PDA

View Full Version : Random Question.

djscoo
January 6th, 2009, 12:50
Why do almost all (if not all) Russian aircraft have that weird shade of turquoise as the main color in their cockpits?

spotlope
January 6th, 2009, 12:53
I've always assumed that it was the primer they use - sort of like zinc chromate in the US. On a similar note, I've always been curious why so many Soviet designs utilized negative wing dihedral (anhedral?) -- must be some sort of prevailing design theory there.

SkippyBing
January 6th, 2009, 13:19
Why do almost all (if not all) Russian aircraft have that weird shade of turquoise as the main color in their cockpits?

I believe it may be for psychological reasons, apparently shades of green/blue are the most soothing, hence there use in mental institutions, so there was some belief it could reduce the levels of stress in the cockpit.

Anhedral wings are less stable than Dihedral ones so if your basic airframe is too stable for its intended use it's a way to improve the situation. I think the Phantom's wingtips are upturned to improve the stability.

Desert Rat
January 6th, 2009, 13:23
Wasn't it because they had excess Tractor paint available, or was that just the outside?

Ah comrade, I see your interested in a new tractor, what colour were you thinking about? You can have any colour you like as long as it's tractor green.

SolarEagle
January 6th, 2009, 14:23
As noted above that color was picked by psychologists to reduce stress and help the crew remain focused and alert during extended periods in the cockpit.

Warrant
January 6th, 2009, 15:38
Anhedral wings are less stable than Dihedral ones so if your basic airframe is too stable for its intended use it's a way to improve the situation.

True; less stability means more agility. With that agility you can have advantage in a dogfight for example. It depends on the aircraft design/designer if the pilot will have an extra workload to compensate the instability or not (e.g. flightcomputer, fly-by-wire) :gameon::gameoff:...:faint:

BananaBob
January 6th, 2009, 22:41
I just wanna know why all the wheels are green? :karate: