PDA

View Full Version : POSTED: The Last Starfighter

Tango_Romeo
January 9th, 2009, 21:16
I've just uploaded an original F-104G made specifically for CFS2 from a source file by Massimo. She should be available for download by tomorrow. :woot:

She is fully-animated, with a simple VC and nice 2D panel as well. She's armed with the 20mm Vulcan and the AIM-9L 8-sec timed Air2Air missile. :gossip:

PLEASE...****. :whistle:

Jagdflieger
January 9th, 2009, 21:39
Good news at twice the speed of sound.

Thanks!

Tango_Romeo
January 9th, 2009, 22:13
Good news at twice the speed of sound.Thanks!

...but they cannot hide! She'll do every bit of 1500 Kts at altitude. :karate:

A few shots of her goofing around Kunsan-by-the-sea......:rollerskater:

Tango_Romeo
January 9th, 2009, 22:17
...screenies, and a few screenies more. :friday:

Tango_Romeo
January 9th, 2009, 22:50
...newer versions out there, but you cannot beat the 1960s original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL-KCFbIpA&feature=related

Take a High Flight...and slip the surly bonds of earth...the 104 will take you to 100K. :amen:

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 03:12
....who just can't stand the wingtip tanks, I've uploaded a second version without them. :ernae:

This second version also includes an alternate skin for a NASA F-104.:engel016:

Now is there anything else I can do for you today? :caked:

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 03:18
Neither version of the F-104G has been multi-LODed as yet. :faint:

Heck, I need an excuse for a v2.0, don't I? :friday:

Pips
January 10th, 2009, 03:43
Yabba dabba do! :ernae: Tango you really have done a marvellous job on the 104. Especially glad you've provided the option of flying clean.

I'm watching the upload section like a hawk, so I can grab the Starfighter as soon as it's available.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

Morton
January 10th, 2009, 07:20
Terrific! Makes me think of the "good old times" when they were the backbone of the Norwegian Airforce.

Mort

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 10:38
.., but she ain't heavy; she's my baby! :kiss:

I'm working on a bare metal skin, but an artiste' I am not....I really have to labor at it...usually with mediocre results. :help:

I'll probably be busy for the next couple of days trying to get the LOD MDL files done for posting.....for you HOTDOGS who just can't live without filling the sky with planes. That'll be ver. 2 MDL file update. :costumes:

There will be a ver. 3 MDL file to correct an as yet un-named defect. :faint:

OBIO
January 10th, 2009, 12:48
I am downloading both versions now...will get cracking on a bare metal skin for this sexy beast. I assume that the model is shinable.

OBIO

GOOD NEWS: Since Tango mapped this to the original textures, and I have the camo version by Henry Williams and since I have been trying to get Massimo's 104 to work in CFS2 for some time...I have the repaint templates done already!

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 14:18
I am downloading both versions now...will get cracking on a bare metal skin for this sexy beast.

....good news! To me the F-104 is not the F-104 except in USAF bare metal....The shinier, the better! :jump:

However, since I did map the MDL to the Italian templates for the original FS2000 model, any repaints of the Massimo plane should work well. :kilroy:

I will be working on refining this aircraft for sometime to get some issues with the landing gear sorted.....so there's plenty of time for repaints, etc. :typing:

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 15:20
Terrific! Makes me think of the "good old times" when they were the backbone of the Norwegian Airforce.

Mort

...Air Force skin for this plane over at Surclaro.com already to download. :engel016:

OBIO
January 10th, 2009, 15:27
THe MDL files have been run through MDLC V85 to shine them up. The texture files have been enlarged to 1024 by 1024 to give better detail and less blurring. The bare metal has been applied to the fuselage, tanks and tail pieces. Just have the wings to go.

Then I can begin slamming on some insignia and markings.

OBIO

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 15:33
The startup sequence on the engine is long, so wait for the Engine Start Sequence Complete message before attempting to move the aircraft....OR she will pull heaviy to one side. :gossip:

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 21:23
THe MDL files have been run through MDLC V85 to shine them up. The texture files have been enlarged to 1024 by 1024 to give better detail and less blurring. The bare metal has been applied to the fuselage, tanks and tail pieces. Just have the wings to go.

Then I can begin slamming on some insignia and markings.

OBIO

....I'm looking forward to the new skins more than I have for anything recently. :wave:

Check your PMs. :ernae:

jim001
January 10th, 2009, 22:03
A very, very nice model, any possibility of redesigning it into an 'A' model Starfighter, the one with the narrow rudder, this seems to be the only Starfighter not available.

Tango_Romeo
January 10th, 2009, 22:55
...any possibility of redesigning it into an 'A' model Starfighter, the one with the narrow rudder..l. seems to be the only Starfighter not available.

...As far as I can tell this G (actually it will pass as any model BUT an A.) is the ONLY F-104 available for CFS2. That's why I did it. :wave:

Of course, the narrow rudder and shorter rudder fairing of the A are relatively simple to do and entirely possible.....though I believe it also had a slightly narrower fuselage than the G. :typing:

I'll take a look at doing it after I finish the final upgrades to the MDL files for the G....i.e. multi-lod and refined landing gear system.
I hope to have the updated MDLs for both the wingtip tank and no tank versions posted sometime early next week when OBIO has the bare metal textures finished.

Tango_Romeo
January 11th, 2009, 02:06
..., Improved Gear Animation and Texture tweaks now accomplished on both MDL files.....took me twelve hours that I did not think I had in me. And have just shipped them off to OBIO's Shine Shop for a buffing. Will post them soonest for simple drop-in replacement. These 'shined' MDL files will also make OBIO's new baremetal skin look awesome. :kiss:

She'll be absolutely bitchin'. :faint:

OTTO
January 11th, 2009, 04:56
And I thought I was the only one who still used that phrase :icon_lol:

Another GREAT plane for the hangar !
Many Thanks to both of you !
OTTO

Tango_Romeo
January 11th, 2009, 09:59
And I thought I was the only one who still used that phrase :icon_lol: OTTO

...ARE THERE ONLY TWO OF US LEFT? Two bottles of beer on the wall; two bottles of beer! :friday: :faint:

oldwheat
January 11th, 2009, 10:14
If one of those bottles should happen to fall! ...........:pop4:

Tango_Romeo
January 11th, 2009, 14:17
The upgraded MDL files for both 104s are back from the shine shop. I'll post these tonight...I suspect they will be available by tomorrow. :gossip:

All you'll need to do is replace the existing MDL file in each aircraft with the new ones. :typing:

They feature:

- Shine (in preparation for the new bare metal skins)
- Multi-LOD
- Complex Gear Animation
- Corrected polygon texture conflict in gear area

Sierra Hotel! :faint:

Tango_Romeo
January 11th, 2009, 15:45
...the new MDL files in both Shined and Unshined versions. They should be available for download tomorrow, and they are really worth it. :jump:

The new MDL files have been provided in two versions, Shined (courtesy of OBIO's Shine Shop) and Unshined. I suggest the Unshined versions for the camo skin, and the Shined version for the NASA skin and OBIO's forthcoming bare-metal skin. I say this because the Shined MDLs have an extreme shine that will enhance the baremetal and gloss paint skins, but are just a bit too much for camo. :gossip:

However, use your own discretion...sometimes you feel like a shine; sometimes you don't. :wave:

The updated MDL files add the following features to the F-104G: :engel016:

- Multi-LOD
- Complex and totally accurate gear animation
- Corrected texture anamoly

Tango_Romeo
January 11th, 2009, 17:04
....like the AlphaSim P-51, my F-104G does not work as an AI in MB. :redf: :banghead:

I do not know why, but for some reason the AIs never get their engines started, so your wingmen are left on the runway. And if you warp, they will be in formation with you, but will crash because their engines never started. Simple AI flights coast along for a bit and crash for the same reason. :isadizzy:

What a kick in the butt! :a1451:!@$FSDF@#%R@#$RDASAWE CFS2! :angryfir:

:tgun2: FSDS :rocket:

So for now, she's a player bird. I'll find the reason eventually....but for now I'm going on sabbatical for a day or two. :fishing:

bearcat241
January 12th, 2009, 10:27
Great job TR...a nice addition and solid hangar competition for my old fav Ito SF.

I've been mulling over the timed aspect of your Aim-9L missile. It seems to work like any ordinary missile in my sim...you know, rocket exhaust for a few seconds, burn-out and then the drop to the deck. Well, i decided to make mine as a timed explosive by changing the missile dp's weapon_type=5 to weapon_type=8. This will make the missile self-terminate with an air burst after about 6-8 seconds. Its not technically accurate, but a lot more interesting for sure.
:rapture:

Tango_Romeo
January 12th, 2009, 10:43
I've been mulling over the timed aspect of your Aim-9L missile. It seems to work like any ordinary missile in my sim...you know, rocket exhaust for a few seconds, burn-out and then the drop to the deck. Well, i decided to make mine as a timed explosive by changing the missile dp's weapon_type=5 to weapon_type=8. This will make the missile self-terminate with an air burst after about 6-8 seconds. Its not technically accurate, but a lot more interesting for sure.
:rapture:

...the Time Delay DP for the missile in the download. But I'll bet I forgot about the special effect that I created to increase the blast radius of the AIM-9. That may be the culprit. :whistle:

The other possibility is that if the AlphaSim weps were installed after the aircraft files, the original DP for the missile would have been restored.

I'll have to check it out. :kilroy:

At any rate, the complete download for the airburst AIM-9 is posted in my downloads......and it includes the DP and the special effect. :wiggle:

Thanks for the headsup......I'd lose my head, if it weren't attached when I get too many projects running at once. :ernae:

The great thing about the timed missile is that the 104 is fast enough to get close to the target before the detonation. :jump:

Dirtman
January 12th, 2009, 11:44
Powerful, lean & mean!!!

Nice work Tango!!!

Jagdflieger
January 12th, 2009, 12:56
I didn't know that Jimmi Hendrix was a Starfighter pilot. Perhaps he'll get "high" enough to find the Purple Haze...

Dirtman
January 12th, 2009, 14:31
I didn't know that Jimmi Hendrix was a Starfighter pilot. Perhaps he'll get "high" enough to find the Purple Haze...

Or maybe he just got high on speed..........

:focus:

Tango_Romeo
January 12th, 2009, 18:46
If one of those bottles should happen to fall! ...........:pop4:

..down; pass it around...:icon29:

I'm flying chase for the shuttle transport today....and I'm lookin' good 'cuz I got a great shine job over at OBIO's Custom Paint Emporium in Hangar 15, give 'em a call at Cypress 2-9177 for an appointment today. :gossip:

Tango_Romeo
January 12th, 2009, 22:58
Powerful, lean & mean!!!

...that screenie was taken at the point where you reachout and hit the ingnition on the 6,000lb-thrust rocket to get you up the last 20,000 feet for the record. :rapture:

OOPs, this ain't Yeager's plane....BUT she is one hot mothertrucker. :173go1:

egypt23spitfire
January 13th, 2009, 02:27
....................:ernae:thanks TR beautiful work :ernae:
............ another excellent addition to our FIFTIES collection:engel016:
......beautiful looks and handling was a deadly combination
.....was a F2H BANSHEE made for cfs2 or 2000 or FS9??(other than RAZBAM)
looking for JIM JACOBSON'S earlier models

bearcat241
January 13th, 2009, 03:24
You're an old hand Egyptian...you know the drill by now...always go to SimV first for CFS2 jets, then Flightsim, in that order. Just about every model w/o props made for CFS2 will be found at SimV, that's where the search should begin.

http://www.simviation.com/cfs2mod12.htm

http://www.simviation.com/cfs2mod13.htm

egypt23spitfire
January 13th, 2009, 04:27
...........thanks BC:ernae:
........i seem to been having probs with SIMVI SEARCH in OPERA
.......but is now working ok, but in FIREFOX
.thanks for direct links:applause:

DauntlessDriver546
January 13th, 2009, 06:52
TR,

Does the F-104 in the DL queue have that shine?

Tango_Romeo
January 13th, 2009, 07:07
TR,

Does the F-104 in the DL queue have that shine?

....but the upgraded MDL package that is also posted has the final MDL file in both the shined and unshined versions. I did a final upgrade to fix some gear and texture issues and OBIO did the shine in preparation for his forthcoming bare-metal USAF texture. :gossip:

Tango_Romeo
January 13th, 2009, 18:10
....on pins and needles for OBIO's bare-metal textures, as this is the only skin that represents the aircraft as I knew her. :wave:

Tango_Romeo
January 14th, 2009, 17:35
...get to work finding out why the 104 AIs are having engine-start problems. Afraid I'll have to go through the AIR file line by line, but am hoping I'll find the cause somewhere in those blasted FS2000 Turbine Switch settings.

Then I can :tgun2: :icon35: and get some :sleep:.

Tango_Romeo
January 15th, 2009, 22:04
Thanks to Sparks, we have a fix for the AI/wingman engine start problem on the 104. Below you will find new AIR files for both the 104G and the 104NT.
Save them, rename them by dropping the '.txt' extension and replace your current versions with these. :wiggle:

The 104s will now function as AIs and wingmen. :wavey:

Unfortunately, this aircraft's performance curve and control parameters may make AI/Wingman landings and wep delivery near impossible.....as I'm not sure the sim can cope. Testing soon. Film at eleven. At least the AIs and wingmen will fly now. :gossip:

Tango_Romeo
January 16th, 2009, 10:23
With OBIO's YAHDC (yet another hard-drive crash), I suppose that getting a bare-metal skin for the F-104s will require the use of my rather basic painting skills...

...UNLESS SOME SKILLED ARTISTE' LURKING ABOUT LOOKING FOR A PROJECT MIGHT FIND IT INTERESTING. HINT, HINT. :help:

Blue Devil
January 16th, 2009, 17:41
Thanks to Sparks, we have a fix for the AI/wingman engine start problem on the 104...

Great TR, ...Thanks.

P.S. Did Sparks tell ya where the trouble was? ...so that we can increase our trouble-shooting capability here in the basement...

Tango_Romeo
January 16th, 2009, 17:48
....excited! :Banane16: :Banane33::Banane44:
Up the long, delirious, burning blue.....sunward I've climbed! :gameon:

These are shots from the 104 wing stationed at Luke AFB years ago. That last photo is an old A model with the external refueling probe.:hititbanana:

Tango_Romeo
January 16th, 2009, 18:01
P.S. Did Sparks tell ya where the trouble was? ...so that we can increase our trouble-shooting capability here in the basement...

...but do you expect me to share the super-secret information on the forum? :hand:

Oh, what the hell! You're just too persuasive...I failed to notice that the 600 entry record (FS98 Jet Engine) was missing from the AIR file. You gotta have it included with the FS2000 Turbine Engine for the AIs. :gossip:

Nobody wants to know that tech stuff.....they just want it to download, install and work first time every time in an endless stream. :faint:

Blue Devil
January 16th, 2009, 18:05
...but do you expect me to share the super-secret information on the forum? :hand:

Oh, what the hell! You're just too persuasive...I failed to notice that the 600 entry record (FS98 Jet Engine) was missing from the AIR file. :gossip:

...Kinda like forgettin' ta put gas in'er...

Thanks TR.

Tango_Romeo
January 17th, 2009, 10:39
...Kinda like forgettin' ta put gas in'er...

...have put it better. :amen:

The current AIR file is the high performance variety and almost impossible for the AI to handle properly because of the high MOIs necessary. I am planning to redo the AIR file to a more conventional version that will work totally normally for AIs and wingmen in MB. :gossip:

It's always a WIP...never seems to be finished. :faint:

klarm
January 17th, 2009, 17:23
Would anybody be interested in these textures. They were originally done for an FS9 AI project, using Massimo's F-104.
Currently they are generic with no markings, perhaps someone could use them for a template.

Tango_Romeo
January 17th, 2009, 22:07
Would anybody be interested in these textures. They were originally done for an FS9 AI project, using Massimo's F-104.
Currently they are generic with no markings, perhaps someone could use them for a template.

...please email them along to me. Just click on Tango_Romeo on the left side of this post and select Send Email to Tango_Romeo. :engel016:

Why does that pilot look so familiar? :whistle:

Tango_Romeo
January 18th, 2009, 22:45
...of bright metal textures are in the works for the Shined 104 MDL files....COMING TO A DOWNLOAD CENTER NEAR YOU. :applause::ernae: :friday: :woot: :amen: :kiss: :Banane57:

Eoraptor1
January 20th, 2009, 13:01
...of bright metal textures are in the works for the Shined 104 MDL files....COMING TO A DOWNLOAD CENTER NEAR YOU. :applause::ernae: :friday: :woot: :amen: :kiss: :Banane57:
I'm very glad to hear this, TR. I'm having A LOT of fun zooming and booming this a/c. If I see the Starship Enterprise at high altitude, I'll be sure to post a screenshot. (My fellow nerds - you KNOW who you are - will understand the reference.)

