PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim's Tornado F.3

Blackbird686
January 31st, 2013, 14:13
I recently re-installed the Alphasim Fornado F.3, only to find out that the model makes my scenery textures go blurry.... I went into the texture folders for the plane with DXTBMP, but there are so many bitmaps...:isadizzy:Does anyone know which textures are the ones that need to be changed so that the blurries go away? I managed to get Dave Garwoods Hunters and a really sweet Saab 105 model to work using a little trick I heard about over at BritSim. I just don't know where to start with the Alpha model.

BB686:USA-flag:

alastairmonk
February 1st, 2013, 01:07
Hi,

I would look first at the external textures, which are probably 32-bit (~4Mb per texture) which should reduce to ~1024kb when converted to DXT3. When I did this I targeted all the "big" files.

Alastair

kikas
February 1st, 2013, 02:55
You could use texture conversation batch, and then run that "dxt3fixer" magic thingy, because batch conversation for some reason ruins empty alpha textures.

vonernsk
February 1st, 2013, 05:30
I took the approach of presenting my graphics card with all 32 bit textures (Scenery is 32 bit courtesy of GE Pro). This is tedious but once done (using DXTBmp) is done. With all a/c textures in 32 bit the blurries dissapear.

Had the same prob with the Alpha F-4 Phantom packs and resolved that prob by locating any 16bit DXT1 files and upgrading them to DXT3.

Did not like the orig HUD that came with the Tornado or indeed the HUD with the Phantom and replaced both with the excellent basic HUD from the freeware DSB - now IRIS T.1 Hawk.

Hope this helps.

Mal

Blackbird686
February 1st, 2013, 05:43
Thanks, mates... I was afeared of having to convert everything to 32bit for the Alpha Tonka, but since I have a machine that can handle it I reckon I'll just have to jump in and "git er' done".

As far as replacing the HUD... the Alpha version isn't too bad in their Tornado. I have used the Alpha HUD in some of my IRIS birds, such as the EAP, F-14 Tomcat and F-15E Strike Eagle. Some of the HUD displays loose resolution in the VC unless you are right up on them. The Alpha HUD doesn't seem to do this on my machine.

EDIT: All of them are done, and it cured the problem however the outer textures for the aircraft model are actually OK to leave as DXT3. Everything in the cockpit, all of the weapons bitmaps and surprisingly, the landing gear had to be changed to 32bit to cure the fuzzies. Took me all bloody day. LOL!

BB686:USA-flag: