PDA

View Full Version : ...THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES...

beana51
February 21st, 2013, 09:12
I would guess most here were not born yet..remarkable were no "BLEEPS" in the entire presentation..but for those who have forgotten?...Re live Yer Younger Days Watching TV....Me ? I remember when there was no such thing as a T.V... http://images.proboards.com/grin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=JEfotdZCguk&pop_ads=null

Ickie
February 21st, 2013, 09:27
I remember the big Zenith radio and in about 1957 my dad won a raffle at the eagles club a color TV, Philco as I recall. We could get 3 channels but they had a limit time when they would broadcast and at 10 pm all you got was a test signal except on sat night. About 1 show a month was in color, lol, and we all watched it as a family.

Daveroo
February 21st, 2013, 12:45
my sister and her new husband come over every wedensday evening,and we all talk about so odd things....last night.the story of my parent first color tv as a couple came up,seems it was the first tv for either of them..was the early 60s...my dad and grandfather were doing installations for the local sears store at the time,they were plumbers,did only custom homes..but the main bread n butter work was allways service work..and in winter..sears alone kept them in business with water heater replacements alone,but at that time here,several homes still didnt have indoor plumbing..so the people would go to sears,buy the Water closet,tub,basin,then have the sears installation crew do the work....well that was my grandpa and dad......

well all that leads to this.....the sears store got two color tvs instock,my dad was also a community minded guy..20-30 club,rotary.elks,volunteer fire department,auburn jeep club,motorised search and rescue division(jeeps),so he and the sears manager were also friends ooutside of thier professioonal lives...dad said...man id like to try one of those new ttvs..see what the wife n kids think....

so the manager showed up that night..without dads knowlage,dad was bowling..with this brand new color tv and told my mom to tell dave to try it for two weeks and see what he thinks of it......that tv was still in a shed in the backyard at this house in 2011...when a piece of lead (an old ingot from the old days,about 50 pounds) fell from a shelf and went through the top...

luckydog
February 21st, 2013, 12:59
I remember most of those........every time Annette Funicello appeared on the Mickey Mouse Club
my tail would wag uncontrollably.......
:applause::applause::applause:

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2013, 13:23
I remember most of those........every time Annette Funicello appeared on the Mickey Mouse Club
my tail would wag uncontrollably.......
:applause::applause::applause:

Oh yes, I too, had a crush on Annette. Also Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched). She was FINE!!!

NC

Ickie
February 21st, 2013, 13:24
I remember Mitch Miller and the bouncing ball, and Crazy Googanhand :icon_eek:

Ickie
February 21st, 2013, 13:28
I had a radio which required no batteries, it looked like a rocket and the tunner was a small pole which came out of the top, It has a wire which came out of it and an alligator clip on it which needed to be clipped on any ground, like a water pipe and at night I could get WLS, It had an ear plug to hear the sounds, I use to listen to baseball games on it too.

Terry
February 21st, 2013, 13:32
We got our first TV when I was about 5. I think the first show I got hooked on was Captain Video. Fun stuff. :mixedsmi:

FlameOut
February 21st, 2013, 13:46
This is a great post! I remember about 90+ % of these shows, I'm gonna forward this link to my brother.

There were prolly about 5-6 that I did not remember... meaning they were not in our viewing market right here in the Heart o' Dixie ....:applause:

beana51
February 21st, 2013, 14:27
Ours was a 1947 Motorola..Screen about the size of a slice of whit bread.next step was to install a roof top antenna.This with Flat Wire and dozens of standoffs...Then it began..Adjusting the new aluminum bird rooster on the house.With out Cell phones,it was a shouting thing..'MOVE IT TO THE RIGHT,MOVE IT TO THE LEFT.DID YA HEAR ME?#%&%@*!..and this was going on daily thru out the neighborhood.With ..much Gnashing Of Teeth and Pulling of hair.Then it happened.A Grainy Flickering ,Tearing Picture...SUCCESS we shouted.. And on Zero Vis Days it got better!Soon we attached a Screen Magnifier,then an insane Colored Plastc screen cover..The the other Rip Off come along..Ya Have To Have a Booster New experts said,looking fer you $$bucks..this to amplify the signel..It Did Squat..By Then We were so POOR WE DREAMT IN BLACK AND WHITE!.color was unimaginable..much less a definable image!

And for what? to watch wrestling? With Gorgeous George? Well ,all the Grannie's loved George..Being almost deaf they turned up the volume..the whole town was with old ladies looking at George with ear shattering deciles!!..A Great Entertainer....but soon something come along,From the Burlesque Circuits,A real Slap Stick Nut Job called Milton Berle...He Sold More TVs than any other Thing.or any other body!....He was Great!..Of Course the best was yet to come ..in The Good Old BAD Days....How it was...Vin

CP1207
February 21st, 2013, 14:48
Ickie-
Was it this one?
I had completely forgotten about having one of those.
Apparently they came in different colors with different fin configurations but this one seems familiar to me.
I remember the TV repair guy coming over to replace tubes in the Philco-Ford. That damn B&W TV would not die. We did not get an RCA color TV until pretty much all my friend's families had long since moved to color.

Ickie
February 21st, 2013, 15:01
thats the one same color too

Naismith
February 21st, 2013, 16:30
No doubt about it, the quality of programming is inversely propotional to the amount of channels and airtime available to fill up. Right now we are watching Secret Army from 1977. Last month it was All Creatures Great and Small. Next month I've lined up Colditz. Notice they are all BBC! Though we did buy Little House at Xmas on DVD. Somewhere on this HD I have Homeland which I must get around to watching.
Canadian TV makes Australian progams look exciting and innovative. lol
Anyone who like Swing music of the 30's should look out for Dancing On The Edge when it crosses the Atlantic a 5 part serial.

Edit I hope that typed OK I have one og those temp things in the eysy which you cannot see past. plonk in the middle like a big black donut.

n4gix
February 22nd, 2013, 06:33
Our first color TV came to us in August of 1959, and dad bought it specifically so we could watch Bonanza in color, which NBC first broadcast on September 12, 1959... :cowboy:

We were the only family in our Oklahoma City neighborhood who had a color TV, so our living room suddenly became a very popular place to visit on "Bonanza" nights! :cool:

Lord I sure do miss all of those really good shows!

Ickie
February 22nd, 2013, 10:51
I found that rockett online for $165, lol they sure are proud of it, lol
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Miniman-Model-MG-304-crystal-rocket-radio-1950s/88893303

Ickie
February 22nd, 2013, 10:57
here is the one I had it is a 302

Roger
February 22nd, 2013, 11:24
I was given a crystal set by my grandad in the 60s and once you got the cat's whisker on a good part of the crystal (Galena) there were several radio stations I could listen to (with a 100' long wire aerial, lol!). Unfortunately it disappeared when I moved house.