PDA

View Full Version : Just so you know...

Rami
February 6th, 2013, 12:52
Hey guys,

Regarding Friday and on into Saturday...I'm in the red zone. :icon_eek: :isadizzy: :icon_eek:

Shadow Wolf 07
February 6th, 2013, 13:04
Good luck with it all.

Blood_Hawk23
February 6th, 2013, 13:50
Join the club because so am I.

gius
February 6th, 2013, 13:54
Good luck with it!!

Blood_Hawk23
February 6th, 2013, 14:11
Ahh no big. its the price of living in New England. you get use to it.

HELLO!!! classic Nor'Eastern.

Rami
February 6th, 2013, 14:44
Blood_Hawk23,

I know...this is like living in Buffalo, except the snow is stickier. :salute:

Blood_Hawk23
February 6th, 2013, 15:13
Blood_Hawk23,

I know...this is like living in Buffalo, except the snow is stickier. :salute:

One good thing is that this will take all day and night. I've never lived in up state NY but i've heard stories.

get some water for the toilet. have a good backup heater. and get a nice bottle of something or another. then kick back and watch it fall. if you don't drink then a nice cup of tea or hot chocolate.

In the morning break out the plow, snowblower and shovles to start digging out. You can grab some neighborhood kids, give them a few buck and let them do it.

Rami
February 6th, 2013, 15:19
Blood_Hawk23,

Actually, it is a problem for me. My mom has to have dialysis Saturday morning at 10am, and if she can't get to the clinic, she will be in serious trouble. She may have to go by ambulance to another hospital, but if they can't get out...

Come hell or high water, I will figure out a way to get her there. :salute:

P.S. - I was born in Niagara Falls and spent many years in Western New York.

Blood_Hawk23
February 6th, 2013, 15:56
Blood_Hawk23,

Actually, it is a problem for me. My mom has to have dialysis Saturday morning at 10am, and if she can't get to the clinic, she will be in serious trouble. She may have to go by ambulance to another hospital, but if they can't get out...

Come hell or high water, I will figure out a way to get her there. :salute:

P.S. - I was born in Niagara Falls and spent many years in Western New York.

we went through that very thing with my Grandfather. Call an ambulance. remember the hospital Dialysis will make her weaker then the clinics. i guess they filter more. so hopefully they can take her to the Clinic.

My prayers are with you.

kelticheart
February 7th, 2013, 01:02
Rami,

my solidarity goes out to you. That's the same amount of snowfall we got here last year during the same beginning of February, about a month after you visited here, except that we got it three times within the same week and a half, then temperatures dropped to -15 C for almost ten days. So everything that fell stayed right there! East of here, towards the Adriatic shore, they got it much worse, in some rural places people got buried in over 9' (that's it: 3 metres!) of wet snow and roofs started caving in, because they were not built to withstand such extraordinaryly enormous weights.

You were actually blessed by a good weather spell on this side of the Alps, after you left the weather slowly got worse. Remember the area I live in? The winding uphill road to my house became a river of ice, only studded snow tyres could have helped but they are outlawed here. I have snow chains and winter tyres, but they did not work with such a thick layer of ice all over the place and salt sprayed by snowplows did not work either at such low temperatures. So I stayed put for well over a week, down to my very last can of beans!
Two years ago blizzard winds at the beginning of March accumulated 58 cm (37.66") in front of the garage door and about 50 cm against my front door. It took me almost two days of hard work to take my car out of my front yard, because I had no room left to pile the snow up. Not counting I had caught a very bad cold right when the snow started to fall and I had to shovel with a fever. I felt as I was still living in Milford, CT, where I had my share of blizzards, freezing rains and all the New England winter works! This year we were lucky, although it snowed already 7 times here since the beginning of December, temperatures did not drop so sharply and several times snow turned to rain, melting away shortly.

So much for whoever still holds the world weather patterns have not changed for the worse! We are not out of the woods yet, as we can get bad surprises up to the first half of March.

Best luck with your mom and remember to put your car in the highest gear possible if you have manual shift or refrain from stepping on the accellerator if you drive automatic transmission. Skidding drive wheels in snow, heavy braking (even with ABS systems or 4-wheel drive vehicles) or sudden steering maneuvers are the worst things one can do under snow and ice driving conditions. My dad used to tell me: "Drive as if you had eggs in between your feet and the pedals, you don't wanna break them!"

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Rami
February 7th, 2013, 01:28
Kelti,

I am a veteran of many New York and New England winters, and always take it slow and gentle. I always grumble when I see four-wheel drive vehicles scream past me..."just because you have four wheel drive doesn't mean you won't go into a four-wheel slide."

And as far as the advice about the eggs...my dad told me the exact same thing when I learned to drive...and it stuck. :medals:

kelticheart
February 7th, 2013, 02:52
...."just because you have four wheel drive doesn't mean you won't go into a four-wheel slide.".....

I love it! Ever since the SUV fashion struck this country, we got the very same idiots who drive a 4WD as if nothing on earth will ever cause them a problem. No matter what stupid maneuver they carry out, they think they bought glue-coated tyres with their useless SUVs.

I say useless because we do not have desert roads or vaste outbacks, where 4WD vehicles make a lot of sense, here. Besides, their taller CoG and their off-road tyres will give stability problems even with heavy winds, let alone wet or icy roads. In fact, with every bad weather event, there's a ditched 4WD somewhere here!

Cheers!

MaskRider
February 7th, 2013, 05:13
Good luck Rami,

Best advice I've heard: take everything slow, deliberate and easy.

Sounds like maybe a few Snow Days off from school, too, eh?

Hopefully the power won't go out.

Take some pics and post them for us to see!

BTW, my old man was from Beverly, Mass. Looks like they are in the red zone, too.

MR

PS Here where I live, about 30 miles east of San Diego, we are expecting a sort-of roughing-it weekend. The snow level might actually drop down to where I live at about 2000 feet. Very odd for here. But any snow that does fall won't accumulate- temps aren't supposed to go below 33-34 and that only at night. They actually post "severe weather alerts" for this kind of weather around here: warning that those wearing flip-flops may feel a slight chill on their feet. Rough, huh?

sc7500
February 7th, 2013, 05:59
...They actually post "severe weather alerts" for this kind of weather around here: warning that those wearing flip-flops may feel a slight chill on their feet. Rough, huh?...

LOL ! Almost shot coffee outta my nose holes at THAT one !
:icon_lol:
I'm a Native Cali Surfer kid transplanted to Iowa... Nothing I love more than to walk into a coffee shop wearing flip flops in the dead of winter, freaking everybody out... The rule of thumb is no boots until it's 20*F or lower.

Yeah, I'm insane. Look where I was raised !
SC
:kilroy:

Rami, revert to your native Boston Cunning and be safe - you'll get things handled if you use your head and take your time !

fsafranek
February 7th, 2013, 06:25
Thanks for the info MaskRider. I live up in Escondido and will be driving to Yuma on Saturday. Since I'll by going through your Alpine area I'll be sure and put on socks under my Reefs.
:ernae:

PS Here where I live, about 30 miles east of San Diego, we are expecting a sort-of roughing-it weekend. The snow level might actually drop down to where I live at about 2000 feet. Very odd for here. But any snow that does fall won't accumulate- temps aren't supposed to go below 33-34 and that only at night. They actually post "severe weather alerts" for this kind of weather around here: warning that those wearing flip-flops may feel a slight chill on their feet. Rough, huh?

Rami
February 7th, 2013, 07:12
Hey guys,

You probably have to live in cold-winter climates to find this funny, but this is what I envision snow plow operators will be doing tomorrow morning, because this is the first "real" storm of the season.

http://www.tvspots.tv/video/14203/DUNKIN-DONUTS--PLOW

It ranks amongst my all-time favorite commercials, because it is exemplifies New England winters so perfectly. :icon_lol:

Rami
February 7th, 2013, 07:28
Good luck Rami,

Sounds like maybe a few snow days off from school, too, eh?

Hopefully the power won't go out.

