PDA

View Full Version : Weapons BGL issue

Blood_Hawk23
May 12th, 2013, 09:38
Hey all,

Ok I had an idea.

I wanted to take the Aerocrate's 112lb bomb and make it into a 65lb bomb.

I put it through ModelconvertX and exported it as a 3DS model. i then imported it into Gmax, retextured it and exported it as both an mdl and bgl.

problem is the bgl doesn't work and i can't make the mdl into a bgl.

what do i need to do?

any thoughts?

Allen
May 12th, 2013, 11:08
The bgl that gMax makes is not the same format as the .bgl weapons use. You need to have the FS2002 gMax make mdl and mdlc 190 weap

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=49&linkid=6220

The one thing I have yet to under stand is how to get the weapon to be scaled right. The weapon I make are way under sized.

Blood_Hawk23
May 12th, 2013, 11:30
I'll go through it and see what i can do.

how did you scale you model?

i down size it in modelconvertx then exported it. Did you do the same?
if so then I'll have the same issue.

I wonder if they are converting properly.

Allen
May 12th, 2013, 13:10
When I tried to make my Russian FAB-50 I made to to real world scale. However w_mdlc.bll has a place for weapon scale. This is done so if you want you can make a very detailed weapon that is 5x larger in gMax and use the w_mdlc.bll scale setting to shrink it back to real world size in CFS2.

mdlc 190 weap has a info page on how to set up the w_mdlc.bll but using the setting it say if the weapon is at real world scale didn't work. I had a micro-tiny bomb.

Model Converter X doesn’t have a FS2002 BGL export option. If you don't have the FS2002 gMax game pack what you can do is find the FS2002 MakeMDL program that is legal.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=123

Download and install it. Now in Model Converter X hit Export and save your bomb as "FSX object X file" The FS2002 MakeMDL program can use FSX object X file just fine. Fire up FS2002 MakeMDL and load your bomb X file in the Input file and select the Model Type "Scenery". Click “Start”

Screen that has you place the object comes up. You can enter all zeros in the long, lat and heading. View Distance and Image Complexity seem to be striped out along with long, lat and heading by mdlc 190 weap when you make a weapon out of the .bgl.

Now you have a .bgl that can be used by mdlc 190 weap to make a CFS2 Scenery Library .bgl

Blood_Hawk23
May 13th, 2013, 03:15
I have FS2002 pro so i have everything else. i need to setup gmax so i can use both versions. I'm working the next few nites so i'll do a little here and there. i used modelconvertx 130 for the scale. I'll send you the gmax model so you can look at it. it might be too small. i'm not sure yet.

Allen
May 13th, 2013, 15:58
If you have everything to export FS2002 bgls from gMax than things are easy. You can do your resize in gMax and just about any thing else you want to do as well.

Blood_Hawk23
May 14th, 2013, 12:35
hey Allen,

I might need a little help with the MDLC. Can you do a quick write up on how to do it. Half the time it says it can't find the file. or i get errors.

maybe i don't have the dos link set right.

if you could write the commands so i can paste them in. maybe it will help me.

oh the BGL you sent works great. i may have made it too small. i should up it 15%. or should i say drop it to75 or 80 and not 65.

Allen
May 14th, 2013, 18:36
I sent you some files by email that may help.

Blood_Hawk23
May 15th, 2013, 03:01
Ok, Kool...

I look at them shortly.

Allen
May 15th, 2013, 10:07
Let me know if this works for you. I also made a .bat that is more complex that will walk you through making exploding objects as well.

Blood_Hawk23
May 15th, 2013, 11:53
I looked at it this morning. it looks great. I'm working some OT tonite (Hello 72 hours) so i'll check it out again in the morning.

i'm doing some german WWI bombs.

puw 50kg and a puw 100kg bomb. i'm adding that to the Royal labs 65lb britsh bomb.

Allen
May 15th, 2013, 13:20
Were you able to make a weapon with the .bat?

Blood_Hawk23
May 16th, 2013, 02:39
I'm going to try now and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

Blood_Hawk23
May 17th, 2013, 05:22
:banghead:

ok here is what i have.

first...
Allen,
it worked great. I now have a wep_puw_50kg_gp bomb. might actually work better as a 100kg. I think i made it a little too big. the 100kg i made is more like a 150 to a 250. so i need a new scaled version for the 50. no big deal.

I'm having trouble with the textures now. it seems it wants to use only the portion that the wep_puw_12kg_gp bomb uses. i mapped it to a different location. :isadizzy:

so my questions now are... :confused:

why is it not working?

what did i forget to do in the mapping?

and thats where i'm at.

Shessi
May 17th, 2013, 07:37
Here's something that might help chaps.

I use FSDS and used it to make the 4000lb HC cookie for the Manchester, you have to set the scale in the sca'd bgl header.

Cheers

Shessi

kdriver
May 17th, 2013, 10:20
How's this for size? Here's a 65 lb and 112 lb slung under a DH4. The bomb racks could also be scaled down if desired. I decompiled the 112 lb bomb .bgl file and adjusted the scale to 75% in the .sca header as shown by Shessi.

I similarly scaled down a Grand Slam to Tallboy size some time ago.

Allen
May 17th, 2013, 10:47
I sent Blood Hawk a set up for mdlc_190_weap that is designed for weapons made in gMax at same scale as the aircraft or real world scale. I do not know if this will work with .bgls made in FSDS but it should as long as the weapon is at real world scale.

Download the Allen_Make_Weap.zip and copy the 5 files into the mdlc_190_weap folder than.

1#
Once you have made your Weapon in gmax export as a Flightsim BGL File (*.BGL) with the name my_weap.

2#
Move or Copy and Paste the my_weap.bgl to w_mdlc folder that is inside of the mdlc_190_weap folder.

3#
Run the Allen Make Weapon.bat and follow the instructions!

Blood_Hawk23
May 17th, 2013, 12:48
KDriver,

Your hired.
:salute:
Welcome to the skunk works. :icon_lol:

Allen,

How can I remap the textures. I thought that i did but once ingame the texture are not what i set them as.

Allen
May 17th, 2013, 13:06
gmax will let you chnage the texture mapping or chnage to a new texture. Can you try the texture change again if that dosn't work set me the file (.gmax) and I will try.

Blood_Hawk23
May 17th, 2013, 21:32
yeah no luck. I must be missing something.

Allen
May 17th, 2013, 23:23
How did you try to change the texture? You should have been able to go to Unwrap UVW and change the current maping.

One thing of note. You can NOT use Unwrap UVW if you have selected multiple meshes. You can click on Edit.. and change the maping around but the changes won't save. Anytime you have selected multiple meshes the top right it will say Multiple Selected and any thing you apply to the multiple meshes will be in Italic Text.

Single Mesh Selected

Multiple Meshes Selected.

Another thing. The Areocrate 112lb has 2 meshes. If you made a drag box over the whole bomb you selected both meshes so any Unwrap UVW changes you tied to do didn't save.

If an one downloaded my Allen_Make_Weap.zip let me know if it worked for you!

Blood_Hawk23
May 18th, 2013, 08:37
"I see" says the blind man to the deaf dog...

I'll give that a try.

its no the PuW 12lb bomb. now a 50lb. I'll get back to you.

Blood_Hawk23
May 18th, 2013, 11:18
Allen.

Thank You very much my friend. That did it.

We now have a PuW 50kg bomb. This might not be the final version.

sorry its not on a german plane and those are the wrong pylons but you get the point. I'll have a new texture for the Aerocrate's weapons.

Look here for some real pics of the Puw Bombs
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Various/Bombs-german/index.html

OldWheat,
if you read this be aware that it will be coming to you shortly. I'm just going to do the 100kg next.

I'm also looking at making the SN 1650 Lb british bomb.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Various/Bombs-brit/

So thats where I'm at.

Till Later,
John

Allen
May 18th, 2013, 11:40
Smoothing is lost with 3ds files. You will have to re-smooth the bomb.

You will need to select the whole bomb and than go to the drop down Modifier List and select Smooth.

Now check Auto Smooth. If the bomb dosn't look smooth enough below the Auto Smooth check box is Threshold:. Change the 30 to a larger number. Threshold: 50.0 looks good to me for the PuW 12kg bomb.

Blood_Hawk23
May 19th, 2013, 03:10
Yeah 50 looks good on mine as well. I'm working on doing some work to the model. I'm fixing the tail fins. almost done.

Blood_Hawk23
May 22nd, 2013, 03:16
Ok I have remade this bomb about 6 times now. It looks ok. I'll get pics up soon.

Blood_Hawk23
May 22nd, 2013, 03:52
Ok here it is. I think it looks better.

It kinda matches this pic.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Various/Bombs-german/IWMD/BombWW1DSCF4325.JPG

I plan on doing a few more Upscaled versions for the 100kg and 500kg bombs.

Allen
May 22nd, 2013, 12:06
Looking good!

Blood_Hawk23
May 22nd, 2013, 14:15
Version 3.

I put the twist into the fins. its no "Perfect" but it is there. Which makes it look more like the original.

I have also scaled up the model to the 100kg. I haven't tested it in game. I may have to adjust it before I do. The bombs are coming along.

Blood_Hawk23
May 23rd, 2013, 10:35
Here is a sample of what i've made.

PuW 50kg bomb
50kg bomb pylon
PuW 100kg bomb
100kg bomb pylon
PuW 500kg bomb (not show but same as 100kg, only bigger)

I have to adjust the DP some. the 50kg bombs and pylons are too high still. The 100kgs could go down a bit as well.

sorry for the blocky looking fins. it was a little difficult to put the twist in.

Allen
May 23rd, 2013, 16:05
I take it the .bat set up I sent you is working fine? :jump:

Blood_Hawk23
May 23rd, 2013, 23:03
I take it the .bat set up I sent you is working fine? :jump:

Its working great Allen. Thank You.

I messed up on the 50kg pylon somewhere. its not showing up. i'll just remake it and it should work fine.

Blood_Hawk23
May 30th, 2013, 14:28
who do i add the shadows. when the model is converted to 3ds you loose the shadows. how do i remodel those with GMax?

Allen
May 30th, 2013, 16:34
I don't think you can.

Blood_Hawk23
May 31st, 2013, 08:14
never mind... they are still there. funny how it doesn't show in GMax.

Anyways, I'm turning into the mad bomber here. I'm now making some of the French bombs. I have a Obus 75mm type R made in GMax. It looks ok.

in the works...

Obus 90mm "moule" fuse
Michelin 75mm and 115mm with Michelin Fuse
10kg bomb "type carried on the Spads"

many of WWI bombs were artilliry shells made into bombs by adding tail fins. The French used alot of these. Plus they used some "Anilite" bombs. From what i've read these were early Incendiary bombs with a liquid explosive. Much of what i've read says they were more dangerous for the crews then the enemy.

I'm going to keep it to just the 4 or 5 here. I have a list of other types but i'm not sure what aircraft they were used by.

I'll get pics of all of what i've made so far, real soon.

Blood_Hawk23
May 31st, 2013, 15:21
looks like i have to make some 50lb coopers. as those where the bombs used on the Tondern Raid.

Blood_Hawk23
May 31st, 2013, 19:40
I promissed pictures. So pics you shall have.

I have to this point...

British:

50lb Cooper Bomb and Pylon

Royal Labs 65lb Bomb and Pylon

Royal Labs SN 1650lb Bomb

French:

Obus 75mm type R with "Moule" Fuse and Pylon
Obus 90mm with "Moule" Fuse and Pylon (not shown but same as 75mm only bigger)

German:

PuW 50kg Bomb and Pylon
PuW 100kg Bomb and Pylon
PuW 500kg Bomb (not show but looks the same as the 100kg Bomb but much larger)

I'm working on more French bombs but I've only finished the two.

so stay tuned for more.