PDA

View Full Version : How to "borrow" a VC from another aircraft . .

expat
January 9th, 2009, 09:27
I got swept up in the Captain Sim holiday sale fever and in my mania bought the FSX 727-100 only to find that it had no VC or cockpit and that customers have been promised this for three years. :whistle:

No matter, becaue some clever sole put on their board something I have never seen before:

http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1189256961

Worked like a charm. Never mind the bird is a three holer (I will add a MD-11 EICAS and throttle and pretend its a upgraded private Donald Trump type jet . . ).

Nevertheless, the addition of the interior model is intriguing and something I never heard of before. Now I am trying it on a few other a/c. A Gulfstream V (Brun model) that has a VC built in. No success. Then an old favorite - the Henry Tomkiewicz G550 for AI which I fly a lot with just a 2d panel I have jazzed up. No dice with this.

Is there something about needing a "native" FSX visual model to begin with to get this to work? If its not so limited, there a number of interesting fixes and possibilities to existing aircraft that are missing a VC.

fliger747
January 9th, 2009, 09:35
Lacking sufficent roundtuits... I have not done this but I understand that it is possible to graft the stock 737 cockpit into the POSKY 737 for FSX.

T.

spotlope
January 9th, 2009, 09:35
You've hit the nail on the head, expat. In order to exchange a VC, the original "donor" model and the recipient both need to be FSX native aircraft. I don't know if the version of the compiler matters (SP1, SP2, Accel), but I know they need to share FSX DNA.

expat
January 9th, 2009, 09:50
Thanks Bill. When something seems too good to be true . . . that's usually because it is ! ! ! :d :d

Henry
January 9th, 2009, 10:38
I have tried a few times
not with these particular models
but never had any success
H

robcap
January 9th, 2009, 11:18
Hi, I also never done this, but I think it should work like this:

in the model folder, you should have 3 files:
an interior.mdl, e.g. douglas-dc2_Interior
an exterior.mdl, e.g. douglas-dc2-FSX.mdl
and a model.cfg.

In the model.cfg you have you have an input that should look like this

[models]
normal=douglas-dc2-FSX
interior=douglas-dc2_Interior

I imagine when you copy the interior.mdl file to the model folder of the plane of your choice, and edit the model.cfg accordingly, you should have that interior (VC) in the plane.

You would also have to take the vc entry from the panel.cfg of the donor, and copy paste it into the other plane.
Next copy the gauges, and the VC textures to the receiving plane.
You might have to edit the viewpoints in the aircraft.cfg as well.

Looks something like the steps discribed in the post you refer to.

my 2 cents, give it a try, it just takes a lot of cfg fiddling to get it to work.

R.

N332DW
January 9th, 2009, 18:14
robcap - just won the cookie - he hit every point nuttin but net