PDA

View Full Version : Payware NAS Key West. Is it worth it?

Navy Chief
April 14th, 2013, 15:09
Just saw this listed on Simmarket. Is it worth it? NC

http://secure.simmarket.com/mile-high-sims-knqx-naval-air-station-key-west.phtml

falcon409
April 14th, 2013, 16:29
I don't fly near as much Military as I used to, but that's some nice looking scenery. I have not been on many Navy Bases, but it certainly seems to have the "flavor" of what it would be like. Only picky thing I could find that stuck out to me was two Officers saluting on the flightline. Of course I can't vouch for the Navy, but for us. . .the flightline was a "No hats-No saluting" zone. Only time a salute was rendered was as the pilot approached his airplane and as he was marshaled out with the customary salute and thumbs up (or whatever other sign was rendered).

All in all, it looks awesome. I'd certainly pay the price for the amount of work that seems to have been done in modeling and layout.:salute:

Victory103
April 14th, 2013, 17:20
Looks great and made for FSX. I'm running FS9 based scenery that came with the MAIW VFA-106 pack, it's not perfect but free.

Navy Chief
April 14th, 2013, 17:55
I don't fly near as much Military as I used to, but that's some nice looking scenery. I have not been on many Navy Bases, but it certainly seems to have the "flavor" of what it would be like. Only picky thing I could find that stuck out to me was two Officers saluting on the flightline. Of course I can't vouch for the Navy, but for us. . .the flightline was a "No hats-No saluting" zone. Only time a salute was rendered was as the pilot approached his airplane and as he was marshaled out with the customary salute and thumbs up (or whatever other sign was rendered).

All in all, it looks awesome. I'd certainly pay the price for the amount of work that seems to have been done in modeling and layout.:salute:

You are definitely correct about the no hats or saluting zone! NC

delta_lima
April 14th, 2013, 21:01
Looks great and made for FSX. I'm running FS9 based scenery that came with the MAIW VFA-106 pack, it's not perfect but free.

A bit OT - but how is that (MAIW) scenery for you on FPS? I sometimes find MAIW stuff hard on frames in FPS ....

thanks,

DL

ps-the payware version looks nice, though. If it's good on FPS, and the statis can be removed, I'd be in .... with a squint of an eye and some 60s AI .... :)

CG_1976
April 14th, 2013, 22:30
I have this scenery. Boca Chica lol. Been at this NAS many times as a jump point for MUGM NAS. It is pretty well laid out accurate down to the famous front gates, frame friendly at least on my system. My custom USCG AI operates there as does a few USMC and USN Custom AI I use. Certainly better then any scenery current available for Boca. I can smell liberty and crab catching and lobster in the many canals of this NAS and neighboring Stock Island.

jdhaenens
April 15th, 2013, 10:36
It's not bad, really. Mile High Sims are the folks that brought us the "Top Gun" Miramar a while back. You can see the style in the way the buildings and other objects are rendered.

CG_1976
April 15th, 2013, 10:49
I will say the Scenery does also work in Prepar3D. I'll take a flight later out of Corpus to Boca Chica NAS and post pics.

Navy Chief
April 15th, 2013, 12:03
I will say the Scenery does also work in Prepar3D. I'll take a flight later out of Corpus to Boca Chica NAS and post pics.

Thanks! NC

TARPSBird
April 16th, 2013, 01:14
When I saw this thread on Sunday I looked at the Mile High products and decided to get their Miramar 1980's Top Gun package based solely on the screenshots at Simmarket. I was stationed at Miramar during Vietnam 1968-71 and again 1978-81 and I must say Mile High has really done a super job detailing the base. All the hangars and the major infrastructure buildings near the flight lines are included and the detail is excellent. They even included the benches on the Air Terminal's back porch where I used to eat my lunch. :icon_lol: Plenty of static aircraft - E-2's, F-14's, CH-46's, A-4's, even a couple F-8's painted as VFP-63 photo birds which I really appreciated. FPS drop was not bad at all considering all the "stuff" on the ground and my PC is not a high-end gamer rig. I don't have any interest in Key West as I was never stationed there, but from what I've seen at Miramar I'd recommend the Key West package.

Iris F-14 over Miramar Hangars 1 and 2...

Navy Chief
April 16th, 2013, 01:40
Ok, I am convinced!:jump:I just bought both NAS Miramar and NAS Key West!

Great reviews!

NC

modelr
April 16th, 2013, 11:04
Wow, hadn't heard of these sceneries before. After seeing TARPSBird's screenshots, I had to get the Miramar package also. Downloading now.

I grew up around Miramar NAS, going to almost every airshow I could from the late 60's on till I moved here to Iowa in 1975. Then started gong to them again when I moved back to El Cajon from '88-'95. Those overhead shots are just as I remember it.

Navy Chief
April 16th, 2013, 17:04
And both sceneries look GREAT in P3D too!!

NC

Flyboy208
April 16th, 2013, 19:01
I did two Det's to NAS Key West back in the early 90's with my Hornet Squadron, such a beautiful air station, might have to pick this one up myself as long as it does not simulate the Duval Crawl during Fantasy Fest ! Mike :salute:

delta_lima
April 16th, 2013, 20:10
Anyone know if the statics can be easily removed? As in, identifiable .bgls separate from the scenery items?

Looks good, indeed!

dL

CG_1976
April 16th, 2013, 20:29
Here is few pics from the ground I grabbed on a fuel and fluid check.

TARPSBird
April 17th, 2013, 02:03
Anyone know if the statics can be easily removed? As in, identifiable .bgls separate from the scenery items?
dL

delta_lima,
Here is the contents of the Miramar scenery folder. I am not familiar with tweaking scenery so hopefully this answers your bgl question. Note there is a NAS Miramar bgl (red arrow) which apparently has all the call-outs for the aircraft positions.

Navy Chief
April 17th, 2013, 02:04

Looks good, indeed!

dL

Speaking of statics, the static Tomcats looked quite nice, in my opinion! Wouldn't mind using them on some other sceneries I have installed. Strictly for MY use, that is! NC

Navy Chief
April 17th, 2013, 02:11
delta_lima,
Here is the contents of the Miramar scenery folder. I am not familiar with tweaking scenery so hopefully this answers your bgl question. Note there is a NAS Miramar bgl (red arrow) which apparently has all the call-outs for the aircraft positions.

Good mornin, Tarps! I see you are up early too, shipmate! NC

delta_lima
April 17th, 2013, 13:19
delta_lima,

Thanks TP - that answers my question, and yes, it looks like I can indeed remove the bgl(s) I don't want. My purpose was to both

1) help with FPS,
2) enable it to work with earlier scenarios, even though the buildings might be a bit new

So it looks like this will work - should pick it up tonight.

thanks!

dl

TARPSBird
April 18th, 2013, 19:24
My purpose was to both
1) help with FPS,
2) enable it to work with earlier scenarios, even though the buildings might be a bit new
dl

delta_lima,
Most of my working hours at Miramar 1968-71 and 1978-81 were spent at various locations between Hangar 1 and the Air Terminal (tower) building. The major change to that area in the six years between my tours of duty was the construction of Hangar 3 between Hangar 2 and the fire station. Hangar 3 was occupied by VF-124 (the West Coast F-14 training squadron) and various fleet F-14 squadrons depending on who was deployed and who was back home. When I got to Miramar in 1968 that portion of the flight line was still known as "Splinterville". There were 2-3 nose hangars (wood frame) and an assortment of single-story admin and maintenance buildings. Unfortunately I have no pics of Miramar from back then but restoring "Splinterville" would be a fairly easy back-date project for somebody who enjoys scenery work. I am totally clueless on the development of the hangar area at the west end of the field. Pretty sure Hangars 4, 5 and 6 are all new since the mid-1970's when the E-2 Hawkeye community relocated to Miramar from North Island. Sorry for moving away from the original Key West topic but just thought I'd throw out a bit of history since you're interested in the base. :salute:

delta_lima
April 18th, 2013, 19:30
Thanks TB - great history indeed.

Wasn't able to get this scenery yet - work/life got in the way. Likely when I get some free time in the next week or so.

