PDA

View Full Version : NAS Cecil Field file uploaded to SOH library!

Navy Chief
May 7th, 2013, 12:56
Ok fellow SOH members, the NAS Cecil Field scenery has just been uploaded to the SOH Add-Ons Library. This is the first time I have ever uploaded a file.

I want to thank John Stinstrom for creating the scenery (originally for FS9) many years ago. This was a great project, and I truly enjoyed helping him with it, way back when. And it is a pleasure to be flying out of NAS Cecil Field again in FSX, thanks to SOH member Falcon409.

There is a text file with the NAS Cecil Field file, explaining where to put the unzipped files, etc... There's a Misc folder with some .bgl files. Place them in the SCENERY folder of your Addon Scenery Directory. Falcon409 had to modify my NAS Cecil scenery install to fix some anomalies (i.e. taxiway lights, etc..., that I did not want). You may notice a beacon light, hanging in midair? Not sure how to get rid of that! Sorry! But other than that, the layout of NAS Cecil Field is as it was in its heyday.

Enjoy, shipmates. AMEC(AW) Peter C. Ward, USN, Ret......aka Navy Chief:salute:

Edit: although I placed some static Corsair IIs on the flight line in MY installed scenery, I do not believe they are in this file. Possibly, but don't think so.

FSX68
May 7th, 2013, 14:43
This is AWESOME!!!! Thanks very much for the share. What happened to the water towers that were in the FS9 version? Did the towers
come down or did the author decide not to put them in. Sure is easier on the Frame Rates!!! It's just a hop skip and jump from there to NAS
Jax were I use to be station when with HS-3 (Seakings) they were at the seawall then. I think they transitions to seahawks relocated to Oceana and renamed HSC-9.

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/HS/Helicopter-Anti-Submarine-Squadron-3.htm

Navy Chief
May 7th, 2013, 14:47
This is AWESOME!!!! Thanks very much for the share. What happened to the water towers that were in the FS9 version? Did the towers
come down or did the author decide not to put them in. Sure is easier on the Frame Rates!!! It's just a hop skip and jump from there to NAS
Jax were I use to be station when with HS-3 (Seakings) they were at the seawall then. I think they transitions to seahawks relocated to Oceana and renamed HSC-9.

It has been quite a while since Falcon409 did the modifications. To tell you the truth, I cannot remember why the water towers were removed, except for possibly better frame rates. The beacon light (floating in midair) was on top of one of those towers, I believe..... NC

NOTE....read my first post in this thread. I meant for the .BGL files in the Misc directory of my upload to be put in the Scenery Directory of the ADDON Scenery folder.... NC

Sieggie
May 7th, 2013, 16:56
I do not seem to have textures on most of the buildings (black buildings). Can you post a list of libraries you are using for the big hangers and the dormitories?

Dave

Navy Chief
May 7th, 2013, 17:17
I do not seem to have textures on most of the buildings (black buildings). Can you post a list of libraries you are using for the big hangers and the dormitories?

Dave

Can you take a screenshot or two, and post them so I (we) can see what you are talking about? I do know there are some small buildings on the flight line that are very dark. NC

delta_lima
May 7th, 2013, 17:33
Looks good - a bit hard on FPS on my machine - but it's likely just that.

What's with the fire on the flight-line? I've got a full-on bonfire raging between the two northernmost hangars ... weird.

Love the field, no issues with missing textures.

Many thanks,

DL

Navy Chief
May 7th, 2013, 18:25
Looks good - a bit hard on FPS on my machine - but it's likely just that.

What's with the fire on the flight-line? I've got a full-on bonfire raging between the two northernmost hangars ... weird.

Love the field, no issues with missing textures.

Many thanks,

DL

Fire? No idea with thar one! Hey, maybe some Night Check guys are having a bonfire with their beer?

delta_lima
May 7th, 2013, 19:13
Fire? No idea with thar one! Hey, maybe some Night Check guys are having a bonfire with their beer?

No sweat. I've just backdated it in ADEX - took out the new hangars, and with it, a bunch of the newer objects, including the one in question (ADEX didn't id it, had no thumbnail, just was a black box the way other objects are handled, so I can't tell you what it is.

In any event, it's gone now - thanks to John's and team's superb work, and with 30 min in ADEX, it's now NAS Cecil Field 1960 ... what fun!

Now, tell me who wouldn't give a pretty penny to have one of these to fly from there ....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/FJ-3_VF-62_at_NAS_Cecil_Field_1956.jpg/796px-FJ-3_VF-62_at_NAS_Cecil_Field_1956.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/FJ-3_VF-62_at_NAS_Cecil_Field_1956.jpg)

yes, this Fury from VF-62 was one of the numerous jet squardons based at Cecil in the late 50s ... :cool:

Anyway - this project has been a ton of fun already - for John's hard work in FS9, Ed's in retexturing, and your commitment to making it come to FSX - you have my humblest thanks. :salute:

Daniel

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 02:03
No sweat. I've just backdated it in ADEX - took out the new hangars, and with it, a bunch of the newer objects, including the one in question (ADEX didn't id it, had no thumbnail, just was a black box the way other objects are handled, so I can't tell you what it is.

In any event, it's gone now - thanks to John's and team's superb work, and with 30 min in ADEX, it's now NAS Cecil Field 1960 ... what fun!

Now, tell me who wouldn't give a pretty penny to have one of these to fly from there ....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/FJ-3_VF-62_at_NAS_Cecil_Field_1956.jpg/796px-FJ-3_VF-62_at_NAS_Cecil_Field_1956.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/FJ-3_VF-62_at_NAS_Cecil_Field_1956.jpg)

yes, this Fury from VF-62 was one of the numerous jet squardons based at Cecil in the late 50s ... :cool:

Anyway - this project has been a ton of fun already - for John's hard work in FS9, Ed's in retexturing, and your commitment to making it come to FSX - you have my humblest thanks. :salute:

Daniel

Thank you, Daniel:jump: NAS Cecil Field holds a lot of memories for me. It was the best (and sometimes worst!) time of my life. Long days/nights, busting my a.., working on those jets. Yet, I would go back in time without hesitation, were it possible. FSX lets me "relive" those times, ya know? NC

dhazelgrove
May 8th, 2013, 03:28

There is a problem, I'm afraid, and it's something to do with the 'misc' BGL files.
I didn't have this until I added the 'misc' contents to the scenery folder.

Dave

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 04:06

There is a problem, I'm afraid, and it's something to do with the 'misc' BGL files.

Dave

Have you tried removing those BGL files? NC

Victory103
May 8th, 2013, 04:25

That is correct, every squadron except for HS-5 has transitioned to become HSC squadrons and moved either to Norfolk or like my old squadron out West. I was at NAS Jax when Cecil shutdown, well at least out of the jet business by moving all Hornets to Oceana and bringing the S-3's over to Jax. I haven't downloaded this yet, but was Whitehouse OLF included? Spent alot of time there training.

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 04:41
That is correct, every squadron except for HS-5 has transitioned to become HSC squadrons and moved either to Norfolk or like my old squadron out West. I was at NAS Jax when Cecil shutdown, well at least out of the jet business by moving all Hornets to Oceana and bringing the S-3's over to Jax. I haven't downloaded this yet, but was Whitehouse OLF included? Spent alot of time there training.

Only Cecil scenery in this file, sorry! NC

falcon409
May 8th, 2013, 05:09
It has been quite a while since Falcon409 did the modifications. To tell you the truth, I cannot remember why the water towers were removed, except for possibly better frame rates. The beacon light (floating in midair) was on top of one of those towers, I believe..... NC
If I remember right, the water towers were a big FPS hit and so I was pretty sure I replaced them with default water towers. . .not sure why something doesn't show up there now.:salute:

Sieggie
May 8th, 2013, 05:13

Dave

This is the same thing I see. I will try removing the Misc stuff when I get home and see if it clears up the problem. I have had similar issues in the past and it always turns out to be duplicate libs that do not have all the textures included. I am guessing that FSX is picking the wrong library because of an ordering and the one it picks does not have the textures. If you created your own objects and did not create a new GID then that can also create this kind of problem. FSX will pick the first object lib with the duplicated GID and use it. If it is not the correct library it will not find the textures because it is the wrong object. Not saying that is the problem but I have seen this happen with other airports. I have a large number of third party libs installed in my system so I get this problem sometimes. I am confident that it will all be solved eventually. :mixedsmi:

Dave

dhazelgrove
May 8th, 2013, 05:17
Have you tried removing those BGL files? NC

Yes, I took them straight out again (still got them in the original 'misc' folder) - and the problem went away. Unfortunately, so did the big hangars.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with texture priority - so that the BGLs are looking for their textures in the addon scenery/texture folder, rather than in the Cecil Field folder.

Something to play with, at least.

Dave

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 05:34
Yes, I took them straight out again (still got them in the original 'misc' folder) - and the problem went away. Unfortunately, so did the big hangars.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with texture priority - so that the BGLs are looking for their textures in the addon scenery/texture folder, rather than in the Cecil Field folder.

Something to play with, at least.

Dave

Texture priority sounds plausible, since some are reporting issues, while others are not? NC

delta_lima
May 8th, 2013, 05:48
I looked at the "misc" folder and assumed it was bgls for extra detail items - so I didn't even install it. That's why I guess it showed up fine for me.

DL

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 05:59
I looked at the "misc" folder and assumed it was bgls for extra detail items - so I didn't even install it. That's why I guess it showed up fine for me.

DL

It's likely that Ed had included those BGL files for problems I was having. This was a few years back, so cannot remember exactly. NC

Sieggie
May 8th, 2013, 06:09

DL

Delta-Lima, if you install the Misc stuff, do you get the textureless hangers?

Dave

falcon409
May 8th, 2013, 06:40
If you don't have a lot of files in the Addon Scenery folder, you might try moving the textures and bgl's to the texture and scenery folder in the Addon Scenery folder just to see if those textures show up. Just make a note of the file names that you place there so that if it doesn't work, you can move them back into the Cecil Field folders.

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 06:42
I have fun, using Instant Scenery to make modifications (such as adding static aircraft, bldgs, etc...). Of course there's a price to pay with lower FPS. Years ago, when I had this scenery installed in FS9, John Stinstrom had added a Old Dominion Freight lines truck. All you Navy types who have gone on deployments will remember the trucks used to carry all the squadron gear to the ship for onload. I had the Old Dominion truck parked in the hangar.....NC

fxsttcb
May 8th, 2013, 07:01

Oh how I prayed that Milviz was going to include an FJ-3/4 in their F-86 package! :frown: One of the sadly overlooked Naval Aviation birds.

Hey, Pete! Thanks for uploading Cecil! I appreciate the effort. :salute:

AND a Great Big Thanks to John, and Ed, for making it possible...:applause: ...Don

dhazelgrove
May 8th, 2013, 07:51
Texture priority sounds plausible, since some are reporting issues, while others are not? NC

I tried simply putting all the 'misc' BGLs in with the others in the Cecil Field scenery folder.
No more black buildings.

Now - where are those AI A-6 and A-7 models?

Dave

delta_lima
May 8th, 2013, 07:53
Delta-Lima, if you install the Misc stuff, do you get the textureless hangers?

Dave

I'm away from my sim pc for a few days - if this is still brewing by next Monday when I return, I'll definitely try for you..

I've replaced those big new hangars with a couple of the older style on the south end of the field - again, to give it an older feel. So I'd have to deactivate my "NAS Cecil 1960" and reinstall the stock package, and try. Should take just 5 min.

Best regards,

DL

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 08:34
I'm away from my sim pc for a few days - if this is still brewing by next Monday when I return, I'll definitely try for you..

I've replaced those big new hangars with a couple of the older style on the south end of the field - again, to give it an older feel. So I'd have to deactivate my "NAS Cecil 1960" and reinstall the stock package, and try. Should take just 5 min.

Best regards,

DL

The newer hangars on the south end of the field were built in the late 80s, when the squadrons were transitioning to Hornets. Additionally, one other large hangar was constructed (next to the VA-174 hangar, for VFA-106, which was recommissioned in 1984. NC

Sieggie
May 8th, 2013, 08:39
I tried simply putting all the 'misc' BGLs in with the others in the Cecil Field scenery folder.
No more black buildings.

Dave

This is a logical reason for black buildings if the textures for the misc bgls are in the cecil texture folder and the misc bgls are somewhere else. I will move them when I get home and I have a good feeling that is the answer.

Thanks,

Dave

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 09:03
No more black buildings.

Dave

Where'd you get AI A-6/A-7 models? NC

dhazelgrove
May 8th, 2013, 10:08

AI A-7s? Moi?
It's the JAI model. Can't find any A-6s yet.....
Might try an F-8 or two.

Dave

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 10:11

AI A-7s? Moi?
It's the JAI model. Can't find any A-6s yet.....

Dave

Is that available for download? Free or Payware? NC

dhazelgrove
May 8th, 2013, 10:35
Is that available for download? Free or Payware? NC

You can get them here: http://rayparker-repaints.jimdo.com/downloads-2/

Just scroll down.....

Dave

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 10:37
You can get them here: http://rayparker-repaints.jimdo.com/downloads-2/

Just scroll down.....

Dave

Ok, now perhaps a dumb question. Is it possible to utilize these models as static? I know how to place static models, and there is a static Corsair model available (Guy Diotte), but there's only a couple paints. These AI models have many more squadrons represented. And if an AI model can be placed as static, is the FPS hit less than a model designed to be static? NC

dhazelgrove
May 8th, 2013, 11:06
Ok, now perhaps a dumb question. Is it possible to utilize these models as static? I know how to place static models, and there is a static Corsair model available (Guy Diotte), but there's only a couple paints. These AI models have many more squadrons represented. And if an AI model can be placed as static, is the FPS hit less than a model designed to be static? NC

There's a tool that will create a static model from any model/skin combination you may have (flyable or AI), and you can then place this using your preferred tools.
It's from the same people who produced AIFP, and is called Static Model Maker.

You can get it here: http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?JS=True&Folder=SAMM

Dave

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2013, 14:14
There's a tool that will create a static model from any model/skin combination you may have (flyable or AI), and you can then place this using your preferred tools.
It's from the same people who produced AIFP, and is called Static Model Maker.

You can get it here: http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?JS=True&Folder=SAMM

Dave

Thanks for the tip. I had, a long time ago, downloaded the initial version of that program. Didn't know there was a new version. Now I need to relearn how to use it. NC

Sieggie
May 8th, 2013, 16:52
No more black buildings.

Dave

I put the putting the bgls into the Cecil Field Scenery directory seems to have worked.

Thanks for a great new airport to fly out of.

Dave

Lawgiver
March 14th, 2014, 01:35
Hello Everyone,

Just stumbled onto the NAS Cecil Field scenery for FSX. Don't know how I missed this one. Brings back some great memories from my time stationed there. Does anyone know how to remove the raging inferno just off of 18R by the hangers?? I've tried and effects exclude with ADE and didn't have any luck. Which one of the bgl's is this item located in. Saw a post on page 1 of this thread about the fire. But there was no resolution. Some time has passed and I thought someone might have an answer. Thanks everybody.

Regards,
Rob

Navy Chief
March 14th, 2014, 03:07
Lawgiver,

When were you stationed at Cecil? I was there 81-90. I will take a look at the scenery files, but can't promise anything. I didn't create it, just uploaded it! Pete Ward, AMEC, Ret.

Navy Chief
March 14th, 2014, 05:00
I took a look at the scenery files, but unfortunately I am not able to find the source of the "fire" shown on the airfield.

No idea what is causing that. I am hopeful that someone in our SOH membership will see this thread, download the file, and look into this. Most bothersome, I agree! The thing is, it is NOT in my scenery, but cannot understand why it exists in others.

Sorry for the trouble! NC

dhazelgrove
March 14th, 2014, 05:37

No fire at my installation. Maybe it's a 'feature'?

Dave

Navy Chief
March 14th, 2014, 06:28

No fire at my installation. Maybe it's a 'feature'?

Dave

What do you mean by "feature"? NC

dhazelgrove
March 14th, 2014, 07:22
What do you mean by "feature"? NC

Feature == mistake == accident.

Possible misplaced BGL.

Suggestion: re-download and compare with what's there now.

Dave

Lawgiver
March 17th, 2014, 18:38
Lawgiver,

When were you stationed at Cecil? I was there 81-90. I will take a look at the scenery files, but can't promise anything. I didn't create it, just uploaded it! Pete Ward, AMEC, Ret.

Hi Chief,

More than likely we crossed paths a few times. I was there from 88-90. Arrived there a newly minted third class (MA3) after doing 3 years on-board CONSTELLATION out of North Island. Many fond memories at Cecil.

As far as the scenery, took the weekend to look at it and found the issues. There is a forest fire effect coded into the xml object placement file of "EZ_Cecil_Buildings.BGL"
Why is it in there?? Don't have a clue. I suspect that the author might have meant to add a different effect instead but the forest fire was placed by mistake. The effect comes from a file package called "EZ Effects" specifically the "ron_ez_effects.bgl" which is included in the package. This package contains 17 different effects for the sim including the one in question. The effect is rather impressive......the screen cap I posted doesn't do it justice. The reason some see it and others don't is it all depends what object libraries the user has installed in their sim. In my case, the "ron_ez_effects.bgl" was included in the Runway 12 object libraries I installed for another add-on scenery. One can search their sim for the "ron_ez_effects.bgl" file and remove it or set it aside. But be advised if you just delete the bgl. file, another of your sceneries might not work correctly if that bgl. file is needed.
Now, what I have done is edited the xml file and removed the forest fire effect only. I recompiled the xml back into the "EZ_Cecil_Buildings.BGL" and added it back to the sim. Cecil seems to perform as it should minus the raging fire by the hangers.
If anyone would like the modified bgl file, let me know.

I also found out where the floating beacon was hiding at that was left over from the removal of the water towers. I modified that bgl. file to remove the floating beacon. Have that one available too if anyone would like it as well.
On a side note, while I had the scenery in ADE chasing down the fire, I noticed a few missing object libraries by the flight line. I searched for these libraries by the model GUID's but couldn't find them. I fired off an email to John asking him if he remembers what he might have used when he designed Cecil for FS9. If I track them down, I will let everyone know.

Regards,
Rob

Lawgiver
March 20th, 2014, 12:29
UPDATE:

Heard back from John Stinstrom the original author of the scenery. He was kind enough to take a look and try to identify the missing library objects. But, they are still a mystery. Whatever they are, the items are not vital. All the good stuff is there.
He also gave me links to an updated JGSE/GGSE library object package for Cecil Field here:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/packages/israel.html Israeli package part 7

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/packages/unitedstatesofamerica.html Barksdale package

The newest libraries contain many more objects as well as retexturing and remodeling to repair some errors in the originals for anyone out there that uses JGSE or GGSE for scenery design. The present FSX/FS9 versions currently available separately at the usual sites do not have the additional objects.
If anyone wants the modified bgl files to remove the fire effect and the floating beacon let me know. Special thanks to John Stinstrom for all the help.

Regards,
Rob

Navy Chief
March 20th, 2014, 15:08
UPDATE:

Heard back from John Stinstrom the original author of the scenery. He was kind enough to take a look and try to identify the missing library objects. But, they are still a mystery. Whatever they are, the items are not vital. All the good stuff is there.
He also gave me links to an updated JGSE/GGSE library object package for Cecil Field here:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/packages/israel.html Israeli package part 7

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/packages/unitedstatesofamerica.html Barksdale package

The newest libraries contain many more objects as well as retexturing and remodeling to repair some errors in the originals for anyone out there that uses JGSE or GGSE for scenery design. The present FSX/FS9 versions currently available separately at the usual sites do not have the additional objects.
If anyone wants the modified bgl files to remove the fire effect and the floating beacon let me know. Special thanks to John Stinstrom for all the help.

Regards,
Rob

I would definitely be interested in the revised file. A question though. Why doesn't the fire show up in my Cecil scenery?

Also, with regards to the updated GSE files, are they yellow or green? I noticed that one of them is labeled Barksdale? Tells me the SE equip is most likely green? All of the SE equipment back then, on most NAS's was yellow.

WAY back when I was helping J. Stinstrom with pictures and details about Cecil, he had included a awesome static object of an "Old Dominion" freight lines truck, parked by the VA-15 hangar. Old Dominion was one of the usual truck lines that carried all of our equipment to the ship at Norfolk, and Mayport. No idea what I did, but I lost that static truck object:frown-new:

Pete

Lawgiver
March 21st, 2014, 13:55
Hi Pete,

I am not sure if SOH permits download attachments to the forum posts so PM me your email and I will send you the modified files to remove the fire and the floating beacon. I will also send you a thumbnail pack of the updated JGSE objects so you can see if you want them or not. John S. does have the yellow gear as part of this updated package. There are 13 new objects as well as corrections to the models in the new JGSE pack. The latest one for FSX I found on AVSIM only has 54 objects.
There are actually 3 updated packages, JGSE (Yellow), GGSE (Green), SGSE (Desert) from the MAIW packages noted above. I am in the process of extracting the updated objects and adding them to my current library.

The fire effect comes from a package called "EZ Effects". From what I have learned, it is a popular package containing 17 different effects for the sim including the one in question. I downloaded the full package from AVSIM to take a look at it. There is a library object bgl file in that package called "ron_ez_effects.bgl" The reason some see the fire and others don't is it all depends on whether the fire effect included with "ron_ez_effects.bgl" is installed into your sim. In my case, the "ron_ez_effects.bgl" with the fire effect was included in the Runway 12 object libraries I installed for another add-on scenery. You can search your sim for the "ron_ez_effects.bgl" file and remove it or set it aside. But be advised if you just delete the bgl. file, another of your sceneries might not work correctly if that bgl. file is needed. The whole problem is, if you find the bgl on your system, you don't know whats included with it without de-compiling the bgl file or the xml file that a lot of authors include..
Since my last post on this subject I have discovered that a lot of freeware devs use the ron_ez_effects bgl file in their add-ons. I have found the bgl in a lot of my freeware stuff. But, it is not the complete effects package. The author might have only used one or two of the effects and packaged it with their scenery as is such the case with Cecil. The only effect from the "EZ Effects" package was the forest fire. I found the effect in the "EZ_Cecil_Buildings.bgl" xml file. I edited the xml file to remove the effect and recompiled the file back into the "EZ_Cecil_Buildings.bgl". The bottom line is if you are not seeing the fire you don't have the effect from that package installed in your sim somewhere.
Hope all that makes some sense. Why it's in there or how it got in there, I don't know........I suspect it was meant to be a different effect such as the fireworks effect from the package but can't be sure.
As far as the "Old D" truck/textures.......Been looking for those myself. If I find them, I'll let you know :very_drunk:

Regards,
Rob

Navy Chief
March 21st, 2014, 14:57
Some examples....

Lawgiver
March 21st, 2014, 23:11
Hi Pete,

Just sent the email with the files attached......

Regards,
Rob