PDA

View Full Version : Hi Fi Active Sky Advanced

Pepere
January 10th, 2009, 10:52
Dose anyone have this? How is it? Does it effect FPS? Thanks.

David :kilroy:

harleyman
January 10th, 2009, 11:00
I do not have this.. But I'm sure as its high resolution textures it will affect performance some....

Since its release their tech forums are packed with troubled users....

BUT...They have Great Products and better tech support....

I would not let that alter your decission in any way....

6297J
January 10th, 2009, 11:01
And is is true about there being no more mountain peaks swimming in milk lakes?

harleyman
January 10th, 2009, 11:07
And is is true about there being no more mountain peaks swimming in milk lakes?

Well...JSkorna says its true...And hes the man...he knows....

glennc
January 10th, 2009, 12:07
I have it - no appreciable loss in framerates. I haven't check the mountain effects - not a whole lot of them around Dallas. :ernae:

Glenn

FAC257
January 10th, 2009, 12:55
I bought it as soon as it came out and was using it up until just a few days ago. I reverted back to ASX for the time being and I wanted to wait until I saw how the patch process would pan out.

As of this time even after reading the patch readme, I'm not real sure yet if I'll bump back up to ASA.

It seems to be a great product in the line of HiFi weaher programs but I have some personal issues with it.

1. I bought the upgrade version from my ASX. Their forum has a few discussions about this already, but I'm a little po'd that I have to have ASX fully installed to get ASA to install. You can uninstall ASX after ASA is up and running, but I found several instances of ASX, folders, files and parts and pieces that don't seem to fully uninstall. Even after uninstalling ASX, I found that FSX still ends up generating a brand new asx-wx-info.dat along with the new asa-wx-info.dat each time ASA starts up.

An improvement in this system would rather be to have ASA, only need to see my registered copy of the ASX install file, maybe a place to type in my ASX registration number, or at the very least have the installation process of ASA automatically un-install ASX properly.

If I had known the ASA over ASX installation was going to be like it is I would have spent the extra money and grabbed the full version.

2. I found the whole Snapshot system of organizing weather schemes is fairly bloated. Each Snapshot ends up taking up quite a bit of HD space.
Before I stopped using ASA I ended up deleting all of the random Snapshots I let it create and went back and only imported the one original XGraphics weather scheme that I had customized and been using all along.

When I started noticing odd textures showing up at my airports I went back and started looking alot harder at the random Snapshots. What ASA did was to randomize not only the XGraphics related to the weather which was alright by me, but what wasn't alright be me at all was that it was also randomizing ALL of XGraphics tecture files. Runway textures, Water textures, Bump Mapping textures, Signage, Taxiways, Roadways etc. What this theoretically means is that everytime I land at a familiar airport it could have a completely different look each time depending on the weather.

If I re-install ASA and start using the Snapshot process again, it'll just take more time to create exact Snapshots that don't randomize non-weather related graphics and import them into ASA one at a time.

3. My last issue is a controversial one. :) I couldn't help starting to wonder if some of the problems and performance issues that folks seem to be having are related to the fact that this utility is for both FS9 and FSX and trys to use both FSUIPC and Sim-Connect to do it's thing. I personally don't want anything FS9 or FS9-related involved with my FSX installation and it would peave me just a bit to think that I'm being made to suffer because of a level of backwards compatibility that was built into ASA. How much of the FS9 underlying workings are penalizing the FSX performance. :)

FAC

Pepere
January 10th, 2009, 15:27
Yhanks for the advice I think I'll pass on this. I purchased FScene4X - Total Pack and had to uninstall it. $63.00 usd down the drain. Im getting tired of that.:friday:

David

JSkorna
January 10th, 2009, 20:14
Beta SP1 is out.