PDA

View Full Version : Deltasim PTBoat flight model update 1.

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 06:05
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/magnify.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_resize.php?linkid=15398&shadowbox=1&size=0)
This updates and supersedes the previous mod. this update corrects the heavy nose down pitching effects seen at 35 knots, and corrects handling throughout the full speed range..
Unfortunately it mostly breaks prop reversal. The props are their normal 2.35 foot diameter so they arent producing quite the same amount of power per revolution as they did when they were 8 feet in diameter. They will slow and stop the boat fairly nicely, but i'm still working on reverse.
Be gentle with the rudder as you can now swamp the boat at any speed..
The update can be found on the bottom of the page located at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=4&sort=h&page=5&pp=20, or you can search on PTBOAT, PT or my name..
I hope you enjoy this one.. its a bit different, a bit more realistic.. A little less cowboy and a little more machine..
Pam

stovall
February 16th, 2013, 06:49
Thanks Pam, just downloaded and will give her a try. Thanks for the work on this beauty.

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 06:53
Thanks Tom.. Please do make sure to point out anything you see amiss.. Since Paul doesnt have this model, it was just me working on it. Now, when he and i work together we can do some mighty nice things, but, i dont hold such confidence in just my work alone. I dont know how it will run on someone elses machine, and i greatly appreciate the feedback..
pam

Bruce Thompson
February 16th, 2013, 08:23
Hi Pam,

Thanks for this latest update for the PT Boat, I will download it now and try it this evening.

Regards

Bruce.

huub vink
February 16th, 2013, 09:07
Thanks Pam,

In general I think the speed is much better. Stabilty is improved, but I have the feeling this makes turning at medium and high even more difficult.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/20130215_2053PT_zpsa401f1f7.jpg

Cheers,
Huub

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 09:13
you should just be able to be a little more gentle on the rudder.. its quite responsive now.. if your using the flaps make sure to raise them before turning as they not only increase the lift but add stability as well making turning at high speed a bit more difficult..

stovall
February 16th, 2013, 09:28
Pam, I agree with Huub, the turning ability as decreased. I will do some more testing. My current project is trying to create some MESH for Anatahan Island and Sarigan Island both north of Saipan. Back to the PT Boat.

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 09:32
ok..
i'll make an adjustment which should help a lot.. I think i already know what it is.. gotta run to a board meeting but i'll be back in a couple hours and will get that too you.. :)
Pam

stovall
February 16th, 2013, 10:00
Pam, after retesting, just a slight adjustment on the turning would be necessary from my side. The other performance characteristics are fine. Thanks

Bruce Thompson
February 16th, 2013, 10:39
The latest update is fine apart from the turning as stated by hub vink and Stovall.
Speed is very good compared to the standard and the ride height is spot on now.
Thanks for doing all this Pam, I love this boat and never thought we would ever see one in FSX,
with all this new WW2 scenery it has been a hell of a start to 2013.

Bruce.

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 13:49
ok, i think i have the turn rate fixed.. I recommend not doing emergency on a dime turns at high speed at the momentum builds up fast and the boat will rotate 360 degrees. Low speed turn rate is approx 1 boat length.Please test it out and let me know what you think..
Thank you :)
pam

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63691108/deltasim_pt_boat.FDE%20Mod-update-2.zip

Bruce Thompson
February 16th, 2013, 14:05
ok, i think i have the turn rate fixed.. I recommend not doing emergency on a dime turns at high speed at the momentum builds up fast and the boat will rotate 360 degrees. Low speed turn rate is approx 1 boat length.Please test it out and let me know what you think..
Thank you :)
pam

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63691108/deltasim_pt_boat.FDE%20Mod-update-2.zip

Sorry Pam but that link doesn't work for me.

Bruce

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 14:15
i'd certinly hate to clog up the server.. and ive got no means to delete the old files off the soh s3erver.. Could you PM me your email and i'll send it right out too you???

stovall
February 16th, 2013, 14:16
Thanks Pam, works here. Bruce try the link again. Off to check her out.

huub vink
February 16th, 2013, 14:30
The link works for me as well. Thanks for the quick response!

Huub

stovall
February 16th, 2013, 14:33
Pam, I must be doing something wrong but I can't get the boat to move forward even at full throttle. Ideas?

Bruce Thompson
February 16th, 2013, 15:07
i'd certinly hate to clog up the server.. and ive got no means to delete the old files off the soh s3erver.. Could you PM me your email and i'll send it right out too you???

It's o.k. Pam it worked when I tried it a bit later, Many thanks.

Bruce.

