PDA

View Full Version : Evergreen Aviation Museum

Jagdflieger
February 17th, 2013, 20:41
The wife and I drove down to McMinnville, Oregon to tour some brew pubs and to visit the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum there.

I can heartily recommend the museum as well as the brew pubs (McMenamins Hotel Oregon and the Golden Valley Brewery). Lots of outside displays and three large museum buildings. One houses the aviation museum, one houses a super large movie screen theater and the third has both space and aviation related displays. Oh yeah, Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose is prominently displayed. the last time I saw it, it was at Long Beach, California.

Here's a few shots of inside the Museum.

Willy
February 17th, 2013, 21:34
Great Pics! I guess it would be hard to take a pic there and not have the Spruce Goose in the background :icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
February 17th, 2013, 21:52
I'm lovin' the F-84! :jump:

WarHorse47
February 18th, 2013, 04:57
It's an annual trip for the wife and I.

We usually leave early to arrive when the museum opens, then head into McMinnville for lunch. After lunch we head to the Tillamook Museum, and usually stay a couple nights at Cannon Beach on the Oregon Coast.

Gdavis101
February 18th, 2013, 15:51
I have been out here on the coast for almost ten years and I still have yet to go there, really need to! The Tillamook one is pretty cool to, I like all the old buildings.

limjack
February 18th, 2013, 19:44
I have been out here on the coast for almost ten years and I still have yet to go there, really need to! The Tillamook one is pretty cool to, I like all the old buildings.

For shame Gdavis. Just a hop skip and a small jump to enjoy this treasure of a museum, lol. By the way I have enjoyed your nice little town a few time and really enjoy the Drift inn for dinner and good music.

Jim

limjack
February 18th, 2013, 19:48
[QUOTE=Willy;784753]Great Pics! I guess it would be hard to take a pic there and not have the Spruce Goose in the background :icon_lol:[/QUOTE

That gave me a giggle. The Goose is mammoth indeed!

jim

jrbirdman
February 18th, 2013, 21:32
Do they have that Evergreen 747 on top of one of the buildings there or where is it located?

Jagdflieger
February 19th, 2013, 07:42
Yes, it's on the roof. It's the centerpiece of the water park located on the west side of the complex.

Here's another 747 on a stick at the Speyre, Germany technical museum.

Link to Speyer: http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en

This is another one of those "great" places to spend a day.

Jagdflieger
February 19th, 2013, 07:53
A few more photos of the Evergreen Museum.

luckydog
February 19th, 2013, 08:26
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

limjack
February 19th, 2013, 08:49
Not a great shot but here is the 747 on top of the water park.

Wittpilot
February 19th, 2013, 21:55
I always thought it was kind of a shame they didn't keep the B-17 in the air. She was a flyer until they took her up North. I got to see it when it was still in AZ. I remember the collection was viewable, but you had to call ahead and get special permission... I remember we could climb through the B-17, and we were the only ones around. She is a beauty inside. Would be nice if they even just took her outside and started her up every couple of months....
-witt