PDA

View Full Version : AI Question...

Duckie
April 4th, 2013, 11:29
Is it possible to modify the AI for the SDB USS Enterprise? By modify I mean change aircarft types and/or repaint exisitng.

Thanks,
Steve

fsafranek
April 4th, 2013, 14:06
Is it possible to modify the AI for the SDB USS Enterprise? By modify I mean change aircarft types and/or repaint exisitng.

Thanks,
Steve
I'll try to answer again. The lame forum software lost my first attempt. If my tone sounds "short" it's because I'm still pissed off about it.

Anyway, yes, as it says in the manual (pgs 8-11) you can respot the deck remove all aircraft. From there you could re-populate it using a scenery program with more modern F-18's or use Nick Black's F-14 or even go back in time (wrong roof of course) and use Fernando's F-4's or Mike Pearson's F-8's, F-4's, and A-4's.

And also, yes, you can repaint the existing aircraft. There is no paint kit though. We will be releasing some older FS9 sceneries as freeware later this week and the NAS Fallon scenery includes some statics using the same aircraft that are on the Enterprise so that might be a start in seeing how to repaint them.
:ernae:

Let's try and post again. (saving a copy first though this time)

Duckie
April 4th, 2013, 14:23
I'll try to answer again. The lame forum software lost my first attempt. If my tone sounds "short" it's because I'm still pissed off about it.

Anyway, yes, as it says in the manual you can remove all aircraft from the deck. From there you could re-populate it using a scenery program with more modern F-18's or use Nick Black's F-14 or even go back in time (wrong roof of course) and use Fernando's F-4's or Mike Pearson's F-8's, F-4's, and A-4's.

And also, yes, you can repaint the existing aircraft. There is no paint kit though. We will be releasing some older FS9 sceneries as freeware later this week and the NAS Fallon scenery includes some statics using the same aircraft that are on the Enterprise so that might be a start in seeing how to repaint them.
:ernae:

Let's try and post again. (saving a copy first though this time)

Thanks very much for the reply Frank. I knew the "roof" would be wrong but I particulaly enjoy the gray and white Navy times and I like flying from and trapping aboard carriers in my gray and white USN aircraft! So, now I'll set about learning how to make the modifications noted.

BTW I feel your pain re the repost! Believe it or not I had to do the same thing regarding the post about the upload of the VA-65 A-6!

Steve

expat
April 5th, 2013, 05:27
Sorry, are we talking about changing i) the "AI" (aircraft models) which is only possible for a fixed, static carrier (like the old AS CVN-65) OR ii) removing and changing the static planes (scenery bgl's) on the moving carrier?

I see no discussion of this on pp 8-11 in the SDB Big E manual. Would really be cool to do this (change the static planes).

Duckie
April 5th, 2013, 08:16
Sorry, are we talking about changing i) the "AI" (aircraft models) which is only possible for a fixed, static carrier (like the old AS CVN-65) OR ii) removing and changing the static planes (scenery bgl's) on the moving carrier?

I see no discussion of this on pp 8-11 in the SDB Big E manual. Would really be cool to do this (change the static planes).

I could be mistaken but I believe that all carriers (ships) in FS9 are static. With the FS9 Enterprise I believe that all aircraft are AI. I know they can be totally removed from the flight deck which it states in the above noted manual pages. A couple of locations for my Enterprise I have set up an empty deck. The other 8 locations I have set up for dual purpose.

The reason for my original question was to see if it would be possible to repopulate the AI with aircraft of the desired time period, even though, as Frank noted, the ship has been updated beyond the period I am interested in.

dhazelgrove
April 5th, 2013, 09:31
You'd have to remove all the static aircraft BGLs and create whole new ones, using one of the scenery placement programs available. I believe that there's a program somewhere that will save a specified aircraft/skin as a static model, so you could use your existing AI models or your flying models to create the "eye candy" you want. Dave

awj112
April 5th, 2013, 11:35
The Enterprise came with a series of aircraft .bgl files that would allow you to do just that. They had (and I may not get the names exactly correct) a launch and recovery setup, a clean set up and some sort of really heavy on-deck aircraft config who's name escapes me at the moment.

Uh, Fsfranek, where is this manual you refer to? I have an "old" purchase of the AS Enterprise and it did not come with any manual.

dhazelgrove
April 5th, 2013, 23:02
The Enterprise came with a series of aircraft .bgl files that would allow you to do just that. They had (and I may not get the names exactly correct) a launch and recovery setup, a clean set up and some sort of really heavy on-deck aircraft config who's name escapes me at the moment.

Uh, Fsfranek, where is this manual you refer to? I have an "old" purchase of the AS Enterprise and it did not come with any manual.

We're talking about the Team SDB "Big E", and the manual comes with that. There's a 'Launch' deck layout, a 'Recovery' deck layout and a 'Dual-Purpose' deck layout available. This version of the "Big E" does have AI parking as well as the statics, bot only one or two spots are available (depends on where you're flying). Most AI won't land on a carrier, as the deck's too short. Their FDE is set up for runways. The only aircraft I've seen that will is the FMAI "Phantom for Big E" (available at flightsim), which has folding wings. Dave

Postscript You'll need a tool called SAMM, which you can get here http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=SAMM

Duckie
April 6th, 2013, 04:47
Thanks everyone for all the feedback and tips. I have SAMM and the afore mentioned Phantoms. Now to learn how to use it all. :salute:

Duckie
April 10th, 2013, 09:59
Thought I was a relatively intelegent guy...that is, until I started fooling around with AI traffic files!! :isadizzy:

Finally found some good AI and a traffic file to try and modify. After reading tons of stuff, most of it at least twice, some I still don't get, I finally was able to modify and get some period AI to appear on the deck of CVN65. Still not where I want to be but it's a start.

Duckie
April 12th, 2013, 10:08
My USS Enterprise deck is now a happy deck! I created a new parking plan based on the SDB modified deck layout, modified an existing traffic file and spilled a little paint on the textures for the stock (Alpha)SDB A-6, both by Fernando Martinez, used Nick Black's F-14 model with Hartwig Ullrich's VF-1 textures, and I've gotten really close to what I was trying to do. Each one of the 14 aircraft will launch and recover at different times durng any 24 hour period.

Still have a little tweaking to do and some more A-6 squadrons to do but getting ever closer.