PDA

View Full Version : Avia 57 Cold start

gastonj
March 20th, 2013, 01:39
Hi!

I can't do a cold & dark start with this plane (except with Ctrl+E). I follow the checklist but the engines stay quiet ...What is wrong ?

Regards,
JMC

Sunny9850
March 20th, 2013, 07:59
Do they turn over ?? Might help if you give a bit more detail what exactly happens.

Stefan

lemonadedrinker
March 20th, 2013, 08:05
Hi,

Milton might have taken the batteries so as to get the Harpoon up and running. :sheep:

Andy.

emfrat
March 20th, 2013, 13:39
This can happen when the aircraft in your default flight has a switch set to 'off'(ignition, for example), which is not present in the problem aircraft, so you can't switch it 'on'. Sometimes, if you watch the panel(s) closely during a Ctrl+E start, you can see a switch being moved, one which you have overlooked.
I have also read that it is an FSX issue affecting port-overs. In my case, I have a switch on my CH Quad programmed for Ctrl+E, so it doesn't really bother me, although I prefer being able to do a full cold and dark start.
Simple fix is to check what is switched off in the default flight, and bring things up one-by-one, re-saving the default flight each time, to see which one is the cause. Once you find out, you can save it like that.
In FS9 I used to add a switch to the problem panel to get around the problem, but I don't know if that is so easy in FSX, or where an XML guage is involved.

Hope this helps.
MikeW

gastonj
March 20th, 2013, 14:59
Hi,

I was thinking about a master or global fuel selector but i don't see a knob or switch to activate in CV or in slaves windows, same for an electrical switch. I follow all the usual steps. I did looking for the switches automaticaly activated by pressing Ctrl+E without success! I am very stuck!
Maybe an "not present" switch is the problem, i see this later.

Regards,
JMC

Sunny9850
March 20th, 2013, 17:04
You still did not answer if you get any reaction at all when trying to start or none what so ever.

Here are the basics.

1. Check tank selectors on tank with fuel (between the seats)
2. Set Mixture Rich (levers marked M full forward)
3. Battery switch ON. (Red cover switch)
4. Set MAGNETO to both. On the side panel that means in the up position.
5. Repeatedly click on the starter button so that it remains pushed in until the engine starts.
6. Set generator switch to ON. On the side panel this is the up position.

Works just fine for me.

Cheers
Stefan

magoo
March 20th, 2013, 18:09
5. Repeatedly click on the starter button so that it remains pushed in until the engine starts.

....Most important.

Sunny9850
March 20th, 2013, 21:47
LOL which is why I cleverly asked if the OP got any reaction or none ;)

Cheers
Stefan

gastonj
March 21st, 2013, 02:13
Hi,

I do exactly all the steps described above. Maybe, i lack some perseverance in clicking the starter button :redf:. I got some reactions but not engine start. I'll try again. Please, i do my best to write english as comprehensive as possible but, remember, i am not english language native. Thanks for your answers.

Regards,
JMC

gastonj
March 21st, 2013, 04:09
hi!

Few minutes after my precedent post i did another try and successfull this one :d ! Click, click, .... click again on the starter button and the engine start. Enduring was the key of success : thanks!

Regards,
JMC

lemonadedrinker
March 21st, 2013, 06:09
Hi,
On a (slightly) more serious note about starting engines.

If you start with the default Cessna at KSEA you will notice that even though the prop is spinning, the throttle is at 0%(on the tooltip) and before changing to your required airplane it is wise to open up the throttles to about 10%. This may be part of the difficulty of getting the Avia to fire up.

Andy.

Sunny9850
March 21st, 2013, 07:09
hi!

Few minutes after my precedent post i did another try and successfull this one :d ! Click, click, .... click again on the starter button and the engine start. Enduring was the key of success : thanks!

Regards,
JMC

Tres Bien. The issue is a deliberately low number in the aircraft.cfg for normalized_starter_torque.
This creates a visually more realistic slow turning prop until the engine catches.
If you find that line in the .cfg and increase this number slightly the engine will start faster because it is being turned over faster. But the visual is not as nice and it may not be in synch with the sound file anymore.

The click frequency takes a little practice, but you simply need to keep the button from releasing before the engine starts.

Cheers
Stefan

gastonj
March 21st, 2013, 10:56
The click frequency takes a little practice, but you simply need to keep the button from releasing before the engine starts.

I had to click many times because, on my pc, the starter button was releasing itself before the engine start despite i was keeping it from that. It was my trouble...

Regards,
JMC

magoo
March 21st, 2013, 17:26
She's an old plane, over seventy years. When Milton restored it, he showed boxes of digital instruments, modern switches, LED lighting....but then opted to go as original as possible. The air starters can leak a bit, but the resevoir has plenty of volume. Simply perstist at the toggle, the old Cyclones will fire up.

The happy part is that Mr. Shupe didn't insist on the manual hand crank start after all.