PDA

View Full Version : Little things can make a difference

falcon409
March 28th, 2013, 06:34
I've been flying in FSX almost since it was released and have always had problems with the blurries, stuttering and low FPS. It's something that seems to be a common denominator for most of us and makes what could be a great sim experience an aggravating one more often than not. I've been running an NVidia 9600GT w/512RAM on a Dual-Core 5700+ w/4 gig RAM for a very long time and at first it was a vast improvement over the previous card. Over time though it has shown it's age and as scenery and aircraft become more complex, the ability to run all this has been wearing the old 9600 to a frazzle, lol.

Yesterday, in desperation I spent $100 I didn't really have to try to extend the usefulness of my system and purchased an NVidia GT630 w/2gig RAM. I now see colors and shades I didn't know were there, stutters are all but eliminated, blurries are way improved and fps has increased by about 10fps over the previous card. I would have loved to get a higher end card, but you work with what ya got. So, at least in my case, as the title suggests. . ."Little things can make a difference".

stovall
March 28th, 2013, 06:41
That sound great Ed, really glad you are enjoying your new look. Things should even be better in P3D especially with the Jesus tweak we discussed over at the P3D forum. My video card was high end a year ago but one thinks twice about buy one of these things every time there is an upgrade. This is especially true of us retired folks. Awe well gives us something to dream about.

Enjoy your adventures in flying!!

fsafranek
March 28th, 2013, 06:52
I had a similar experience upgrading to a better graphics card just to make FSX usable at all. I recall the upgrade path the Microsoft rep gave at the Avsim conference in San Diego back in 2005 in anticipation of the release of FSX: first the graphics card, then the RAM, then the CPU.

sidler
March 28th, 2013, 07:24
Try this site :icon_lol: http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

falcon409
March 28th, 2013, 07:39
Try this site :icon_lol: http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/
Yes, a good site and one I keep at the ready. Thanks!:salute:

TheGrunt
March 28th, 2013, 08:21
It is actually there in the low-end-kind of systems where you get the biggest improvements with even quite modest upgrades. If you already have a top end rig, upgrading to a even better graphics card costs a lot, but gains aren't that big in relation to low end. For example, if I want to have some significant improvment to my GPU power (OC'd EVGA GTX670 FTW), I'd have to go with Titan, which costs around 1000 bucks and I would perhaps gain the same 10FPS at best. With CPU (3930K@4.6GHz) it is even more ridicilous. I'd have to spend another 1000 bucks for a 3970X and would probably gain pretty much nothing.

It is great that your simming experience improved! You will get more hungry, though. You start now thinking that your CPU sucks and you have to upgrade that with MB and RAM. Then you'll notice that your GPU is slow for the new processor and needs some upgrading. It is a vicious circle, you know :icon_lol:

italoc
March 28th, 2013, 08:49

Looks like is a good address: going to read carefully as soon as possible

Thanks
Italo

TuFun
March 28th, 2013, 10:18
I tried some of Kosta's tweaks and it did improve my system, although I'm using a ATI 5850. No blurries and gained 5 fps. Also, check out his video card test he did with GF580,680, and new Titan.

Kosta was really impressed with the Titan, but not the price.