PDA

View Full Version : Carenado C172 is out

6297J
January 8th, 2009, 23:44
Is out -

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?id_producto=65

I'll be interested to see just how many people rush to get this one.

arrowmaker
January 8th, 2009, 23:49
Looking at the Carenado site this morning it looks like their C172N Skyhawk II for FSX is now for sale. I'm very glad of this as I have gotten fed up waiting for Flight 1 to release a native FSX version of their 172.

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?id_producto=65

http://www.carenado.com/pages/C172FSX/1024X768/3.jpg

Warrant
January 9th, 2009, 01:31
absolutely a piece of art :amen:

Rimshot
January 9th, 2009, 02:11
Thanx for the news :ernae:

JimC1702
January 9th, 2009, 02:56
Thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting for this one too. I have the Flight 1 C-172 and use it a lot, but I expect this one to be a winner.

Jim

Warrant
January 9th, 2009, 03:06
Purchased it........WOW!

The visual model is excellent, and she flies like the real thing! The only thing missing, is something even Carenado cannot provide....The sensation of force (not The Force, but gravity).

Excellent bird, for a fair price.

:medals:

lifejogger
January 9th, 2009, 04:13
Looks great, Carenado makes great planes, I plan on adding it to my hangar.

6297J
January 9th, 2009, 04:24
I really hope the Arrow is hot on it's heels though

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/incomings.php3

cheezyflier
January 9th, 2009, 05:08
i don't think i'll get this one. i might have if it came with a glass panel or something nifty like that, but as it is, i have the default one, and i don't fly it that much. i use the 182 and the 206 much more

glennc
January 9th, 2009, 05:14
I'll be buying tonight. =Glenn

Warrant
January 9th, 2009, 05:29
The only odd thing about the model is that it seems to lack static discharge wicks.

I have not seen any Cessna 172 without them in the real life, are there any?

Fireball6
January 9th, 2009, 06:32
Another great Addon for Cessna-Fans (like me :wiggle:) - great fun to fly her :rapture:

Killbilly
January 9th, 2009, 07:27
Dang it! This looks like a beauty, but where is that FSX-native V-35 Bonanza? I hope that one is next on their list.

gajit
January 9th, 2009, 07:34
Downloading now :friday:

IanP
January 9th, 2009, 07:37
The only odd thing about the model is that it seems to lack static discharge wicks.

I don't know about older ones, but the C172SP that I flew had no static wicks. Indeed a quick search of airliners.net searching for "172N" reveals very with static wicks.

The only problem I had with Sierra Papa was that with only two PoB, she abjectly refused to land. You had to carry someone in the back as ballast! :whistle:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-172S-Skyhawk/0495574/L/

Ian P.
(Edit 1: My normal mount was a bit smaller... ;) http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-152/1131161/L/)
(Edit 2: The first ever aircraft I flew. :( http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-152-II/1394244/M/)

azflyboy
January 9th, 2009, 10:17

I got my PPL flying a 1976 and 1969 Skyhawk, and I think they may have only had a single static wick on each wing or maybe only one on the tail.

Even if the wicks were originally fitted from the factory, I've seen quite a few older 172's missing them outright, and the only real consequence of not having the wicks is that the radios can get really crackly in the right conditions.

Newer 172's on the other hand, are basically static wick farms, the G1000 is now standard and is probably more sensitive to random electrical fields than the radios in the older airplanes.

JimC1702
January 9th, 2009, 14:46
So, how is it guys? Does it have the same Nav-O-Matic as the other Carenado Cessnas? I'd like an option for more updated avionics.

Jim

Warrant
January 9th, 2009, 15:33
(Edit 2: The first ever aircraft I flew. :( http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-152-II/1394244/M/)

Did you leave it like that after your first flight?:Banane18:

:d

glennc
January 9th, 2009, 17:19
Jim,

Look at the screen shot at the top - no autopilot. There is a cover over the spot where it was in the other Cessnas. I have about a half hour in it now. I like - a lot. It is very much like the first one I flew. I think it may have had newer navcoms but that's all. I think I'll have the 50th anniversery aircraft in my personal avionics shop pretty soon. So far, I have found no squacks. What's there works as it should. Has anyone clicked on the ash trays yet?

Glenn

JimC1702
January 9th, 2009, 17:27
Thanks Glenn. Guess I may have to learn to do some panel mods.

Jim

Warrant
January 9th, 2009, 17:29
Jim,

Look at the screen shot at the top - no autopilot. There is a cover over the spot where it was in the other Cessnas. I have about a half hour in it now. I like - a lot. It is very much like the first one I flew. I think it may have had newer navcoms but that's all. I think I'll have the 50th anniversery aircraft in my personal avionics shop pretty soon. So far, I have found no squacks. What's there works as it should. Has anyone clicked on the ash trays yet?

Glenn

What do you need an autopilot for in a bird like this anyway? The bird flies itsself! This Cessna is all about nostalgics, bit of trimming here, little course adjustment there, carburator heater, primer....the works. What a joy to fly, and what a nice step back to the basics. I clicked on the ashtray's but they remain shut. Is this a Carenado attempt to force me quit smoking? :Banane40:

Can't even open the window to toss my frikkin fag out :Banane36:

:Banane21: (darn, i love these new smilies)

Dangerous Beans
January 9th, 2009, 17:47
Careful what you say about fag's Warrant, our American friends might take it the wrong way. It's probably a good thing you didn't say fag butt :icon_lol:

Warrant
January 9th, 2009, 17:56
Careful what you say about fag's Warrant, our American friends might take it the wrong way. It's probably a good thing you didn't say fag butt :icon_lol:

For all our American friends: A Fag is English for a sigaret :faint:

glennc
January 9th, 2009, 19:52
Hint about the ash tray - check the tool tips. Warrant is correct - the only time I ever use the AP on the real airplane (a G1000 C172) is when I want to play with the electronics. That's what makes the $400 hamburger so much fun. I'm showing my age - I do remember when "fag" meant something other than what it does now.

Glenn

glennc
January 9th, 2009, 21:40
Carenado's gone to a new panel design - knobs built into the model. There is also a bitmap that lays over the area about where the second radio would go. Oh, well, back to the original. :faint:

Glenn

gajit
January 10th, 2009, 00:23
Hi all

I agree about the auto pilot - none of the ones i flew ever had one as it could fly striaght for hours if trimmed well.
Has anyone found a manual? I cant select just the instrument lights without the dome light ruining my night vision.

Cheers

Rimshot
January 10th, 2009, 01:38
Carenado's gone to a new panel design - knobs built into the model. There is also a bitmap that lays over the area about where the second radio would go. Oh, well, back to the original. :faint:

Glenn

No surprise. It is like that with the 152 as well. I like to edit panels myself, but with the models getting more advanced I'm afraid my panel modding days are over...

IanP
January 10th, 2009, 03:33
Fags are still cigarettes over here... ;)

And no, I didn't, Warrant. :P - when I last saw Julie B she was still quite happily flying around. Unfortunately the company that was leasing her, that I learned to fly with, went bust. The aircraft were returned to the lessor and I believe most of them were sold on (Victor Bravo, one of the Warriors, is still in the local area) but for some reason Juliet Bravo was scrapped. T'is a pity. Anyone up for a repaint of the Carenado one for me? :ernae:

Anyway. :focus:

I do like the C172 from the screenshots, but I don't think I'd fly it enough to justify it after some thought. I need a pay rise, sufficient to buy all the good payware that is coming out for FSX now! ;)

Cheers,

Ian P.

bkeske
January 10th, 2009, 07:05

Glenn

Aw man Glenn, that is a shame, as I was studying the VC shots as a good Friendly Panel radio swap....with perhaps one mod w/the RXP 430 at the #1 slot.

Guess not.

I was starting to think that Carenado may be one of the last to switch to 3D knobs...I guess not.

Oh well....I use the 152 stock, of course, so maybe I'll pick this up and do the same, and regulate the 182's and Mooney for more modern equipped aircraft.

CBris
January 11th, 2009, 03:04
Anyone seen a set of blank textures for the 172 yet?

Oh, and what does the external thermometer push in and out for?

gajit
January 11th, 2009, 03:29
Oh, and what does the external thermometer push in and out for?

Hi - its an airvent - works well and welcome on hot days when flying the real thing.

CBris
January 11th, 2009, 03:35
Thanks for that!

hews500d
January 12th, 2009, 07:03
I'd still like to seen an "older" 172 like this:

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=299640

Darrell

CBris
January 12th, 2009, 07:13
hmmm... thinks....

CBris
January 12th, 2009, 07:23
For all our American friends: A Fag is English for a sigaret :faint:

Chortle...

And of course - the "nasty" version comes from faggot

So... you could mean a faggot - i.e. a bundle of sticks or a New Zealand recipe for a ball of chopped liver bound with herbs and bread

Or in Germany it's an old wind instrument...

As for Cigarettes, they can be snouts, coffin nails, smokes, darts, lung darts and even BUTTS.

Doncha just love the English lingo?

[edit] You can open the tippy window on the left. Click the handle! [unedit]

6297J
January 12th, 2009, 08:16
I was happy to see that the folks at Carenado didn't clean the windows completely and left the interior with just a little bit of wear and tear this time. Since I installed that Hi-def interior to the Mooney and the 182RG I've been flying nothing else, but the interior to this one is pretty satisfying too! I flew a 172 in Arizona a couple of years ago and flying from Scottsdale in this one brings it all back.

I'm so glad I gave up the evil weed over a year ago but I wish the ashtrays did something else when they were clicked on. Maybe I can link it to a 'coughing' sound file.

BPbobafett1982
January 12th, 2009, 11:29
I'd still like to seen an "older" 172 like this:

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=299640

Darrell

I do believe that's an L model, but I could be mistaken. It has the continental O-200 mounted up front. I had one based at the field I used to work at. Very pretty plane until the new guy backed the fuel truck into the right wing. That stunt totaled the right wing and the new guy was no more.

The new guy also managed to destroy a Cessna 150 before being fired and sued. He was half baked and didn't tie the plane down properly. One gust of wind, and the 150 flew down off the hill some 100 feet and ended upside down about forty yards from it's tie down spot. I found it the next morning doing my morning fuel run for the flight schools.

hews500d
January 12th, 2009, 12:25
I do believe that's an L model, but I could be mistaken. It has the continental O-200 mounted up front. I had one based at the field I used to work at. Very pretty plane until the new guy backed the fuel truck into the right wing. That stunt totaled the right wing and the new guy was no more.

The new guy also managed to destroy a Cessna 150 before being fired and sued. He was half baked and didn't tie the plane down properly. One gust of wind, and the 150 flew down off the hill some 100 feet and ended upside down about forty yards from it's tie down spot. I found it the next morning doing my morning fuel run for the flight schools.

The ad doesn't give a model designation, it's a 1964 model, going for $35,000. Wish I had the $$$. Any ideas where the "new guy" went after leaving here? I might want to try to avoid him if he is encountered anywhere, especially along the highway or around an airport !

Darrell

arrowmaker
January 12th, 2009, 12:31
Hi all

I agree about the auto pilot - none of the ones i flew ever had one as it could fly striaght for hours if trimmed well.
Has anyone found a manual? I cant select just the instrument lights without the dome light ruining my night vision.

Cheers

I'm having the same problem. If there is a way to switch on all the lighting without the cabin light being on, I've not found it.

gajit
January 12th, 2009, 12:35
Hi Arrowmaker - I have now heard from Carenado's support to be told that it is all the interior lights or none at all. Seems a pity

PhilRamone
January 12th, 2009, 12:50

...your doing? :engel016:

:ernae:

bkeske
January 12th, 2009, 13:50
That seems to be the case for all their FSX aircraft. Perhaps they need some help from Father Bill :amen:

Actually, the Mooney is not too bad if you adjust your monitor for it and night flying. The rest are a bit 'blunt' in terms of lighting.

IanP
January 12th, 2009, 13:54
Mr. Ramone, sir...

when I last saw Julie B she was still quite happily flying around. Unfortunately the company that was leasing her, that I learned to fly with, went bust. The aircraft were returned to the lessor and I believe most of them were sold on (Victor Bravo, one of the Warriors, is still in the local area) but for some reason Juliet Bravo was scrapped. T'is a pity. Anyone up for a repaint of the Carenado one for me?

:wave: ;)

Agreed re the Carenado interior lighting. It's a pity it isn't split, although it depends what else is or isn't lit as to how flyable an aircraft is without the dome light, if you don't have all the switches configured to your desktop controllers...

ryanbatc
January 13th, 2009, 14:47
I really hope the Arrow is hot on it's heels though

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/incomings.php3

Oh hello there!!!

Didn't see that one, a must have.... I don't think even FS9 has any Arrows!!!

Ark
January 13th, 2009, 18:46
I was happy to see that the folks at Carenado didn't clean the windows completely and left the interior with just a little bit of wear and tear this time. Since I installed that Hi-def interior to the Mooney and the 182RG I've been flying nothing else, but the interior to this one is pretty satisfying too! I flew a 172 in Arizona a couple of years ago and flying from Scottsdale in this one brings it all back.

I'm so glad I gave up the evil weed over a year ago but I wish the ashtrays did something else when they were clicked on. Maybe I can link it to a 'coughing' sound file.

Where did you find the hi-def interior for the 182RG?

Thanks!

Epsillon
January 13th, 2009, 21:23
Where did you find the hi-def interior for the 182RG?

Thanks!
On this webpage:

http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html

Regards,

Stephan

Ark
January 13th, 2009, 22:06
On this webpage:

http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html

Regards,

Stephan

Thanks!

CBris
January 13th, 2009, 22:46
Take a close look at the 50th anniversary paint.

Even so, the 172 textures are a vast improvement over the Piper Cherokee, which is one of the "not so good" FSX aircraft, texture wise.

I am not really a photo-textures person. There'll be a review on simFlight in a day or so - just need to finalise the text. All in all - and putting personal painting preferences aside - it is very much worth having.

43000 real world 172 sales can't be a bad sign.

6297J
January 13th, 2009, 23:06
Some pictures of the Mooney interior in this thread - http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3419.0
It really is stunning. (It's not 'photo-real' as in made up of photographs, it's just very very well done!)

CBris
January 13th, 2009, 23:38
Some pictures of the Mooney interior in this thread - http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=3419.0
It really is stunning. (It's not 'photo-real' as in made up of photographs, it's just very very well done!)

These guys are good!

Epsillon
January 14th, 2009, 00:09
These guys are good!
:amen:

scotsman
January 14th, 2009, 09:39
Exactly!

Mike

6297J
January 14th, 2009, 10:00
I don't understand how they could have so radically changed (and improved) the upholstery without changing the model?

CBris
January 14th, 2009, 10:43
I don't understand how they could have so radically changed (and improved) the upholstery without changing the model?

By using better initial imagery.

This is not an insult to Carenado - they just made the "easiest" possible solution. If you are given a good wireframe texture UV map and you have a good library of textures, an accomplished painter can achieve wonders over a commercial paint quite simply because the developer has to "pay" for the paints - and as he wants to maximise profits, the painter is forced to economise.

With all due respect to everyone here - unless you are prepared to add 5 to 10 dollars to a model, some developers won't give you the paints you want.

If you've seen the Bushhawk textures - the basic paintkit on the wireframes took three months to get just right and I had to browbeat the developer with some pretty harsh words to get him to re-map certain pieces as many as four times. A lot of love goes into a third party paint...

Some of us painters are right PITAs...

And re the BH paints - I did them on approval...