PDA

View Full Version : New PC XP or Vista

grahamfox
January 6th, 2009, 07:02
I am just about to order a new PC from Cybepower here in the UK and I am thinking about sticking with XP 9Home or Professional) rather than going for Vista but I am not sure what advantage the Direct X 10 gives with Vista. Is it worth getting Vista for this.
At the moment I play CFS3 and its add ons and I would like to have a go at BoB wings over Victory which my current rig with its Ti -4200 64mb GX card and XP 2100 Athlon CPU cant manage.
My new rig a Cyberpower Infinity XT Elite would have a E6800 CPU and 9800GTX 500mb GX card. Any comments appreciated.

RW02
January 6th, 2009, 08:02
If you also want to fly in multiplayer missions I'd definetelly go for XP.

Old Tiger
January 6th, 2009, 09:41
I am just about to order a new PC from Cybepower here in the UK and I am thinking about sticking with XP 9Home or Professional) rather than going for Vista but I am not sure what advantage the Direct X 10 gives with Vista. Is it worth getting Vista for this.
At the moment I play CFS3 and its add ons and I would like to have a go at BoB wings over Victory which my current rig with its Ti -4200 64mb GX card and XP 2100 Athlon CPU cant manage.
My new rig a Cyberpower Infinity XT Elite would have a E6800 CPU and 9800GTX 500mb GX card. Any comments appreciated.

:wavey:Xp or Xp pro is the way to go. Heard too many :frown:horror stories bout Vista.

:ernae:

grahamfox
January 7th, 2009, 02:21
I havnt done any on line playing yet but yes I think I want to go for XP. I have been reading in other posts about 32 bit and 64 bit XP. With the rig above do you think I would be as well to stick with a 32 bit system, I dont want any issues with non gaming programmes.

OldCrow
January 7th, 2009, 02:24
Stay with XP until Windows 7 is out next year. That's what my smarter friends have told me!:gossip:

Rami
January 7th, 2009, 17:43
Windows XP Pro has provided me with many hours of trouble-free operation for all of my flight simming and PC needs.

jaycee
January 8th, 2009, 02:42
of course you can always install both OS., i was thinking of this,but decided against it,it seems to me it may be a bit troublesome,but someone with more PC. savvy than me may be able to shed some light on this.

hey_moe
January 8th, 2009, 04:21
I have found out the best thing to do in my case was to buy another hard drive and put all my games on just one drive and use the main drive for surfing,downloads...ect..ect. I have Vista 64 on one drive and XP Pro on another. When adding one drive for all your gaming you can shut down just about 80% of the programs running in the back ground. Go here and look what he is shutting down for gaming >>> http://www.blackviper.com/

Axenti
January 8th, 2009, 11:42
Vista is idd a problem i have vista and i cant get online with CFS3 but thats the only problem that i have for now with vista the rest of it works great for me, for some games its a problem to run them like CFS3 online but the game it selves works o.k. loke swat3 it dont works. anyway i want to buy XP to put on my pc so i can get online with others but here its very expentive about 109 euros and then i have to manage to install it without that i have to delete my vista version, there is stuff from work that only runs on vista thats why i have it anyways.

Fortiesboy
January 10th, 2009, 03:39
I am doing the same as you - getting another puter.
I have looked into it and opted for XP
What's more - I have gone for 32 bit.
You have to consider older sims and more importantly drivers for your peripherals - joysticks etc.

Stay safe with 32 bit XP

Helldiver
January 10th, 2009, 04:14
I have three computers. Two with XP and one with Vista. All are pretty much the same with nVidai 8800 cards and 4GB of memory. Although I like XP, I have to admit that FSX runs a whole lot better on Vista. I hated Vista until I got rid of the "bloat". Now it runs just as easy as Windows XP.
If ayone wants it I would be glad to tell you how to do it.
From my standpoint, I would go with Vista. But not untill you tame her into something useable.

hairyspin
January 10th, 2009, 05:29
I hated Vista until I got rid of the "bloat". Now it runs just as easy as Windows XP.

I'm getting Vista fairly soon, so I'd love to know! :jump:

grahamfox
January 10th, 2009, 05:43
The basic configuration comes with Vista 32 or 64 bit. I am saving just £11 or $16 by downgrading to Xp home which is what I have on my current PC and its the only OS I have ever used. It comes with 4gb of RAM so some of that will be wasted on XP. Having 2 HDD one with Vista sounds interesting but I cant see any advantages for me(not knowing too much about vista) and I think Vista will fade away once Windows 7 gets established.

Axenti
January 10th, 2009, 09:34
I have three computers. Two with XP and one with Vista. All are pretty much the same with nVidai 8800 cards and 4GB of memory. Although I like XP, I have to admit that FSX runs a whole lot better on Vista. I hated Vista until I got rid of the "bloat". Now it runs just as easy as Windows XP.
From my standpoint, I would go with Vista. But not untill you tame her into something useable.

Hmmm CFS3
Can you go online on vista if you do that.

Axenti
January 10th, 2009, 09:52
The basic configuration comes with Vista 32 or 64 bit. I am saving just £11 or $16 by downgrading to Xp home which is what I have on my current PC and its the only OS I have ever used. It comes with 4gb of RAM so some of that will be wasted on XP. Having 2 HDD one with Vista sounds interesting but I cant see any advantages for me(not knowing too much about vista) and I think Vista will fade away once Windows 7 gets established.

How long is vista on the marked? the problems that i read about are starting to evolve on my system i'm getting now problems with my explorer i have to put on google chrome because youtube films or sites like you tube cant always run the video's on the explorer, the explorer locks down an its slow down if i make a search now. i'm defragging my rig but it dusnt helpt a bit. But now i'm having google chrome installed and have no problems anyways: i had only problems whit getting online on CFS3 because vista dont suport it what a waist of time that microsoft wizzards didnt calcullate the fact that poeple uses software that they want to put on vista, i wonder? Vistas problems all over the world and the time it is on the market and they never found out updates to repair the problems on the explorer and with some games like there own CFS3? djees i'm getting anoyed first of all because i dont getting online and now because i'm getting problems whit explorer whats, the strangest thing is im not using explorer anymore but if i start up my rig that freaking MS explorer posp up without asking for it end before that i can stop this i have to wait circa 15 min before i can do anithing else :confused:

sorry for my spelling its not my native language hu :-p