PDA

View Full Version : You knew this was only a matter of time...

Rami
April 2nd, 2013, 15:41
Good evening,

Talk about paying by the pound: http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/airline-starts-charging-passengers-by-the-pound/

beana51
April 2nd, 2013, 16:50
All those 5X5 passengers may be handled like AIRBUS envisioned..That is STAND UP SEATS!..It seems AIRBUS has denied this,but other airline will impleament this...Like a stand up stretcher,the passenger will be strapped in....Other wise the will need double or triple seats.for one corpulant passenger,and charge accordinally...Weight and Balance....Ironic with all the talk of poor nutrition,poor not eating correctly,world hunger...we have a "FAT" problem.....

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/airlines-vertical-seating

STANDARD RECOMMENDED WEIGHT CHART FOR MEN
<tbody>
<dl>
<dt>Height In Feet </dt><dt>& Inches </dt>
</dl>

Small Frame

Medium Frame

Large Frame

5'2"

128-134

131-141

138-150

5'3"

130-136

133-143

140-153

5'4"

132-138

135-145

142-156

5'5"

134-140

137-148

144-160

5'6"

136-142

139-151

146-164

5'7"

138-145

142-154

149-168

5'8"

140-148

145-157

152-172

5'9"

142-151

148-160

155-176

5'10"

144-154

151-163

158-180

5'11"

146-157

154-166

161-184

6'0"

149-160

157-170

164-188

6'1"

152-164

160-174

168-192

6'2"

155-168

164-178

172-197

6'3"

158-172

167-182

176-202

6'4"

162-176

171-187
STANDARD RECOMMENDED WEIGHT CHART FOR WOMEN
<tbody>
<dl>
<dt>Height In </dt><dt>Feet & Inches </dt>
</dl>

Small Frame

Medium Frame

Large Frame

4'10"
102-111
109-121
118-131

4'11"
103-113
111-123
120-134

5'0"
104-115
113-126
122-137

5'1"
106-118
115-129
125-140

5'2"
108-121
118-132
128-143

5'3"
111-124
121-135
131-147

5'4"
114-127
124-138
134-151

5'5"
117-130
127-141
137-155

5'6"
120-133
130-144
140-159

5'7"
123-136
133-147
143-163

5'8"
126-139
136-150
146-167

5'9"
129-142
139-153
149-170

5'10"
132-145
142-156
152-173

5'11"
135-148
145-159
155-176

6'0"
138-151
148-162
158-179

</tbody>

</tbody>

Dain Arns
April 2nd, 2013, 18:11
Well, it is Samoa Air, basically an air taxi service, which only operates Cessna 172's and Britten Norman BN-2A's.
Aircraft that are limited in operation by weight amounts.
http://www.samoaair.ws/index.php/about-us2/our-fleet

They already operate freight between the islands by the pound, I guess passengers by the pound too makes sense for such a small operation. :icon_lol:

brad kaste
April 3rd, 2013, 06:34
Aren't Samoans noted for their 'over-weightiness?' Airlines in general are always looking for ways to squeeze a few more bucks from the flier. Wait till this rule is picked up by the domestics.....:isadizzy:

Rami
April 3rd, 2013, 10:08
Airlines in general are always looking for ways to squeeze a few more bucks from the flier. Wait till this rule is picked up by the domestics.....:isadizzy:

Brad, Exactly.

This is precisely what I am thinking of with this story...the "slippery slope / precedent" idea. Southwest and Ryan Air will be next. However, when airlines are blowing tires and with the cost of jet fuel, the idea does make some sense.

Rami
April 3rd, 2013, 10:17
All those 5X5 passengers may be handled like AIRBUS envisioned..That is STAND UP SEATS!..It seems AIRBUS has denied this, but other airline will implement this...Like a stand up stretcher, the passenger will be strapped in....Otherwise they will need double or triple seats. For one corpulent passenger, and charge accordingly...Weight and Balance...

Ironic with all the talk of poor nutrition, poor not eating correctly, world hunger...we have a "FAT" problem.....

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/airlines-vertical-seating

Beana51,

For many who are fat, it's not a lack of food, it's a lack of quality food. "Cheap" food is easier to ascertain, but is loaded with salt, sugars, preservatives, fats, and carbohydrates. Without exercise, this is a recipe for weight gain and weight carry.

Frankly, I can see the point. I know this is a generalization, and that some people are extremely heavy because of health issues, but I'll be glad to step on the scale if it means I can pay a lower price for air travel because I keep myself healthy teaching and being a dad to my four kids. Why should I have to pay a price premium because lardo can't go without his Milk Duds?

<tbody>

</tbody>

beana51
April 3rd, 2013, 12:31
Yes my friend Rami,your correct in some ways..The American problem with over weight seems to be not good nutrition but lack of exercise..I do not mean working out in some torture chamber..but what was a natural thing to do..Walking ,climbing,running sports,and just moving it...its the kids today who are trending to a fat life....our very good life may do us in....Look around??.All with heads down playing ,talking ,with some hand held thing..at home its the venerable TV..and more Games...Like with we simmers? Hours can go by before we come up for air..other the trip to the Frig?? Thats it...I suggest you take you guns down from the wall,and go walking in the woods,climb a hill,get up into a tree,drag a 200lb Buck home...and eat him..far more healthy all around.Have Fun..Vin

THERE ARE NO FAT SKELETONS IN THE GRAVE YARDS!<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

Daveroo
April 3rd, 2013, 14:24
well dont I just HATE this thread.......geeeze....just happened to go to my doctor today...465.5lbs..NO...im NOT proud of it..im very embarrassed accually...but i sure cant hide can i?...and why dont have have some hot young twink on my profile pic and claim to be who im not?..........well thats not me....i mean how many times in SOH over the years have i backtracked and admitted i was wrong when proven wrong?....alot of folks would just get mad..argue more and either leave or get booted.....but ill admit when wrong when i am...

im fat it seems because of several things,,a huge non cancerous growth on my thyroid ( or so he said today)lack of exorsize..well i got a broken back and many other physical problems that stop me from walking more then 3-4 steps at a time without big ( 9 on the pain scale) pain...and nope..i dont sit and eat milkduds,or chips,or candy,or any other crap....easter killed me though..watching my young nephews munchin of chocolate bunnies....

and back to flight....theres no way in hell id be able to get on a airliner now...id need three seats i guess.............ack

beana51
April 3rd, 2013, 15:09
Yes Dave,and thats the point of the whole thing,Insulting people,taking away their dignity ,looking down their skinny long nose at unfortunate people....where is the decency here??,singling out people who do not look like you??, These people are big people,normal for them..Whats next??.Many do have problems that they endure quietly..But to be singled out,at a ticket counter,weighed like a trunk in public?,and pay extra????OUTRAGEOUS for these nitwits to do this...More and more our human rights and privacy are being eroded,The size of our soda,what we eat,fat politicians who are control freaks tell us what to eat, and now endorseing punitive ,hurtful, embarrassing stuff for our people...Do they charge more for wheel chairs? When a disabled person ,or Wounded soldier try s to board,now will they have to to pay more?.More for his Steel braces?..This is a money making scheme.!.fear is the Nitwits who own Airlines will attempt to follow this.....better its out in the open....best they lay off my junk when I go to an airport,Leave my Micky "D" be!!!.Stay well Dave!!<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

I remberer when going on an Air Plane like a Connie,or a DC-3 was a speciel event...We got dressed up for this.Took showers,went to the barber,put rose water on yourself....The Flight crews oozed niceness, your wish was their command!the Captain would look and talk to you..Service was the thing..and you felt safe...all done with dignity,caring ,gentleness......for some this was the only time they felt important in their whole life......They made you feel like a Human Being!!!.........Sadly no more!!

BurningBeard
April 3rd, 2013, 15:47
Neither the wife or I are on their chart, both too tall. So If I have to pay more for weight I want leg room parity. I want as much proportional leg room as the smallest person on the chart.

Beard

Rami
April 3rd, 2013, 15:50
Hey guys,

This is why I included the medical exception and others that just seem to have trouble maintaining weight. It wasn't aimed at those who have legitimate reasons...it's for the lazy sobs who veg out, eat junk food, and just don't have any desire to take care of themselves.

And as far as being treated like a human being, fly international carriers if at all possible. My travels on Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines were fantastic, and in the United Sates, Virgin America is the way to go.

CG_1976
April 3rd, 2013, 16:30
I have never had this issue with Delta in the US and in Canada Well I use Canadian North or Air North, both of them treat you like a king.

beana51
April 3rd, 2013, 16:59
"It's for the lazy sobs who veg out, eat junk food, and just don't have any desire to take care of themselves".....I guess you prove my point..you types,want to be the judge,jury ,and grand Insulter of fellow Americans....it seems you are of a superior arbitrator of whats Americans are to look like,are to be what to eat,what to wear,what to drive,and who to vote for.A GREEN Control freak!...Hopeless you are, Once a LOON always a LOON...I know you cannot help it...You do not know any difference....in the make up of Americans!!God love em,we come in all shapes,sizes,colors...now go get yer self A BIG MAC,FRIES,and large Milkshake,discard yer ARUGLLIA!and wheat thins,and Perrier!.and then call us in the AM....HAVE FUN for yer FUNNY!:wiggle:

TuFun
April 3rd, 2013, 17:12
I haven't flown in a long, long time. Last time I did was on a FedEx DC-10. Never flown since, no one to see that requires a flight.

Rami
April 3rd, 2013, 17:37
"It's for the lazy sobs who veg out, eat junk food, and just don't have any desire to take care of themselves".....I guess you prove my point..you types,want to be the judge,jury ,and grand Insulter of fellow Americans....it seems you are of a superior arbitrator of whats Americans are to look like,are to be what to eat,what to wear,what to drive,and who to vote for.A GREEN Control freak!

Beana51,

I see things from the other side of the rabbit hole, apparently. As a teacher and a coach, I see it as my job to help educate current students and future citizens on not just their minds, but also their bodies. I try to set a positive role model for my students and my family by staying in shape. It does bother me to see people junk out, smoke, drink heavily, and otherwise harm their bodies, but I also believe that ultimately, it comes down to personal choice. I guess going through watching one of your parents die and now watching the other one wither away from medical situations that are no fault of their own conduct gives you a different perspective, especially when they never smoked tobacco, seldom drank, and also set a healthy example for their own children.

srgalahad
April 3rd, 2013, 17:59
Someone once said:" The good thing about history is that you can forget the inconvenient parts"...

Ray Wilson was born in Newton, Illinois, on September 2, 1900, and lived a quiet but busy farm life. He worked hard for his education, eventually working his way through the University of Illinois, where he joined the Reserve Officers Training Program (ROTC)to help with the costs of schooling. Ray graduated from this program with an Army Aviation Observer's rating and was chosen to be in the first flight school class to be held at Brooks Field in San Antonio, Texas.

In Denver, "Pappy" worked with the Denver Gas & Electric Co. He continued flying, and became involved in the organization of the 120th Observation Squadron of the Colorado National Guard in 1924. Ray became the permanent duty officer of the 120th Squadron and he flew charter flights in his spare time.

He obtained his commercial license in 1927, and in 1929 became a full-time commercial flyer, working with the ill-fated Curtiss-Wright Flying Service as operations manager, chief pilot and head instructor. The Great Depression closed this operation in 1931. From 1929 to 1941, Ray piloted the "Christmas Cross" a 20x30 foot cross attached to the underside of a plane, through the skies over Denver each Christmas Eve. Ray also operated the Park Hill airport and opened the Ray Wilson Flight School. He later barnstormed from Denver throughout the area to attract customers. He flew "penny-a-pound" flights, which introduced many folks to the fun of flying.

In 1939, Ray filed for authority to operate a scheduled airline, Monarch Air Lines, Inc., through the Rocky Mountain area. World War II caused approval of his airline to be deferred until 1946. In 1950 Monarch purchased Arizona Airways and later joined with Challenger Airlines to become the Frontier Airlines.

http://coloradoaviationhistoricalsociety.org/bio_popup.asp?id=66

Do a search for the phrase "penny a pound" and see how many hits you get! Granted, those were the days when flying was a novelty and companies were anxious to get anyone into an airplane (and people weren't uptight about being 'unequal'). Airlines would gladly fill airplanes if they could. Accidents with overloaded planes did happen so, for a while, it became procedure to weigh everything (you can find pictures of lines of troops being weighed with their bags). As airline travel finally became a thing for 'normal' people to do and organization grew, it was decided there should be a "standard" passenger - which is why, even today we use 170# for an adult (used to be 170 -male, 140-female, but... you know... equality) less for a "child" and less for a toddler.

Now this is a forum about aviation, and almost everything to do with planes depends on weight so we should already know the basics.
After much calculation the designer draws a plane and says it can have 40 seats. Lets say it is capable of carrying 10,000# of payload (people, their bags, cargo - all the things that pay to be loaded).
Have to assume it will all be adults traveling, so that's 40*170= 6800#. Plus 50# of baggage each 40*50=2000# loaded it's 8800# so there's room to carry 1200# of very profitable cargo and we make money! Wait... We have evidence that the population is getting heavier. What do we do? we sell tickets per seat! if those 40 people actually weigh 200# each and still carry 50# of luggage.. 40*200 +40*50= 10,000# and there is no room for cargo, or mail, or medical supplies or.... so the cargo gets "bumped" a few times and the shipper cancels the lucrative contract -- byebye revenue!

So, take out 6 seats... now on a day when there's no cargo, the airline can't sell you a ticket because the remaining seats are filled so you get on Twitter and bad-mouth that airline.... anyone see the Catch-22?

Oh, for another angle consider that same fixed-cost seat with the knowledge that it costs fuel to lift weight - more weight means more fuel to be bought at a fixed price. So it costs more to fly 20 170# people than to carry 20 200-pounders. I think that means that revenue/profit gets eroded and that's not only bad for business, but perhaps puts another airline out of operation.

I'm not advocating scales at every ticket counter even though they already exist. Yes it would be annoying and perhaps demeaning, and it would certainly make the check-in process longer! On the other hand, travelers could demand a level playing field - your bag already gets weighed and you may pay over-limit surcharges. why not charge bags by the pound too... that way my 25# pack for a two week holiday would cost me less than the 49.9# behemoth belonging to the 12-yr-old that his parent can barely lug to the counter on their way for a weekend in Disneyland!

By the way.. the "money grab"? Here's a little comparison:
Searched April 3 for travel Apr 17/22 on Travelocity.com
Atlanta (Hartsfield) to Chicago O'Hare Delta Airlines jet service
Return airfare $177.80 + one #50 bag (*2 legs @ $25?) $50 = $227.80 (tax in)

Delta Airlines Oct 31, 1960 schedule 'coach' (includes 40# baggage and 'jet surcharge') http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/dl/dl60/dl60-11.jpg
$71.30 WOW!
but wait.. adjusted for inflation that is $559.24 http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
So we get less service and no free meal - for half what it cost 50 years ago.

..and yes, I know it's bad form to ruin a good argument with facts :cool:

beana51
April 3rd, 2013, 19:01
Hi again,Having the good fortune to live to close to 81 yrs now,and In my youth a Drill Instructor who instilled good habits to thousands of lads the in the USARMY, and many who went on to their lord and savior ,and by raising four healthy children,two boys and two girls..Fortunate these fine healthy people have presented me with 6 grand children,and two great grand sons...I know a little about Raising kids to be healthy,athletic, compassionate,caring active people...First its starts with the Genes in one,secondly direction of the kids in the better path,,thirdly after all you done ,then you pray...For something in life will kill you,later rather than earlier we hope!....We did this by living in a rural area,insulated by that That Age Of Aquarius Crap,Drugs,promiscuity,early death for so many,rebellion ,disrespect,,hate of god and country..Today many,and our country are reaping the rewards of that life style,the destructive culture of the 60s and the 70s..My Children are all educated ,and are professionals in their field of endeavor...Happy to say this family unit ,still true to its principles.....So now we come to a Insulting decision to weigh fat people by nitwits, for the purpose of squeezing money from them...and for people like you to call them derogatory names,discriminating against them, ridicule them, hate.them in your righteous indignation?..Well its not right.! You know its not right,were your kid God forbid,,no fault of his own was not up to your standards ,what would you do??pick on his aliment,deformity?on something beyond his control?...I do not think so....There by the grace of god go we!..Family values,and religion do that,make one more compassionate,caring,charitable,..without those roots ? one becomes callus,insensitive,self centered....Most of the men I knew weather in the Army,in business ,sports who were successful..all had ..quality s which made them strong...They were humble,compassionate,and generous,and had the gift of the open mind!...They never kicked a guy when he was down..They always extended a helping hand!.As far as yer Rabbit hole? Best you climb a hill with a better view of America!...well my Friend I think we tasked our friends here with this to long now,I felt Daves Pain,and could not keep quite!..Of course its neither the time or the place for this I Rather Be Flying!..I thank the Mods for their indulgence.while we bloviated,in this Milli sec of cyber space signifying SQUAT!!...Have fun..Vin..OVER AND OUT! FINI..Catch Ya Later..Hang Loose...Check six!..at Ease!

maybe you should try a gun and a bible??? ..Thats seems to be what made America great? Do IT??..<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

wombat666
April 3rd, 2013, 19:28
Hi again,Having the good fortune to live to close to 81 yrs now,and In my youth a Drill Instructor who instilled good habits to thousands of lads the in the USARMY, and many who went on to their lord and savior ,and by raising four healthy children,two boys and two girls..Fortunate these fine healthy people have presented me with 6 grand children,and two great grand sons...I know a little about Raising kids to be healthy,athletic, compassionate,caring active people...First its starts with the Genes in one,secondly direction of the kids in the better path,,thirdly after all you done ,then you pray...For something in life will kill you,later rather than earlier we hope!....We did this by living in a rural area,insulated by that That Age Of Aquarius Crap,Drugs,promiscuity,early death for so many,rebellion ,disrespect,,hate of god and country..Today many,and our country are reaping the rewards of that life style,the destructive culture of the 60s and the 70s..My Children are all educated ,and are professionals in their field of endeavor...Happy to say this family unit ,still true to its principles.....So now we come to a Insulting decision to weigh fat people by nitwits, for the purpose of squeezing money from them...and for people like you to call them derogatory names,discriminating against them, ridicule them, hate.them in your righteous indignation?..Well its not right.! You know its not right,were your kid God forbid,,no fault of his own was not up to your standards ,what would you do??pick on his aliment,deformity?on something beyond his control?...I do not think so....There by the grace of god go we!..Family values,and religion do that,make one more compassionate,caring,charitable,..without those roots ? one becomes callus,insensitive,self centered....Most of the men I knew weather in the Army,in business ,sports who were successful..all had ..quality s which made them strong...They were humble,compassionate,and generous,and had the gift of the open mind!...They never kicked a guy when he was down..They always extended a helping hand!.As far as yer Rabbit hole? Best you climb a hill with a better view of America!...well my Friend I think we tasked our friends here with this to long now,I felt Daves Pain,and could not keep quite!..Of course its neither the time or the place for this I Rather Be Flying!..I thank the Mods for their indulgence.while we bloviated,in this Milli sec of cyber space signifying SQUAT!!...Have fun..Vin..OVER AND OUT! FINI..Catch Ya Later..Hang Loose...Check six!..at Ease!

maybe you should try a gun and a bible??? ..Thats seems to be what made America great? Do IT??..<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>

What??????
:icon_eek:

beana51
April 3rd, 2013, 20:17
WHAT? WHO? WHERE? WHEN ?HOW?....I guess its an American culture thing...Do not fret,be happy ,Don't worry,its OK! Be happy..:wiggle:.Cheers!..Vin