PDA

View Full Version : Question about a building "model"

Blondi
January 9th, 2009, 07:09
:help:I am getting a "can't find the building model " error even though the building in question has a BGL,DP, And is in the MDL names list.Can any one tell me why I am getting this error?

Blondi:cost1:

Shessi
January 9th, 2009, 07:32
Hi Blondi,
These sorts of little errors are a pain aren't they?...grrr! :mad:

Can I suggest that you shut down CFS2 and search out all the the 'filelist.dat' files in your installation, also in your scenery files if separate from main install.

Delete them (don't worry they will be automatically reproduced by the sim).

This will make sure the sim recognises all new files within certain folders.

Also make sure that the names for each file type for this building is exactly the same, there may be a mis-spelt name.

Does this also have a texture, make sure that's there to.

Cheers Shessi

Blondi
January 9th, 2009, 19:37
Hi Blondi,
These sorts of little errors are a pain aren't they?...grrr! :mad:

Can I suggest that you shut down CFS2 and search out all the the 'filelist.dat' files in your installation, also in your scenery files if separate from main install.

Delete them (don't worry they will be automatically reproduced by the sim).

This will make sure the sim recognises all new files within certain folders.

Also make sure that the names for each file type for this building is exactly the same, there may be a mis-spelt name.

Does this also have a texture, make sure that's there to.

Cheers Shessi

Thank you Shessi. Yes it has a texture. It is an inf file with a bgl. and a texture file. I jury rigged a dp for it from another building.I will check for spellings ,and eliminate the filelist data. I hope this works. This is an fs9 building. It does show up in the mission builder list but then I get the error when I place it and try to fly the mission.wish me luck.

bearcat241
January 9th, 2009, 21:33
....This is an fs9 building...

:faint:That's the heart of the problem ....no can do unconverted FS9 object or scenery bgl's in CFS2. You're getting a rejection letter from the library manager.

Blondi
January 11th, 2009, 04:46
:faint:That's the heart of the problem ....no can do unconverted FS9 object or scenery bgl's in CFS2. You're getting a rejection letter from the library manager.

Iv'e been rejected?:crybaby:
OK seriously then, What program do you convert FS9 BGL's with then? I tried MDLC and it does not seem to work on anything that does not have a model in a folder that is called "Model".:banghead:

BLONDI:cost1:

bearcat241
January 11th, 2009, 07:45
If you've tried MDLC you should know from the instructions that it also allows one to work with bgl's. You can convert the bgl into a sca file (scasm), and then reconvert it back to a bgl which most likely will be compatible with CFS2. There's no tutorial on the subject, it just takes a bit of time and perseverence to learn the mechanics, like anything else. You'll need to go to the scasm website and get scasm 2.98 i think it is, and drop that into your mdlc folder. You'll also need to get a copy of cmd.exe from your windows\system32 folder and drop that too. Double-click cmd.exe and type in the mdlc command line for bgl to scasm, then recompile the sca file back to bgl. Study the MDLC readme...it takes some digesting but you'll get the :iidea:.

I used this method for converting the Alpha USS Enterprise to a static CFS2 carrier....

Blondi
January 14th, 2009, 14:38
If you've tried MDLC you should know from the instructions that it also allows one to work with bgl's. You can convert the bgl into a sca file (scasm), and then reconvert it back to a bgl which most likely will be compatible with CFS2. There's no tutorial on the subject, it just takes a bit of time and perseverence to learn the mechanics, like anything else. You'll need to go to the scasm website and get scasm 2.98 i think it is, and drop that into your mdlc folder. You'll also need to get a copy of cmd.exe from your windows\system32 folder and drop that too. Double-click cmd.exe and type in the mdlc command line for bgl to scasm, then recompile the sca file back to bgl. Study the MDLC readme...it takes some digesting but you'll get the :iidea:.

I used this method for converting the Alpha USS Enterprise to a static CFS2 carrier....

Thank you Bearcat. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Been busy elswhere. I shall try your instructions . have a good one. Blondi:cost1:

Blondi
January 15th, 2009, 13:55
:help:Bearcat, I did as you said and maybe the first part worked. Using the command line"MDLC /a harlech" [harlech being the renamed fs9 BGL originaly "harlech_castle"][would not work until I shortened the name]MDLC produced a text file,[empty]DSL file,and an SCA file all called harlech.I then used the command line "MDLC /b harlech" which seems to have done nothing at all. Am I using the wrong command line here /b seemed to be the right one.

The B24 Guy
January 15th, 2009, 19:56
Hi Blondi,

You need to use the /m command to recompile .sca to bgl.

That should be all that is needed.

Regards,
B24Guy

Blondi
January 15th, 2009, 20:11
Hi Blondi,

You need to use the /m command to recompile .sca to bgl.

That should be all that is needed.

Regards,
B24Guy

Thank you B24Guy. I'm on my way to try it.

Blondi
January 15th, 2009, 20:32
I tried using/m.It did not produce a new BGL. The old BGL was still in the folder and it did not seem to do anything to it either. Is MDLC making a BGL in some other place?

bearcat241
January 15th, 2009, 20:39
Create the sca file, delete the old bgl, then recompile the sca into a new bgl...

Blondi
January 16th, 2009, 16:05
Create the sca file, delete the old bgl, then recompile the sca into a new bgl...

I tried that Bearcat and all I get is something that says "can't find the model or BGL".Whats next?

bearcat241
January 16th, 2009, 16:50
1...copy the FS9 bgl to the mdlc folder

2...run the command to convert the FS9 bgl to sca (if this goes Ok, there's no reason for step 4 to fail)

3...delete the FS9 bgl only, nothing else

4...run command to convert sca to bgl (the new bgl should appear in the folder when mdlc finishes this step)

Works everytime without fail....otherwise, you're typing an error in your commands

Blondi
January 17th, 2009, 12:59
1...copy the FS9 bgl to the mdlc folder

2...run the command to convert the FS9 bgl to sca (if this goes Ok, there's no reason for step 4 to fail)

3...delete the FS9 bgl only, nothing else

4...run command to convert sca to bgl (the new bgl should appear in the folder when mdlc finishes this step)

Works everytime without fail....otherwise, you're typing an error in your commands

After removing the original bgl and running the command "MDLC /m harlech" it gives me the following message-
"/m = compile Scenery Assembler Source file to <BGL> file disable!
MDLC normally terminated."

It does not make a new bgl.Should the /m be a /M?

The B24 Guy
January 17th, 2009, 19:08
Hi Blondi,

No space after MDLC. "MDLC/m harlech"

Regards,
B24Guy

Blondi
January 18th, 2009, 04:47
Hi Blondi,

No space after MDLC. "MDLC/m harlech"

Regards,
B24Guy

Hi B24Guy, I just tried "MDLC/m harlech". It did the same thing .Same message. No bgl.This is getting frustrating.Thanks anyway.

The B24 Guy
January 18th, 2009, 05:28
Hi Blondi,

Can you e-mail me the BGL file?

Regards,
B24Guy

Blondi
January 19th, 2009, 03:39
Hi Blondi,

Can you e-mail me the BGL file?

Regards,
B24Guy

Hi B24Guy, If you PM me your e-mail I shall send you the BGL.Thank you.