PDA

View Full Version : O/T Bollards!

ndicki
April 4th, 2013, 02:41
Yesterday's sporting results:

Supermarket bollard: 1 Jaguar X-Type: Nil

I took it in to the garage this morning - the estimated bill will be between 2,000 and 3,000 Euros. For one bloody ten-inch bollard, square on in the middle of the lower radiator grille, at walking speed.

All contributions or sympathy welcomed... :isadizzy:

hairyspin
April 4th, 2013, 08:18
I think I've a million Turkish lira I could send you Nigel... http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/images/smilies2/twocents.gif

HouseHobbit
April 4th, 2013, 08:24
RATS!!!
Very Sorry to hear this, I know how much you enjoy your Jag..
And I do wish there is a way this could be resolved without the big hit to the bank account..

ndicki
April 4th, 2013, 09:18
Good news! I passed the hat, and a very nice lady from an insurance company said she'd pay everything but E80.00. Isn't she nice? So by this time next week, I should be back on my own wheels and collecting points again!

Now if I can negotiate a respray of the bonnet as well...

hairyspin
April 4th, 2013, 10:57
Collecting points? You naughty, naughty Nigel! I like the X-type estate in silver myself, very pretty! Just not big enough for the Hairy family, friends and raletions.

ndicki
April 4th, 2013, 11:11
I'm not too keen on estates - all my German family seem to have nothing but! Mine is a 2.2 manual diesel saloon, deep British Racing Green non-metallic, with all the old-style chrome door pillars, headlight surrounds, etc. Not to everybody's taste, but quite old-fashioned, and very striking! Especially with that bollard...

You have a point about not big enough. I'm about 100 litres of boot space down on the old Octavia I passed on to my wife. But it's worth it! I drove the Octavia a fair bit today, and it's deadening!

HouseHobbit
April 4th, 2013, 11:20
Jags are just TOO COOL!!
:ernae:

hairyspin
April 4th, 2013, 11:40
I'm pretty sure I can trump an Octavia for boot space, but it's seats we need so all seven are up at the moment with Grandma visiting. Yes, it's a Peeple Carrier. :monkies:

ndicki
April 4th, 2013, 11:56
I'm pretty sure I can trump an Octavia for boot space, but it's seats we need so all seven are up at the moment with Grandma visiting. Yes, it's a Peeple Carrier. :monkies:

Needs must, I suppose... Have you considered selling a few children? Kill two birds with one stone, fewer people and more readies. I wanted to, so I could get an XK8 instead, but my wife wouldn't hear a word of it. No sense of adventure, that woman.

hairyspin
April 4th, 2013, 12:08
No-one would take them, Nigel!

ndicki
April 5th, 2013, 05:55
Oh dear, that bad? People carrier it is, then. Thank goodness I wasn't blessed with much testosterone...

hairyspin
April 5th, 2013, 07:24
It's not all dismay, the Mail on Sunday are promising whole shillings for the skinny on my recent eBay failure and the ensuing Twitter storm. Should have some left over after paying for the ID changes.

ndicki
April 5th, 2013, 09:14
It's not all dismay, the Mail on Sunday are promising whole shillings for the skinny on my recent eBay failure and the ensuing Twitter storm. Should have some left over after paying for the ID changes.

Er...Wot?

Not connecting...

hairyspin
April 5th, 2013, 10:47
Buy It Now, Nearest Offer or just plain auction; not a single offer for the offspring. And I listed them to end on the weekend when the site is busier. I mean, there's still several days to run on their warranties! (the youngest ones, anyway) Then some blighter bleated "that's inhumane!" :redfire: on the Twit-site and all hell let loose :tgun2: :icon_eek: :sniper:, which is why this isn't posted from my home pooter, or the out-laws or anywhere I can usually be found...

Keeping the old head down for now. I hope to be back for Christmas: in 2016.

greycap.raf
April 5th, 2013, 11:51
I only have experience about driving Volvo estates (yes, plural, I have #1 (http://rtl.1g.fi/volvo/DSC00167b.jpg) and #2 (http://rtl.1g.fi/volvo/940/puunattu2.jpg)) into things - concrete walls, iron pillars, trees - or getting things driven into them and the latter is what I'll use as a contribution here.

Brick #2 a.k.a. 940 Classic presented me with my first ever experience involving a traffic accident as a driver, judging by her driving the girl had barely got her licence when she drove right into the rear of my car. I had just got moving from a red light turned green and was turning to the right over a zebra crossing when I noticed a cyclist about to cross the street, put my foot on the brake and didn't even begin the actual braking when the next thing I realized was a slight bump accompanied by the sound of breaking car parts behind my back. A lot of thoughts went through my head during the ten metres or so that it took to get to the nearest, very conveniently positioned, bus stop... I thought the car was history (940 Classics are more than moderately rare, that was my biggest concern) with a twisted bumper, rear skirts gone, the hatch all crumbled up, rear fenders anything but intact... I parked the car, turned on the hazard flashers and exited the door pretty quickly with a WHAT THE *bleep bleep bleepety bleep* attitude.

When I reached the rear end of my car all I could do was laugh. I couldn't even say that the tow hitch had its paint damaged as it was already paintless and rusty, in fact I got more paint on it... a stamp-sized white mark right in the middle of the ball but the '09 Golf Variant had the entire right side of its front bumper smashed, no doubt the bumper needed relacing and the headlight unit didn't seem to be very well aligned either.

'98 Volvo vs. '09 Volkswagen, 1-0! :ipepsi2:

ndicki
April 5th, 2013, 11:58
Had something similar between a WW2 Willys Jeep and a Renault Laguna. We drove off with a bit of paint missing; he didn't. His engine was in the passenger seat.

Tom - So you're the chap I read about! Incredibly clever of you to hide your tracks and claim to be American. I'd never have thought of it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388222/Michigan-year-old-sale-eBay-1-000-Clean-lovable-pre-owned.html