PDA

View Full Version : Bad Duck

Paul Domingue
January 22nd, 2013, 20:02
A few pics to show how the J2F-5 Duck is coming along. All the gauges are 3d and a good portion of them work correctly, some need adjusting and some are still waiting coding. The flight dynamics are getting close to giving the aircraft a realistic feeling but need some fine tuning. It is quite an enjoyable aircraft to fly now. Exceeding engine design limits will cause failure. It is a native FSX-A aircraft (sorry FS9 users) and I designed the VC with TrackIR in mind so there are a few things and animations in the VC that can only be seen with TrackIR.

A few people now have a copy and I'm seriously considering making it available to forum members, as it is, with updates available as they develop if any are interested. I have a paint kit in PSD format I will also post for those who would like to give it a different look.

If you are interested in flying the "Bad Duck" I have only one requirement, you must be RED. Let me know.

warchild
January 22nd, 2013, 20:05
Thats looking fantastic Paul. Simply fantastic.. You got me droolin :)..

falcon409
January 22nd, 2013, 20:17
Beautiful job Paul!:applause:

Paul Domingue
January 22nd, 2013, 20:22
Thats looking fantastic Paul. Simply fantastic.. You got me droolin :)..

The latest version is in my folder (you know where) except for a new throttle/mixture control seen in the the pics I just got through making it.

CG_1976
January 22nd, 2013, 20:23
Quack Quack, now there is something i could use and fly from Jim's NAS Corpus Christi.

rayhere48
January 22nd, 2013, 20:25
I would like a copy also. I love this aircraft.

Marvin Carter
January 22nd, 2013, 20:33
It does look sweet!!!

Sundog
January 22nd, 2013, 20:38
I wouldn't mind checking it out. :)

OleBoy
January 22nd, 2013, 20:40
It looks a little hard-pressed. In need of a friend :mixedsmi:

familton
January 22nd, 2013, 20:50
Hi Paul. I just donated. It will be a few days to clear. Please put me on the list when I'm red. I worked with Heather Sherman and the late Bill Morad on the Fs2002 Duck. Regards, Bob.

roger-wilco-66
January 22nd, 2013, 23:01
Hi Paul, I really admire the results of your work and dedication. It looks beautiful.

I'd love to check it out!

Cheers,
Mark

TARPSBird
January 22nd, 2013, 23:23
Amphibian and a tailhooker! :applause:
Paul, definitely put me on the list, I'd love to fly the Duck around San Diego and Norfolk.

TheGrunt
January 22nd, 2013, 23:28
Count me in also! I will surely check this out :applause:

jankees
January 23rd, 2013, 01:00
A prop, a cool amphibian and a paintkit....you can put me on the list of interested people as well!

Tartuffe
January 23rd, 2013, 01:19
Awesome job, Paul !
Count me in !

:salute:

FentiFlier1
January 23rd, 2013, 02:05
I was looking forward to hearing about this project. Awesome! :salute::medals:

Owen.

Crash_Hawk
January 23rd, 2013, 02:21
Is there any other way to donate? I tried through PayPal but PayPal doesn't like me for some reason.

Oh well, I tried. It looks nice though. Keep up the good work!!

Jonathan

Bruce Thompson
January 23rd, 2013, 02:54
Hi Paul,
I would love to try out your Duck, it looks brilliant.

Regards
Bruce

fleurdelys
January 23rd, 2013, 03:33
Bonjour Paul,

Your "duck" meets all the primary requirements to get me excited... :jump:
It is a biplane and a seaplane... :icon_lol:

You may count me in to give her a bath !

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Crusader
January 23rd, 2013, 04:19
Excellent job Paul on one of my favorite single engine amphibs . Please put me on the list .

Rich:applause:

JohnT1949
January 23rd, 2013, 04:48
I, also, would like to put some hours in this one. Great Job!!:salute:

warchild
January 23rd, 2013, 05:01
I took her up for a test flight Paul.. Naturally for the first test i still used my own flight model, but plan on putting yours through its paces as well.. The plane looks outstanding. The glass is a work of genius and the interior animations are wonderful.. Youve really made something special with this one..

Crusader
January 23rd, 2013, 05:06
The latest version is in my folder (you know where) except for a new throttle/mixture control seen in the the pics I just got through making it.

Would you give me a hint where "your folder" might be ? I don't want to give away trade secrets though .;)

Rich

peter12213
January 23rd, 2013, 05:06
Really nice looking forward to flying her!

mgchrist5
January 23rd, 2013, 05:19
Looks great, Paul!

I'd love to try it at some point, as well.

huub vink
January 23rd, 2013, 05:44
Dear Paul,

Please put me on the list of interested persons as well. The engine really looks amazing!

Thanks,
Huub

Is there any other way to donate? I tried through PayPal but PayPal doesn't like me for some reason.

Oh well, I tried. It looks nice though. Keep up the good work!!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

You could contact somebody you know who has a paypal account and ask him to make the transfer. Ask this person to send Ickie a PM or e-mail with the message that the donation was done on your behalf (The e-mail address from the paypal transfer can be used to contact Ickie as well).

Good luck,
Huub

Ferry_vO
January 23rd, 2013, 06:39
Would love to have that in my FsX as well. :)

OleBoy
January 23rd, 2013, 07:01
She's coming along nicely Paul. :salute:

Sieggie
January 23rd, 2013, 07:07
Paul,

I would also like to help refine the project. Will you be setting up a thread to report problems so you don't get inundated with the same problem from many different people?

Dave

Daveroo
January 23rd, 2013, 07:11
id like to have her myself.....but i have no clue where "your folder " is....

sarwulf
January 23rd, 2013, 09:10
Looks fantastic! Please add me to your list too! Thanks!

jojohnson9
January 23rd, 2013, 09:14
It would be great to try this Duck.

JAllen
January 23rd, 2013, 09:48
Yes Sir! Count me in on this beautiful work. Thank you very much.

Roger
January 23rd, 2013, 10:56
Looks good enough to eat Paul! Great job so far:applause:

hairyspin
January 23rd, 2013, 11:01
I'd be delighted to get this one wet, yes please! :jump:

FSX68
January 23rd, 2013, 12:40
I too would love to try the duck. Please put me on the list. Thank you...:kilroy:

Paul Domingue
January 23rd, 2013, 13:14
I will package the Duck up and post it. It will be a password protected 7z file and I will PM all who have requested it with the password. The Duck will eventually be available to all when it is completed to my satisfaction but I am not a fast worker and have other things I am working on as well. Consider this a beta release with the intention of stimulating support for a community I very much enjoy and hope will be around for quite a while longer.

The folder I mentioned to Warchild is exclusive to developers and has other things going on there. It would not be feasible to use this location. The proper posting is in the workings and I need to assemble the package. I will post a reply when it is ready.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and support of SOH.

Paul

jetstreamsky
January 23rd, 2013, 13:20
Oh yes, I'd like to try this with the new Accufeel water effects, when she's ready, thanks

Allan

voyager
January 23rd, 2013, 13:26
Beautiful!!!

Please add me to the list.

voyager

Bomber_12th
January 23rd, 2013, 13:50
Excellent work on the Duck, Paul! I love the amount of details you've poured into the project, and hope to be able to fly it in FSX as well.

In-case anyone missed them when they were posted here before, it seems a good time to re-post these again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMzzM7DlRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NnhpIfOCrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFhxiUcsTw

TuFun
January 23rd, 2013, 14:38
I love round engines and two wings... beautiful work Paul! TuFun

FSX68
January 23rd, 2013, 15:05
I like the videos John,

I wonder what that hand crank was for? Was it any thing to do with the canopy?

Bomber_12th
January 23rd, 2013, 15:18
Rich, as Paul would tell you as well, the hand crank is for the landing gear. The Duck, the F3F, and the F4F Wildcat all had pretty much the same retractable undercarriage design, which ran off of chains, ratchets, and gears up to a hand crank in the cockpit. It's an early, simple design, but is very reliable - though it does take more strength and endurance than later hydraulic and electric systems. ; )

mikew
January 23rd, 2013, 16:30
Count me in! I think this is one of the nicest renditions of this aircraft that I've seen. I'd love to put a few hours in on this!

Best Regards,
Mike

MisterKleen
January 23rd, 2013, 16:41
Put me on the list Please!!!!!!!!!:applause::applause::applause:

bentwing
January 23rd, 2013, 16:50
I'd like to give it a shot! Looks great!

Paul Domingue
January 23rd, 2013, 18:29
The Duck has been posted in the Addons and the password has been PMed to all who requested the Duck. If I have forgotten anyone please PM me.

My thanks to Milton for helping me get this squared away.

I hope you enjoy it and if anyone wants to start a new thread on the Bad Duck, please do so.

Anyone else who reads this thread just PM me for the password.

I hope you will enjoy the model and I will work towards improving it.

Don't forget to make your donation to support SOH if you haven't already.

Thank you
Paul

papab
January 23rd, 2013, 18:48
Not there yet..
Rick

Milton Shupe
January 23rd, 2013, 19:34
I am seeing it in the FSX Addons sorted by Date Descending but may be because I am staff. Try this:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=34&id=15248

papab
January 23rd, 2013, 20:00
How do I unzip this file?
Rick

Paul Domingue
January 23rd, 2013, 20:37
How do I unzip this file?
Rick

Rick, It requires 7-Zip. You can get it here. http://www.7-zip.org/

warchild
January 23rd, 2013, 21:15
winrar also works on 7zip files as well.. :)

TuFun
January 23rd, 2013, 21:56
Wow! What an impressive model, had a blast doing some water touch & goes!!!

Tartuffe
January 24th, 2013, 00:55
Thanks again !

Crusader
January 24th, 2013, 02:43
Fits right in here for some brown water landings (Laos) . I know this is a WIP but this bird shows you already have put a heck of a lot of hours into it . It flies and handles very well . Looking forward to some additional paints from our talented group of painters here and try it out on some rivers in New Guinea and other tropical areas .

Thanks again Paul , Great job .

FentiFlier1
January 24th, 2013, 02:56
:ernae:

Paul, am I right in understanding this is your first attempt at an FS model?

Very nice. I love the gauges and detailed parts like the aileron control rods!

Bruce Thompson
January 24th, 2013, 05:01
This ain't no "Bad Duck" it's a "Wonderful Duck"

Thank you Paul, enjoying every second of flying it, love your attention to detail.:applause::salute::applause:.

capun
January 24th, 2013, 09:09
Very nice Duck

FentiFlier1
January 24th, 2013, 09:29
Did it. It took three passes to get it right...
Not the easiest machine to land on a carrier, but what fun! Thanks a lot Paul!

Marvin Carter
January 24th, 2013, 09:32
Paul this plane is just great, if any one is getting nose flip when using brakes, try this.
In the cfg under brakes!!!
toe_brakes_scale=0.50
//toe_brakes_scale=1.0

Thanks again Paul!!!

Paul Domingue
January 24th, 2013, 09:53
Did it. It took three passes to get it right...
Not the easiest machine to land on a carrier, but what fun! Thanks a lot Paul!

Did you actually catch the wire? I have not been able to as of yet and wasn't sure if it was working. I wasn't sure if it would nose over or not.

Paul this plane is just great, if any one is getting nose flip when using brakes, try this.
In the cfg under brakes!!!
toe_brakes_scale=0.50
//toe_brakes_scale=1.0

Thanks again Paul!!!

Great! This is what I was hoping for. I will take any suggestions to improve the model.

tbearflying
January 24th, 2013, 10:06
Paul,

I would be delighted to try your Duck. I have FSX operating with a low grade graphics card but I would like to have the Duck in my hanger.

Thanks for your generous offer.

Tbearflying

modelr
January 24th, 2013, 10:26
Paul,

Looks fantastic. Just downloaded the Duck. How do I get the password?

jojohnson9
January 24th, 2013, 10:50
How do you unzip with 7z? I click to open the file, and get nothing...can't find the Duck file anywhere?

jojohnson9
January 24th, 2013, 11:01
How do you unzip with 7z? I click to open the file, and get nothing...can't find the Duck file anywhere?
Oh nevermind...figured it out. Had a senior moment. Now to check out this Duck.

robcap
January 24th, 2013, 11:13
Paul,

could you send met the password as well please. It's looking great, I folowed the developement post earlier.
I'll be home tomorrow, to give it a shot.

Cheers, and thanks for you gift.

Bye, Rob

Warrant
January 24th, 2013, 11:20
I would surely like a copy! That Duck looks great! :salute:

Ferry_vO
January 24th, 2013, 11:29
:ernae:

Very nice. I love the gauges and detailed parts like the aileron control rods!

Trying moving to the navigator's seat, and then down to the windows between the fuselage and the float. Here you can see that all the controls underneath the cabin floor are modelled in great detail as well!

What a nice aircraft! :applause:

TARPSBird
January 24th, 2013, 11:33
This is a really nice airplane. I did some carrier landings last night on Bruce Fitzgerald's USS Enterprise (CV-6). Worked OK except for the annoying nose-over tendency common to all tail-dragger types in FSX. I move the main gear contact points 2-3 ft forward and that usually cures the nose-overs without changing the visual presentation of the plane on deck. Haven't tried it with the Duck yet. BTW Paul, I'm gonna risk embarrassing myself here and ask, how do you turn the landing lights on??? Hitting the L key doesn't work, nor do the toggles on the RH panel.

Roger
January 24th, 2013, 11:33
First aircraft??? Fantastic:applause:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/01/24/IK4ae.jpg

jungle_balloo
January 24th, 2013, 11:39
Paul,

Thank you for your reply, am I right color? (lol) :wavey:

Paul Domingue
January 24th, 2013, 12:02
Paul,

could you send met the password as well please. It's looking great, I folowed the developement post earlier.
I'll be home tomorrow, to give it a shot.

Cheers, and thanks for you gift.

Bye, Rob

I would surely like a copy! That Duck looks great! :salute:

Send me a PM for the password. I'm making a list of all the people who are trying the Duck for notification of updates as they develop.

Paul,
Thank you for your reply, am I right color? (lol) :wavey:

Thank you jungle_balloo for your support of SOH. Would you PM me once again?

Paul Domingue
January 24th, 2013, 12:06
This is a really nice airplane. I did some carrier landings last night on Bruce Fitzgerald's USS Enterprise (CV-6). Worked OK except for the annoying nose-over tendency common to all tail-dragger types in FSX. I move the main gear contact points 2-3 ft forward and that usually cures the nose-overs without changing the visual presentation of the plane on deck. Haven't tried it with the Duck yet. BTW Paul, I'm gonna risk embarrassing myself here and ask, how do you turn the landing lights on??? Hitting the L key doesn't work, nor do the toggles on the RH panel.

Ah...lights! Sorry just one of many things left to be done such as the gear retraction crank. You will find that there is a lot to be done but eventualy with a little guidence from my friends here, I will get them done.

huub vink
January 24th, 2013, 12:45
I'm an engine lover, so for me this model is really it!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/20130124_2240_zpsdb3ee239.jpg

roger-wilco-66
January 24th, 2013, 13:05
Great aircraft, I love it. Ran a enjoyable patrol flight from Ondonga to Barakoma. Good work!
Paul, your approach of releasing the Duck as it is now is great. It makes me think of releasing the Solomons just here on SOH as a premature version, why not.

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/oYXM1re8w1/Solomon%201943%20Scenery/1-barakoma-pauls-duck.jpg

FentiFlier1
January 24th, 2013, 13:09
Paul, I suppose the tailhook must have worked!

I managed to land by creating a "lean out of the cockpit" view with Opus. I wouldn't have been able to otherwise (don't use TrackIR). Of course you can also use an outside view but that's not the spirit, is it?

According to accufeel I caught the cable on the edge of a stall, couldn't have flown any slower. On thing that made things difficult was the rather weak rudder. Was that the case on the original aircraft?

It nearly nosed over - not all the way to perpendicular. I think fsx would have registered a crash if I hadn't disabled that feature!

BTW, I looked for pictures of ducks on carriers on the web. Couldn't find any. So apparently they weren't used much from carriers?

PS: Thanks Ferry, I'll check out the hidden goodies tomorrow :applause:

FSX68
January 24th, 2013, 13:11
Ah...lights! Sorry just one of many things left to be done such as the gear retraction crank. You will find that there is a lot to be done but eventualy with a little guidence from my friends here, I will get them done.

Enjoy the Bad Duck, Was about to ask about the lights also but I see it is a wip. Thanks Paul for letting me take her for a spin, a real hoot!

:jump:

Dimus
January 24th, 2013, 13:12
Visiting Kermit's lake and playground:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-01-2423-43-07-22_zps4918ace9.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-01-2423-48-13-62_zps550f3afb.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-01-2423-56-45-82_zpsd1a1a861.jpg

I still can't believe this is your first aircraft! Very well done sir! I trust the talented painters here will treat her well.

Thank you again!

FSX68
January 24th, 2013, 13:50
Paul -

FYI,
The plane will stop when I squeeze the brake switch but I don't see the red "brakes" in the lower left corner like I do with other aircraft?

Edit: Brake verbage appears in lower left corner. Diffrential Brakes when applies also appear.

TARPSBird
January 24th, 2013, 14:52
Paul, thanks for the reply. No big deal, forgot that you were still working on it. :salute:

TuFun
January 24th, 2013, 15:46
A fun aircraft to splash in the water!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2013-01-2415-02-51-85.jpg

OleBoy
January 24th, 2013, 15:52
This Duck, has me very optimistic in what's to come from your modeling abilities.
For someone who does this for fun, I feel it's more fun for the ones on the receiving end, Santa. :santahat: :icon_lol:

hawkeye52
January 24th, 2013, 15:52
Sign me up, please. :jump:

- H52

Paul Domingue
January 24th, 2013, 18:21
Great aircraft, I love it. Ran a enjoyable patrol flight from Ondonga to Barakoma. Good work!
Paul, your approach of releasing the Duck as it is now is great. It makes me think of releasing the Solomons just here on SOH as a premature version, why not.

Yes Please Please!

Sign me up, please. :jump:

- H52

hawkeye52 send me a PM

Cag40Navy
January 24th, 2013, 20:20
Oh yea... thats a winner! :jump: :mixedsmi: :icon29: :guinness: :wiggle: :ernae: :jump:

Thank you Paul!

TARPSBird
January 25th, 2013, 01:11
More CV interaction, this time with Yanco's USS Enterprise (CV-6). No crashing nose-overs when I ran out the wire. :applause: I did bump the front of the float a couple times, but the plane came back on its tail. I think I'll move the main gear contact points about 2 ft forward and see if that cures the nose-over tendency. Paul, my compliments, this Duck is a class act.

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2013, 02:13
Thank you for your enthusiasm and support of SOH.

Paul

Thank you in advance for this wonderful aircraft. I am a longtime supporter, but will wait until you are finished with this magnificent creation! Thank you sir!

Navy Chief

ferondoe
January 25th, 2013, 03:20
A few pics to show how the J2F-5 Duck is coming along. All the gauges are 3d and a good portion of them work correctly, some need adjusting and some are still waiting coding. The flight dynamics are getting close to giving the aircraft a realistic feeling but need some fine tuning. It is quite an enjoyable aircraft to fly now. Exceeding engine design limits will cause failure. It is a native FSX-A aircraft (sorry FS9 users) and I designed the VC with TrackIR in mind so there are a few things and animations in the VC that can only be seen with TrackIR.

A few people now have a copy and I'm seriously considering making it available to forum members, as it is, with updates available as they develop if any are interested. I have a paint kit in PSD format I will also post for those who would like to give it a different look.

If you are interested in flying the "Bad Duck" I have only one requirement, you must be RED. Let me know.

Hello Paul,

I am interested in your beautiful Duck I managed to download the paint kit but there is a password and I do not know.
with all my thanks
Marty

voyager
January 25th, 2013, 04:06
Thank you Paul! Enjoying the Bad Duck very much!

voyager

Bruce Thompson
January 25th, 2013, 04:14
A fun aircraft to splash in the water!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2013-01-2415-02-51-85.jpg

That's a great photograph TuFun.:applause::applause::applause:

Bomber_12th
January 25th, 2013, 05:17
Having had the chance to fly the aircraft in the sim last night, superb work through and through, Paul! What a fun aircraft to fly (just as the real Duck is) - I've always loved the utility nature of the aircraft, with the ability to land just about anywhere, and carry just about anything you want. Out of all of the aircraft in his collection, Kermit Weeks often cites his Grumman Duck (one of two he owns) as being his favorite (but he also has the perfect airfield property to operate one, with both grass runways and a lake big enough to operate a Sunderland from).

Here are a few screens I attempted. I've got a carrier sailing out in Chesapeake Bay, so I flew out there and made a successful carrier trap on my first shot at it - you can just tell by the design, with the position and length of the tail hook, that you have to land very slow and make a three-pointer out of it. I ended up stalling at about 1-foot off the deck, just plopping it down into the arrestor cables, and it made a good trap.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/raiden/pauls_duck_7.jpg

Bomber_12th
January 25th, 2013, 05:23
This evening I'm going to attempt to put together a repaint of this J2F-5, unless someone else already might be working on it: http://avionswwii.free.fr/images/avions/Grumman_J2F/GrummanJ2f_9.jpg

diabzy
January 25th, 2013, 05:51
Great series!

Sieggie
January 25th, 2013, 07:37
Hello Paul,

I am interested in your beautiful Duck I managed to download the paint kit but there is a password and I do not know.
with all my thanks
Marty

Ferondoe,

Your name must be RED to get the password at this time. It is a special for SOH Charter Members (ie. contributors).

Dave

Dimus
January 25th, 2013, 09:57
I really don't want to sound critical at such a gift but maybe something can be done to the crew's eyes. They seem terrified!

dvj
January 25th, 2013, 10:36
This evening I'm going to attempt to put together a repaint of this J2F-5, unless someone else already might be working on it: http://avionswwii.free.fr/images/avions/Grumman_J2F/GrummanJ2f_9.jpg

If you do that, I'd like to see a little weathering. As lovely as this model is, I always prefer a little wear and tear on my skins.

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2013, 10:49
Oh yea... thats a winner! :jump: :mixedsmi: :icon29: :guinness: :wiggle: :ernae: :jump:

Thank you Paul!

So why aren't you flying it? :salute:

More CV interaction, this time with Yanco's USS Enterprise (CV-6). No crashing nose-overs when I ran out the wire. :applause: I did bump the front of the float a couple times, but the plane came back on its tail. I think I'll move the main gear contact points about 2 ft forward and see if that cures the nose-over tendency. Paul, my compliments, this Duck is a class act.

Keep me posted on that and I'll add the changes to the model.

I really don't want to sound critical at such a gift but maybe something can be done to the crew's eyes. They seem terrified!

Criticism is a good thing, it helps me improve on the Duck more then a pat on the back but the pat on the back does feel good.
I hate making people and I was not going to put a pilot in until the last but it looks stupid without one. I cut the head off an old DAZ Studio Don model that I imported as a 3ds file and reduced the poly count. You may have noticed they have no hands. Eventually I will fix the pilot and observer but for now the aircraft is of primary concern. Radio equipment is what I'm working on now.
After studying many schematics and photographs of the interior construction I would be scared to with all the late 1930s mechanical construction holding this aircraft together.

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2013, 10:56
If you do that, I'd like to see a little weathering. As lovely as this model is, I always prefer a little wear and tear on my skins.

Actually with all my reading on the US Navy version of this aircraft the exterior was kept pristine during service but the interior was neglected and that is where all the scratched paint and wear-and-tear was noticeable. I'm not a texture artist so I have not attempted to reflect this in the interior. Maybe later.

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2013, 11:03

I'm looking forward to it. The photo shows one area that I have been battling with and that is the side view of the prop in rotation. It looks like crap right now and I want it to look as it does in the photo. Since that version of the Hamilton Standard prop had no cover over the prop angle mechanism I haven't been able to make it look solid while looking blurred. I'm not giving up on it as I have some ideas I need to try.

ramjet
January 25th, 2013, 11:05
Hi Paul,

I'm also a supporter of the bandwidth drive so when my name goes red I'd really enjoy a copy of your Ducky, thank you. Its beautiful and I have A2A water drag effects so it should be a fun ride. The cockpit looks very crisp and complete, nice work.

Cal

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2013, 11:21
Hi Paul,

I'm also a supporter of the bandwidth drive so when my name goes red I'd really enjoy a copy of your Ducky, thank you. Its beautiful and I have A2A water drag effects so it should be a fun ride. The cockpit looks very crisp and complete, nice work.

Cal

Thank you, PM me when red.

Ian Warren
January 25th, 2013, 11:32
the crew's eyes. They seem terrified!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:Really made me laugh .. "WHAT YA LOOKING AT" :icon_lol: ... I ducked out on this one , better go and grab it :cool:

Dimus
January 25th, 2013, 12:28
Criticism is a good thing, it helps me improve on the Duck more then a pat on the back but the pat on the back does feel good.
I hate making people and I was not going to put a pilot in until the last but it looks stupid without one. I cut the head off an old DAZ Studio Don model that I imported as a 3ds file and reduced the poly count. You may have noticed they have no hands. Eventually I will fix the pilot and observer but for now the aircraft is of primary concern. Radio equipment is what I'm working on now.
After studying many schematics and photographs of the interior construction I would be scared to with all the late 1930s mechanical construction holding this aircraft together.

Your 3d work is amazing on the mechanics. People must be really hard to do, and these figures are not bad at all. Perhaps just some painting will make them better.

I just enjoyed a circuit of bumps on grass runway, water and the Hornet carrier off the Pacific island of Nissan. I like the flight model. Can't say if it's accurate or not but it feels right. Also love how the Duck handles in the water. Great work all around!

Looking forward to the development.

Marvin Carter
January 25th, 2013, 12:48
Paul will you be putting a vertical speed indicator in the panel!!!

TuFun
January 25th, 2013, 17:13
I did some minor changes I thought I would try on the Duck... like sync the prop on shut down. You will notice the mechanics of the engine whines down to a stop the prop is now synced to stop at that point. I hope that makes sense. ;) I'm new to effects, so I created a startup smoke effects, but not sure how to do the other stack on the left side, if its even possible. I have to explore that some more. Also create a new prop for my Duck! :cool: Here's a video of what I've done so far. Love this aircraft, especially water landings and takeoffs!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-xkVgBr0Q

OleBoy
January 25th, 2013, 17:46
I think in order to get the smoke effects to work on the other header, Paul will have to add a 2nd particle effect hidden inside the pipe.

jetstreamsky
January 25th, 2013, 18:25
Just add a second line entry in the smoke section using smoke.1 (if the existing one is smoke.0) with adjusted coordinates for the other exhaust.

Paul Domingue
January 25th, 2013, 19:39
Paul will you be putting a vertical speed indicator in the panel!!!

The aircraft didn't have a VSI so it's not getting one. I don't think the -6 had one either. If you see one in a restoration it's an upgrade not OEM.

I did some minor changes I thought I would try on the Duck... like sync the prop on shut down. You will notice the mechanics of the engine whines down to a stop the prop is now synced to stop at that point. I hope that makes sense. ;) I'm new to effects, so I created a startup smoke effects, but not sure how to do the other stack on the left side, if its even possible. I have to explore that some more. Also create a new prop for my Duck! :cool: Here's a video of what I've done so far. Love this aircraft, especially water landings and takeoffs!!!

OleBoy has it right, I have hidden polys in the pipes which I want to attach exhaust and flame effects too. The effects have to be attached and compiled with the model. jetstreamsky's method will also work. I want a temp yellow flame for startup and a constant pulsing blue flame for night time. I have not attempted to make any effects (something new to learn) I was hoping I could find some already made that I could use.

BTW, I love the videos. The prop has givin me fits so I'm happy to see an improvement. :jump:

TuFun
January 26th, 2013, 09:27
This is the prop disk I started working on... give it a try, back up your original!

pajamapilot
January 26th, 2013, 09:32
Looks like a great flyer. send me the password please. T. semper fi, rvn 65 66

Paul Domingue
January 26th, 2013, 11:52
Looks like a great flyer. send me the password please. T. semper fi, rvn 65 66

PM me if you haven't already.

FSX68
January 26th, 2013, 12:09
This is the prop disk I started working on... give it a try, back up your original!

Thanks, still wondering how you accomplished the startup smoke,

Thanks

glennc
January 26th, 2013, 13:48
Paul, (enter key not working on this forum, can't make paragraphs). Got it, thanks for the quick response to the PM. First flight, like everyone else says - she loves to fly. She's a good looking girl. I have a Logitech G-940. Since there is no force feed back section in aircraft.cfg, ground handling is almost impossible, The stick goes side to side with a lot of force. Water and air handling is a lot better, very nice actually. -Glenn

Firekitten
January 26th, 2013, 13:53
Absolutely beautiful pictures Paul! its gorgeous!

Paul Domingue
January 26th, 2013, 14:23
Paul, (enter key not working on this forum, can't make paragraphs). Got it, thanks for the quick response to the PM. First flight, like everyone else says - she loves to fly. She's a good looking girl. I have a Logitech G-940. Since there is no force feed back section in aircraft.cfg, ground handling is almost impossible, The stick goes side to side with a lot of force. Water and air handling is a lot better, very nice actually. -Glenn

I have the the Saitek X52 so I haven't thought about FFB. I'll have to dig out and plug in my old Sidewinder FFB 2 and try it.

Bone
January 26th, 2013, 14:53
Nice model, I'd love to get a copy.

TuFun
January 26th, 2013, 21:16
Got my particles straighten out... now have both pipes ah smoking!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrddFJEUFzQ

familton
January 26th, 2013, 21:46
Great smoke. Now can you work on exhaust flames too? Regards, Bob.

ferondoe
January 27th, 2013, 09:15
Ferondoe,

Your name must be RED to get the password at this time. It is a special for SOH Charter Members (ie. contributors).

Dave

Sorry !
Marty

FentiFlier1
January 27th, 2013, 09:30
Nice to know you are sticking to period instruments, Paul!

Here's a question for painters: which utility would you advise for converting .psd files to .bmp? Thanks.

Owen.

FSX68
January 27th, 2013, 09:32

Prop will spin a few revs after the shutdown sounds are gone. Not quite like your video. I DID back up the original dds file. Did I miss some Magic here?

Still would like to know how you got the twin exhaust smoke. But thats Ok. I am of an pioneering ambitious spirit and if I should discover I sure will SHARE my works
with others. I did with the lights. This I do to advance a worthy cause.

TuFun
January 27th, 2013, 10:21
Startup smoke effects for Bad Duck... also, settings for prop sync with the engine sound on shutdown.

dvj
January 27th, 2013, 10:44
Startup smoke effects for Bad Duck... also, settings for prop sync with the engine sound on shutdown.

Outstanding! Reallly appreciate your work!

dvj
January 27th, 2013, 12:49

TuFunn, can provide the installation instructions for the smoke effects? I've put in the effects folder, need to know what to edit in the config file. Prop sync installed no problem.

d

FSX68
January 27th, 2013, 12:50

Thank you sir for your help... Little by little with all the enhancement/improvements, she is a joy to fly.

FSX68
January 27th, 2013, 13:39
TuFunn, can provide the installation instructions for the smoke effects? I've put in the effects folder, need to know what to edit in the config file. Prop sync installed no problem.

d

DVJ,

Perhaps I can help, it's the least I can do to pay forward Tufun's help:

Look in your aircraft.cfg file look for effects section

[effects]

wake = fx_wake
water = fx_spray
waterspeed = fx_spray
dirt = fx_tchdrt
concrete = fx_sparks
touchdown = fx_tchdwn_s, 1
//contrail =
startup = fx_Cranky_Duck_TFF.fx//////fx_SOH_1820_startupv2 <<<<<<i added="" the="" fx_cranky_duck_tff.fx="" entry="" here="" followed="" with="" slashes=""
This is where I made entry (in red)

this worked for me anyway.
BTW, Your photo of the DUCK is really nice !!!!!! ^^^
</i>

FSX68
January 27th, 2013, 14:20

TuFun
January 27th, 2013, 14:23
If you have the OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux, then you will have the wave/spray effects also. Same effects in my videos.

In your aircraft.cfg file in the effects section and the startup effects is in the effects section also.

[effects]
wake=fx_wake_Goose_Redux
water=fx_spray_Goose_Redux

startup=fx_Cranky_Duck_TFF

dvj
January 27th, 2013, 16:02
If you have the OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux, then you will have the wave/spray effects also. Same effects in my videos.

In your aircraft.cfg file in the effects section and the startup effects is in the effects section also.

[effects]
wake=fx_wake_Goose_Redux
water=fx_spray_Goose_Redux

startup=fx_Cranky_Duck_TFF

Ah, I had not added _TFF to the config.

dvj
January 27th, 2013, 16:05
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2703/badduck.jpg

THibben
January 27th, 2013, 18:16
The interior of of my download of Bad Duck is a light tan and not very detailed. Am I missing something? From the screen shots I have seen the panel is black.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Tom Hibben

TuFun
January 27th, 2013, 20:30
Revised startup effects for Bad Duck... now with flickering flames!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9aIfUxW0U

familton
January 27th, 2013, 22:00
Hi. I installed the effect and made the change in the aircraft.cfg. I get the startup smoke effect but no flickering exhaust like is shown in the video.Are there two effects or just one? Thanks, Bob.

Bruce Thompson
January 28th, 2013, 01:42
What a Great Thread this is, not only is it Paul's first aircraft and a wonderful one at that,
but it also shows the amount of help by others on this forum to make it even better.
For freeware aircraft to attract this much attention shows why SOH is the place to be if you
are into Flight Simulation, it's a vast knowledge bank of like minded folk and I thank Paul and all of you
who have helped with this wonderful aircraft.:salute::salute::salute:

TuFun
January 28th, 2013, 08:27
Hi. I installed the effect and made the change in the aircraft.cfg. I get the startup smoke effect but no flickering exhaust like is shown in the video.Are there two effects or just one? Thanks, Bob.

The effects consist of two textures... fx_1.bmp (smoke) and fx_2.bmp (flame). They are located in the main effects folder in the texture sub-folder. Check to see if you have both textures.

These are the ones you'll need...

FentiFlier1
January 28th, 2013, 09:15
Thanks for the effects, guys!

Here's some videos of the Duck that are interesting for people who aren't already familiar with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMzzM7DlRg

familton
January 28th, 2013, 09:19
HI. Thanks. I do have both of the bmp's. I downloaded and installed the first version which had the same filename as the updated one. I guess I did not overwrite the original effect when I unzipped the update. I'll try it and see if that was my problem. Regards, Bob.

TuFun
January 30th, 2013, 11:06
Awesome flyby's of the Grumman Duck... I thought I would do one myself. Mixed a few sounds trying to get that loud rumble. Not perfect, but sounds cool anyways.

The real deal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQg_wHKaOU

Paul's Bad Duck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuVaWWmrhY

familton
January 30th, 2013, 11:23
Hi. Thanks for the great first video. The second one says it is private. Regards, Bob.

Sieggie
January 30th, 2013, 11:25
Tufun,

YouTube says your video is private.

Dave

TuFun
January 30th, 2013, 14:29
Ah... I keep forgetting to change that when I do these videos... now available.

Bruce Thompson
January 30th, 2013, 14:36
Thanks for the video links TuFun, that one in your vid sounds great, what sounds are you using?

familton
January 30th, 2013, 14:37
Hi. Thanks. Great video. What great scenery and sounds are you using? Bob.

TuFun
January 30th, 2013, 18:11
Thanks for the video links TuFun, that one in your vid sounds great, what sounds are you using?

Hi. Thanks. Great video. What great scenery and sounds are you using? Bob.

Sounds are by Mike Hambly, designed for the Gee Bee Racer... Filename: ba_gbr.zip

What I did is replaced xGGoos_RPMf02, 03, 04 and xGGoos_RPMr02, 03, 04 both left and right wav files with xte2, xte3, xte4 from ba_gbr. You will need to rename the xte files according to the xGoos file names.

Scenery is by ORBX... Bowerman!

Paul Domingue
January 31st, 2013, 07:38
Another great video TuFun! I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling watching it.

Was the zip file supposed to be a link?

BrittMac
January 31st, 2013, 08:39
Paul, this thing looks fun. I wouldn't mind getting some radial water time in this afternoon, could you send me a PM?
Thanks for uploading, the screenshots look great.
Brandon

kilo delta
January 31st, 2013, 10:03
Another great video TuFun! I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling watching it.

Was the zip file supposed to be a link?

The file is available at Flightsim,Paul...

<center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Sound</center><center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">CFS2/FS2000/FS2002/FS2004 Gee Bee Sound
</center><center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 15px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=90612) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?113-Zip-View&cm=list&fid=90612) ]</center>
Name: ba_gbr.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=90612)
Size: 6,752,127 Date: 07-05-2005 Downloads: 7,401

http://www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles/k/ba_gbr.gif
CFS2/FS2000/FS2002/FS2004 Gee Bee Sound. A complete upgraded sound set for the Gee-Bee Racer, compiled for use in all three sims, CFS2, FS2000 and FS2002. Sampled at 22050-16 bit mono PCF Format. All files are tagged with BA copyright. By Mike Hambly (BlueArrowFS).

PS. Can I have the password too? I'd love to try out the Duck.:)

Paul Domingue
January 31st, 2013, 11:05
PS. Can I have the password too? I'd love to try out the Duck.:)

You got it, Toyota.

Bruce Thompson
January 31st, 2013, 11:12
Thanks for sound advise TuFun, downloaded the zip and renamed the files as you instructed in your post above.

Wow is all I can say, it sounds great on my 5.1 sound system now and with the bass shaker turned on on my seat,
I just can't stop flying it.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul you have to try this sound idea of TuFun' s it really brings your Duck to life.

sepp666
January 31st, 2013, 22:36
Hello Paul, will you release the Bad Duck for everyone?

Paul Domingue
February 1st, 2013, 09:30
Hello Paul, will you release the Bad Duck for everyone?

The early release of the "Bad Duck" was made only as a way of stimulating more support for SOH. If it were not for that I would be the only one flying the aircraft model. I was hesitant to release it because it is an uncompleted model. I'm am happy to say that the early release did help (if only in a small way) our favorite flight simulation site to stay around intact for another year.
To answer your question, the "Bad Duck" will be released to all when it is completed. To do so now would be a slap in the face to those who did contribute to SOH because of the Duck. Consider a payware company releasing a new model for sale and then a month later they release it as freeware. All the people who had purchased it would be quite upset.
With the abandonment of Flight Simulator by Microsoft and Prepare3d being a whole other ball of wax there has been a decline in the flight simulator world. This means it will become harder to keep noncommercial related sites running. So we have to consider, what is going to happen next year? Will there be enough support to keep SOH running? If the Duck can continue to generate support then we will have a head start for 2014.
I know not everybody can afford to donate due to monetary situations in the real world but I think (and this is just my opinion) that it is a rare case among registered members. I have to consider a person who has a computer, which is no minor expense, who will probably run down to the computer store the moment something goes wrong with it, pays a monthly fee to an IP so they can stay connected to the Internet and in all likelihood has purchased at least one payware add-on for their hobby can afford a small supporting donation, the price of a burger and fries or a pack of cigarettes or a six pack of beer.
So in closing, you can have the Duck in one of two ways, by donation or by waiting till its finished. Those who have donated will also receive updates as they develop.

sepp666
February 1st, 2013, 10:49
The early release of the "Bad Duck" was made only as a way of stimulating more support for SOH. If it were not for that I would be the only one flying the aircraft model. I was hesitant to release it because it is an uncompleted model. I'm am happy to say that the early release did help (if only in a small way) our favorite flight simulation site to stay around intact for another year.
To answer your question, the "Bad Duck" will be released to all when it is completed. To do so now would be a slap in the face to those who did contribute to SOH because of the Duck. Consider a payware company releasing a new model for sale and then a month later they release it as freeware. All the people who had purchased it would be quite upset.
With the abandonment of Flight Simulator by Microsoft and Prepare3d being a whole other ball of wax there has been a decline in the flight simulator world. This means it will become harder to keep noncommercial related sites running. So we have to consider, what is going to happen next year? Will there be enough support to keep SOH running? If the Duck can continue to generate support then we will have a head start for 2014.
I know not everybody can afford to donate due to monetary situations in the real world but I think (and this is just my opinion) that it is a rare case among registered members. I have to consider a person who has a computer, which is no minor expense, who will probably run down to the computer store the moment something goes wrong with it, pays a monthly fee to an IP so they can stay connected to the Internet and in all likelihood has purchased at least one payware add-on for their hobby can afford a small supporting donation, the price of a burger and fries or a pack of cigarettes or a six pack of beer.
So in closing, you can have the Duck in one of two ways, by donation or by waiting till its finished. Those who have donated will also receive updates as they develop.
Thank you for that explanation Sir.

FSX68
February 1st, 2013, 12:40

Paul,

Was wondering with all the "help" i.e., other talented folks adding smoke and flames and lights and things, (hey - that rhymes), if you will ultimately add your own finishing touches to complete it?
I remember at the onset that you made mention that you planned on adding lights and other things, smoke/flame effect and so will you be up to releasing it with all your final embellishments?

Cheers,
:kilroy:

FentiFlier1
February 1st, 2013, 13:52
Paul, I agree with you entirely. And I think "donationware" systems could be used more.

Owen.

aircav1970
February 1st, 2013, 14:06
Paul,just wanted to say Thank You for this wonderful aircraft,I know it's not finished yet but all I can say is "wow" this is really a payware quality piece!Here's a shot in ORBx's PNW scenery....

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af147/FSXFlyer/The%20Collector/2013-1-28_12-12-40-967.jpg

TuFun
February 1st, 2013, 16:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzDG-SkWGJI

Paul Domingue
February 1st, 2013, 21:45
Paul,

Was wondering with all the "help" i.e., other talented folks adding smoke and flames and lights and things, (hey - that rhymes), if you will ultimately add your own finishing touches to complete it?
I remember at the onset that you made mention that you planned on adding lights and other things, smoke/flame effect and so will you be up to releasing it with all your final embellishments?

Cheers,
:kilroy:

I don't quite understand the question. I'm delighted that people find the Duck worth the effort of adding enhancements to what is an incomplete model. Will I be up to releasing it? I've already stated that in my last post. Embellishments? Now there's an understatement.

As far as the lights are concerned my intentions are to model them and write the xml code that will turn them on through the bank of switches in the VC. There will be no need for a light section in the cfg and there will be no keyboard method of turning them on. You will have to throw the switches in the VC for them to work.

FSX68
February 2nd, 2013, 04:29
I don't quite understand the question. I'm delighted that people find the Duck worth the effort of adding enhancements to what is an incomplete model. Will I be up to releasing it? I've already stated that in my last post. Embellishments? Now there's an understatement.

As far as the lights are concerned my intentions are to model them and write the xml code that will turn them on through the bank of switches in the VC. There will be no need for a light section in the cfg and there will be no keyboard method of turning them on. You will have to throw the switches in the VC for them to work.

Paul,
To simplify my previous question(s)....Will you be adding exhaust (Smoke/flame) effects....Tufun already did and it works pretty good. I kinda get your drift about the external lights.
For the interim, I managed to gin up external lights for my own use; So I guess it sounds like you will be putting more polish on the old Bad Duck in the form of lights, perhaps exhaust
effects? n'est-ce pas?

Paul Domingue
February 2nd, 2013, 08:12
Paul,
To simplify my previous question(s)....Will you be adding exhaust (Smoke/flame) effects....Tufun already did and it works pretty good. I kinda get your drift about the external lights.
For the interim, I managed to gin up external lights for my own use; So I guess it sounds like you will be putting more polish on the old Bad Duck in the form of lights, perhaps exhaust
effects? n'est-ce pas?

The whole thing has been a long learning process. The modeling software, making textures, the SDK, flight dynamics, XML, etc. I want to learn about effects as well and try my hand a it. For the time being the effects and sounds that TuFun has used are a nice addition and make the Duck that more enjoyable to fly. At present I don't know what I will do for the release to the general public which is a way down the road still. I may contact the authors of these additions and ask to use them or I may not use them. I'll have to ask my wife.:icon32:

TuFun
February 2nd, 2013, 10:37
I'm new to creating effects and the Duck is the second aircraft I did effects for and first in altering engine effects. These are just something I put together in the meantime that bring excitement to this awesome model. Paul may have something different in mind, and I'm all for him in creating something totally different. It's his baby, and If it was my baby I would probably try to create my own effects as well. It's such an enjoyable aircraft to fly and record videos for!!! Now back to the Howard! -TuFun

dvj
February 2nd, 2013, 11:05

Nice!! No funky music, just the music of the engine.

FSX68
February 2nd, 2013, 12:01
It's his baby, <<< I concur. I would probably try to create my own effects as well. It's such an enjoyable aircraft to fly and record videos for!!! Now back to the Howard! -TuFun

I just was asking Paul if there will be any additional enhancements to his duck...or if we can anticipate future developments which

is a very nice work of art. Some people are blessed with talents on loan from God.

I've been a Flight Sim user since fs5 circa 1982 by Bruce Artwick. Still have the blue book. Used it in my Tandy 1000 back in the day.

Since then, tech world has evolved and what I learned/know about flight sim in the beginning has evaporated into extinction.

FSX68
February 3rd, 2013, 11:07
Sounds are by Mike Hambly, designed for the Gee Bee Racer... Filename: ba_gbr.zip

What I did is replaced xGGoos_RPMf02, 03, 04 and xGGoos_RPMr02, 03, 04 both left and right wav files with xte2, xte3, xte4 from ba_gbr. You will need to rename the xte files according to the xGoos file names.

Scenery is by ORBX... Bowerman!

I never would of thought to associate/integrate some of the Gee bee sounds...Thanks for your tip. :salute:

Crusader
February 3rd, 2013, 14:01
Any repaints surfaced yet ? I know that
"Bomber" (John) was working on one but have not seen any others .

Rich

Paul Domingue
February 3rd, 2013, 18:12

N2056
February 3rd, 2013, 18:21
Bare Naked Radial! :ernae:

jankees
February 5th, 2013, 08:00
Here are some very early wip shots of my first repaints for the Duck:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4603.jpg

as you can see I am still figuring out which bit goes where:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4601.jpg

and the same on the other side:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4606.jpg

but I have a problem below:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4592.jpg

I only did one roundel below the wings, so it would seem the textures of the bottom wings are mirrored (even though both are present in the psd files).
I think this is also the case for both halves of the main float and the textures of the little floats. The underside of the small floats is even mirrored four times I believe?
Do you think you can change this in a next version Paul? Mirrored textures are very unpleasant for the painter, and I believe there is still ample room in the texture lay-out.

THibben
February 5th, 2013, 10:16
Paul,

For some reason my interior is all light tan in color. I have seen interiors with a black panel.

I must have installed something incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom Hibben

jankees
February 5th, 2013, 10:54
a bit more progress:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4614.jpg

I toned down the lines and rivets a bit:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4621.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4624.jpg

still a long way to go, but that is for next weekend...

Paul Domingue
February 5th, 2013, 10:59
I only did one roundel below the wings, so it would seem the textures of the bottom wings are mirrored (even though both are present in the psd files).
I think this is also the case for both halves of the main float and the textures of the little floats. The underside of the small floats is even mirrored four times I believe?
Do you think you can change this in a next version Paul? Mirrored textures are very unpleasant for the painter, and I believe there is still ample room in the texture lay-out.

I was getting ready to make a post about repaints but about something else entirely. Thanks for pointing these errors out. A quick explanation, with the wing, I laid the textures out, then a problem in construction occurred and after the repair I mirrored the lower wing. Since the paint was symetrical I didn't notice I was reflecting only one side of the textures. The outriggers got a double whammy since I mirrored them and overlaid right and left sides. There is room for the placement of all surfaces of the outriggers and the opposit side of the pontoon. I'll correct the model and generate the additional UVW maps. All the current UVWs will remain intact.
The reason I was originally going to post is the rear turret canopy skirt. I had forgotten that it's on the VC map since the canopy is shared from the VC model. I will move the UVWs for this part to one of the external texture maps. Once I get these things corrected I'll post an updated model.

What a joy it is to see the first repaint WIP and thank you for helping me improve the "Bad Duck".

Paul

PS, I have additional information that is off interest to repainters anyone who wishes to contact me via email please feel free to do so.
lpad@cox.net

Paul Domingue
February 5th, 2013, 11:59
Paul,

For some reason my interior is all light tan in color. I have seen interiors with a black panel.

I must have installed something incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom Hibben

Is it the VC interior or the external model cockpit you are talking about?

THibben
February 5th, 2013, 12:10
Is it the VC interior or the external model cockpit you are talking about?

The VC interior.

Thanks,

Tom

THibben
February 5th, 2013, 12:21

Hope this helps,

Tom

FSX68
February 5th, 2013, 12:54

Hope this helps,

Tom

Yeah, I get that too.

FSX68
February 5th, 2013, 12:55
a bit more progress:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4614.jpg

I toned down the lines and rivets a bit:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4621.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/ss4624.jpg

still a long way to go, but that is for next weekend...

Very nice...love that color :applause:

Paul Domingue
February 5th, 2013, 17:00

Hope this helps,

Tom

I believe this is a difference between our monitors color management settings.
Most of the colors I use have RGB settings from www.simmerspaintshop.com (http://www.simmerspaintshop.com) color charts so I know they are correct as far as Simmers Paint Shop's listings.

THibben
February 5th, 2013, 18:03
Paul,

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Bruce Thompson
February 5th, 2013, 19:27
I believe this is a difference between our monitors color management settings.
Most of the colors I use have RGB settings from www.simmerspaintshop.com (http://www.simmerspaintshop.com) color charts so I know they are correct as far as Simmers Paint Shop's listings.

Paul mine looks like your top photo when I load the aircraft, if I then click the panel light switch it goes to black like your second photo.
I just have to remember to doit when I first start up.

Bruce.

Paul Domingue
February 6th, 2013, 09:22
Brilliant! Bruce you hit it on the head. They have the default FSX interior lights on. I should have known that the images regardless of the monitor should be the same when viewed side-by-side because the RGB color values are the same. :icon29:

GaryGB
February 6th, 2013, 11:04
A quick question for TuFun regarding the videos:

In FireFox while logged in at SOH, I cannot see the videos or any links to them.

Are these at YouTube... and if so, where can I find them ? :ques:

Thanks for inspiring us about flying this excellent aircraft in FSX ! :salute:

GaryGB

TuFun
February 6th, 2013, 16:32
A quick question for TuFun regarding the videos:

In FireFox while logged in at SOH, I cannot see the videos or any links to them.

Are these at YouTube... and if so, where can I find them ? :ques:

Thanks for inspiring us about flying this excellent aircraft in FSX ! :salute:

GaryGB

Here you go Gary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04e7wbyJ4KU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxTfkmnDkDs

GaryGB
February 6th, 2013, 22:33
OUTSTANDING... especially that 2nd video ! :icon_eek:

Now that's what I call (you)TU(be)Fun ! :jump:

< Dang, now I'm thinking so much about flying that awesome amphibian, I can't get any scenery work done ! > :icon_lol:

Many thanks to Paul and "TuFun".

GaryGB

jankees
February 8th, 2013, 22:44
still plugging away at my first Duck paint...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Duck/ss4645.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Duck/ss4649.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Duck/ss4658.jpg

huub vink
February 9th, 2013, 02:23
Looks nice Jan Kees! Will you add some (severe) weathering?

Cheers,
Huub

jankees
February 9th, 2013, 04:40
quite possibly, but first I need to finish the paint, and there are so many little bits and pieces to find...

Paul Domingue
February 9th, 2013, 10:28
quite possibly, but first I need to finish the paint, and there are so many little bits and pieces to find...

My apologies for that. I am in the process of improving the paint kit with an ID overlay of the parts.

jankees
February 10th, 2013, 06:13
no worries Paul

The Duck gets more and more use, and as a consequence, gets dirtier..

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Duck/ss4765.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Duck/ss4769.jpg

Paul Domingue
February 10th, 2013, 09:21
It's looking very nice.
My original paint is of a utility squadron that was based at NAS Jacksonville. What squadron is this paint based on?

jankees
February 10th, 2013, 13:40
ah, you caught me there...I have no idea. It is loosely based on a series of pics I found of a flying duck..

Bomber_12th
February 10th, 2013, 14:24
I love the three-tone scheme, Jankees!

peter12213
February 10th, 2013, 15:44
Great work Jankees, can't get enough of this aircraft it's fantastic, I've been slowly exploring the west coast of the UK at about 80mph lol.

roger-wilco-66
February 10th, 2013, 22:52
I found another view of that paint scheme in my image repository:

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/YgsfoZIulA/MISC/Grum-Duck.jpg?token_hash=AAFEUcZgd3Ow1k90OqcXtSnADSles9 CKxCocJq5OXuBWGA

Paul Domingue
February 11th, 2013, 15:30
To the best of my knowledge the first picture posted by jankees is a -6 model in USN three tone camouflage (dark blue, light blue and white) built by the Columbia Aircraft Company in New York for the USCG, late 1944 - 45. The second picture posted by roger-wilco-66 is a -5 (same color scheme) built by Grumman also for the USCG around 1944. They were most likely based out of NY or other North Atlantic USCG stations. I have records of the USN utility squadrons but not the USCG.

Paul Domingue
February 20th, 2013, 11:14
I've added the model for the -2, -3 and-4. The -6 is in the works. There is now an updated and much improvedpaint kit that is for all models. I have applied a spec map and theglobal environment reflection map to the models. I still need to do alittle more work on them.

Here is a version of the -4. USNsquadron VJ-4 stationed at NAS Squantum, Massachusetts in 1940. Thesquadron colors were all silver gray. The squadron leader's aircraftwas the only one with the red and yellow paint.

CG_1976
February 20th, 2013, 11:40
USCG Ducks where the Grumman JF-2/J2F-5/6 Duck. The duck list was available on the USCG official site, but the link there went south and thus I have issued a gripe to our webmaster.

Paul Domingue
February 20th, 2013, 12:01
USCG Ducks where the Grumman JF-2/J2F-5/6 Duck. The duck list was available on the USCG official site, but the link there went south and thus I have issued a gripe to our webmaster.

I would love to get a hold on as much info on the USCG ducks as possible. Keep me posted please.

Paul

CG_1976
February 20th, 2013, 12:20
I would love to get a hold on as much info on the USCG ducks as possible. Keep me posted please.

Paul

Will do, I'm on the horn right now as I type with the USCG museum.

Interesting enough, Jim Dhaenens recently released Floyd Bennett scenery and here is one of the USCG's Ducks from there.