PDA

View Full Version : the Final paintkit!

Matt Wynn
April 22nd, 2013, 17:08
well here it is so far... the last paintkit i'll be making on this stopgap laptop (New PC is expected later this week/early next week)... the English Electric Lightning... have just been working on the 'Bullet' and forwards fuselage this evening, slowly tracking back along the airframe....

as Wg Cmdr. B Carroll said to his students on the lightning "young man you may have noticed the only reason the lightning has wings is to keep the nav lights apart" :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
April 24th, 2013, 04:02
ok... progressing well now... New PC arrives tomorrow hopefully, then another weeks wait and i'll start using my Cintiq Graphics Tablet (A birthday present for myself to go with the PC)... then comes the fun of migrating anything over BUT.... and it's a proper J-Lo of a But(t) i won't be firing up the new rig until this Lightning paintkit is done... and by done, i mean done, as it's in the memory of my Late Grandfather who was in the RAF and had vivid memories of the lightning, especially banging his head on the wing of the thing and it's engine (he was a Propulsion tech as i recall) :salute:

p3aewguy
April 24th, 2013, 13:10
Hey Matt,

Glad you're still in business! LOL! What Lightning is that? The Virtavia / Alphasim one?

Dave

Matt Wynn
April 24th, 2013, 22:27
it is indeed the AS/Virtavia one, well into a deep retexture... so far i've got about 70% newly lined and rivetted, only the wing undersides and aft section to retexture.... the apply decals and the F.1/F.1A kit is done, not sure yet if i'll be making a kit per variant but we'll see :)

p3aewguy
April 25th, 2013, 14:02
it is indeed the AS/Virtavia one, well into a deep retexture... so far i've got about 70% newly lined and rivetted, only the wing undersides and aft section to retexture.... the apply decals and the F.1/F.1A kit is done, not sure yet if i'll be making a kit per variant but we'll see :)

An Excellent flyer indeed. I only just got this one two weeks ago! Been adding some skins to it. Looking forward to this!

Dave

Desert Rat
April 25th, 2013, 14:19
Looking forward to this Matt. Can always rely on you to make quality paints for some of my favourite kites. Even the Brit'stang has got me salivating. Looking forward to this so much you got me posting again.

:salute:
Jamie

Matt Wynn
April 26th, 2013, 02:37
cheers pal, yeah as i type this i'm on my new rig, with a new monitor (23" Widescreen which rotates through 90*) remainder of parts for my 15" Wacom Tablet should arrive next week so i'll really be able to knuckle down... todays jobs include installing Photoshop, MCX and several other FS Tools.... :salute:

best bit is... Lightning and all my paintkit work i did on my external so i can just pick straight back up where i was :salute:

dhazelgrove
April 26th, 2013, 02:59
Looking very good. Hope you'll continue on to the other variants, as they're not too different.

Perhaps it's just as well that the Sea Lightning never made it into production. Yes, there was a proposal for such a beast - I have a copy of it.
It would have been a variant of the T5 - with swing wings, a bigger ventral tank, more missiles and a whole new main gear structure.

Dave

Matt Wynn
April 26th, 2013, 03:11
yeah i remember seeing the sea lightning proposal in the past... can't begin to imagine how tricky that thing would have been to get onto a carrier... it's like Eurofighter GMBh actually has an open concept for a Navalised Typhoon, and also optional Conformal Fuel Tanks.... but still... just installing Photoshop now :) :salute:

dhazelgrove
April 26th, 2013, 03:36
yeah i remember seeing the sea lightning proposal in the past... can't begin to imagine how tricky that thing would have been to get onto a carrier... it's like Eurofighter GMBh actually has an open concept for a Navalised Typhoon, and also optional Conformal Fuel Tanks.... but still... just installing Photoshop now :) :salute:

Well, if the Rafale can do it.....?

Dave

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 03:46
well, progress is being made.... just finished the aft end, now to do the wing undersides before finishing on the Ventral tank... and tidying up other areas, gun port etc....

dhazelgrove
April 28th, 2013, 05:14
Oh, that's nice!!

Airbrakes?

Dave

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 05:19

yeah they're there..... just the Ventral tank really to do now.... then the whole plethora of decals.... maybe my metal effect too....

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 06:32
did someone order bare metal? :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 08:03
very very little to do now on the F.1/F.1A....

stuartcox
April 28th, 2013, 08:36
That is very nice indeed Matt!
Co-incidentally I just framed an original 1960's press photograph of the Lightning, now hanging in my office space.
The picture is stamped and signed with a serial number by BAC...

Stuart

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 08:40
Nice! i like that!......

i've pretty much completed the Bare Metal Masters now, just finalising a few things....

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 09:18
and there we go.... all done... i think.....

p3aewguy
April 28th, 2013, 10:11
and there we go.... all done... i think.....

Another masterpiece, Matt!

Dave

gaucho_59
April 28th, 2013, 10:31
:applause:
Another masterpiece, Matt!

Dave

Are you going to post just the paintkit or the entire model?
Nothing short of stunning artistry! When I grow up I wanna be a Matt....:icon_lol:

:applause::applause::applause::applause::sheep::ru nning::icon29::icon29::icon29:

Matt Wynn
April 28th, 2013, 12:19
cheers guys, just the paintkit as the AS/Virtavia Lightning is still for sale in a few places as i recall... :salute:

p3aewguy
April 28th, 2013, 15:20
cheers guys, just the paintkit as the AS/Virtavia Lightning is still for sale in a few places as i recall... :salute:

It is still payware. I just bought it 2 weeks ago at PC Aviator.

http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/product.php?productid=18694

Dave

dhazelgrove
April 28th, 2013, 23:14
The paint kit is for the F1/F1A, so should be fine for the F2 as well - at least in theory.

Dave

Motormouse
April 29th, 2013, 04:38
Hey Matt, how 'bout painting the Duxford Lightning, XM135, which is infamous for being the
Lightning that W/Cdr 'Taffy' Holden took his impromptu flight around the block in while at 33MU (Lyneham) in 1966.

ttfn

Pete