PDA

View Full Version : Due to recent events......

skyhawka4m
February 6th, 2013, 18:35
and having been contacted by admin I will no longer be a contributing member of this site. I will still donate and moniter in the shadows of the net.

:pop4:

strykerpsg
February 6th, 2013, 19:31
Don't stay gone long Skyhawk. Understandably everyone needs time to cool off. Though your post the other day seemed a bit provocative, I think everyone should be entitled to their occasional bad moment. I didn't find it horribly shocking, but a bit unpolished. You have always been a great contributor with your various skins and knowledge base. It would be unfortunate if you allowed a difference of opinions to chase you away from a hobby you obviously hold dear. Besides, with your new avatar, he doesn't look like he wears a thin skin and perhaps drives Mopar products...:icon_lol:

Bone
February 6th, 2013, 19:35
Take a break, man, everyone does! This is only the internet, after all. Not.A.Life. It's just supplemental.:icon29:

heywooood
February 6th, 2013, 19:41
Take a break, man, everyone does! This is only the internet, after all. Not.A.Life. It's just supplemental.:icon29:

I'll drink to that

"anyone who goes though their entire life without breaking at least one egg...has led a pathetic, boring life" - Oliver Clothesoff

StormILM
February 6th, 2013, 21:45
skyhawka4m, I can speak for myself and others I know who've come through these doors that your contributions have been meaningful in many ways over the years and I hate to see you go over whatever has been interpreted as a misstep. I've been a moderator on many forums/different types of forums over the years and have seen it all. I didn't get the feeling that the post in question was meant in offense but with such hot potato subjects, moderators understandably don't want things to get out of hand in a pissing match which drags things into the toilet and the forum with it. But there is a valid reason for some posts regarding hot button topics, ie: where customers, devs are getting the short end of the stick from either poor customer service or outright wrongdoing in a business sense. While I'm one to normally shy away from adding my two cents into such things, trust me when say I speak from experience that such information, although sensitive or negative has been very useful in raising awareness of certain problems or helping to sort others out. Obviously making such things known is one thing, slinging mud after the fact often ends up being counter-productive. But again, knowledge of even the lesser pleasant side of the hobby is needed at times.

That being said, I urge caution in posting/discussing such subjects and just as important, light/even handedness from the moderator side. With the tolerance levels set on "Eggshell" and discipline levels set at rather Spartan levels, the end effect could cause more damage than it prevents.

Personally, the more folks like skyhawka4m disappear, the less quality we'll see coming in.

jankees
February 6th, 2013, 22:15
once again I seem to have missed something completely, but that's okay.
I will miss your contributions though, skyhawk,...

dhasdell
February 6th, 2013, 22:21
I can only echo Jankees.

TARPSBird
February 6th, 2013, 23:24
Skyhawk, I urge you to stick around and continue to post. Whatever the circumstances of recent events, just take it in stride and chalk it up to experience. You've contributed a lot in the past, and we hope you'll continue to do so. :salute:

wapanomi
February 7th, 2013, 00:11
I think that the evolution of the internet in the last 12-18 months has a bad impact on the communication in the community. Being involved in a lot of forums, I can say that it's in the simulation community that I've found the best ones : the passion, the technical focus and a good moderation keep us in a good path, with enough incidents to avoid sleeping and repetitions...

Since last year, I notice a much more agressive communication from some people that probably think that it's necessary for their diffusion, commercial or not. I think it's a side effect of the facebook pages : the level of communication is very different there, with too much affectivity to stay on the technical points. In our forums, that give us the same annoying teasing (you know, the guy who didn't use FSX anymore but who have seen that the new X company is doing an add-on and is so confident in the quality they will reach that he's considering to reinstall the whole thing... I can show you some of them...), comparison between add-ons that become competition between two fan teams, and, overall, a lot of true aggressivity against people on the forums who try to discuss with objectivity, because objectivity needs that you talk also about the things you don't like.

But the truth is that it occurs 4 or 5 times in the 12/18 months, and that in each case, you could have find the same persons involved.

I had to mention that because I thougt your post of the other day was aiming against this particular people. I can understand your reaction, because I think it was your way to defend a certain vision of the community against these guys. I thank you for that. So I wanted to add two things :

1. if you look the recent actuality, the fact is that these guys are dangerous especially for themselves and the people they pretend to help. Talented and promising author have missed the launch of very interesting add-ons because of the response they give to the community... That's easy to see.

2. so, considering that important contributors like you could quit the forums because of these evolution is very sad : it will take us closer of a result that is not certain...

rvn817j
February 7th, 2013, 04:26
Many of us understand. On the one issue, I won't say a thing because it rapidly becomes destructive vs. constructive criticism in this public forum. On the issue of you leaving, please don't stay away long. (Over this past summer and autumn, I felt as you do, I needed a break.) Best wishes to you.

Timbohobo
February 7th, 2013, 17:31
I think the key thing is to remember why you love FS, remember that PASSION for aviation that we all share, now when I feel annoyed I just go for a good flight :running:

strykerpsg
February 8th, 2013, 07:27
Wapanomi, check your PM please. Thanks in advance.

wapanomi
February 8th, 2013, 09:00
Sorry, I'm here in Belgium and unable to answer you sooner. I've just send you my response.

Best regards to you,

Wapanomi