I know for the purposes of my needs, there appears to be enough of the older buildings to enable it somewhat (with a little imagination) of a sense of those tense Blue Moon Cuba flights ... :)

DL

TARPSBird
April 19th, 2013, 00:03
Thanks TB - great history indeed.
I know for the purposes of my needs, there appears to be enough of the older buildings to enable it somewhat (with a little imagination) of a sense of those tense Blue Moon Cuba flights ... :)
DL
DL,
As much as I would like to give my old Miramar squadron VFP-63 credit for participating in the Blue Moon missions over Cuba, I have to give full credit for those missions to our sister squadron, VFP-62 based at NAS Cecil Field in Florida. VFP-63 had to wait until Vietnam to earn our place in the history books, although in most TV history documentaries it's the RA-5C Vigilantes that get credit (and way too much of it) for Vietnam carrier-based recce operations. I recommend visiting www.VFP62.com (http://www.VFP62.com) and checking out the book Blue Moon Over Cuba by Ken Jack and the late Capt. Bill Ecker who was VFP-62's CO at the time of the Blue Moon ops.

evvatc
December 27th, 2014, 16:35
Just picked up this scenery and will get NAS Miramar soon. One question, does anyone know if the FLOLs trailers work? I know the scenery objects are there but I'm not getting any ball or datum lights.
Thanks,
Bill

WarHorse47
December 27th, 2014, 20:42
Just picked up the Miramar scenery as well. Has anyone tried this with the MAIW traffic files to get some ai traffic??

gray eagle
December 28th, 2014, 13:42
Just picked up this scenery and will get NAS Miramar soon. One question, does anyone know if the FLOLs trailers work? I know the scenery objects are there but I'm not getting any ball or datum lights.
Thanks,
Bill

I got the NAS Miramar scenery today from SIMMARKET and the scenery is awesome and brings back memories when I was there in the 60'/70's.
The one experience that I did not like was the installation. I went to install it and it asked for a reg code and so I look around in my email from SimMarket, none there..

Found out where to fine in and made a copy of it for future use. Now, armed with the reg code I attempt to installed it (again) and pasted what reg info I receiced
in the appropriate block, Then a web page opened up wanted my email and the reg code that I got from SimMarket and pasted all that in the blocks on the web page.
It then provide me with an expanded reg code (my original and a few extra super secret number/letters and I was told to copy and paste that giant reg code during the
install process where there is a blank activation code block. The next button goes from gray to back and I could push it and then the install process takes place.
I was also informed that I have 4 remaining activation installations (Started out with 5). I don't like that and I asked them what if for some reason I needed a sixth?
What then. I am waiting for reply to that. I found in the reg key the data that they use to reg it with and saved it to a text file just for grins.

I am use to other outfits giving you a download link with expiration date and if you burn the file to a CD/DVD then you can always reinstall in no mater what.
But with the activation limitations, I'm not to keen on that business practice. I think this was only for the scenery file and not the other files I have purchased from SimMarket.

WarHorse47
December 28th, 2014, 15:36
I got the NAS Miramar scenery today from SIMMARKET and the scenery is awesome and brings back memories when I was there in the 60'/70's.
The one experience that I did not like was the installation. I went to install it and it asked for a reg code and so I look around in my email from SimMarket, none there..

Found out where to fine in and made a copy of it for future use. Now, armed with the reg code I attempt to installed it (again) and pasted what reg info I receiced
in the appropriate block, Then a web page opened up wanted my email and the reg code that I got from SimMarket and pasted all that in the blocks on the web page.
It then provide me with an expanded reg code (my original and a few extra super secret number/letters and I was told to copy and paste that giant reg code during the
install process where there is a blank activation code block. The next button goes from gray to back and I could push it and then the install process takes place.
I was also informed that I have 4 remaining activation installations (Started out with 5). I don't like that and I asked them what if for some reason I needed a sixth?
What then. I am waiting for reply to that. I found in the reg key the data that they use to reg it with and saved it to a text file just for grins.

I am use to other outfits giving you a download link with expiration date and if you burn the file to a CD/DVD then you can always reinstall in no mater what.
But with the activation limitations, I'm not to keen on that business practice. I think this was only for the scenery file and not the other files I have purchased from SimMarket.I also noticed that it doesn't give you a clear understanding on where it gets installed. It says it will install something under the Start Menu, but not where the actual directory for the scenery is installed. Miramar gets installed in the "Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimMarket\KNKX Nas Miramar" directory instead of the AddOn Scenery directory or directory of your choice. I don't like it when these installs are not consistent as to where specific files are placed.