Take some pics and post them for us to see!

BTW, My old man was from Beverly, Mass. Looks like they are in the red zone, too.

MR

Chris,

1) Nah...they'll have everything plowed by Sunday night...I'd be STUNNED if school was cancelled on Monday. A Friday early-release is a possibility, though...

2) The power going out is a real possibility. We're looking at moderate to major coastal flooding, as well as sustained winds of 25 MPH or higher starting late tomorrow morning, with sustained winds and gusts of 50-60 MPH for at least six-to-eight hours, with thunder and lightning with snowfall rates of 3-4 inches per hour in the teeth of it from 11pm Friday night to 5-6am on Saturday, with heavy snow continuing through 9am.

They're talking about near hurricane-force sustained winds on Cape Cod for nearly twelve hours, and the storm is supposed to stall just off of Nantucket for about six hours or more while the storm is winding up, which will enhance the snow further.

Worse, it will be right around 30-32 degrees during the storm, so the snow won't be light and fluffy...it will be more like cement. Whitey Bulger could use this stuff to throw a couple of Southies into the harbor, you'd never see them again...! :icon_lol:

In other words...just another New England Nor'Easter here on the good old South Shore.

3) I'll be sure to take some pictures. :salute:
4) Yeah...you've got it real rough, anyone who would wear flip-flops around here during the winter would wind up in a padded cell. :wiggle:

Blood_Hawk23
February 7th, 2013, 07:40
I had a roommate that wore shorts year round. and he was born here in Maine. I must add that he was a hockey player so maybe that explains a lot.

I love the vid Rami. Reminds me of our state plow drives.

This will be my second big storm this year. and it might beat the first by 6". It's the power going out that I worry about. It's not bad in the summer but I hate it in the winter.

MaskRider
February 7th, 2013, 08:03
Whitey Bulger could use this stuff to throw a couple of Southies into the harbor, you'd never see them again...! :icon_lol:

LOL!:icon_lol:

Blood_Hawk23
February 7th, 2013, 09:13
well here is the latest in my area.

http://www.wcsh6.com/images/weather/640/360/2/weather/graphics/WCSHEvent.jpg

I'm right on the line of the 16"-24" and the 12"-20" which means i'm looking at 18". if thats the case then this one will beat the last one by 2".

temps only in the teens

http://www.wcsh6.com/images/weather/640/360/2/weather/graphics/WCSH4DAY.jpg

gotta love Maine in the Winter.

Rami
February 7th, 2013, 09:27
Blood_Hawk23,

Maybe they'll let you go tubing down the slides at Water Country...lol :icon_lol:

Do you have one of them block heaters for your vehicle?

Blood_Hawk23
February 7th, 2013, 12:13
My car is down right now. I haven't used a block heater since my Oldsmobile Cutlass had one. That was in 94.

Tubing sounds fun but Water Country is like an hour away.

There is a saying here in Maine "You can't get there from here." Say it with a heavy "Maine'a" accent.

Basically meaning there is no road that will take you right there.

I'm in Northern York county, which is the bottom or southern county in Maine. I'm about 30mins from Oxford county and about 20mins from Cumberland. It takes me about 45mins to get to Portland and almost 30mins to get to Sanford.

The little town I live in is almost right on that red and purple snow line.

Daveroo
February 7th, 2013, 16:21
I'm near Donner summit California..a few years ago there was a base pack..yes PACK of snow at the summit over 800 inches deep...now that's snow...one year when working in Truckee CA, we had to dig 12 feet down into snow to reach the second floor deck of a cabin we were working on..what fun that was...not much up there this year though.

Rami
February 7th, 2013, 16:40
Daveroo,

Ah yes...Donner summit. The party that got Donner and "dinner" mixed up. :mixedsmi:

Blood_Hawk23
February 7th, 2013, 17:18
They are now comparing this to the Blizzard of '78.

I was in Jax FL back then. and only 5 yrs old. Good thing I have snow shoes.

"MUSH" you Huskies. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Wait I don't have those. maybe the kids will work instead.

Rami
February 7th, 2013, 17:51
Good evening,

At least I get the day off from work tomorrow. I had a feeling this was going to happen, so I assigned my college prep students a two-page research paper and my honors students a three-page research paper and told them it was due on Friday. :mixedsmi:

MaskRider
February 7th, 2013, 17:59
Good news, Rami. I just flew from Pittsburgh to Boston in FSX. No worries. ;^)

Have a safe night!

MR

Rami
February 8th, 2013, 06:07
Good morning,

Storm log, entry I: The first flakes started flying here in Whitman about 8:10am, and I noticed the snow rate started picking up about 9:25am. There's a good stiff east wind blowing...the snow is coming in on a slant or sideways. I'll take a pic once the ground starts getting really coated for all you sun-belters. :mixedsmi:

Worthless
February 8th, 2013, 06:31
Good luck to you guys in the path of the storms. NC isn't warm but it's far from icy and at my age and physical state that is significant. Guess I'll stick around in Hurricane Alley.

Blood_Hawk23
February 8th, 2013, 08:05
Yea we are getting now.

"Hey Ho"

MaskRider
February 8th, 2013, 10:14
10 minutes ago at Logan (FS9)

Waiting to take off- Logan
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80667&d=1360350549

Waiting
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80668&d=1360350549

Underway
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80669&d=1360350549

Out of it at 8600'
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80670&d=1360350549

MR

Rami
February 8th, 2013, 11:23
Good afternoon,

As you can see, nothing terribly exciting, yet. :mixedsmi:

Blood_Hawk23
February 8th, 2013, 12:05
I have 3" so far.

Blood_Hawk23
February 8th, 2013, 13:37
Round 1 done. I think it was close to 5". I'll have to go out at least 2 more times tonite. With out a Plow or a snowblower its the only option.

MaskRider
February 8th, 2013, 18:13
Well, Rami, here is what you have to look forward to:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80675&d=1360379527

Take it slow!
MR

PS It is hailing like crazy here in Alpine at the moment- just little pea-sized hail.

Blood_Hawk23
February 8th, 2013, 19:39
We have about 2" more. its hard to tell cuz its blowing like mad. i'm done for the nite.

dmaloof
February 8th, 2013, 20:37
Live south of Boston in the red zone too but now blue zone. Plowed under as of 12am saturday writing this

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/02/08/mass-snowstorm-knocks-out-power-for-thousands-evacuations-likely/lu16IdVkHUKvWpeDP5hf9K/story.html

Shadow Wolf 07
February 9th, 2013, 04:27
Round 1 done. I think it was close to 5". I'll have to go out at least 2 more times tonite. With out a Plow or a snowblower its the only option.

Don't over do it! I shoveled myself int chest pains 3 years ago and ended up getting a triple bypass.

Blood_Hawk23
February 9th, 2013, 08:37
Well there is no round 3. as of 11pm we had about 8"-10" of snow. no big. well at 3am we had close to a foot more. as of now i have 24"+ with 6' (yes foot) snow drifts. and 4' banking thanks to the plow. on the bright side i still have power and the storm is winding down. more coming for monday. YEAH!!!

I think Rami is without power. so until he replys its a safe bet.

Fibber
February 9th, 2013, 15:12
Well,I guess I am at the low end of the scale here. I only had a foot and a half. Last night I went to bed at 0100 and it was maybe 6 inches. My neighbor said at 0230 it was still that. I got up at 0800 and had a foot and a half! Luckily my old snowblower still works. I was able to do my area and four of my elderly neighbors before I called it quits.
Now the part I worry about is the rain forecast to be coming and then maybe more snow and cold temps in the later part of the week.
My physical therapist for my third shoulder surgery 2 months ago is definitely going to angry with me.

Rami
February 9th, 2013, 15:16
Hey guys,

I lost power at 9pm last night. Generator is still running to power the fridge. Both cars are dug out after three-plus hours. We are staying warm, though.

MaskRider
February 9th, 2013, 15:40
Alright, Rameeee! Glad to see you have re-surfaced and are hanging tough! :icon29:

MR

MaskRider
February 9th, 2013, 15:45
Way to buck-up all you Nemo hackers!

MR

Shadow Wolf 07
February 9th, 2013, 15:52
Alright, Rameeee! Glad to see you have re-surfaced and are hanging tough! :icon29:

MR

I wish to mirror Cody's feelings.

Rami
February 9th, 2013, 18:33
Hey guys,

The latest estimate by the power company is that it might not be restored until noon-ish on Monday. We are staying with friends now who have power...the stuff in the fridge and freezer will be lost, but that's nothing compared to making sure my family and my mom remain safe and warm.

I can also get her to dialysis tomorrow. I can also manage uploads from my phone.

John Pirnie
February 9th, 2013, 18:42
Hey guys,

Regarding Friday and on into Saturday...I'm in the red zone. :icon_eek: :isadizzy: :icon_eek:

Rami, how much snowdid you get at your house?
My kids leave in western mass. One in West Spfld Got 15 in. and two in Agawam got 18 in.
JP:salute:

Blood_Hawk23
February 9th, 2013, 20:45
Offical totals here are mixed. At my house i stand by my numbers.

I'm finally plowed out, sorta. I still have a mess to clean. but we now can get out of the yard. The drifting snow was the worst part here. My parents have 7'-8' drifts and mine are 4' to 6'. we never lost power but it did flicker around noon time.

Rami cook up that food or put it in coolers. heck put it in the snow. don't let it go bad.

During Hurricane Sandy we lost power for almost a week so i sympathize. I'm glad everyone made it.

Well another storm for monday. they are calling for rain or freezing mix. YEAH!!!

Till Later
John

p14u2nv
February 9th, 2013, 20:50
Almost 34" of snow here where I am here on the north shore of Suffolk County, Long Island gentleman. 6+ foot drifts. NE winds 30-40 knots gusting to 60. White out conditions.

Today was a nice 3 hour break in run for a new snow blower. Perfect timing.

Let's see, in the last few months there's been a super destructive hurricane, a kick butt destructive nor'easter a week later and now the blizzard yesterday.

My only concern I have now and considering I've survived this so far, is if the 2013 scheduled tsunami will interfere with the spring Striped Bass run! With the way things go around here lately though, it wouldn't surprise me if a tsunami did in fact arrive, took away my boat first and then the best bass run in years commenced the very next day!

Blood_Hawk23
February 10th, 2013, 10:06
actually this might help the season. was 2001 when we had those big storms. The fishing was good that summer if i remember right. the following 2years weren't. I don't think we'll see a tsunami on the east coast.

Captain Kurt
February 10th, 2013, 13:30
It's snowing here in the mountains too, but not like you guys are getting. Still it's cold out baby. I just built a fire in in the wood stove and I'm making myself something hot to drink. Another week of this and I'm heading back to work in Oahu, This was just a short break at home. :running:

Rami
February 10th, 2013, 13:52
Hey guys,

Power is on, heat is on, no phone, no internet. I'm monitoring SOH by phone, and can approve uploads.

kelticheart
February 11th, 2013, 00:18
Hey guys,

Power is on, heat is on, no phone, no internet. I'm monitoring SOH by phone, and can approve uploads.

It sonds as if the worst is over and it wasn't as bad as they expected it. Thank God! Glad to read it.

It's starting now here. Genova-Cristoforo Colombo, Torino-Caselle, Milano-Malpensa and Milano-Linate airports are being closed, as well as Orio sul Serio in Bergamo and Verona-Valerio Catullo. The forecast calls for at least 40 cm. worth of snowfall (about 26") within the end of the day for the Western part of the Po Valley. It's turning into globalized weather .....:icon_lol:

Hoping the forecaster are only trying to raise audience share, I went to work anyway and I am at the office right now. A good train of snow tyres and aircraft pilot's approach driving will take anyone anywhere in any weather! It sound almost like a Goodyear or Yokohama tyres commercial....

:snowman: Cheers!

