PDA

View Full Version : OT: For Those of WWI Aviation Interest

Bomber_12th
March 20th, 2013, 12:59
A tour of The Vintage Aviator Ltd. hangar, with an interview with TVAL's chief pilot (and engineer) Gene de Marco. I've always enjoyed listening to Gene talk about any of these aircraft, as he knows them inside and out. For those that might know the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome quite well, you'll recall Gene de Marco was one of the key figures at Old Rhinebeck, back in its 'glory days'. Since its formation, Gene has headed TVAL in New Zealand, owned by film maker Peter Jackson, which restores original WWI aircraft and engines and builds new copies (aircraft and engines) that are exact to the originals. The sights and sounds that have been seen and heard around Hood Aerodrome over the last several years have been incredible.

At TVAL's ANZAC air show on April 27th, they will be debuting (flying) their latest Sopwith Snipe (their second, after the production of the example that is owned by Kermit Weeks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef0sA1XihcA

stiz
March 20th, 2013, 15:33
how can anyone not love these machines :applause:

I wish they'd build a gotha g1 or summing though :icon_lol:

falcon409
March 20th, 2013, 16:20
Great post John. . .not much on WWI Aircraft, but listening to Gene was quite enjoyable and educational, thanks for taking the time to post.:salute:

Bomber_12th
March 20th, 2013, 16:30
how can anyone not love these machines :applause:

I wish they'd build a gotha g1 or summing though :icon_lol:

That would be incredible to see! And I actually wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do. If the examples they've covered so-far through their corresponding plastic model business, Wingnut Wings, are any indication of the greater span of aircraft TVAL will eventually have built for real, would be amazing (many of them TVAL have already produced). The fact that they are bringing so many rare WWI aero-engines back to life is remarkable in itself - Bentley's, Beardmore's, Mercede's, Oberursel's, RAF.4a's and RAF.1a's, etc.

stiz
March 20th, 2013, 16:42
That would be incredible to see! And I actually wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do. If the examples they've covered so-far through their corresponding plastic model business, Wingnut Wings, are any indication of the greater span of aircraft TVAL will eventually have built for real, would be amazing (many of them TVAL have already produced). The fact that they are bringing so many rare WWI aero-engines back to life is remarkable in itself - Bentley's, Beardmore's, Mercede's, Oberursel's, RAF.4a's and RAF.1a's, etc.

the wingnut wings model is a G.IV totally different plane :)

G.IV (although the below is a GV it didnt change all that much in appearance)

G.I

:engel016:

olderndirt
March 20th, 2013, 16:45
Been dabbling with 'Rise of Flight' and find it surprising how easily those planes quit flying. The fact that some could perform with such agility was a testament to the guys behind the goggles.

stiz
March 20th, 2013, 17:03
you cant base how easy they broke up/fell apart/general broke on a game though, its like comparing real war to call of duty, no matter how "sim" the game is.

Sundog
March 20th, 2013, 17:20
That was excellent. I'm waiting for the Wingnut Wings Snipe (Late) and D.H.2 to arrive within the week. :)