PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Download manager?

falcon409
May 8th, 2013, 19:07
What do most of you use to handle your downloads? With this new installation, I'm relying on the windows downloader which seems to only be able to handle a few (2) at a time.

AussieMan
May 8th, 2013, 20:02
I use Internet Download Manager. Can handle up to 8 downloads at a time.

Tako_Kichi
May 8th, 2013, 20:06
I just use the downloader built into Firefox. Never been a problem for me in terms of the number of downloads or resuming a partly downloaded file.

falcon409
May 8th, 2013, 20:16
I just use the downloader built into Firefox. Never been a problem for me in terms of the number of downloads or resuming a partly downloaded file.
Yep, I erroneously called it the Windows downloader. . .it is in fact the one in Firefox. I can't get it to download more than 2 at a time before it locks up and these are small files (14meg each).:salute:

PHo17
May 8th, 2013, 23:25
Once I had a problem with downloads from Simviation. No downloads at all. I emptied the cahche of the browser (Firefox), removed cookies etc. That helped. However that was purely a page dependent problem. Perhaps your's is somewhare else? I'd try removing the firefox (totally - otherwise it won't remove personal data which might be the cause for the troubles), clearing the register (with for example CCleaner) and then (after booting Windows) reinstall of the browser.

Pekka

Naismith
May 9th, 2013, 01:02
Yep, I erroneously called it the Windows downloader. . .it is in fact the one in Firefox. I can't get it to download more than 2 at a time before it locks up and these are small files (14meg each).:salute:
Isn't it hilarious what we call a small d/l these days. 14Mb - my first HD was 40Mb. :icon_lol:

Oh yes I just use IE10 own downloader - I like to direct my d/l's manually to their rightful place on an external MyBook HD (2TBs) - more hilarity totting up my total HD space - Just shy of 7Tb's. :icon_lol::icon_eek::isadizzy:

Navy Chief
May 9th, 2013, 02:03
Isn't it hilarious what we call a small d/l these days. 14Mb - my first HD was 40Mb. :icon_lol:

Oh yes I just use IE10 own downloader - I like to direct my d/l's manually to their rightful place on an external MyBook HD (2TBs) - more hilarity totting up my total HD space - Just shy of 7Tb's. :icon_lol::icon_eek::isadizzy:

40mb? My first computer (except for my Timex - not a watch), was a Radio Shack laptop, with a 10mb hard drive......NC

Hanimichal
May 9th, 2013, 02:30
http://jdownloader.org/download/offline Freeware, fast at all your Internet bandwidth, and unlimited downloads at same time

dhazelgrove
May 9th, 2013, 02:33
40mb? My first computer (except for my Timex - not a watch), was a Radio Shack laptop, with a 10mb hard drive......NC

Sinclair ZX-81 here.

Dave

papab
May 9th, 2013, 03:12
Internet Download Manager
The best out there!

www.internetdownloadmanager.com (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com)

Rick

falcon409
May 9th, 2013, 04:22
I'm going with Internet Downloader for now but I seem, for some reason, to be stuck at no more than 2 downloads. I don't know if it's a Simviation thing (since I refuse to pay to be a member in order to get faster downloads) or if it's something else causing it to balk at any more than two.

dharris
May 9th, 2013, 04:55
Simviation limits you to two downloads at a reduced speed for the free account. For multiple and higher speeds you need a payed account.

falcon409
May 9th, 2013, 05:16
Simviation limits you to two downloads at a reduced speed for the free account. For multiple and higher speeds you need a payed account.
Thanks!

Francois
May 9th, 2013, 06:14
The FREE and BEST download manager (I know, it has saved the day many times for customers of ours) can be found at www.freedownloadmanager.org. :wavey:

dougal
May 9th, 2013, 08:00
The FREE and BEST download manager (I know, it has saved the day many times for customers of ours) can be found at www.freedownloadmanager.org (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org). :wavey:

I would HAVE to agree with Francois (hello F). He recommended this to me years ago, and its NEVER let me down. FDM also has a 'lite' version, PLUS they are regularly updating it.

papab
May 9th, 2013, 12:49
I'm going with Internet Downloader for now but I seem, for some reason, to be stuck at no more than 2 downloads. I don't know if it's a Simviation thing (since I refuse to pay to be a member in order to get faster downloads) or if it's something else causing it to balk at any more than two.

It is the Simviation thing......It is throttled way back if you do not pay and they limit how many at a time
Try a download from here or over at AVSIM...You will see a difference

Rick