PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling FSX

falcon409
May 1st, 2013, 04:07
Well, I have moved everything over to the new C: Drive and was hoping against hope that FSX would function without any problems, but no, lol....there are components that are missing now and it says I have to reinstall. So my question: If I run the reinstall (I have FSX Deluxe and Acceleration Discs to install), will that delete all the additional folders from the previous install, (especially in the SimObjects, gauges, effects folders) or will it just reinstall the basic files? Looks like the same will follow for the FS9 Installation.

Dumonceau
May 1st, 2013, 04:25
I'm afraid just moving over everything does not work. You'll have to reinstall (also REX, GEX and FTX if you have them) because of the functionality and the app data that is created during the install. I'm afraid you're looking at a classic reinstall for everything. You won't loose anything extra though. Just keep your backup safe somewhere!

After having reinstalled everything, I recommend making an image of your freshly installed PC by using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, so that you're safe in case of a crash. I make regular images of my primary harddisk and reïnstalling the whole shebang takes no more than an hour or so.

Looking at things positively: you're looking at hours of quality geeky time! :kilroy: With the added bonus of having a squeeky clean, crisp install after that!

Dumonceau

fxsttcb
May 1st, 2013, 04:54
Well, I have moved everything over to the new C: Drive and was hoping against hope that FSX would function without any problems, but no, lol....there are components that are missing now and it says I have to reinstall. So my question: If I run the reinstall (I have FSX Deluxe and Acceleration Discs to install), will that delete all the additional folders from the previous install, (especially in the SimObjects, gauges, effects folders) or will it just reinstall the basic files? Looks like the same will follow for the FS9 Installation.You can't re-install FSX on top of a previous installation without invoking all kinds of errors.
I'd suggest making a back-up copy of everything you want to keep. Payware may have to be re-installed if it has registry "keys".
If you have access to a 2nd drive for your back-ups, use it. That will allow you to prepare your drive without those files interfering(See Defragging info below).

Windows 7/Vista FSX file locations:
fsx.cfg and GrantedRewards.BIN, {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX}
Your control settings = Standard.xml {C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls}
Logbook.BIN and flight plan files {C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files}
scenery.cfg {C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX}

Once the back-up is done, un-install FSX Acceleration via Control Panel/Programs and Features. That reverts to FSX/FSX Deluxe(Gold), so, the un-install via Control Panel/Programs and Features will have to be done for that level also.
Once it is removed, be sure that all of the above locations were deleted. If the installer finds any FSX remnants it may give errors. CCleaner, or, other registry cleaners, may find other entries that need to be removed also.

I haven't used it, but, others have faith in Revo Uninstaller.

Once it is completely removed. Reboot, Defrag(DO NOT Defrag an SSD), Reboot.
Install FSX/FSX Deluxe, run the sim for a minute, close it, Defrag, Reboot. My prefered install location is; C:\FSX, not the default; C:\Program Files(x86). A completely different, "FSX only" drive is the ideal location.
Install Acceleration, run the sim for a minute, close it, Defrag, Reboot.

Lots of defrags, and clean boots, but, that will align all of FSX's files on the fastest portion of a mechanical disk, and keep them as sequential as possible for best performance.

For FSX to be as fast as it can be, nothing, except Windows itself, and your browser, should be installed if they reside on the FSX drive.
You may want to uninstall all of your other apps previous to the 1st defrag, before FSX installation.
There are some Defraggers out there(Google) that will place specific apps on the fastest portion of a drive without the need to uninstall others, but, starting clean is my prefered method.

The above is a "stock" post, so, some of it may not apply to your particular situation...Don

Oh! BTW, Welcome back my friend.

falcon409
May 1st, 2013, 06:00
Thanks guys. . .good to be back. . .almost. Doing the backups that are necessary right now, then I'll uninstall and start the long process of getting things back the way they were. The one bright light in this who recovery process is that the HDD's were not affected so I was able to recover my e-mail which contains the invoices for every purchase I've ever made for Flight Sim. I was also able to move all of my Installation keys and licenses over as well, so I think I have everything I need to reinstall without the hassle of not being able to find those important documents.

JIMJAM
May 1st, 2013, 07:04
I had 2 Raptor hardrives fail in the last 3 years so I feel your pain.
Most has been covered but my suggestion is to test Fsx in betreen each payware install.Especially the sceneries,weather progs ect. I rushed it and did a marathon reinstall only to have some issues.Now which was it,Activesky,Gex?Trackir?:ques: Reboot in betreen the biggies and also not fooling with the fsx.cfg until the sim is well tested.
Tracking down the culprit of a already buggy fsx is what I dread most.That and dealing with Flight one addons.Good luck.

falcon409
May 1st, 2013, 08:09
Yep, know what you mean JIMJAM and right now this reinstall is a minor nightmare. Uninstall Programs via the Win7 option wasn't an option because FSX was installed on the old version of Windows and doesn't show up. Revo Uninstaller wasn't able to find it because it requires a folder to search and I had already moved it. So I did a new install on one of the two 1TB HDD's I have. It wanted to know where to put it so I opted for the "Program Files" folder (which is where it was originally). Installed FSX, then Accel and then just happened to want to look at one of the folders and found that FSX had installed itself "into" the Program Files folder and not as a sub-folder under Program Files. That now compounds the problem of trying to weed out all references to any of the FSX Installations showing up in the registry. A real mess at this point and I've got to get out of here until this evening, so it'll have to wait.:isadizzy: