PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Findings

falcon409
May 4th, 2013, 08:11
Well, I've had my fill of video cards for this week, lol, so I thought I would impart some knowledge learned from my experience and see what others have run into:
First thing I learned was that if the box simply says DVI connections, look closer to see exactly what kind of "DVI" connections it has. If your Monitor is not "Digital Compliant" then when you get home and open the box to find that you actually have one DVI-I and one DVI-D connection. . .too bad. The DVI-D connection is "digital" and in order to convert the digital signal to analog(VGA) it requires a converter that can run you more than most mid-range cards. . .hardly worth the trouble.

Another thing I found out just from reading a lot of info online this past week is that eventually VGA will go away and cards (and Monitors) will be all digital. Probably a necessary transition considering the strides in computer technology and gaming in particular, but that also means that those really nice wide screen monitors you just bought that won't accept digital input. . . .mmmmm, yea. So if you plan to build or purchase in the future. . .keep that in mind.

Finally, I had purchased an NVidia GTX650 card to replace the 630 I bought just weeks ago, the 630 had one VGA output and one DVI-I output (converts easily using the adapter that comes with the card). The 650 however had one DVI-I and one DVI-D (no VGA) and therein was the problem. On a two monitor setup I could only use one monitor. . .or pay an additional $150-$185 for the converter (the card only cost $147). I have never seen this posted on the forums here in the past, so my guess is I've led a very sheltered life, as it seems either no one has run into this problem with their cards or they knew all this stuff a long time ago. . .unlike me, lol.

I took the 650 back to Fry's this morning and there was not one card produced by NVidia that had what I needed and so I went (reluctantly) with the Radeon HD7770, which, by the reviews I could find is slightly better than the 650 and has the VGA setup I need to get both monitors up and running.

And that's all I've got for now, lol!!:salute:

falcon409
May 4th, 2013, 12:16
Just a quick note and then this thread can move on to Never Never Land. I could have saved myself a lot of grief had I spent a little more time checking my monitors rather than checking the graphics card. Both monitors are digital, had the DVI-D plugs available to use the 650 and I would have saved several unnecessary trips (and precious gas) driving back and forth to the Dallas area to track down something I didn't actually need. For now I have my main monitor displaying digital with a DVI-D to HDMI cable (much nicer display by the way). The other monitor, for now, is using the VGA cable. I could have also kept from having to take the ATI card and stayed with NVIdia but I just can't bring myself to take anything back or drive that traffic ridden drive even one more time. lol:isadizzy:

DagR
May 4th, 2013, 12:25
I would recommend you to take the plunge and get yourself a couple of new LED monitors. It's a whole new world ;-) On the AMD/ATI; I've ran FSX on two high end NVIDIA cards and one ATI (5870). The ATI is by far the best of them. It runs FSX/P3D and Strike Fighters (fully merged) real good. It's now 3 years old and runs 3 24" LCD monitors (two on DVI-D and one on Display Port) with ease. Even Eyefinity is possible with mid 20s FPS in FSX. Then again the old coding of MS was always CPU intensive.

Best
DagR

falcon409
May 4th, 2013, 12:34
Yep, probably right about the monitors Dag, especially the one I use as my main monitor, it's no longer a nice bright display (getting kinda yellowish actually). As far as the ATI. . .my sole reason for being slightly neg on the ATI card is that over the years I've become reliant on Nick's NVidia Inspector Tweaks to get everything in a line, now I have to manually play with it til I get it where I want it, especially the antialiasing.

Dumonceau
May 5th, 2013, 03:51
Falcon,

A side question: what are the specs of your rig now? Did you OC the chip?

Cheers,

Dumonceau

falcon409
May 5th, 2013, 06:31
Dumonceau,
Here are the current specs:
MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) Motherboard
AMD-FX 4-Core Processor at 3.8Ghz
8 Gig Memory
2- 1TB Seagate HDD (SATA)
1- 650Gig HDD Seagate (SATA)
NVidia GTX630 GPU w/2gig onboard memory
2- 22' Flat Screen Monitors

No overclocking. I tend to stay away from overclocking anything. I feel I'm better off not messing anything up. . .my track record is poor enough when it comes to computer problems.:salute: