PDA

View Full Version : Grumman F-14D Tomcat for FSX(A) v2.0 released

Dino Cattaneo
March 10th, 2013, 23:31

Ok...it is ready, more or less.I have released the 2.00 build of the F-14D. It is not 100% bug free, and some functions are not working as they should or could... but at this point I believe it is good enough for release and, although I do not like too much patches and fixes, they are a good method of improving the product quality - so expect some coming for the F-14, too.
This is a "limited" introduction - that is the file will initially be available only on Google Docs. This is done ONLY to verify that the file works (i.e. there are no catastrophic issues) before releasing to repositories like Avsim or Flightsim. The file is 128Mb so, Google Docs is likely to have bandwith issues. Rest assued that the file will be released to the usual servers asap.

I'd like to thank all the contributors, the testers and the supporters that allowed this freeware project to reach its current level of quality and features. Credits as follows:
3D model,textures,virtual cockpit and flight model by: Dino Cattaneo;
Head Up display by Jivko Rusev, based on code by Scott Printz;
Custom XML controls by Rob Barendregt;
Sound package by Serge Luzin;
VF-31 and VF-2 repaints by Jiri Soukup;
VF-213 repaint reworked on an original by Hanimichal;

It can be downloaded from my blog here:
http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/f-14d-tomcat-for-flight-simulator.html

Please note that the file is quite large so Google Docs may have bandwidth issues - it will be uploaded to flightsim and avism asap.

Aside, I have also started a facebook page for my FSX project - you may want to look for Indiafoxtecho and "like" it.

Ian Warren
March 10th, 2013, 23:40
Thanks Dino .. Cripes .. I have a payware F-14 but think with my SDB USS Enterprise your Tomcat is going to be the first to touch the deck in this round :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Tartuffe
March 11th, 2013, 00:38
Thanks Dino ! :applause:

Bruce Thompson
March 11th, 2013, 01:23
Thank you Dino.:applause::applause::applause:

Mithrin
March 11th, 2013, 01:41
Thanks a lot Dino!

IanHenry
March 11th, 2013, 01:54
Many thanks Dino, I've been looking forward to this for a while. Regards, Ian.

AusWilko
March 11th, 2013, 02:06
You da man

Thanks for a outstanding effort :salute:

FlameOut
March 11th, 2013, 02:24
Thanks for all the wonderful aircraft you have provided us ! :salute:

Dino Cattaneo
March 11th, 2013, 02:48
Guys, you are welcome! Thanks for the appreciation. It is just a humble homage to an amazing aircraft.

There is a number of potential improvements that could be applied to this initial release... I'll see what can be done in the next months - for one, I'd like to take some time to see if it is possible (and how long it wil take) to integrate this Tomcat in the TacPack environment...

assassinezzio
March 11th, 2013, 03:20
Once again stunning work, well done sir!:salute:

sepp666
March 11th, 2013, 04:07
Thank you very much Dino!:salute:

I also like to thank Hanimichal again for his beautiful repaints!:salute:

airattackimages
March 11th, 2013, 05:26
Wow.

Absolutely stellar! Only Dino could improve on his own Tomcat. Well done!

FentiFlier1
March 11th, 2013, 05:56
Thanks a lot Dino! I was looking forward to your F-14 but decided to wait until the "proper" release.

I managed a quick spin earlier on... Amazed by the very gentle handling and low speeds while landing! Had a look to check on internet and sure enough, approach speed: 125 kn, stall speed around 100 kn. Wow, what a good design!

Owen.

Mach3DS
March 11th, 2013, 06:00
Guys, you are welcome! Thanks for the appreciation. It is just a humble homage to an amazing aircraft.

There is a number of potential improvements that could be applied to this initial release... I'll see what can be done in the next months - for one, I'd like to take some time to see if it is possible (and how long it wil take) to integrate this Tomcat in the TacPack environment...

It would be amazing if that were to happen. You would definitely set a new benchmark for yourself and your work. :)

b24_witchcraft
March 11th, 2013, 06:19
Flew it for a bit this morning - happy to report there were no problems with it here.

Great work once again Dino! A huge THANK YOU! :applause::applause::applause::icon29:

Odie
March 11th, 2013, 06:22
Many thanks for your work and efforts, Dino! Same to all those that helped get this Big Cat in the air! It's much appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks Hanimichal, for the great repaints!

stovall
March 11th, 2013, 06:29
The moment has arrived, I wanted to be the one to post this great work as a sticky but was catching some zzzz's when she arrived. Thanks Dino for your fantastic contribution to our hobby. Trials fwill begin out of San Diego today and as you would suspect from MiraMar NAS.

Dino Cattaneo
March 11th, 2013, 06:59
Guys

You may want to take some time to read the "Virtual NATOPS" manual enclosed in the package - it is found on the docs folder of the Simobjects/Airplanes/Grumman_F14D ... it is based on the actual NATOPS flight manual - I am not really sure how many people actually do read the manual (I don't!) - but for those who are looking for more information on the big feline it should be an interesting read.

dvj
March 11th, 2013, 09:00
:applause::wiggle::applause::wiggle::applause::wig gle::applause::wiggle:

:salute:

jungle_balloo
March 11th, 2013, 10:09
Whaoouuh ! how beautiful it is, thank you very much, Dino :jump: :applause: :wiggle: :wavey:

DaveKDEN
March 11th, 2013, 10:36
An absolutely stunning model! Many many thanks Dino! :applause:

big-mike
March 11th, 2013, 10:40
An absolutely stunning model! Many many thanks Dino! :applause:

+1:jump:
Michael

FSX68
March 11th, 2013, 11:03
Well, the link that Dino provides it either clogged up or unavail for some reason. I will retry later hopefully, there won't be any issues. Looking
forward to the newest F14 rendition.

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.
Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

TuFun
March 11th, 2013, 11:17
Thanks Dino! Awesome aircraft!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Li5lKJBgY4

Navy Chief
March 11th, 2013, 12:15
I should have downloaded it when first seeing Dino's post. Too many folks downloading from Google, I can't get it!!:banghead:

NC

dougal
March 11th, 2013, 12:45
I should have downloaded it when first seeing Dino's post. Too many folks downloading from Google, I can't get it!!:banghead:

NC

You're not alone. I've been trying since release and still cant get it:-(

peter12213
March 11th, 2013, 12:58
Many thanks Dino, a true labour of love, and a pleasure to fly. :medals:

Dino Cattaneo
March 11th, 2013, 13:17
I am uploading at avism and flightsim as I write - sorry for the bandwidth restrictions but I wanted to make sure it worked before sharing it with a wider audience!

Meshman
March 11th, 2013, 13:22
I am uploading at avism and flightsim as I write - sorry for the bandwidth restrictions but I wanted to make sure it worked before sharing it with a wider audience!

If you would like a mirror until the file hits the main forums, I can upload to my site and give a link for a day or two.

Kind of my way of say, Thanks! :salute:

Dino Cattaneo
March 11th, 2013, 13:32
Thanks, but the file will be soon up at avsim (they are quite quick to put it online - usually takes less than 24 hours)... by the way, FTP to flightsim failed...I am having several issues uploading at flightsim lately, so for the moment the file will be only available at avsim.

Montie
March 11th, 2013, 14:47
Thanks Dino, I got a day off tomorrow and guess what I will be doing:salute:

It is now ready at Avsim: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=f14dfsxav200.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

letourn
March 11th, 2013, 15:57
Thanks for another great release!

Eoraptor1
March 11th, 2013, 16:21
Got it!!! Got the JSF too. Thank you, Dino, for this wonderful wonderful day. My desktop has trouble downloading from your site via Google, but my laptop has no problem. Strange.

JAMES

Hanimichal
March 11th, 2013, 17:12
Many thank Dino for amazing airplane
And I thank everyone who appreciate my paintings

piperarcherpilot
March 11th, 2013, 17:26
This baby brought me out of the woodwork!

Love it Dino (and all those who were involved)! You did this beautiful aircraft justice, as usual. AMAZING! :salute: I can smell the jet exaust once again. A little bit of photoshop enhancement here and there:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-17-4-822.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-18-55-933.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-18-15-312.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-18-44-513.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-18-29-442.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-23-27-707.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-24-47-757.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-22-13-717.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-32-55-276.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-27-27-507.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/F-14%20Dino/2013-3-11_18-32-37-766.jpg

jojohnson9
March 11th, 2013, 17:44
Of course, this Tomcat is my favorite. One thing, I like AutoSweep for the wings. I have clicked the switch on the throttle and cannot get autosweep to work. Manual is fine.

rcbarend
March 11th, 2013, 18:27
Of course, this Tomcat is my favorite. One thing, I like AutoSweep for the wings. I have clicked the switch on the throttle and cannot get autosweep to work. Manual is fine.
????
If you like AutoSweep, do NOT click the switch on the throttle.
After loading the aircraft, Autosweep is ON by default. Clicking the switch on the throttle sets it to Manual, v.v.

Note: if Autosweep doesn't seem to work, and you haven't clicked the VC Throttle switch after loading, make sure you have raised the Flaps (Default: F5). When flaps are not fully up, Autosweep doesn't work.
See README in the package.

Rob

Sindhu
March 11th, 2013, 20:23
Many thank Dino for amazing airplane
And I thank everyone who appreciate my paintings

Great repaints of your, sir. Thanks you very much :wiggle: if you're going to have any more repaints in the future, would you paint these for us all, sir?...

Best regards from Thailand

skyhawka4m
March 11th, 2013, 22:03
VF-103 never had D models...so a repaint would be a WHAT IF type.

cortomalteseit
March 11th, 2013, 23:16
Grazie mille, Dino!
It's a fantastic aircraft, you've made another unbeliavable job!
Ciao!

P.s.: @piperarcherpilot, I'm breathless, great shots!

:salute:

Dimus
March 12th, 2013, 00:34
We flew this baby in multiplayer last evening with 4 friends and it performed flawlessly. The radar also worked and we could detect each other. Excellent work Dino! A very generous offer of an obvious labour of love.

DaveQ
March 12th, 2013, 01:58
This is a great piece of freeware; many many thanks Dino! I'm relatively new to your F-14's; I take it there are no weapons load-outs, is that correct? And is there a layered paint kit that can be had anywhere?

Thanks once again, really enjoying flying the Tomcat!!:applause::icon29:

DaveQ

DagR
March 12th, 2013, 02:11
A very nice addon! Great modelling, great paints and great programming. I enjoy it a lot ;-)

Best
DagR

airattackimages
March 12th, 2013, 06:52
I second the request for a VF-11 last cruise Red Ripper. High vis and line would be great!

jojohnson9
March 12th, 2013, 09:49
????
If you like AutoSweep, do NOT click the switch on the throttle.
After loading the aircraft, Autosweep is ON by default. Clicking the switch on the throttle sets it to Manual, v.v.

Note: if Autosweep doesn't seem to work, and you haven't clicked the VC Throttle switch after loading, make sure you have raised the Flaps (Default: F5). When flaps are not fully up, Autosweep doesn't work.
See README in the package.

Rob

I was operating IAW the manual, no go. So I reloaded the plane and now works fine. Thanks for advice.

Dino Cattaneo
March 13th, 2013, 01:11
On behalf of Jiri Soukup (who did the VF-2 and VF-31 repaints) - and the rest of the team - I would like to thank you all for your appreciation.

Jiri, who can not register at SOH at the moment, would like to thank you for your appreciation and especially piperarchepilot for the great screenshots (a personal note - F-14B and D do not use afterburners on take off and cat launches)... by the way he will be doing a Jolly Rogers repaint (fictional - although I suggested to paint 1064604 which was painted in VF-103 colors after its retirement...

airattackimages
March 13th, 2013, 05:40
Yes thank you to all who painted, these textures are awesome. I especially love Gunfighter 160. Speaking of which, a second VF-101 ship would be great... How about 163 or 164?

http://www.moxing.net/uploadfile/2010/0706/f14/23_615393.jpg

Add that to my request for a late VF-11 Red Rippers paint. CAG and line would be nice :)

Navy Chief
March 13th, 2013, 07:04
although I suggested to paint 1064604 which was painted in VF-103 colors after its retirement...

Out of pure curiousity, is that BUNO 1064604 correct? I tried to find references to it, but could not find. Thanks! NC

Dino Cattaneo
March 13th, 2013, 08:06
Typo, sorry... there is a 0 in excess: 164604

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Grumman-F-14D-Tomcat/1258961/L/&sid=49901d3008990da63e5f585facac9775

Of course it was painted in this livery only after the retirement, and seems that this specific bird has been repainted in several other liveries (Puking Dogs, Fighting Checkmates and Tomcatters)...

Victory103
March 13th, 2013, 08:34
Spent most of it's time prior to pulling gate guard as Vandy 1, the VX-9 all black jet, next to VF-84/103, one of the coolest schemes for any Tomcat!

Navy Chief
March 13th, 2013, 16:34
I installed Dino's Tomcat into P3D. Beautiful!!!

NC

airattackimages
March 13th, 2013, 16:59
Just for kicks, I flew and recorded this little ACM training dogfight between an NSAWC Viper (Aerosoft) and VF-2 F-14 (Dino's Cat)

There was no sound, so I did add music. Hopefully it works in all countries.

http://youtu.be/sY7THl-69ac

Watch in 1080 and full screen.

TuFun
March 13th, 2013, 16:59
On behalf of Jiri Soukup (who did the VF-2 and VF-31 repaints) - and the rest of the team - I would like to thank you all for your appreciation.

Jiri, who can not register at SOH at the moment, would like to thank you for your appreciation and especially piperarchepilot for the great screenshots (a personal note - F-14B and D do not use afterburners on take off and cat launches)... by the way he will be doing a Jolly Rogers repaint (fictional - although I suggested to paint 1064604 which was painted in VF-103 colors after its retirement...

Thanks for that info... cool video of Tomcats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y45rzmDaABI

PRB
March 13th, 2013, 17:13
The F-14 is a classic. I'll never forget what it felt like to stand next to one of those babies when she went to to full power (stage 5) on the cat. It was so loud it rattled your brain inside your skull and made me want to cringe and hug my chest. On Enterprise in the early 1980s, you could stand by the island when an F-14A went to "stage 5" on CAT 1. The heat was intense, from all the way back to the island. That's frikken awesome, anyway you slice it.

Thanks Dino. And nice video, 2-Fun! :)

piperarcherpilot
March 14th, 2013, 19:26
Dino/Rob,

I'm just thinking here....maybe this will work, maybe not.

Since the slow speed characteristics are good, and you probably dont want to mess with them, how about this idea to simulate slow speed depature from controlled flight.

A gauge that watches AOA and airspeed. If the airspeed drops below say, 115 kts, AND the angle of attack is over the critical angle of attack, the gauge will roll the plane 45 degrees or so and pitch it down to a pre determined angle (-10 degrees?) ?

Would that work? The reason the airspeed has to factor in, is that the F-14 was somewhat stable in higher speed accelerated stalls (over Critical AOA). But...haha...not so at low speed.

Just an idea! It would help teach fresh new Naval Aviators to respect this big Cat!

PS. I think the wings begin to sweep back too soon...shouldnt it be in the .50-.55 mach range? 380-400kts? I remember watching Tomcats acclerate all the way down the runway after takeoff, in full A/B, and start a climb with the wings full forward, so it had to be over 300 kts at least. I know what the NATOPS seems to suggest for speeds...but it just seems really odd to me.

Hanimichal
March 15th, 2013, 04:59
Passing Kuznetsov

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/03/15/vAY0w.jpg

rcbarend
March 15th, 2013, 08:00
Dino/Rob,

I'm just thinking here....maybe this will work, maybe not.