I've been flying in and out of Miramar most of the day with different a/c and have noticed a few issues. Nothing major. Still very nice.

evvatc
December 28th, 2014, 16:10
The install was definitely unique. Did either of you happen to notice if you were receiving the lights off the FLOLS trailers? I don't receive anything from mine, it's like they are turned off.

gray eagle
December 28th, 2014, 16:36
This came from the book. Don't know if this answers your question. Looks to be Unfunctional

http://i62.tinypic.com/16kb19y.jpg

gray eagle
December 28th, 2014, 16:55
Nope dead as a doornail.

http://i62.tinypic.com/nc1enn.jpg

WarHorse47
December 28th, 2014, 17:42
Page 3 of the manual sez...

The FLOLS Runway :
That’s a part of the Runway 24L where you can train to Carrier Landings with the mirror (Unfunctional)

Guess that means its not working.

I encountered some flickering textures on some of the static Tomcats. When I did some exploring with the old AlphaSim Sea Knight a couple of the Tomcats would be invisible - except for the tail covers and ladders - only to reappear as I got closer to their parking spot. Didn't notice the problem with other a/c.

gray eagle
December 28th, 2014, 17:57
Page 3 of the manual sez...

Guess that means its not working.

I encountered some flickering textures on some of the static Tomcats. When I did some exploring with the old AlphaSim Sea Knight a couple of the Tomcats would be invisible - except for the tail covers and ladders - only to reappear as I got closer to their parking spot. Didn't notice the problem with other a/c.

I kinda came to the same conclusion that the FLOLS were non functional when I cut and pasted a page from the manual above ^ #30

gray eagle
December 28th, 2014, 18:00
Also noted this bit of a conundrum:

http://i62.tinypic.com/r26s81.jpg

Then after I selected above (MCAS MIRAMAR) this appears:

http://i58.tinypic.com/20kt35s.jpg

There is most likely a file where the MCAS MIRAMAR can be edited to read NAS MIRAMAR like you see in my 2nd photo.

I will notify either SIMMARKET or the DEVS of this issue.

gray eagle
December 28th, 2014, 18:38
Looks like the FLOLS trailer works with the Key West scenery

http://mhsims.blogspot.com/

WarHorse47
December 28th, 2014, 18:50
I got some stealth tomcats as well.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Miramar/2014-12-28_19-38-52-230_zps696701bc.jpg

As you can see from the cockpit of the AS Sea Knight, they come and go.. just the 3...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Miramar/2014-12-28_19-39-53-928_zps64b60bff.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Miramar/2014-12-28_19-39-54-819_zpsfc92592f.jpg

WarHorse47
December 28th, 2014, 19:08
Found him...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Miramar/2014-12-28_20-1-59-263_zps5e267e09.jpg

But have to haul him in for interrogation, tho...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Miramar/2014-12-28_20-2-41-273_zps8fd3cbcc.jpg

..for riding his bike in a restricted area..

joe bob
December 28th, 2014, 19:44
Found him...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Miramar/2014-12-28_20-1-59-263_zps5e267e09.jpg

D bag in the open, rolling in hot with guns!
RRRRRRRRRRRRIP.

evvatc
December 28th, 2014, 19:50
Grey Eagle, thanks for checking on the FLOLS trailers. I don't have the Miramar scenery yet just Key West and I did not see anything in the manual about the trailers. Hmm, now I'll have to see about replacing them with functional ones.

gray eagle
December 29th, 2014, 03:55
Grey Eagle, thanks for checking on the FLOLS trailers. I don't have the Miramar scenery yet just Key West and I did not see anything in the manual about the trailers. Hmm, now I'll have to see about replacing them with functional ones.

If you can make them work, let me know how you did it. :adoration:

henrystreet
December 29th, 2014, 04:21
D bag in the open, rolling in hot with guns!
RRRRRRRRRRRRIP.

LOL :applause:

gray eagle
December 29th, 2014, 05:21
Maverick....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17450&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17451&stc=1

http://www.tomcruise.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Top-Gun-GPZ750R_500X300_1.jpg