PDA

View Full Version : Database Problem

Ravenna
January 7th, 2009, 01:02
After all this time I know the usual workarounds for the old "database failure" sign, but this time.....
My PTO install has suddenly stopped working in FF. Since it last worked I have only added one aircraft and added the second part of the AF New Guinea strips (Tadji etc). I have worked backwards, removing each addon, but still get the same message. I've tried removing the cfs2.cfg and checking the latest .dat entries and mdl names entries, but still got no joy. I tried removing all but the stock aircraft and removed all the ships, but that didn't work. I even tried removing the exe file and replacing it with one from another install, but still the darn thing wouldn't work
I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone think of a possible cause for this database failure which I haven't covered?:help:
Many thanks!

kdriver
January 7th, 2009, 03:47
Hi Mike,
Did you add the name of the new aircraft to the mdlnames.txt file? That file seems to have a size limit. If you did add it, it may be the straw that broke the camel's back.
Kevin

Rami
January 7th, 2009, 03:56
Ravenna,

That has happened to me adding some library objects. Keep a backup of your mdlnames.txt file, and check it with the new lines removed, and see if that helps.

Ravenna
January 7th, 2009, 04:32
Hmmm...food for thought. Thanks guys. Is there a size limit to mdlnames.txt when you run XP? In any case Kevin, I never add aircraft to mdlnames. Now I'm off to see if there was an entry there since I last flew over the New Guinea coast.
Just a thought: Is there a limit to the number of entries in airbases.dat?

Fibber
January 7th, 2009, 04:56
Just a thought here, but check the airbase.dat for duplicate entries.

Ravenna
January 7th, 2009, 05:00
OK, I deleted the mdlnames for Lindsay Watts' trees (at least the ones used by Pen32Win for the new Northern New Guinea airfields. I also deleted the new airbases.dat entries, but the CFS2 doorman still refused me entry!
Any other thoughts?

Fibber
January 7th, 2009, 06:04
What always works with doormen, give him a big tip!!!!!!!!!!!:ernae: J/K! Have you deleted the file.dat from the scenery folders? I know the feeling though, all is going good then we strive for more perfection and then..:faint:

Having same problem with my Korea install.

Dirtman
January 7th, 2009, 06:25
I have just installed GEDM's EXCELLENT Ki-61 campaign recently.

There were tons of planes, objects & scenery. At each step I opened the sim, checked & tested everything (as usual).

All was fine till I put MR's EXCELLENT new Solomons package in ..... then no FF & QC.

After one solid week of 70303 and doing everything you have; I found the trouble....

The Liberty_ship file was the cause of the problem. Funny (peculiar not ha-ha) as it had worked flawlessly in the past.

Replacing the ship cured the problem. (D/L an new copy)
- Still have no clue as to why ... I'm just happy to have solved the glitch.

I hope this might help you out Bro .... GOOD LUCK!!

kdriver
January 7th, 2009, 07:47
I think the mdlnames.txt file size limit is around 37 to 40kb. I have nearly 1400 airbase entries in my ETO, EF and MTO installations. There is also the limit on the number of AFD entries, but I'm not sure if you get an error message if you exceed the limit, or whether the airfield simply does not show in the location list.
CFS2 certainly gets the brain working at times. My latest glitch is the sim crashing when I add the BSK Malta and the Sander EurW landclass files. The other files in each of these packages are fine.

bearcat241
January 7th, 2009, 08:19
:gossip: (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=6712) .....http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=6712

Fibber
January 7th, 2009, 12:33
I just found mine also. :woot:It had to do with the F-80 shooting star and some of Eric Hinson downloaded planes. Think I screwed the pooch :faint: putting them in. Now to replicate and see exactly which one it was.:wave:

Ravenna
January 7th, 2009, 16:14
OK, thanks for the leads. I have been experimenting with this install and you are right Kevin.....the mdlnames.txt file does seem to hit a wall around 40 kb. Finally I get to fly Beauforts out of Tadji.
Thanks for all the help. I have filled ALL of the above away for future reference!
:ernae:
Mike