Since the slow speed characteristics are good, and you probably dont want to mess with them, how about this idea to simulate slow speed depature from controlled flight.

A gauge that watches AOA and airspeed. If the airspeed drops below say, 115 kts, AND the angle of attack is over the critical angle of attack, the gauge will roll the plane 45 degrees or so and pitch it down to a pre determined angle (-10 degrees?) ?

Would that work? The reason the airspeed has to factor in, is that the F-14 was somewhat stable in higher speed accelerated stalls (over Critical AOA). But...haha...not so at low speed.

Just an idea! It would help teach fresh new Naval Aviators to respect this big Cat!

PS. I think the wings begin to sweep back too soon...shouldnt it be in the .50-.55 mach range? 380-400kts? I remember watching Tomcats acclerate all the way down the runway after takeoff, in full A/B, and start a climb with the wings full forward, so it had to be over 300 kts at least. I know what the NATOPS seems to suggest for speeds...but it just seems really odd to me.
Well, this is not a VTOL development, which would make you first question possible; but I think an on/off control for such a function would be too abrupt ...

As to wingsweep: it start now at .40 Mach (== 275 Knots IAS at sea level).
If someone has better numbers (Mach-nr. when wingsweep starts, and Machnr. at which wings are fully swept back), I'll gladly implement them (5 min work).
But they have to be "spec" numbers ...... :)

Let's see if Dino has any comment..

Best, Rob

Dino Cattaneo
March 15th, 2013, 08:24
Well,

as for the stall behaviour, I'll be very careful to change anything at the moment as I am quite happy in the "controlled flight" envelope. Rather than an external agent, I would rely on .air file changes - maybe some FDE guru can do the trick which is above my skill.

As far as I can tell, the wing sweep logic is quite accurate... then, again, although I have been working on F-14 simulation for years, I have not even seen one for real - and I am relying on the official NATOPs figures.
The figure 2-19 of my F-14 manual (in the docs folder, page 47) comes straight from the real flight manual - but I have not gone through the amendments and changes section and I am not sure there are corrections to that.

Rob, the only thing I have not checked is if the current wingsweep control curve (sweep vs. Mach) is just linear or has multiple slopes like the real one, but this should not make a big difference...

rcbarend
March 15th, 2013, 09:17
Well,

as for the stall behaviour, I'll be very careful to change anything at the moment as I am quite happy in the "controlled flight" envelope. Rather than an external agent, I would rely on .air file changes - maybe some FDE guru can do the trick which is above my skill.

As far as I can tell, the wing sweep logic is quite accurate... then, again, although I have been working on F-14 simulation for years, I have not even seen one for real - and I am relying on the official NATOPs figures.
The figure 2-19 of my F-14 manual (in the docs folder, page 47) comes straight from the real flight manual - but I have not gone through the amendments and changes section and I am not sure there are corrections to that.

Rob, the only thing I have not checked is if the current wingsweep control curve (sweep vs. Mach) is just linear or has multiple slopes like the real one, but this should not make a big difference...

Hi Dino,

At present it's just lineair.
- Position.6 : less then Mach 0.40
- Position.5 : above Mach 0.40
- Position.4 : above Mach 0.48
- Position.3 : above Mach 0.56
- Position.2 : above Mach 0.64
- Position.1 : above Mach 0.72
- Position.0 : above Mach 0.80

If it should be non-lineair, these number are easily changed :)

Best, Rob

airattackimages
March 15th, 2013, 11:04
I think the wing sweep is good. Also I would agree with Dino, the flight model is great right now, Id hate to lose that in favor of a dramatic stall sequence, myself.

cortomalteseit
March 15th, 2013, 11:33
one of the last (and best) video of the Tomcat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGGfZMHEK8A

evvatc
March 15th, 2013, 12:54
I believe the wing sweep schedule is a little off also. The Mach-sweep programmer should move the wings from 20° to 25° as speed builds to M0.7, 50° at M0.8 and then pivots them all the way 68° as Mach number increases to M0.9. As the angle goes through 62° the spoilers are cut out and roll control is effected solely by the tailerons. Overall I think Dino and everyone involved has done a great job and I want thank you all for your time and effort.

skyhawka4m
March 15th, 2013, 13:16
this is a freeware plane right? I for one want to say thank you to dino for all your work on this jet. I know in one of your posts you made it clear that there would be some issues with this jet, and frankly....being a fair weather flyer.....I haven't noticed one yet. :applause: The quality you have "given" us here has surpassed even that of payware that was the only offering till now. I'm sure as time goes by you will continue to upgrade as you do with the T-45 and all will be good in the world. But please!!!! Don't ruin a good thing by trying to make it too difficult to fly.

Ian Warren
March 15th, 2013, 13:36
one of the last (and best) video of the Tomcat:

:cool:Now have post this over at NZFF .. COOL Video :applause:Very appropriate
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

piperarcherpilot
March 15th, 2013, 13:58

Evvact is exactly right for the "over 20,000 ft" side. Check out the NATOPS chart here - I've added some grid lines for clarity. We'll assume we're talking about the 14,000 feet and below side. I think the problem is that the sweep isnt linear, as Dino and Rob discussed above.

So, realizing we only have 7 "flap" stations work wingsweep with...

Altering the Mach, assuming 6 equal steps between 20 and 68 deg:

- Position.6 (20 deg): less than Mach 0.55
- Position.5 (28 deg): above Mach 0.55
- Position.4 (36 deg): above Mach 0.70
- Position.3 (44 deg): above Mach 0.77
- Position.2 (52 deg): above Mach 0.82
- Position.1 (60 deg): above Mach 0.90
- Position.0 (68 deg): above Mach 0.95

Altering the Sweep (most accurate, not sure if this is possible):

- Position.6 (20 deg): less then Mach 0.45
- Position.5 (24 deg): above Mach 0.45
- Position.4 (27 deg): above Mach 0.60
- Position.3 (35 deg): above Mach 0.70
- Position.2 (47 deg): above Mach 0.80
- Position.1 (60 deg): above Mach 0.90
- Position.0 (68 deg): above Mach 0.95

Wingmate
March 15th, 2013, 17:50
Keeping in line with the discussion about wing sweep, is there any way I can map the switch for toggling between auto and manual wing sweep?

On another topic the landing light does not light the ground.

And in yet another different area, I'm slowly getting some paints done
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww38/Wingmate12/fsx2013-03-1519-48-38-05_zps254eb07b.jpg

airattackimages
March 16th, 2013, 14:28
Can't wait for that paint!

flewpastu
March 16th, 2013, 17:59
Anybody up for trying the sundowners paint that was done for dinos 2004 tomcat, I've tried but the paint files are too difficult. That would be a nice one .

Bill

airattackimages
March 16th, 2013, 20:28
Yes! Definitely Miss Molly. And the line bird too :)

airattackimages
March 18th, 2013, 17:08
VF-2 Tomcats climbing out from NAS Fallon on an NSAWC training hop.

MDIvey
March 19th, 2013, 10:23
Thanks for this great model Dino. Only just got round to trying it out.

Matt

airattackimages
March 20th, 2013, 08:05
WIP... Adding two more modex numbers to VF-2

skyhawka4m
March 20th, 2013, 09:56
Is there anyway to get rid of the glass reflection of the pilots and interior of the plane which can be seen from the outside esecially when canopy is open?

airattackimages
March 20th, 2013, 12:22
If that's directed at me Skyhawk I'm not sure. I'm a newbie painter. :)

Did some more work, changing pilot and enlisted crew names for each jet. Here is NE107 for an example. Not actual accurate VF-2 names, this pilot is a former VF-31 and Blue Angel pilot.

Also changed the mission markings up, since each aircraft had different mission markings, obviously.

Victory103
March 20th, 2013, 13:39
Gents keep up the good work, this Tomcat fan is super happy, just wish I had more time to fly everyone's recent repaints. Need to see the pilot's texture, but anyway to customize the helmets?

mustangman13134
March 20th, 2013, 15:25
VF-2 Tomcats climbing out from NAS Fallon on an NSAWC training hop.

Would those birds be AI? Link to traffic file?

airattackimages
March 20th, 2013, 17:31
Actually those were 4 different FSRecorder recordings.

airattackimages
March 20th, 2013, 17:32
Gents keep up the good work, this Tomcat fan is super happy, just wish I had more time to fly everyone's recent repaints. Need to see the pilot's texture, but anyway to customize the helmets?

Cool idea! I'd love to give that a try.

airattackimages
March 21st, 2013, 03:10
A busy night populating VF-2... I think I'm done with these guys... LOL

Navy Chief
March 21st, 2013, 03:19

Interesting method of parking aircraft:). Would be a challenge to launch them! NC

kdfw
March 23rd, 2013, 20:12
10/10 Meows for the big cat!!!

jeansy
March 23rd, 2013, 22:04
ive had my first chance to look at dinos bird, wow, he has surely put a few payware developers to shame

http://aussiex.org/forum/uploads/gallery/album_139/gallery_11700_139_80760.png

hschuit
March 24th, 2013, 01:42
Is there anyway to get rid of the glass reflection of the pilots and interior of the plane which can be seen from the outside esecially when canopy is open?

Try this modified Glass_canopy_reflection.dds texture:

Scratch
March 24th, 2013, 11:03

Nice job! Tomcats come with a reverse gear?:icon_lol:

DaveKDEN
March 24th, 2013, 14:25
Try this modified Glass_canopy_reflection.dds texture:

Thanks! Any chance you could work one up for Dino's T-45?

hschuit
March 25th, 2013, 00:11
Thanks! Any chance you could work one up for Dino's T-45?

You can use a renamed copy of the modded texture for the F-14D I attached to this thread yesterday:

1. Make a copy of the modded Glass_canopy_reflection.dds
2. Rename that copy to t45_glass_t.dds
3. Backup your original t45_glass_t.dds and replace it with the modded version.

DaveKDEN
March 25th, 2013, 06:12
You can use a renamed copy of the modded texture for the F-14D I attached to this thread yesterday:

1. Make a copy of the modded Glass_canopy_reflection.dds
2. Rename that copy to t45_glass_t.dds
3. Backup your original t45_glass_t.dds and replace it with the modded version.

Thanks - I'll try that. Does it make any difference that the two files are different sizes? The F-14 uses a 512x256 pixel file and the T-45 uses a 1024x1024 file.

airattackimages
March 25th, 2013, 06:33
Nice job! Tomcats come with a reverse gear?:icon_lol:
Yep ;)

Dino Cattaneo
March 28th, 2013, 03:23
83703 83704
A couple of repaints from Jiri - available at the usual sites. A little bit of fiction, here, as both were from F-14Bs.

airattackimages
March 28th, 2013, 05:39
More nice work Jiri! Thanks for Ripper 200 :applause:

Daube
March 28th, 2013, 05:47
Just sharing a few shots of my latest flight with this Tomcat. Just a small test flight above one of the freeware BlueSkyScenery packages (around Page).

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2051.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2052.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2053.jpg

I love that VC, although I can feel a small FPS hit, but it's still ok.

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2054.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2055.jpg

Enjoy.

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2056.jpg

fxsttcb
March 31st, 2013, 05:37
Finally! Done, and in the libraries, here, and flightsim.
Enjoy! ...Don

PZL Belfegor
April 14th, 2013, 11:46
Thank you for this release, Dino! I only had the chance to install it today - let's just say I'm very happy to see the implementation of DLC :)

Navy Chief
April 14th, 2013, 12:01
Thank you for this release, Dino! I only had the chance to install it today - let's just say I'm very happy to see the implementation of DLC :)

Er, I know I am out of the loop these days, but what is "DLC"? NC

PZL Belfegor
April 14th, 2013, 12:30
It's acronym to direct lift control - the F-14 could use it's inboard spoilers to change lift during approach without changing the angle of attack or engine power. DLC in action can be seen here: http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=29956