JAMES

Tango_Romeo
January 21st, 2009, 07:51
There is an infamous gremlin at work here! :monkies:

Tango_Romeo
January 22nd, 2009, 00:50
...shots of a WIP. They are on the 'unshined' MDL because it's a lot easier to work on the textures pre-shine. She's going to be a gleaming needle, a flashy ride, Gentlemen (using the term loosely). Film at 11. :typing:

dvslats
January 22nd, 2009, 01:51
I don't know TR, for someone that doesn't embrace doing re-paints you're doing a pretty nice job there. :whistle:Unpainted is how I remember these birds at Midway airport...when the Chicago air shows was held there instead of the lakefront...when I was a yungin. Back then you could walk right up to all the planes on display. When the F-104 was there it was polished so nice it made your eyes water when the sun would hit it. That and its shape burned an impression in my brain I'll never forget. Looking forward to this one..... :ernae:

Tango_Romeo
January 22nd, 2009, 10:59
I don't know TR, for someone that doesn't embrace doing re-paints you're doing a pretty nice job there. :whistle: Bub (the infamous gremlin) is the talented character responsible for the pictured skin. I can't paint the side of a fence...well, I can with Huck's help. :wavey:

Unpainted is how I remember these birds at Midway airport...when the Chicago air shows was held there instead of the lakefront...when I was a yungin. Back then you could walk right up to all the planes on display. When the F-104 was there it was polished so nice it made your eyes water when the sun would hit it. That and its shape burned an impression in my brain I'll never forget. Looking forward to this one.....:ernae: That's me too...in the days before that BS NATO camo policy. :jump:

:engel016:

Tango_Romeo
January 24th, 2009, 00:52
Back in the 1960s the Air Force was paying $125/can (about the same size as a can of paste wax for your car) for special aircraft polish used on high-speed jets. That's where the real mirror-bright finish came from on those jets we used to see. :gossip:

I first saw the product when my Latrine Queen asked for something to polish the metal fixtures. I put it on the list for the Barracks Scrounge to find...and he came back with a can of this stuff. It worked very, very well, but made our latrines some of the most expensive to maintain anywhere in the service. The Scrounge developed an ongoing source for the polish...no, I made it a policy to never ask where he got anything. The squadron commander kept asking how we got such bright metalwork in the latrines. Lots of elbow grease and highly motivated troops was always my answer.:kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
January 24th, 2009, 02:31
...the beta version of Bub's bare-metal skins on OBIO's 'shined' versions of my MDLs (the one in the download section), and they look great...... :kiss::applause:

dvslats
January 24th, 2009, 03:58
Nice job guys...she's looking more slippery then ever. :checkeredflag:

Dirtman
January 24th, 2009, 09:52
If I see the Starship Enterprise at high altitude, I'll be sure to post a screenshot. (My fellow nerds - you KNOW who you are - will understand the reference.) JAMES

Yo Eoraptor1;

Looks like I'm BUSTED AGAIN! (at least I'm not alone this time)

Beam me up to the bar Scotty:

bub
January 24th, 2009, 11:49
Hi All,

I remember a site that had all the sci-fi craft on it. I had them all downloaded but lost them in a past "crash". I remember a Klingon D-7, Bird of Prey, Star Wars X-wing and TIE Fighter along with the Battlestar Galactica fighters. Would like to find them again. They were fun to fool around with.

Bub

Tango_Romeo
January 24th, 2009, 18:33
The download should be available tomorrow. Special thanks to Klarm, OBIO and bub for making this texture work. :applause:

bub
January 24th, 2009, 18:44
Here's the scene from the remastered TOS DVD's. Someday I'm going to buy all of them.

Bub

Tango_Romeo
January 24th, 2009, 18:47
Here's the scene from the remastered TOS DVD's. Someday I'm going to buy all of them. Bub

...got an AIM-9L lock on Enterprise yet? :faint: