PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of causing embarrassment...

Roger
February 27th, 2013, 14:20
...to Uncle Milton, He is one of the choices in the Avsim lifetime awards survey. I've voted for him:salute:. Scroll down to the last section..

http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=aaf64487-f52d-4d89-bd22-335ad20db3b2

Jagdflieger
February 27th, 2013, 14:25
I tried to vote for him, but it won't accept your ballet unless you check off each category. I don't have a clue what some of those entries are, so I'll have to abstain.

I sure hope Milt receives the honor for Lifetime Achievement as well as the best Freeware airplane category.

Roger
February 27th, 2013, 14:30
There were a couple I didn't know so I Googled them and made my choices. It really doesn't matter whether Milton tops their poll...we know he's one of the very best:engel016:

Sundog
February 27th, 2013, 15:50
There were a couple I didn't know so I Googled them and made my choices. It really doesn't matter whether Milton tops their poll...we know he's one of the very best:engel016:

Very true!

Duckie
February 27th, 2013, 16:03

check, Check and CHECK! :icon_lol:

Willy
February 27th, 2013, 16:24
Heck, it all looked like FSX stuff that I never heard of, so I guessed except where Milton's name was.

Sunny9850
February 27th, 2013, 17:15
I almost had a voter crisis when I saw that Sir Milton was up against Manfred in the freeware category and thought that was the only option.
But I ended up giving the individual aircraft nod to Manfred for the truly magnificent BT and of course the LAA to Milton.

The rest of the selection was really not much for me, but I did the same thing as Roger and simply Googled them.

Cheers
Stefan

magoo
February 27th, 2013, 17:35
Well....that was easy.

:jump:

Cees Donker
February 27th, 2013, 22:08
Done!

lemonadedrinker
February 28th, 2013, 00:22
Hi,

Milton and the Team :medals: :medals::applause::applause:.

Andy.

aeronca1
February 28th, 2013, 04:53
Really poor implementation to a poll. As others above, I just picked something I knew nothing about in some categories. So, other than the categories I know, the other votes skew the answers, so of what use is it........

Maarten -
February 28th, 2013, 04:59
Milton twice. :salute::salute:

Mick
February 28th, 2013, 05:51
Alas, the requirement to vote in every category means that almost everyone had to cast a vote for something they never even heard of in some, and probably most categories. That means that the vast majority of votes must be random selections, and all the results completely meaningless. Whoever designed this ballot, with such an obvious flaw, should get an award for stupidity. (sigh)

Blackbird686
February 28th, 2013, 09:00
Milton twice. :salute::salute:

Same here...

BB686:USA-flag:

TuFun
February 28th, 2013, 09:20
Some tough choices to make in a few of those questions... I know what I fly... Milton got my vote!

srgalahad
February 28th, 2013, 10:20
yes, a poorly designed voting system. The Lifetime Achievement Award, at least, should have been a separate vote. As we can see, most of the other choices were primarily FSX, while the LAW requires that you at least know of things/people that have been around for more than 12 months (to many in FSX, a flightsim 'lifetime' is probably not much more than 2-3 years as they never had FS9).

On the other hand it points out that a large number of flight sim enthusiasts never look outside their small area of interest; much like buying a newspaper and only reading the sports section, it limits the amount of knowledge we take in about the world and people around us. It's a trend I see more and more in the "real world" as well as FlightSim where people are going beyond the idea of a comfort-zone and burrowing away in small, dark caves. I guess I'm different in that I was brought up to be constantly aware of the world around me on the premise that "you never know when it might become important".

Dang, that LAW was a challenge... Arno, Opa, Milton... good thing there are no three-sided coins :icon_lol:

alastairmonk
March 1st, 2013, 00:17
Hi,

Like some others I abstained because I choose not to cast random votes for products I know little about.

I would challenge SG's assertion that this means that I've been burying my head in a cave somewhere. I don't run FSX, so its little surprise that I don't pay too much attention to FSX-only products. I don't see this as narrow minded - just inevitable. Sure I've heard of many if not all the candidates, but I don't know enough to be able to cast a vote. Maybe "integrity" is the old-fashioned concept here ?

I assume here that the LAW SG refers to is actually the LAA ? If so, Milton would certainly get my vote (big surprise, right ?)

Alastair

Mick
March 1st, 2013, 05:04
...On the other hand it points out that a large number of flight sim enthusiasts never look outside their small area of interest...

You say that as if it was a bad thing. But you fail to explain why anyone would, or should, pay the slightest bit of attention to aspects of a hobby that they aren't involved in. Your analogy to the news is so faulty as to be beyond comprehension! Do you really mean to imply that keeping up with personally irrelevant aspects of a hobby is comparable to keeping up with the events happening in the real world?

You sound like a man who has far too much time on his hands! That's a pity. If you practice what you preach about keeping up with the news you should realize that there's a lot more going on on the world that's worthy of your attention than Flight Simulator! And there's a lot more to do than sit at a desk looking into a computer monitor, no matter how pretty the virtual airplanes are.

You say you were brought up to be aware of the world around you, yet you have time to pay attention to aspects of a hobby that don't concern you. Consider this: when your folks brought you up to pay attention to the world around you, they probably meant the REAL world, not the virtual world of Flight Simulator!

pfflyers
March 1st, 2013, 07:34
I didn't know what most of the options were, so I couldn't really vote, although I wish I could have given Milton one. I don't run FSX so I guess I'm a cave-dweller.

Milton Shupe
March 1st, 2013, 14:43
Hey guys, don't go out of your way for me on this. Just being mentioned is honor enough and I am sure that all the others listed would feel the same. :-)

Hope to be back in action in a couple weeks here after a break in the action to take care of RW business.

Thanks

Blackbird686
March 1st, 2013, 15:31
Hey guys, don't go out of your way for me on this. Just being mentioned is honor enough and I am sure that all the others listed would feel the same. :-)

Hope to be back in action in a couple weeks here after a break in the action to take care of RW business.

Thanks

Milton... you're just too modest. I see no reason to not go outta my way, your work and contributions to the FS Community speaks volumes. An honorable mention would be the very least I could do.

Take care of what's important, mate... we'll be waitin' for you when you're ready to return. :salute:

Cheers -- BB686:USA-flag:

expat
March 8th, 2013, 07:07
Like others found, I could not vote and submit the answers if I could not answer one or more of the categories where I had no idea about any of the products in that category. It is bad for all concerned to just guess in those circumstances and it is an oversight - and a fairly obvious one at least to those of us who don't have (or have been given) every software add-on known to man - not to have provided a "none of the above" or "don't know" answer for each category. As you could not submit your votes with any category unanswered I was forced to cancel the poll as a result. Hope this is improved next time.