Killer Svend
February 11th, 2013, 00:54
The weather in Denmark: No snow,no wind, no frost, no winter, no nothing. decades ago we got the smat idea to put the electric wiring in the ground, and the high voltage kables are hanging on steel masts of a construction so no storm will be able to harm them and the heating is delivered by the powerstations and garbageincineration stations so we are the lucky guyes and I am sorry to hear about all the problems you have in the States. Danish tv and newspapers are keeping us wery well informed about the situation in the USA. Hope the worst is ower.
Killer Svend:salute:

Rami
February 11th, 2013, 06:04
Good morning,

The totals are in...Whitman got 36.7 inches of snow. Wow.

MaskRider
February 11th, 2013, 11:08
Yep! I'd say 36.7" is a not an insignificant snowfall! Yeeeowsa!

Was it enough for them to declare a Snow Day off? ;^)

MR

Rami
February 11th, 2013, 11:35
Was it enough for them to declare a Snow Day off? ;^)

Chris,

Yeah...I had the day off today, so I ran errands up the wazoo and am finishing up six loads of laundry. Things are back on track. 'Round these parts, most school districts usually budget 5-7 snow days into the school year when they build their schedule. If they go beyond those, the end date of the year progresses further into June. If they remain unused, we get out early.

We're expecting another 3-6 inches of snow Wednesday night into Thursday, and another storm over Saturday, dropping some more snow. (But nothing like this one!) They are also now projecting that this jet stream will remain "hyper-active" over the next two-to-three weeks, so more snow (and grinning plow operators happy to have work) are on the way.

It wasn't all bad, though. We had a gaggle of about twenty kids from our neighborhood out on a sledding trip yesterday, and I showed some of the kids how to use and fire a potato gun. We had those puppies being flung about 600-700 feet!

Even better, Boston Common was PACKED yesterday and today with city-dwellers taking their kids sledding, and there was a snowball fight in front of the Cambridge Public Library between students of Harvard and M.I.T. (Or as Harvard calls it, the "trade school.")

Tourists from England, Australia, and other places were thrilled and captivated by the way us New Englanders know how to handle and enjoy the snow, they rave that they want to repeat the experience by getting snowed in here again, they think it's a blast. Crazy, huh? :isadizzy:

MaskRider
February 11th, 2013, 12:00
Sounds great, Rami.

I always loved snow days off. Lots of sledding and winter time fun!

I am going to be driving back to Falls Church, VA in a couple of days. Hopefully I won't run into much snowy weather on the way but I wouldn't mind seeing some while I am there visiting.

Have fun with the upcoming weather events.

MR

Blood_Hawk23
February 11th, 2013, 12:38
The family and I want to start snowshoeing. We hike and Kayak all summer. so we want to stay inshape for summer. My plan is to get us ready to do all of the 3000' peaks in New Hampshire. Maybe do Mt. Katadin. so snoeshoeing will help us get through the winter and not have to waste the spring with our normal workups. This storm gave us a good pack to start.

Ahhh good old spud guns. I had one that would launch almost 1000'. used a tazer for the power source and hairspray or cologne. Man those things would fly. very kool at night.

we just got an inch of heavy snow. more of a pain than anything. i think they said friday for the next big one. maybe a foot.

Rami
February 17th, 2013, 01:18
Chris,

You wanted pics and find out what it was like during and after the blizzard of 2013? Feast your eyes on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbfwpK6zT8&feature=endscreen

Shadow Wolf 07
February 17th, 2013, 04:00
Interesting... Thanks for sharing Rami!

MaskRider
February 17th, 2013, 04:17
Chris,

You wanted pics and find out what it was like during and after the blizzard of 2013? Feast your eyes on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbfwpK6zT8&feature=endscreen

WOW!! That is totally
INSANE! LOL!!

Yes, I would say that qualifies as some serious weather! You guys up there are Hackers!!

Thanks, Rami!
MR

Blood_Hawk23
February 17th, 2013, 09:18
Well minus the sea spray ice thats about what we got in maine. more powder then the heavy stuff. but 2' is still 2'. Crazy how the bird died.