PDA

View Full Version : I think I have started my Western Roundup!

Howellerman
April 27th, 2013, 15:55
After a couple of missteps I have started my Western Roundup.

First, I had some problems with Duenna which I thing I may have sorted out finally, thanks to some help from fellow members.

Then, my first recorded flight used the wrong aircraft. I left the Mark Rooks TC version of the Beech Baron in my first recorded slight. Does that count?

And then when I re-flew using the correct aircraft I noticed that when I landed at KORS that I did not get the Duenna message. Baton? Oh, did you mean the baton you left lying on the tarmac back at KBFI?

Third time is a charm, and got in a VALID first leg, followed quickly by the KORS to KHQM leg. Woo-hoo!

Tomorrow we're flying to Oregon... :)

Oh, and because of the patience of Mike and Paul with this rookie, I have changed my Duenna team from (other) to Sim-Outhouse. Hopefully I will represent well.

JKH

Moses03
April 27th, 2013, 16:11
Glad you have it sorted.:salute:

Howellerman
April 28th, 2013, 11:40
Interesting flight today!

Took off from KHQM with morning low clouds (sim time = real time), and leveled out right below the clouds - 2500 feet.

I then noticed I have a faint haze or skrim when looking outside the cockpit. Whoa - what's that? The worlds largest bathtub ring?

Took another gander using F11 - yup, a very large bathtub ring right around 2,000 feet.

When I came out onto the plains of western Oregon along the Columbia River, the haze persisted. This is really not a good thing when flying the Orbx PNW sceneries!!!

Then the pucker factor went way up. As I approached 4S2 it appeared that the valleys were filled with a very dense fog, and that I was in danger of aborting the flight to 4S2 and landing at PIR or KTTD.

Fortunately, I think this phenomenon is related to the bathtub ring, as right when I started my descent into 4S2 the ground view opened up. Scary, though!

Have to figure out this bathtub ring thing!

Thanks for looking!

JKH

Howellerman
April 28th, 2013, 13:24
There is a flight logged on fs-duenna.com from 4S2 to KTTD. I was trying to figure out the visual problems I reported above, so it was not really a flight...

JKH

Howellerman
April 28th, 2013, 17:45
Sheesh. Not a very fun flight - knocked around quite a bit and because of 25-30 kt wind gusts, almost had an overspeed @ 210+ knots. Not to mention spilling my Red Bull all over the cockpit...

Still have the bathtub ring. Willy suggested it may be due to the standard FS weather engine. I will have to try to isolate it, or else get REX working right (REX is a complex beastie).

This is where a little "track time" pays off: I knew from a test flight that hitting the mountains @ 6500 and pulling to 7000 would reduce airspeed to 140-145 so I could pull full flaps at the top.

The descent is entertaining!

Have to figure out this bathtub ring thing...

I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am on the Western Roundup!

JKH

Howellerman
April 30th, 2013, 17:42
Nothing exceptional to report - nice smooth flight.

And a shout-out to Orbx scenery - makes even the high mountain desert of Eastern Washington look good!

PRB
May 4th, 2013, 05:32
Nice going Howellerman! For your future flights, could you post either the text file that the duenna program generates, or the link you at the bottom of the text file? It looks like this:

Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: oZC8YIaCWyrZryLwFn9BdgBz0m0)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=oZC8YIaCWyrZryLwFn9BdgBz0m0

We need it for verification stuff. Don't worry about the flights you've completed, as I've found the entries at that site for those flights.

Thanks HM!

Howellerman
May 4th, 2013, 11:45
After a busy week at the salt mines, I get to finally fly again!

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: p4lV4Iue6OA2uZHgf75tWjP3sj4)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=p4lV4Iue6OA2uZHgf75tWjP3sj4 (http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=p4lV4Iue6OA2uZHgf75tWjP3sj4)

Still have that infernal bath-tub ring around my scenery -looks sort of like 5,000 ft this time. This is irritating as hell! One of the reasons I wanted to fly the Low Course was the great Orbx scenery I have installed - it would be a very pleasurable scenic flight. Alas, something is making it really hazy. I believe Willy may be right - I only see this crap with FSX Real Time Weather enabled.

Coming in to land, it all magically disappears, like the dense "fog" I encountered on my flight from KHQM to 4S2.

Irritating...

Howellerman
May 4th, 2013, 16:17
Well, I think I should have done a little bit more fine-grain flight planning on this one!

Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: ctcXkfnnNqPwXYNQhlWkyCbAGt8)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=ctcXkfnnNqPwXYNQhlWkyCbAGt8

Years of motorcycle riding have taught me that you don't learn how to be faster and smoother unless you push the envelope - you need to push beyond where you are at, to the point you are a bit scared (safely), but learn, yes, that can be done.

Being a rookie flight simmer and treating this contest as I would for an event in real life, I planned my flight route to follow the valleys between Kalispel and Bozeman. Headed south to Missoula, turn left to DRU and 38S, then south again to Coppertown. This left me following the valleys, out of the mountains, and I felt that if something were to go wrong in real life there was somewhere to put her down without killing our traveling salesman.

However, on the route from Coppertown to KBZN I ran across a mountain range. Topped it at 7900 feet, but got caught in turbulence on the opposite site and busted through 8,000 feet (8,018 to be exact) for 5 seconds. Hopefully Miss Murphy will shine her benelovence down upon me... :)

Going to carefully review my Plan-G3 flight plans for the drop down south to Jackson Hole so I avoid doing that again!

Howellerman
May 4th, 2013, 19:06
Had to abort... Damn - first time, and hopefully the last time.

Artichokes are almost done, BBQ is up to speed, and everyone is looking at me funny...

MM
May 4th, 2013, 20:35
No problem on the interruption -- we all understand that the BBQ trumps all.

Also, you may note that the soft ceiling for the Low Course is 10,000 feet.

Howellerman
May 9th, 2013, 21:31
Wif-unit is out for the evening, I have the Giants playing (losing) in the background, and I finally completed my previously aborted Gallatin to KJAC flight.

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: 0nRZIcfccdalQURRw7La3dRx9Q)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=0nRZIcfccdalQURRw7La3dRx9Q

The bath-tub ring came and went tonight - not sure what to make of it right now (tired - long week at the salt mines).

And even full-throttle, the Baron is a bog at that altitude - would not consume more than 40-percent fuel rate, and that means SLOW...

Howellerman
May 10th, 2013, 22:36
On my KJAC to 37S leg my PC completely locked up, and I was close to completion!

Overall, though, it was a suck flight. Mister Salesman was chatting up a storm and I took the wrong canyon route South. Spent way too much time re-acquiring the correct route, after which the GPS was totally confused. Had to fly old-school with the heading bug. Unfortunately, somewhere over western Wyoming my FSX locked-up and there she went... I don't know if I crashed or not, but I will attempt a re-fly.

Howellerman
May 11th, 2013, 12:46
No problem on the interruption -- we all understand that the BBQ trumps all.

Also, you may note that the soft ceiling for the Low Course is 10,000 feet.
Thanks for the reminder! I would have figured it out south of KJAC, where 8,000 ft is in the ground... :)

Howellerman
May 11th, 2013, 12:53
Somebody upstairs really doesn't like south-west Wyoming - man, what a desolate place!

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: lfHErSlwRYMkZNwA18pq3oWYvos)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=lfHErSlwRYMkZNwA18pq3oWYvos

After last nights PC lockup, it is nice to get this one in the log book.

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 12:10
Sheesh - can't even read my log book. Last flight from KJAC to 36U should have been noted as my 9th.

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: 3dfnmDogFne0uUwHdjghQrgXk)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=3dfnmDogFne0uUwHdjghQrgXk

Pretty poor navigation on my part. I wanted to fly the "canyons", but without a topo map it was too easy to head off in the wrong direction, which I did. Probably added 10 minutes to my time.

Interestingly enough, my third waypoint was the Green River Muni (U34), which I use as a base for flying up the Green River Canyon in my RealAir Lancair Legacy. That is a great place to swoop from corner to corner, reminds me so much of motorcycle riding! When the dog-leg turn was made at the airport, I took a look out the pilot's side and thought "Hey, I know this place!" Sure enough, the little burg of Green River.

Still have the bath-tub ring of haze that obscures everything. Going to quit flying right now and go look for a solution - it is infuriating!

JKH

Great Ozzie
May 12th, 2013, 13:22
but without a topo map it was too easy to head off in the wrong direction, which I did.

Skyvector is your friend... http://skyvector.com/

-Rob O.

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 14:45
Well, that was interesting!

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: awETAAnzm0LTJdPcwnouV0ohQ)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=awETAAnzm0LTJdPcwnouV0ohQ

In my total frustration with the visibility problems with default Real World Weather, I ****'ed the REX Guide and got real-time weather working. Hopefully Miss Murphy is okay with that!

I appear to have traded the Devil for the deep blue see, as when I fired up at KCNY clouds were scudding across the runway at 30 knots! Wait - I just landed 30 minutes ago - where did all this stuff come from? I think since the departure airport is roughly 5,000 MSL that I was getting "winds aloft" data? Whatever!

But, I am certainly glad the Baron is a light GA aircraft, and can take off from well-groomed grass because I was pushed sideways off the runway at about 70 knots - that's a first!

I will have to watch this in the future!

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 16:43
Skyvector is your friend... http://skyvector.com/

-Rob O.

Cool! Thanks, Rob!

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 16:47
Sorry, had to do it... :)

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: zlb0z4hY2r3P6gpH3XmR7AFXEo)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=zlb0z4hY2r3P6gpH3XmR7AFXEo

I am not sure if I am getting Orbx bleed-over to UTX/GEX, but the Grand Canyon looked especially detailed and "interesting".

And then, McCarren being a detailed airport, I thought I would stop at the connector and see who was coming in. Good thing - 747 coming in!!! Followed it around the tarmac until they sent Security after me...

Almost done - I am going to have to refly segments with different aircraft (my Dukes, for example). This flight rally has just been a blast!!!

robert41
May 12th, 2013, 18:16
I made a few flights on the high course today and see the bath tub ring now. It is FSX's way of showing limited visibility near the ground.
Below 10000ft you dont notice it, but at 12 or 14000ft it becomes very apparent.
Plus flying in the hills makes it much more obvious than flying over flat land.

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 19:06
Something seriously wrong with the weather engines, kind of like a mixup between REX and MSFS.

Too bad, too - nice time of night to make a flight, and now I have to go finish prepping dinner... [I don't know about anybody else, especially "youze guys", but I do about 95% of all cooking].

Maybe tomorrow.

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 20:20
I made a few flights on the high course today and see the bath tub ring now. It is FSX's way of showing limited visibility near the ground.
Below 10000ft you dont notice it, but at 12 or 14000ft it becomes very apparent.
Plus flying in the hills makes it much more obvious than flying over flat land.

Heya Robert,

I agree with you to a certain point. It is not glaringly obvious when you are in the soup, but man, when it snaps out of it the colors become much more saturated, 3-dimensional, everything.

I think my eyes have been acclimated - it is pretty easy to spot now - everything has a kind of washed-out cast to it.

Switched to REX Essentials Plus Overdrive - one hell of a weather engine, that is for sure. I think there is a start-up sequence that needs to be obeyed, however - still working at it.

JKH

Howellerman
May 12th, 2013, 21:12
Did you know that L06 is not lit up like a normal airport at night?

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: P8WfEVx3fzCGOuu8JyhhGIrjzrE)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=P8WfEVx3fzCGOuu8JyhhGIrjzrE

I took off after "dinner" and thought I had a enough light. Nope.

Came upon L06 in a hurry, too high, and just went for broke - dumped the throttle, applied full flaps, threw out the gear and descended FAST. Not sure it would have worked in a real plane?

Get to spend the night in Furnace Creek with "Sales Boy". Have you ever traveled with somebody so damn noisy and misogynistic before? A wealth of jokes of poor color. I will be glad to dump him on the tarmac in SF... Maybe I can leave the body ... err ... boy behind in Furnace Creek...

:)

Howellerman
May 16th, 2013, 21:25
Funny - I grew up in Reno, 4 blocks from the desert - you would think I would enjoy it more...

Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: J6KD98U6etAIg912PMqDrftWtqU)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=J6KD98U6etAIg912PMqDrftWtqU

Have to say, a rather sloppy landing... :(

Howellerman
May 19th, 2013, 09:08
Well, it guess I have discovered the benefit of flight planning the GPS, even if you don't use it.

Coming out of Lee Vining and skimming the tree tops over Tioga Pass, I set my course for WSW. Unfortunately, it should have been SW, as when I came out of the mountains I was too far North and ended up landing at Sonora Airport (O22) instead of Mariposa.

I think I will refly this leg... :)

Great Ozzie
May 19th, 2013, 11:07
Well, it guess I have discovered the benefit of flight planning the GPS, even if you don't use it.

Coming out of Lee Vining and skimming the tree tops over Tioga Pass, I set my course for WSW. Unfortunately, it should have been SW, as when I came out of the mountains I was too far North and ended up landing at Sonora Airport (O22) instead of Mariposa.

You poor guy... great honesty... don't worry about it.

Maybe Bry (Rosier) will share some stories about how he's witnessed me do that too... :icon_lol:

Take comfort... even happens to the "pros". Check out who was on-board. :mixedsmi:

http://tbo.com/list/military-news/air-force-blames-wrong-airport-landing-on-fatigue-human-error-614036

MM
May 19th, 2013, 11:40
From my visit to the office. Ms. Murphy smiled with distracted amusement:

"Tell the young man that there is not problem. He wants to post the authentication of his flight from O24 into O22. He may then take off from O22 to complete a short hop to O68. And to San Francisco thereafter. O22 will serve as an unplanned intermediate stop."

"And one more thing. Let the fellow know that once he gets over water, Honolulu is not much farther..."

Great Ozzie
May 19th, 2013, 14:05

Good you got just the smile...

I hear she did something more like Lt. Cmdr. Data when I made an extra (unplanned) stop with the Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwxgml0Q3A

Howellerman
May 19th, 2013, 17:34

"Tell the young man that there is not problem. He wants to post the authentication of his flight from O24 into O22. He may then take off from O22 to complete a short hop to O68. And to San Francisco thereafter. O22 will serve as an unplanned intermediate stop."

"And one more thing. Let the fellow know that once he gets over water, Honolulu is not much farther..."

Thank you, Miss Murphy - I will do just that!

And yes, I will definitely watch the compass when out over the water... :)

Howellerman
May 19th, 2013, 17:36
Good you got just the smile...

I hear she did something more like Lt. Cmdr. Data when I made an extra (unplanned) stop with the Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwxgml0Q3A

I imagine that Miss Murphy's reaction your pro move was more of a bemused chortle...

Still miss that show - the best of the bunch, IMHO.

Howellerman
May 19th, 2013, 21:35
Thanks to the efforts of Mister Moses and support from the Great Ozzie, Miss Murphy has given me a "buy" on my landing at the Sonora (O22) versus Mariposa (O68) airports. Now I just have to depart Sonora, land at Mariposa, and the flight is complete.

I was hoping to do that tonight, but I just spent two day installing a new range. This involved hammers, chisels, saws-alls, wiring, lots of dust, everything, and I am butt tired.

So, here is my flight data from my Wrong Way Corrigan excursion.

Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: 7WgHKUugDGrouFmkn9fhqXyN58E)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=7WgHKUugDGrouFmkn9fhqXyN58E

I dunno, guys: when the rules were laid down it sounded like Miss Murphy was a pretty stern school marm.

She seems more like a person who know what needs to be done, but has a heart... (and a sense of humor). :) Thank you!

Howellerman
May 23rd, 2013, 20:10
Well, this was interesting...

First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: vzlmKMnuEviN2rCxzNwZ1DICbQ)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=vzlmKMnuEviN2rCxzNwZ1DICbQ

Since my poor flight planning took us to the wrong airport (O22 in Sonora versus O68 in Mariposa), I offered to treat Salesboy to dinner and drinks. Did you know there are tequila bars in Sonora? Did you know that there are ... ladies of leisure at these bars? Well, Salesboy definitely cannot handle his tequila, and was no danger to the ladies, and after I thanked them for helping me pour him into a cab, we stayed the night in Sonora. After a rip-roaring morning of praying to the Porcelain God, followed by lots and lots of coffee and breakfast (followed by more prayer sessions), we got loaded up for a late evening flight south to our real destination, O68 Mariposa.

Pretty time of day for a flight, and Salesboy was quiet. All was good.

Howellerman
May 23rd, 2013, 21:03
First things first:
Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: gcHXBrPnMp3hqm4yfFNOsQQQ4)
http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=gcHXBrPnMp3hqm4yfFNOsQQQ4

Had kind of a heart-stopping beginning. Took off in the same aircraft as the night before, with the same light fuel load. Oooooh. Once I realized this in the air I took it easy on the fuel flow, calculating in my head and on the screen, and figured, no sweat. But, something to watch in the future: make sure you have enough fuel to make the flight (had 8% left in tanks on landing - kind of close).

I have had an absolute blast doing this! I did not crash, although I came close, and have discovered that I enjoy the "purpose" of flying: Flight planning, fuel management, etc. Looking forward to repeating some of the more colorful (ORBX) legs using the RealAir Duke and Legacy.

Thank you all! Mister Moses, Paul, the Great Ozzie, and finally, Miss Murphy.

John K Howell (aka Howellerman)

MM
May 25th, 2013, 09:27
Congratulations on a job well done.

robert41
May 25th, 2013, 11:40
Congrats John. :ernae:

Willy
May 25th, 2013, 11:44
Congrats!