PDA

View Full Version : Skin Request:

gecko
February 5th, 2013, 20:14
Hi all,

I've recently met a guy whose dad was an ace in a day over Vella Lavella, as we see each other a lot I thought it might be fun to give him a chance to fly his dad's plane in PTO sometime, might even try to recreate his mission. I've attached a few pics if anyone is interested. One is from FSX which showed some other angles better, but it's the wrong model. Should be a P-40M - the P-40K model ought to work as they were quite similar. Thanks for any help, we appreciate it!

Daniel

ndicki
February 6th, 2013, 08:35
I think John's the man for this - he did the Kittyhawks for PTO, so...

HouseHobbit
February 9th, 2013, 08:49
Daniel,
When one of Our Masters with the time, do the skin,

I would be pleased to do a few missions for this..
just will need some mission information (Who/Where/When etc..) on all of this..

gosd
February 9th, 2013, 09:12
Bravo, this is going to be a great adventure!:applause:

gecko
February 10th, 2013, 19:13
Thanks for the offer Owen! The Pilot is Joseph Lesicka, (a Lt. at the time I think) of the 44th FS, 18th FG based out of Guadalcanal (not sure which airfield). The mission in question was a CAP over Vella La Vella on July 15th 1943. I'm not certain what model of P-40 they were flying, F, K, or M, or maybe a mixture. Lesicka had a K or an M I think. Along with a few other Marine or Navy units intercepted a large Japanese formation consiting of Zeros, Kates, and Bettys. I don't know what the target was though. Not sure what the total losses were that day but it was a bad day for the Japanese. US casualties were presumably light, but I did find reference to the 44th's CO being KIA that day so it may have been a tougher fight, I don't know. More research is definitely needed to get a clear picture of the events.

Talon
February 10th, 2013, 19:55
The 44th FS, 18th FG flew from Fighter Strip 1 on Guadacanal and arrived on on December 20,1942.Their first missin was December 21,1942..Along with other USAAF ( P38s ) and USMC ( Corsairs ) fighters they intercepted 27 Japanese bombers ( 15 shot down ) and 40 to 50 Zekes ( 30 shot down ). They lost 3 aircraft. I have done a few 44th FS missions a couple of years ago.

gecko
February 10th, 2013, 21:19
Fantastic information Talon! Did you do this one for CFS2? Perhaps I could try to convert it over? I love your attention to the real events in your missions.

MajorMagee
February 11th, 2013, 03:26
I can work on the skin if there are no other takers. Does anyone have a photo of Lt. Lesicka ( even as an older veteran would work) so I can do this as part of the Ghost In The Machine series?

gecko
February 11th, 2013, 06:56
You're the first taker, thanks! I'll see what I can drum up for photos.

Talon
February 11th, 2013, 08:29
By Vella La Vella on July 15th 1943.

Not a real good texture so will wait for MajorMagee to do one.

Talon
February 11th, 2013, 16:12
Fantastic information Talon! Did you do this one for CFS2? Perhaps I could try to convert it over? I love your attention to the real events in your missions.

The missions I have are up to Februay 1943 but I have researched the 44th FS at Guadacanal.As a matter of fact I researched the USMC squadrons and Other USAAF squadrons in the Solomons.There could be alot of missions ( 150 to 200 ) done if someone wanted to do them.

gecko
February 11th, 2013, 16:35
Wow, sounds really good. It's a bigger bite than I can chew right now as I've got several projects going, but perhaps you could pass on what you have for that day? I could manage that. It would be really cool if 44th campaign or something like that could be created at some point. Thanks.

Daniel

Talon
February 11th, 2013, 17:46
Wow, sounds really good. It's a bigger bite than I can chew right now as I've got several projects going, but perhaps you could pass on what you have for that day? I could manage that. It would be really cool if 44th campaign or something like that could be created at some point. Thanks.

Daniel

Sounds like a job for the mission builder Guru.

I have no real interest in doing missions anymore but have been working on fixing some planes that like to nose dive when used in air start or as they come out of warp.Seems to be an airfile issue and so far I have gotten 2 planes to stop nose diving. I'm still testing as I go along.

gecko
February 12th, 2013, 18:47
I had that issue on a few planes, the F2A being one of them, but found it had to do with the flight model not being set to "hard" in the realism settings. Not sure if this is the same problem you're having or not.

Also, I have gotten a good picture of Lesicka for you Major. It's from when he was awarded the DFC following this action.

MajorMagee
February 13th, 2013, 03:10
Perfect. Thanks.

MajorMagee
March 2nd, 2013, 18:43
Uploaded now.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=81&linkid=15509

gecko
March 2nd, 2013, 20:27
She looks great! I really appreciate you doing this!

MajorMagee
March 3rd, 2013, 05:17
I set the model up with the shine values modified for having Specular Textures turned on in Win 7 as that's how I'm running mine now. It may look a bit flat for everyone else.

CE8 through CEA are 30 versus the original value of E5 and CEF is 42 versus 40. You can hex edit them back if you want more shine in XP.

HouseHobbit
March 3rd, 2013, 08:53
Beautiful!! Thanks Major..
I always look forward to your work..
I will download this and have a look at it all....

Perhaps Talon is free to do a campaign this he does have all the needed info for this..
Too Cool!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

WOW!! I found skins for this in BMP format..
I was looking into this and found much info, which is nice..
and also found skins for this Bird IL2, but to me they look like the BMP format used in cfs3, I wonder with Martain Wrights converter tool that a DDS files might work in CFS3 too??
Just guessing here, not a "skinner"don't have those skills..
Thanks Much Major for the beautiful bird, and yea I am researching this and have a mission set up for this in the starting stage..
off to wreck a few Japanese aircraft..

WOW!!

http://asisbiz.com/il2/P-40/P-40M-18FG44FS-W125-Lesicka.html (http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/P-40/P-40M-18FG44FS-W125-Lesicka/images/IL2-JS-Curtiss-P-40F-Warhawk-18FG44FS-W125-Lesicka-New-Georgia-Isl-1943.bmp)

Talon
March 3rd, 2013, 12:39
HH The screenshot I put up is the IL2 skin.I coverted it so it would work in CFS3 but also had to add a few things so it would work right.

HouseHobbit
March 3rd, 2013, 14:11
Thanks Talon for helping , if anyone would know of course you would..:applause: :applause:
I am not skilled in such matters.. :icon_eek:
Major Magee made a beautiful skin, and I am enjoying this..Like the P-40 have a herd from skins , and now one more to play with..:applause:

Yea the Good Guys are winning..
And this is called "target fixation " getting a bit froggy here..:icon_lol:

MajorMagee
March 3rd, 2013, 16:08
I had to make some compromises with the markings because of the way the model was skinned, but the general impression is reasonably true to the original.

gosd
March 3rd, 2013, 18:16
Tried this a/c in PTO Solomon QC. It handles very well ;fast and furyous, it also explodes and burns nicely!:applause::applause:

Talon
March 3rd, 2013, 19:30
I am doing a set of missions using the new P40M starting January 15,1943 until at least August 1943.They will be as historical as possible.To do them right it will take a while.

I also have a USMC Aces mission pack I've been working on that starts August 1942 when Wilcats land at Henderson and later in 1943 you will be flying Corsairs.

HouseHobbit
March 3rd, 2013, 20:24
I am doing a set of missions using the new P40M starting January 15,1943 until at least August 1943.They will be as historical as possible.To do them right it will take a while.

I also have a USMC Aces mission pack I've been working on that starts August 1942 when Wilcats land at Henderson and later in 1943 you will be flying Corsairs.

Bravo Talon!!
And there is Much rejoicing!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Look forward to this..
Thanks ..:salute: :salute:

gecko
March 3rd, 2013, 21:51
She's up and running in my install now! Great to hear about the missions, that is one of my favorite time period in the Pacific war.82302

Talon
March 5th, 2013, 18:52
January 15,1943.

44th FS P40s over Faisi Island flying cover for B17s as they attack 5 Destroyers. P38s and P39s also joined in dogfight with Japanese floatplanes.13 Japanese planes were shot down.

MajorMagee
March 9th, 2013, 17:48
I noticed some people were getting green canopy glass and for others (XP?) it was clear. If you have the shaders file set up to show reflections off the glass in Win 7 or 8 ( <ModelEnvironmentMap Desc="Vertex Lighting + Vertex Environment Map blended by TFactor" withTexture0="1" ) I evidently don't have the P_40m.m3d file set up quite right. You need to hex edit four values to correct it.

DB6 and DFE should be FF and DBB and E08 should be 30.

MajorMagee
December 23rd, 2013, 17:00
Bump needed to find the note on the glass shading modification.

:bump:

HouseHobbit
December 24th, 2013, 05:09
I have One mission built for this, Talon, I expect has many more by now.
If anyone is interested I can send the One historical I built for this..

gosd
December 24th, 2013, 11:13
Go a head I am interested, so send me a copy,
Thanks and merry Xmas to all!:wavey:

HouseHobbit
December 24th, 2013, 11:41
Go a head I am interested, so send me a copy,
Thanks and merry Xmas to all!:wavey:

Sent the mission,
enjoy,
Joyeux Noël

gosd
December 25th, 2013, 15:09
This is good stuff !
Owen you are making progress. :biggrin-new:
I am shure everyone will enjoy this XMass gift. :santahat:

Talon
December 26th, 2013, 12:09
I have One mission built for this, Talon, I expect has many more by now.
If anyone is interested I can send the One historical I built for this..

I have January 1943 done but don't have much time right now to do missions.I've been doing Christmas concerts and have a show for New Year's.

Talon
January 8th, 2014, 17:09
I have missions for January thru April 1943 done. Will be doing May soon. I trying to get thru July 1943.

HouseHobbit
January 9th, 2014, 08:04
Thanks Talon, Looking forward to your work..
Oh yea!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Talon
January 10th, 2014, 19:56
Looks like this will be at least 35 missions of which I have 25 done.

gosd
January 11th, 2014, 06:35
Relly enjoy flying these historical related missions.:wiggle: