PDA

View Full Version : IRIS Tornado GR3

SSI01
January 31st, 2013, 03:09
Not too long ago, some new "desert" textures were offered for the freeware IRIS Tornado GR3. While with my former organization, I was temporarily assigned to a position at Bahrain International Airport in 2001. The NAF there still had a wall which bore "tags" from organizations that had passed through during Desert Storm, and a 617Sq tag was on the wall. When these textures showed up I thought I'd avail myself of them, looking for a 617 bird. After applying them to my existing GR3 install, I took it for a hop in FS9 over the Gulf. Here's a screenie:

Very impressed with the aircraft and everything about it. Even though this is rather dated flightsim technology, it's still a highly enjoyable ride and a well-made simulation. Does anyone know of any other textures made for this aircraft?

Tom Burnside
January 31st, 2013, 03:44
Nice paint but there was never a GR3 Tornado the only GR variants are the GR1 and the modern GR4.

awj112
January 31st, 2013, 04:22
There are textures all over the net for this bird. Best bet is flightsim.com and avsim.com.

Blackbird686
January 31st, 2013, 09:02
I have always liked the IRIS Tornado. Now I'm going to have to go and fetch me copy of the GR.3 from the storeage drive and re-install it. Another excellent Tornado model is the Alphasim bird. Lotsa repaints for both but for free, you can't beat the IRIS model.

EDIT: The IRIS Tornado is an F.3, not a GR.3. There was only a GR.1 and GR.4 version as Tom mentioned above.

BB686:USA-flag:

kikas
January 31st, 2013, 09:25
Could somebody explain to me, why HUD's on IRIS planes are eating so much frames? I disabled them and fly without any problems, but still would like to know where is the secret

Blackbird686
January 31st, 2013, 09:29
When I ran the IRIS Tornado, and the payware IRIS EAP Pack on a different computer, I found myself replacing the HUD in those planes with comperable ones from other freeware and payware models. Not really sure why the IRIS Hud's are so heavy on frame rates tho.

BB686:USA-flag:

SSI01
January 31st, 2013, 12:33
Tom's right, during my fat-fingering on the keyboard I put in a "3" vice a "4."

I'm heading for those sites to check on those texures!:salute: