PDA

View Full Version : Announcement from Virtavia about B-36

Lonewolfee1
January 21st, 2013, 21:22
Jan 22 : The Alphasim B-36 Peacemaker has finally been re-released as a Virtavia product. The usual vendors will be listing this great model package in the next few days. Both the B-36H and B-36B are featured. Both the FS9 and (native) FSX models have a 2D panel, old-style VC, sounds, illustrated checklist, 2 set of reflective textures, panel info images and a reame.txt which lists the keypresses for the animations.

http://www.virtavia.com/

Ian Warren
January 21st, 2013, 21:50
Hope they have done some work to it , the cockpit is so outta date .. i have all the .. umm yeah lets wait and see , d previous owners get updates if there are any , in it current state should only be a freeware .

Lonewolfee1
January 21st, 2013, 22:24
Hope they have done some work to it , the cockpit is so outta date .. i have all the .. umm yeah lets wait and see , d previous owners get updates if there are any , in it current state should only be a freeware .

According to the reply I got from the email I sent them - I don't think they have redone the panel.

Ian Warren
January 21st, 2013, 22:57
Fingers Crossed , its a good eight years old now , they would have to do a lotta tidying up ... maybe its released as freeware more i'd believe .

falcon409
January 22nd, 2013, 03:52
Fingers Crossed. . . . . . . .maybe its released as freeware more I'd believe .
If they haven't touched it since it's original release (at least the FS9 version) it should be freeware, but the statement says it will be released to the "usual vendors". That means it's gonna be payware.:salute:

Lonewolfee1
January 22nd, 2013, 05:25
http://secure.simmarket.com/virtavia-convair-b-36-peacemaker.phtml

Daube
January 22nd, 2013, 06:35
22 euros !!!!???? Is this a joke ?

b52bob
January 22nd, 2013, 07:37
I have the original and I think it was a port over. This looks like an extensive work over and I know at least the cockpit has been redone. If it is redone, the 21 euros is a good price. I enjoyed it when I had it.

dvj
January 22nd, 2013, 08:38
Looking at the screen shots posted on simmarket, there are no changes to the original model. FS9 portover to FSX that's all. I purchased this model 4 years ago. Great exterior textures if not a bit blurry, but very poor VC. Excellent sound set however. Yes, it should be freeware by today's standards. Looks great in black and white. ;)

http://www.fsfiles.org/imagehost/uploads/1235975950.jpg

Ferry_vO
January 22nd, 2013, 08:46
I believe an FsX native model was added later on.

Still a bit pricy though.. Maybe next big Virtavia sale..

Sascha66
January 22nd, 2013, 08:53
This is way overpriced - but then, that is nothing new.

tommieboy
January 22nd, 2013, 11:46
I'm interested if something may have been updated in that my ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSX v2_1.zip file is 22.4 MB; and the current one at simMarket is listed as 26 MB for the FSX version. In any case my current AlphaSim FSX B-36 install is noted as "Convair B-36 Peacemaker for FSX v2.1" in the readme.txt file.

Tommy

Ferry_vO
January 22nd, 2013, 11:57
Maybe the model without the jet engines was added to the package..?

tommieboy
January 22nd, 2013, 12:47
Maybe the model without the jet engines was added to the package..?

My zip file contains both models......

Tommy

OleBoy
January 22nd, 2013, 13:54
C'mon. Here's a riddle. What are the three main parts of a wood stove?
Lifter
Leg
Poker

That about sums it up.

dvj
January 22nd, 2013, 15:35
C'mon. Here's a riddle. What are the three main parts of a wood stove?
Lifter
Leg
Poker

That about sums it up.

And all that for 21 Euros!!! Such a deal. :isadizzy:

OleBoy
January 22nd, 2013, 16:00
I think it's kind of sh**y that the files are getting re-released and sold. Regardless if it be under a different name or not. That stuff is long out dated!!

robert41
January 22nd, 2013, 16:14
I have the Alpha FS9 model. Works ok in FSX. Did not know about the FSX update. Is this still available?

Ian Warren
January 22nd, 2013, 16:52
Weird things is my interest with the type .. two large books on the shelf and a couple more lessor .. one off those types just simply due to its standing .. the procedure and the testing , i'm not even sure i have the full FSX 2.1 update but it would have been nice to see a rebuild .. its a lotta years old .

tommieboy
January 22nd, 2013, 17:03
I think it's kind of sh**y that the files are getting re-released and sold. Regardless if it be under a different name or not. That stuff is long out dated!!

I sure miss the old AlphaSim forums......:isadizzy:

papab
January 22nd, 2013, 17:05
From sim market web site description of the aircraft:

"Convair's B-36 Peacemaker was called a 'MegaBomber' when it was first introduced into service on August 28, 1947. An enormous aircraft, it was as complex as it was large. Its 28-cylinder R-4360 engines were the very height of piston technology, and with the addition of the jet pods to later marques to assist with takeoff and top speed, the aircraft became even more complicated. With its 19-foot propellers and six engines, it produced an Earth-shaking drone that could be felt from 40,000 feet. Produced in a wide variety of variants, including unarmed crew trainers, strategic bombers, and reconnaissance bombers, the plane was manufactured for seven years. The last B-36 was delivered on August 18, 1954, and the type was retired altogether on February 12, 1959. It was the end of an era."

For FSX (native, not a portover) and FS2004 only......

Rick

Bone
January 22nd, 2013, 17:32
The VC looks the same as the one I already have. I'm going to stretch out onto the limb, and say it hasn't been updated.

OleBoy
January 22nd, 2013, 17:48
I sure miss the old AlphaSim forums......:isadizzy:

I don't. Back then, the leader of the pack carried a screwdriver with him where ever he went. And screwed the wrong type of fasteners.

falcon409
January 22nd, 2013, 20:23
I don't. Back then, the leader of the pack carried a screwdriver with him where ever he went. And screwed the wrong type of fasteners.
I only went on their Forums a few times, once to praise a recent release and the last to critique a recent release. . .it was not met with any favor from anyone....basically being told that the forum wasn't a place for negative vibes, lol. Over time, as other folks related stories of having visited their forum it became apparent that negativity, even the constructive type was not acceptable nor was it appreciated. Generally, if you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut, lol.

spatialpro
January 23rd, 2013, 04:13
One would hope that if it were to have been re-worked for re-release the FSX model would contain features such as bump mapping, VC self-shading etc, which according to the product page it does. Not sure about 3D guages though, which many have come to expect.

Andy

Bone
January 23rd, 2013, 07:03
One would hope that if it were to have been re-worked for re-release the FSX model would contain features such as bump mapping, VC self-shading etc, which according to the product page it does. Not sure about 3D guages though, which many have come to expect.

Andy

When I said my guess would be that it hasn't been updated, I meant updated from what was available for FSX six years ago. I bought this model from Alphasim six years ago, and it included an FS9 model and a native FSX model. The FSX model came with a separate VC model from the exterior model, and it came with bump mapping.

The VC pics that are shown in the re-release are the same VC as what I have. They are 2D guages, and the cockpit window frame paint is the biggest give away that it hasn't been updated. The window frame paint is from a swatch texture sheet, which has no definition.

DaveQ
January 24th, 2013, 07:14
I'm going to stick my neck out here. I actually like this old girl and I very much doubt there will ever be another developer modelling the B-36 to current standards so if you want it, get it. The worst thing about it is the textures (sorry if that offends anyone here) which are really not up to much IMHO, neither are the main fuselage bump files. But there are a few repaints out there which will make it look really good, and the vc is at least workable.

Like someone on the FS2004 forum, I saw one when I guess I was about 9 years old, going over the house at about 500 feet - that was nearly 60 years ago and I can still remember what an awesome and inspiring sight it was.

DaveQ

fxsttcb
January 24th, 2013, 07:51
Not a modeler, so, I don't know, but, I'm under the impression that FSX "Native" planes have seperate exterior and interior models. Is that accurate?
If so, are there two models in the model folders? I'd think that would at least be an indication of some rework.

Just curious, my simming allotment is spoken for. At least for quite a while....Don

Bone
January 24th, 2013, 07:54
I'm going to stick my neck out here. I actually like this old girl and I very much doubt there will ever be another developer modelling the B-36 to current standards so if you want it, get it.
DaveQ

I like it too, DaveQ. That it's not up to current FSX "standards" isn't really a big deal, it's still fun, and there's still plenty of fantasy to be gotten out of it. Where did you get the paint in your screenie?

Bone
January 24th, 2013, 07:55
Not a modeler, so, I don't know, but, I'm under the impression that FSX "Native" planes have seperate exterior and interior models. Is that accurate?
If so, are there two models in the model folders? I'd think that would at least be an indication of some rework.

Just curious, my simming allotment is spoken for. At least for quite a while....Don

reference my post just prior to DaveQ's post.

fxsttcb
January 24th, 2013, 08:08
I guess I should have read beyond: "When I said my guess would be that it hasn't been updated" eh?

Bone
January 24th, 2013, 08:14
I guess I should have read beyond: "When I said my guess would be that it hasn't been updated" eh?

Lol. I'll try to be more interesting with my initial sentences.

Roger
January 24th, 2013, 09:52
Looks great from the outside!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/01/24/hjJNK.jpg

OleBoy
January 24th, 2013, 10:20
Looks great from the outside!

As do most women when you are drunk :icon_lol:

Whoops :kilroy:

tommieboy
January 24th, 2013, 12:57
I'm going to stick my neck out here...... there are a few repaints out there which will make it look really good.....

I really like this one....:cool:

Tommy

http://home.roadrunner.com/~tommieboy/B36_801.jpg

http://home.roadrunner.com/~tommieboy/B36_800.jpg

http://home.roadrunner.com/~tommieboy/B36_799.jpg

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 13:27
I dug up my 36 again , dated 5/10/2007 FSXV2 18,524KB .. I install it and see/check or any difference .

DaveQ
January 24th, 2013, 14:27
I like it too, DaveQ. That it's not up to current FSX "standards" isn't really a big deal, it's still fun, and there's still plenty of fantasy to be gotten out of it. Where did you get the paint in your screenie?

It's one I did a few years ago - I reworked the paintkit and the bump files. But don't remember whether I published this one. I had a go at adding some of the fuselage stress wrinkles into the bump files this afternoon and it seems to work so might put this out. I also think Pierre Lheureux did some nice paints for this as well.

DaveQ

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 14:42
OK this is what the old FS9 had to offer , course old style gauge original cockpit , works in FSX but requires grabbing bits and piece from the 2007 FSX V2 release , course below the then 3rD party painter . Very talented ... sorry forgot his name .
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/1Custom-136.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/2Custom-125.jpg
Now with the recent Virtavia release is different in respect to only different models - My 2007 FSX-Version 2 has only one model and the gun turret will not retract making this , what was called a 'Light Peacemaker' , i pulled my B-36 info and even found a colour photo of this very aircraft .. model No. or type ?
either
RB-36H-55 serial 52-1382 Construction No.329 AF5793 27 Ocy 52
B-36J-10 serial 52-2826 Construction No.382 as above , second last B-36 built
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/3-21.jpg

Conclusion , new to the aircraft , your paying for a B variant without Jets and extra paints .
:cost1:

tommieboy
January 24th, 2013, 14:44
It's one I did a few years ago - I reworked the paintkit and the bump files. But don't remember whether I published this one. I had a go at adding some of the fuselage stress wrinkles into the bump files this afternoon and it seems to work so might put this out. I also think Pierre Lheureux did some nice paints for this as well.

DaveQ

I remember the fuselage stress wrinkles; you sent me some of your work-in-progress files to look at. You also had a weather beaten version of BM-041 that had a lot of water staining effects too; not the best screen capture, but you can see some of it the image below.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~tommieboy/B36_798.jpg

Pierre Lheureux...the B-36 bullet hole paint schemes....I've got them all....:cool:

Tommy

Bone
January 24th, 2013, 15:20
OK

Now with the recent Virtavia release is different in respect to only different models - My 2007 FSX-Version 2 has only one model and the gun turret will not retract making this , what was called a 'Light Peacemaker' , i pulled my B-36 info and even found a colour photo of this very aircraft .. model No. or type ?
either
RB-36H-55 serial 52-1382 Construction No.329 AF5793 27 Ocy 52
B-36J-10 serial 52-2826 Construction No.382 as above , second last B-36 built

Conclusion , new to the aircraft , your paying for a B variant without Jets and extra paints .
:cost1:

Ian, maybe you should look again for the B variant model. My Alphasim B-36 came with two models in the package. A B-36H and a B-36B.

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 16:24
Ian, maybe you should look again for the B variant model. My Alphasim B-36 came with two models in the package. A B-36H and a B-36B.
From Alphasim , file name ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSX v2 ... Dated 5/10/2007 18,524KB ... One model only ? what is it the date on your d/load .

EDIT : went back to my old FS9 d/load and again only one model ... don't understand that ?

Bone
January 24th, 2013, 16:34
ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSXv2_1

9/12/2007

Bone
January 24th, 2013, 16:37
Ian, where did you get the "circle X" and "092" paints from?

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 16:49
Ian, where did you get the "circle X" and "092" paints from?
Tommy listed the name "Pierre Lheureux" from Avsim or Flightsim.com - should be easy to find under that name - , these paints are on the FS9 model but still worked in FSX , fact is never had a 'B' variant ! right from the very start .

I wonder if there was a change i missed within the 2 month release dates we have , surely not ?

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 16:57
ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSXv2_1

9/12/2007
Arrr just noticed , you are FSXv2_1 , i missed the patch !

modelr
January 24th, 2013, 17:18
Arrr just noticed , you are FSXv2_1 , i missed the patch !

It wasn't a patch. It was a full update. FSX native, two models, exterior and interior, in the model folders, full bump mapping folders in main aircraft folder, and both models, B & H.

On top of aircraft.cfg :

// FSX ALPHASIM B-36H Peacemaker Ver 1.2 (This signifies the version 2.1 package, with the updated FSX models, v 1.2)
// DD, 13th March 08, added the -B variant
// PP, 1st Apr 08, changed C to B

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 17:26
It wasn't a patch. It was a full update. FSX native, two models, exterior and interior, in the model folders, full bump mapping folders in main aircraft folder, and both models, B & H.

On top of aircraft.cfg :

// FSX ALPHASIM B-36H Peacemaker Ver 1.2 (This signifies the version 2.1 package, with the updated FSX models, v 1.2)
// DD, 13th March 08, added the -B variant
// PP, 1st Apr 08, changed C to B

Well that obviously explains why i'm missing so much , twas a patch and updated models i missed , i'll contact Virtavia and see what they can do for me , thanks for clearing that up Modelr

Ian Warren
January 24th, 2013, 21:33
There we go:cool: .. all up and running , Phil at Virtavia had a replied within a hour , great .. talk about a Peacemaker :salute:

Next Month is the North American B-45 Tornado .. :cool:

tommieboy
January 25th, 2013, 21:24
It's one I did a few years ago - I reworked the paintkit and the bump files. But don't remember whether I published this one. I had a go at adding some of the fuselage stress wrinkles into the bump files this afternoon and it seems to work so might put this out.

Dave your red tail BM-041 is still available in avsim's FSX library. Please do reload this repaint, if and when you are satisfied with the fuselage stress wrinkles. Your revised bump files are awesome; revising / creating bump files for me has always been a show stopper.

Here's the original thread; it's hard to believe it's been that many years....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?10911-New-B-36B-repaint-up-on-Avsim

In the thread above, there is a second link to another of your B-36 repaints that seems to be missing from Avsim's library.

Tommy

tommieboy
January 26th, 2013, 16:34
Dave Q's repaints flying in formation......

http://home.roadrunner.com/~tommieboy/B36_797.jpg

Ian Warren
January 26th, 2013, 16:43
:icon_lol:Tommie , your spending to much time with your nose in the 'Jacobsen' Book History of the Convair B-36 :cool:

tommieboy
January 26th, 2013, 17:52
:icon_lol:Tommie , your spending to much time with your nose in the 'Jacobsen' Book History of the Convair B-36 :cool:

That and Dennis Jenkins' "Magnesium Overcast"

Tommy

Ian Warren
January 26th, 2013, 20:52
That and Dennis Jenkins' "Magnesium Overcast"

Tommy
Don't have that one , but another by both Don Pyeatt and Dennis R. Jenkins "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER" ,is what makes this such an intriguing aircraft :cool:

tommieboy
January 26th, 2013, 21:16
Don't have that one , but another by both Don Pyeatt and Dennis R. Jenkins "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER" ,is what makes this such an intriguing aircraft :cool:

I've been meaning to pickup the "Cold War Peacemaker" too.....Thanks for reminding me about that one.

Tommy

DaveQ
January 27th, 2013, 01:00
I'll try to find time this week to package up both these with new bump files. I'm going to reduce the alpha shine and give them both a more used look. I also have a later anti-radiation white belly paint somewhere I've never finished and I'll try to dig that out too.

Regards

DaveQ

icycle
January 27th, 2013, 06:16
That is outstanding news!!! Thank you for the great repaints.

Been flying this bird around a lot this week. Now if I could only get the AI version to work!

Thanks
Bill

Bone
January 27th, 2013, 06:25
Now if I could only get the AI version to work!

Thanks
Bill

AI version? How many KB's is the model size?

tommieboy
January 27th, 2013, 07:09
I'll try to find time this week to package up both these with new bump files. I'm going to reduce the alpha shine and give them both a more used look. I also have a later anti-radiation white belly paint somewhere I've never finished and I'll try to dig that out too.

Regards

DaveQ

Thanks so much Dave....Your repaints are definitely top shelf repaints; the best of the lot.

Tommy

tommieboy
January 27th, 2013, 07:16
That is outstanding news!!! Thank you for the great repaints.

Been flying this bird around a lot this week. Now if I could only get the AI version to work!

Thanks
Bill

Do you have the current Virtavia release? I don't see the AI folder that was part of the previous AlphaSim release. I recall that only the H model was available as an AI model in any case; not the B.

Tommy

tommieboy
January 27th, 2013, 07:19

I just noticed that in one of the book reviews, the reviewer stated that most of the material in "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER" comes directly from the other book "Magnesium Overcast." So now I don't know if it's worth spending the money on "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER."

Tommy

icycle
January 27th, 2013, 07:24
Do you have the current Virtavia release? I don't see the AI folder that was part of the previous AlphaSim release. I recall that only the H model was available as an AI model in any case; not the B.

Tommy

@Bone 1493kb

Yes, I do. DL'd the new Virtavia version, when released. Noticed that there was no "AI" version, as advertised. Emailed Virtavia. Got the model emailed to me ASAP. It is in the FS9 version of the installer only - per Phil.

I've tried to install, and use it in AI flightplans, but it never shows up. IF I take those same AI flightplans, and add the ITO FS2002/FS2004 version of the "36", it shows up just fine. So I know its something with the model file somewhere.

Bill

Ian Warren
January 27th, 2013, 10:52
I just noticed that in one of the book reviews, the reviewer stated that most of the material in "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER" comes directly from the other book "Magnesium Overcast." So now I don't know if it's worth spending the money on "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER."

Tommy

The "COLD WAR PEACEMAKER" is 240 pg , gloss print , b/w photos galore - inside construction , plant plans - all variants , not sure what "Magnesium Overcast" has to offer but other book "Convair B-36 A comprehensive History of America's "Big Stick" by Meyers K. Jacobsen , a whooping 400 pages in the same superb quality gloss print , colour photo section in the back to the break down of the weapons and development , bomb load and types to all XC-99,YB-60,NB-36H and R&D programs , crew story s and inflight photos and some scary stories and another called "Convair B-36 - A photo Chronicle " which is paperback of only 88 pages also by by Meyers K. Jacobsen .

Pity we were'nt neighbors , we could have swapped to compare and looksie to see if worth buying the other .

KellyB
April 8th, 2013, 11:46
Got to rummaging around and discovered that when the Big Stick was released in 2004, it was priced at 16.00.

Now it's $25?

Hmmm. What accounts for the 38% increase?

fsafranek
April 8th, 2013, 12:30
Got to rummaging around and discovered that when the Big Stick was released in 2004, it was priced at 16.00.

Now it's $25?

Hmmm. What accounts for the 38% increase?
Following the FS9 version back in 2004 there was an FSX rebuilt release in 2007 and this new release improves upon that. But don't ask me how, I've never had any of them. You probably should read the entire thread.

Also $16 worth of anything in 2004 is probably closer to $20-something in 2013 anyway.
:ernae:

centuryseries
April 9th, 2013, 00:49
Following the FS9 version back in 2004 there was an FSX rebuilt release in 2007 and this new release improves upon that. But don't ask me how, I've never had any of them. You probably should read the entire thread.

Also $16 worth of anything in 2004 is probably closer to $20-something in 2013 anyway.
:ernae:

I once stood under an RB-36 at Castle Air Museum and I have never seen anything so big! :salute:

KellyB
April 9th, 2013, 05:01
I did read the thread, and found that the opinions were all over the place as to whether there had been any upgrades, which is why I asked.