PDA

View Full Version : On A Lighter Note

gman5250
April 4th, 2013, 23:03
So... I've been working on tweaks thanks to a few friends here on the site who have shared tips and links. I got my frame rates pushing 50-60, and that's with everything running high end...all the bells and whistles. Then.....bam, I go to the cellar. Frame rates under ten. I go back to the tweaks and load up the new Tri Motor. Still...fifteen frames max and dropping to six. I finally give up after an hour and shut down the computer. Turns out Microsoft had paid me a little visit without announcing their presence. Microsoft upgrades...they were hogging my resources and killing FSX. Just an FYI and heads up...if your frame rates crash, look to see who's snooping about in your system. :isadizzy:

roger-wilco-66
April 4th, 2013, 23:08
I had the same effects with a virus scanner once. Dumped it.
Tell tale sign is the hard disk access LED. Also, running FSX/p3d in windowed mode and checking the cpu load of the processes in the task manager will show what bogs down the system.

Cheers,
Mark

expat
April 5th, 2013, 04:26
How/where does one find and kill off these unwanted/unnecessary cpu hogging updates?

Reddog
April 5th, 2013, 04:42
So... I've been working on tweaks thanks to a few friends here on the site who have shared tips and links. I got my frame rates pushing 50-60, and that's with everything running high end...all the bells and whistles. Then.....bam, I go to the cellar. Frame rates under ten. I go back to the tweaks and load up the new Tri Motor. Still...fifteen frames max and dropping to six. I finally give up after an hour and shut down the computer. Turns out Microsoft had paid me a little visit without announcing their presence. Microsoft upgrades...they were hogging my resources and killing FSX. Just an FYI and heads up...if your frame rates crash, look to see who's snooping about in your system. :isadizzy:

Why don't u go into Automatic updates and tell it to just notify u when there ready and then u d/l and install them when u want to. Don't know if win 7 or 8 lets u do that . I'm still running XP.

dhazelgrove
April 5th, 2013, 04:46
Why don't u go into Automatic updates and tell it to just notify u when there ready and then u d/l and install them when u want to. Don't know if win 7 or 8 lets u do that . I'm still running XP.

Both Win7 and Win8 allow you to control how updates are handled. Dave

Navy Chief
April 5th, 2013, 04:53
For that reason, I never allow auto updates! I decide if/when I want an update! NC

gman5250
April 5th, 2013, 12:16
For that reason, I never allow auto updates! I decide if/when I want an update! NC

Yep...I usually keep it turned off. I did allow an update recently and MS probably turned it back on. That's one of those little land mines I always stumble upon.

When I booted back in I was up to my old performance again.

The whole idea of the MS backdoors and little cameras in my screen are a background aggrivation of sorts. I think Im inclined towards the old idea of open platform...it seems more friendly.