PDA

View Full Version : Virtavia B-29 Superfortress WIP!

Ferry_vO
April 26th, 2013, 03:51
Looking good so far!

http://www.virtavia.com/gallery_B-29.html

Roger
April 26th, 2013, 03:55
Bloomin' excellent!

DaveQ
April 26th, 2013, 04:11
OMG!!:jawdrop:

Finally, one of the most significant aircraft of WWII is getting done. Well done Phil and Virtavia!!

DaveQ

Ferry_vO
April 26th, 2013, 04:13
One little note on their frontpage though: "Please note, more updates to the B-29 page will not occur until after the R3Y
Tradewind project is completed and released."

skyhawka4m
April 26th, 2013, 04:15
So glad Virtavia is who they are. Offering nice, rather easy to fly, moderately detailed, accurate and most of all important aircraft in aviation history at a reasonable and fair price. Great stuff.

Mach3DS
April 26th, 2013, 05:04
So glad Virtavia is who they are. Offering nice, rather easy to fly, moderately detailed, accurate and most of all important aircraft in aviation history at a reasonable and fair price. Great stuff.

Great post. Couldn't say it better.

roger-wilco-66
April 26th, 2013, 05:48
Good news! :applause:

Cheers,
Mark

Bomber_12th
April 26th, 2013, 06:01
Fantastic news! This one has just suddenly moved up next to Flight Replica's P-40N for the aircraft I'm immediately most looking forward to. I've always appreciated their ability and willingness to make sure that the aircraft look right, and have all of the right 'lines' (this is always the most important element for me, whether I will be interested in the product or not - everything else can come after). Hopefully they'll really go to town on the cockpit: http://www.davidpalermo.com/data/slideshow/18/enolagay/index.html

It will be fun utilizing the FSX material capabilities to recreate the look of the often-polished B-29's (though the metal work they already show is excellent) - and talk about an enormous amount of repaint possibilities, with so much incredible nose art applied to B-29's, both during WWII and into the Korean War.

FentiFlier1
April 26th, 2013, 06:08
Well done Virtavia, and clever choice I should say - this plane should be a seller especially if it is high quality.

Bomber_12th
April 26th, 2013, 06:28
Speaking of B-29's, in a few more years, 'FIFI' will no longer be the only/last B-29 flying. Although it was in hiatus for a while (since 2010), the B-29 "Doc" was purchased by a new set of owners earlier this year (that have more than enough wherewithal to see it through to completion and flying), and over the past few months restoration work has begun again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLAfH3MHtg0

http://www.b-29doc.com/

This amazing video was just posted to Youtube a couple of days ago, filled with recent air-to-air footage with the B-29 'FIFI' (and friends - including the CAF's authentic Japanese Zero) from one of its tour stops earlier this year, when it was visiting California. 'FIFI' is touring much of the country throughout this year, as part of the 'Airpower Tour', and is being joined at each stop with at least one other CAF warbird (changes depending on region of the U.S.). Seen at about the 1.20 mark, the aircraft has some great maneuverability for its size!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw09FiVjlNk

Walter
April 26th, 2013, 07:09
YES!!!!!!!!:applause:

tommieboy
April 26th, 2013, 07:12
Hopefully one day Virtavia will do a FSX B-50 too.....:cool:

Tommy

Bone
April 26th, 2013, 07:21
Great news! I hope the wings and engines will be visable from the VC. It's always hit or miss with Alphasim/Virtavia, in this regard. For the record, I'm not an Alphasim/Virtavia hater, as I have just about all of their models. The new line of Virtavia models dfinately hit the spot when it comes to balancing detail with performance, I just hope they get more consistent with certain things...things that are visable from the cockpit.

stovall
April 26th, 2013, 07:23
Such a great aircraft. Looks like that need will be finally filled for FSX and P3D.

Jafo
April 26th, 2013, 07:25
Nah....next they need to do is a modern rework of the Thud....with a fair dinkum VC up to modern modelling standards...;)

krazycolin
April 26th, 2013, 09:18
That was our model and its getting some lovin... (The Thud)

Bone
April 26th, 2013, 10:35

Yes, and after you, me, and Diego got to sit in that Thud a month or so ago, we all reaffirmed that the pilot can see the wings AND intakes from the cockpit, without any torso twisting. Just by simply turning your head and slightly leaning. I know, I'm like a broken record about this....

Ian Warren
April 26th, 2013, 11:02
JOLLY BLIMEY .. JIMMY JILLICKERS .. Radio Activeman .. :icon_lol: SUPER <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Odie
April 26th, 2013, 11:06
Okay, deal me in!

papab
April 26th, 2013, 13:01

I absolutely agree with this statement..:medals:
Looking forward to this one
Rick

Jafo
April 26th, 2013, 16:29
You just made my day...;)

A bit of 'fiddling' and what I ended up with for a 2D pit ....with animated stick, throttle, canopy, mirrors and refuel probe. Even the gauge reflections in the canopy glass are active and mirrored.

A bit OTT with a few of the extras...but the map on the left....is a 'folded' actual map of North Vietnam [in case I get lost]...;)

ColoKent
April 26th, 2013, 18:10
....just one B-29A .mdl in the package sans turrets for a WB-29-- the post war variants were cool too.

K

Bomber_12th
April 26th, 2013, 18:47
The "Enola Gay" model, as shown in one of the pics, doesn't have turrets fitted, as per original (it not being an A-model).

ColoKent
April 26th, 2013, 19:11
...have I mentioned lately that you're simply BRILLIANT? I had not thought of that!!!! Now get back to work on that F-82....

Heh heh....

Warmest Regards,

Kent

CalCoastFlightSim
April 26th, 2013, 19:31
Awesome!

ColoKent
April 26th, 2013, 20:29
...I was only kidding about tbe F-82!!! We can continue to hope, however...

Kent

Geomitrak
April 26th, 2013, 21:54
The B-29B, 311 built by Bell-Atlanta, lacked all but the tail guns too and was nicknamed the 'Lemay Special'. So, although Virtavia are advertising this as the B-29A, the 'Enola Gay' means B-model repaints are possible too. The screenshots look fairly good - just a bit concerned at how the fuselage starts to narrow at the aft end of the bomb bays. There seems to be a visible angle there, whereas in the real aircraft it is a very gentle and gradual curve. Difficult to be sure with those size shots.