PDA

View Full Version : Painting planes

Daveroo
March 19th, 2013, 09:31
this may be the wrong forum,if so tell me where the correct one is and ill start going there...

i purchased a Bamboo drawing tablet and pen set,i got two programs with it ,autodesk sketchbook express which doesnt use layers unless i buy an upgrade and it doesnt look like a very good program anyway...the other is ArtRage Studio,i grabbed the latest update for it last night,and i indent to purchase the artrage studio pro 4,next month (fingers crossed)..this program has layers and i tested with Lionhearts piper in the .PSD format they showed,now i just have to understand how to use layers and painting ect..the is...have any of you ever used the drawing tablets and pens? to paint?...i purchased it to create a cartoon like caricature for my make belive air service..."Dirty Dave's Air Service"..

im going to draw a "Dirty Dave" to put on the vertical tail,and nose of my chosen aircraft.ive dugout all my nose art,and air art books i have, well i found 7 of them last night....but i have three little guys i used to draw in high school that i can work off...the thing is..im going to have to learn how to draw the cartoon...save it..resize it..reverse it..and copy/paste it? on to my planes??..that scares me..

also..i now ive asked before...but i just dont remember...where are the online tutorials for help in painting?....

Dave

falcon409
March 19th, 2013, 09:52
I'm on my cell and texting isn't something I am very good. Layers are simple if you think of them this way....you have a base piece of artwork....each layer is like adding another layer of tracing paper over that original. If you make a mistake, it's on the tracing paper and not the original

JoeW
March 19th, 2013, 11:57
Sketching on a pad is one thing, but the hardest thing for me was to sketch with the bamboo and look at the screen. It's totally unnatural. I use an old Photoshop 6.0 that I bought for $50 about 6 years ago I also have Paint Shop Pro 7.0 and 8.0, all have layers but the Photoshop also has DXT conversion. I usually save in BMP with an alpha and open in ACES Image and convert to dxt whatever and then save as dds.
works good and is compatible with DX10.

rgatkinson
March 19th, 2013, 13:43
Daveroo,

Take a look at this site http://www.simmerspaintshop.com I have found it very helpful.

Regards,

Taff

Daveroo
March 19th, 2013, 18:25
Daveroo,

Take a look at this site http://www.simmerspaintshop.com I have found it very helpful.

Regards,

Taff

ahhh thanks Taff..thats the website i was after...i think Milton or Bill gave me that a long time ago..but i couldnt find it...was buried in my old IE bookmarks....thanks