PDA

View Full Version : Question pertaining to the pilot figure.

OleBoy
May 13th, 2013, 17:29
Having a pilot now in the seat bring on questions. In the VC (now) the body can be seen chest down. I have models like this and my thoughts are when flying VC, is this something I like, or dislike. I'm not sure. Actually, no. I've got mixed feelings whether I want it this way or not. In exterior view seeing the pilot seems normal enough. Then how much of the pilot should be seen? The door is closed. Maybe make it to where the upper chest, head and arms are visible, or the whole body? Again, mixed thoughts. Considering in this particular model the pilot sits so high, I'm not sure what I'll wind up doing. Personally, once in the VC, I am the pilot.

Does anyone have any thoughts what I could do for the exterior view?

Allen
May 13th, 2013, 19:16
I've only used the pilot in the VC once. How much of the pilot should be seen exterior view depinds on how much of he/she would be visable from the out side.

Dev One
May 13th, 2013, 23:37
If you have the pilot in the VC which co-incides with the view point set in the .cfg, I find that one loses control of switches etc & instrument mouse over data, unless you move the eye point forward using the keyboard. For my interior models I delete the pilot, but give an option for seeing the pilot in exterior view, which can be done using a command in the makemdl.parts.xml, or setting them to disappear in the loading options.
Keith

Naismith
May 14th, 2013, 00:33
Dislike and dislike intensely some of Alphasim models that do this,

OleBoy
May 14th, 2013, 05:42
I've only used the pilot in the VC once. How much of the pilot should be seen exterior view depinds on how much of he/she would be visable from the out side.
I was thinking the same thing. At eye level in any exterior view anything below the arms is not necessary.

If you have the pilot in the VC which co-incides with the view point set in the .cfg, I find that one loses control of switches etc & instrument mouse over data, unless you move the eye point forward using the keyboard. For my interior models I delete the pilot, but give an option for seeing the pilot in exterior view, which can be done using a command in the makemdl.parts.xml, or setting them to disappear in the loading options.
Keith
I noticed the same after I placed the hat on the pilots head. My doing so gave the same visuals as if zooming in too close, where the camera appeared to consume the model. Even after adjusting the hat the view never got much better. I weighed the options of adjusting the eye as a corrective measure, then the eye point would not be where it needed to be realistically. At that point there's no winning. I'll opt for seeing the pilot in exterior view only unless I learn of something new.

Dislike and dislike intensely some of Alphasim models that do this,
Some models look real sharp with the pilots torso showing in the VC. Others, distracting due to the lack of time spent in modeling the pilot to match the detail modeling of the aircraft. How the pilot is modeled and mapped is key to the art work.