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 15:14
wellll, i dont think your doing anything wrong.. i think its that each propeller os only 2.35 feet in diameter and in fsx water isnt any different than air unless you hit it, so it takes a lot of power to get 70000 pounds moving with those tiny lil props.. I dont know what the specific density is for water, so it would be hard for me to make an exact scale up for the props.. but i'll do my best real quick.. You see, i think what the problem was earlier with the turn ratio was the altitude of the cg. I had placed it at deck level to account for all the steel on the deck. But to fix the turn radius, i dropped it.. With a high cg, the boat comes out of the water sooner and reduces the drag on the hull, but it also makes it unstable. With it lower, it rides flatter ( numerically ) but is more stable..
I'll have to experiment a little to see what i can do..

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 15:53
here you go tom.. give this a try.. it should start moving at 66% throttle after three seconds.. but watch your top speed.. its gonna be quite fast..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63691108/deltasim_pt_boat.FDE%20Mod-update-3.zip

stovall
February 16th, 2013, 15:54
Thanks Pam, I await your expertise.

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 15:55
It's o.k. Pam it worked when I tried it a bit later, Many thanks.

Bruce.

Your quite welcome.. :)..

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 15:58
Basically what we need is a whole new model. one where i can build the fde up from ground level. preferably a 72 footer mid war version with compressed air tubes no bofors and no rockets or deck gun. the deltasim model has embedded code in it that i cant defeat and working around it can be "challenging"..

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 16:01
Thanks Pam, I await your expertise.

:;chuckles:: i'm not certain i would call it expertise.. more like ummmm.. I drank what??? ::lol::

OH.. by tyhe way.. I gave it a keel.. it didnt have one :;lol:; doesnt donut quite so badly any more :)

huub vink
February 16th, 2013, 16:03
Version 2 (which didn't work for Tom) works fine for me. Steering has improved quite a lot, as long I do it gently.

Cheers,
Huub

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 16:08
Version 2 (which didn't work for Tom) works fine for me. Steering has improved quite a lot, as long I do it gently.

Cheers,
Huub

Thasnks Huub..
What i need to do is find the happy medium between version 2 and version 3.. Ive got an idea.. I can paste the Geometry section with the keel figured in here and you can paste it to your config file replacing the geometry section thats there now..

[airplane_geometry]
wing_area=244
wing_span=47
wing_root_chord=20
wing_dihedral=60
wing_incidence=8
wing_twist=0
oswald_efficiency_factor=0.17
wing_winglets_flag=1
wing_sweep=35
wing_pos_apex_lon=15.57
wing_pos_apex_vert=-6.35
htail_area=880
htail_span=30
htail_pos_lon= 27
htail_pos_vert= 0
htail_incidence=8
htail_sweep= 9
vtail_area= 40
vtail_span= 73
vtail_sweep= -15
vtail_pos_lon= 31
vtail_pos_vert= -4.45
elevator_area=20
aileron_area= 200
rudder_area= 175 //242
elevator_up_limit= 40
elevator_down_limit= 40
aileron_up_limit= 40.000
aileron_down_limit= 40.000
rudder_limit= 360.000
elevator_trim_limit= 22
spoiler_limit= 20.000
spoilerons_available=1
aileron_to_spoileron_gain=1.000000
min_ailerons_for_spoilerons=0.000000
min_flaps_for_spoilerons=0.000000
spoiler_handle_available=1
auto_spoiler_available=0
spoiler_extension_time=0.200000
positive_g_limit_flaps_up=4.000000
positive_g_limit_flaps_down=2.000000
negative_g_limit_flaps_up=-1.500000
negative_g_limit_flaps_down=-1.500000

I just noticed more things in there i dont like the looks of :;sigh:: please bear with me. I'll make it right yet.. I promise..
Pam

warchild
February 16th, 2013, 16:28
yeahhh, i'm going to keep working on this as i can. its far far far from right and will take time to build up. i promise i'll keep sending updates as i reach points worth uploading.. Just please bear with me..
Thanks
Pam

strikehawk
February 16th, 2013, 22:09
Pam, I got the update installed so I can keep up with the XO. Now I'm working on the guns through the CS Weapon software. Have to move the mounts in the vertical by 1.5 meters, if I can do it right making a head on run at the beach with guns blazing will be possible. Also have to see if I can get the port 50's to fire to the side. The SDK instructions are not that easy for an idiot like me to understand.:isadizzy: At least I got better sounds for the 20mm and Fifty cals.

warchild
February 17th, 2013, 02:07
Take your time with it :).. youll get it right.. I located a PBR ( mike boat )That ive started work on. Its a port over and not exactly a great port over ( i can only work on it for about ten minutes at a time before i turn bright red and get steam pouring out my ears ), but it has aim-able bow guns ( twin 50s ). you can use what you learn from the pt boat on that one too :).. That way we can do not only WWII reenactments, but viet reenactments. that way we can round out what we do mostly ( still cant do infantry ) and all we need is scenery for nam that shoots back like Mark and toms does.. It'd be interesting to put a random number generstor on the pbrs where once you enter an active area, your number keeps getting regenerted and if your numbers up, well, your numbers up..