rami
January 11th, 2009, 02:26
Pen32Win,

Ok, you have a deal. I promised that if I got an updated Port Moresby complex, I would update Defense of Australia.

Thanks, man!

AGAS 5
January 11th, 2009, 02:43
Looks the goods Pen :jump:

Keep up the great work.

Pete

Jagdflieger
January 11th, 2009, 04:57
They look like aerial recon photos.

Shadow Wolf 07
January 11th, 2009, 08:03
Excellent work my man. I'm jealous. I've got to download that G2K stuff and give her a try. I'd like to see Maskrider's Philippines redone in GSL - a huge project.

Pen32Win
January 11th, 2009, 10:48
Many Thanks to all;

You guys keep me going.

Jagd, most of the fields I've done to this point are created with Aerial Recon Photos as the background!!! LOL I actually find them to be better than many of the hand drawn maps, which tend to be out of scale.

Rami, you're going to have to keep that promise. I've got 6 of the PM fields in the works. BTW, did DoA use 30 Mile Rorana? (sp)

SW, I've spoken to MR about his PI collection in regaurds to GSL'ing them. He's pretty busy right now but I did drop a bug in his ear about just "Re-Releasing" them with the only change being the removal of the BGL Infrastructure Objects. Then the CFS2 Community could Repopulate them with GSL Objects. We'd just have to create Layout files of his fields, install the new "Ground Only" BGL's and then add the Layouts from GSLEdit. From that point we could just create Single GOB GSL Files for distribution.

Back to the Field, got a Dozer ready to rumble into Wards...5 Mile that is...:ernae:

Rami
January 11th, 2009, 10:53
Pen32Win,

I'll have to check.

erufle
January 11th, 2009, 11:31
That is a BIG promise to make Rami because everyone will hold you to it and bug you to death until it is done (kind of like the Vietnam install I imagine). DoA may be the most popular campaign add-on of all time. I urge you to take your time and do it up right with an appropriate level of detail and maybe some new missions.
:a1451:

Now that I have made my demands I need to offer you something to help motivate you and show you the proper thanks you deserve for doing this for all of us joystick jockies. How about booze :friday:or, maybe you swing another way big boy. I'll give you a nice big full-body hug. Or . . . I have a nice ten-year-old kid with ADHD that would like a new home.

Seriously, this needs to be viewed on the same level as the Pearl Harbor Project and we should all try to help. :help:

Ghostrider
January 11th, 2009, 11:45
Sweet, Pen32Win! You are the man! It looks fantastic!

Hey can I send you some Hailstone missions for your critique? I know you need a break from scenery now and then!

GR

Pen32Win
January 11th, 2009, 22:40
Thanks GR;

Got the package too.

Another productive day at the ranch. Here's 5 Mile Wards and a little panoramic view. Kila is just off my right wing, Port Moresby in the foreground. Then Wards and way out is Durand. The light green spot to the right of Durand is right where Schwimmer and Berry will be. Jackson will be just to the right and a bit out from Wards.

One thing I've come to realize about the Allied runways in contrast to the IJN/IJAAF runways. We built them narrow. Almost all of the PM fields used 100' wide runways. Even the 7500' monster at Jackson was 100' wide. The rough graded crash strip at Jackson was only 85' wide. It doesn't seem to matter if the surface was Asphalt, PSP, Black Loam or Shale as in the case of Wards two strips.

On the other hand the Japanese strips were very wide. Both But Fields were 262' wide, Madang was 240' wide, Wewak Wirui 200' wide, Boram 200' wide, Tadji 196' Wide, Awar Hansa North 180' wide, Alexishafen, 310' wide, Danip (Alexishafen II) 310' wide, Madang 240' wide, Cape Gloucester 310' wide..... I wonder what the reasoning behind each sides engineering practices where..???

Anyway, a couple of shots of the days work.... If the creek don't rise you'll be flying from these withing two weeks.

Pen32Win
January 12th, 2009, 11:43
I knew I should have never said anything about the creek rising....

I'm sitting in line at Arby's Drive Thru. Listening to Radio, the line's long so I've got the truck in park.... Bam..BAM... Some stupid !#$^&^*$% backs into the side of my truck, but hitting me once isn't good enough, he hits the gas while still in Reverse. I guess he thought he'd push through me. I drive a C3500 1-Ton Dually, he's driving a Camry. So instead of a dent he pushes in the whole side of my cab about 8 inches deep......

I'm OK, other than my blood preasure.......

I need a shot and a beer.....

miamieagle
January 12th, 2009, 12:52
Yes you are right!

I did said I would but I have not been able to do it. I just do not have that much free time. I "am sorry and I apologize!:redface:

I will try it in the Future but no time given!

PS they are probably not going to be as good as your campaign and mission Talon!

Pen32Win
January 12th, 2009, 12:56
ME;

??? You've got me cornfused with that post....???

miamieagle
January 12th, 2009, 12:58
Hey Rami! you can do one or upgrade the one we already have if you want since we can have several version of the same campaign or mission collection.:wavey:

Talon
January 12th, 2009, 13:14
I already reworked the DOA several years ago.

Talon

miamieagle
January 12th, 2009, 15:07
Maybe it needs a upgrade as well!LoL

Talon
January 12th, 2009, 15:24
Some shots from my upgrade of DOA.

Talon

sc7500
January 12th, 2009, 16:04
"...I drive a C3500 1-Ton Dually, he's driving a Camry. So instead of a dent he pushes in the whole side of my cab about 8 inches deep...... "

Good Gawd, Pen ~ Is that dually of yours slammed or what ?

I roll an '88 Chevy Dually CrewCab at stock height ~ NOTHING is tall enough to nail the cab, except maybe a 4WD !!

Did you "adjust" the driver ?

SC
:kilroy:

Devildog73
January 12th, 2009, 17:59
Talon, what an accomplishment. The rear gunner must have been out of rounds, 'cause in the original DoA, I am never able to come in from the six on those IJA bombers and survive. I ALWAYS come in from the 12-2-10 o'clock positions on them. I last longer that way.

Talon
January 12th, 2009, 18:32
Talon, what an accomplishment. The rear gunner must have been out of rounds, 'cause in the original DoA, I am never able to come in from the six on those IJA bombers and survive. I ALWAYS come in from the 12-2-10 o'clock positions on them. I last longer that way.

Devildog that's the SG_Betty.Actually I dove on 1 Betty and than climbed back up and riddled the rear gun position than went for the wings.Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Talon

Pen32Win
January 12th, 2009, 22:13
"...I drive a C3500 1-Ton Dually, he's driving a Camry. So instead of a dent he pushes in the whole side of my cab about 8 inches deep...... "

Good Gawd, Pen ~ Is that dually of yours slammed or what ?

I roll an '88 Chevy Dually CrewCab at stock height ~ NOTHING is tall enough to nail the cab, except maybe a 4WD !!

Did you "adjust" the driver ?

SC
:kilroy:

He was backing out of a parking spot that was above the center of the parking lot which is just where I happened to be sitting. Mine's a '91 2WD so it doesn't sit very high. Better for hauling horses that way. The trailer floor is eaiser to get level which in turn is better on the horses legs during long hauls. Guys that haul with their horse trailer's nose up in the air are doing their ponies no favors.

Anyway, he hit me with the corner of his bumper right between the back edge of the door and the front of the bed, right in the Extra of the Extra Cab. Couldn't have picked a worse spot. He must have thought he was hung on the curb or something because after he hit me he hit the gas. He didn't have enough muscle to move me but he rocked the stuffin' out of me. Almost hit my head on the side window.....

Yea, I said my peace but nothing more, I was armed so any kind of physically agressive move would have put me in the slammer. I'm probably lucky I didn't give the old guy a heart attack. But he really PO'ed me. I've had that truck since 1995 and have over 250K on it. It's taken me and my horses to hundereds of Rodeos all over the country and has been a great truck all around. Alot of the time it's dirty but it's never had a dent in it until today. Dirt washes off, paint polishes up but this is way beyond that. It actually creased the back edge of the cab, inward!

:focus:

Pen32Win
January 13th, 2009, 01:19
OK, back to the airfield business, despite the days problems....

The big ones are done! Just two little ones to go.

Here's Jackson and a shot of the area. It's really starting to take shape now. Once get the ground scenery for Berry and Schwimmer done then I've got about 1500 objects to put into the GSL part of it.

miamieagle
January 13th, 2009, 04:53
It all sounds and looks great to me,Pen32win. I cannot wait for your upload.

Thank you!:ernae:

DauntlessDriver546
January 13th, 2009, 06:18
So Port Moresby is OUR base? Or... it was over-run by us anyway? I gotta go back to the books... :typing:

Pen32Win
January 13th, 2009, 12:01
Thanks Again ME;

DD, The Airfields at Port Moresby were never taken by the Japanese Forces. They made two major attempts to gain control of the area which resulted in the Battle of Coral Sea and the Kokoda Trail Campaign. They got within 40 or so miles of it but never took it. They also made an attempt to capture Milne Bay and then planned to do an End Around but events in the Solomon’s were sapping resources intended for the PNG area so it was a half hearted affair.

Pen32Win
January 15th, 2009, 18:14
Despite my truck getting wrecked and working a tail load of hours this week I did manage to get the rest of the PM Field Ground BGL's and a LC BGL for the area done including Waigani Swamp.

Next up -GSL....

Getting Close....

Rami
January 15th, 2009, 18:17
Pen32Win,

What happened to your truck? :faint:

Shadow Wolf 07
January 15th, 2009, 18:25
Excellent work!!

Pen32Win
January 15th, 2009, 18:27
Hey Rami;

Read the post at the top of this page..... :faint:is right... Not a Happy Camper....