PDA

View Full Version : Any IPhone 5 users ?

Crusader
January 14th, 2013, 17:19
Totally unrelated to flight sims I know but I wanted some users opinions on the IPhone5 . I've been contemplating an upgrade from my current IPhone4 . Have it under AT & T and service is pretty good in my area . Have been a AT & T customer for years and no major complaints . There is good points and bad as with all wireless companies so I'm not going to debate that now . My wife is a nurse manager at a local hospital and they just switched to IPhones with the option of upgrading to the IPhone5's to also use them for personal use . The cost was $200 for the phone along with a 2 year commitment . I'm also eligible for the exact same upgrade and price from my IPhone4 to a 5 .
IMO not a bad deal considering the phone retails for around $650 . Just wandering what you all thought . Don't intend to change from AT & T to someone else . Don't store a lot of pics and occasionally watch videos . Above deal is for the 16G . I currently have a 20G data storage(? I think) and only use a fraction of that every month . I have quite a few apps on my phone to .

Rich

Wittpilot
January 14th, 2013, 21:52
Hey there... My mother-in-law actually got me the Galaxy Note for Christmas... Now, My wife & I have had iPhones for the last 5 years. We both had the 3 & 4.... I waited for my upgrade till 5 came out because I wanted to see what they were going to offer.... I was pretty disappointed when I didn't see a huge difference. So, I had talked about switching away from iPhone this time, and sure enough, it happened. My wife had already got a Samsung about 6 months ago and loves it. You can do probably twice as much with an Android, but it is a learning curve coming from iPhone. There are lots of pros and cons. For me, I hated iTunes.... I hated that you had to sync everything through there... Android is just a drag and drop type of interface for adding content/songs.

I'd say, if you don't want to spend a lot time re-learning things, stick with the iPhone5... If you want something a tad different, you can go with something else like a Samsung. The Note I think is the same price as the 5. I do like the Note... Lots of pros over iPhone... I do like the iPhone camera better. But there are so many options to control on the Android phone, I might just have to fiddle with settings....

Good Luck...

-witt

Crusader
January 15th, 2013, 02:42
Thanks Witt . Appreciate your comments . Very informative . I have a few friends who have the Samsung Note and they like it . It's climbing in popularity quite a bit . A lot of pros and cons to both as you stated .

Rich

Daveroo
January 15th, 2013, 07:48
one thing to consider ,is if you are a real world..or real life pilot ,almost all aviation related apps and programs are for the Iphone or Ipad,and the past few issues of flying magazine have had articals about the fact that the major manufacturers are not going to change to android based platforms..

LonelyplanetXO
January 15th, 2013, 10:22
I have an iphone 4 & bought my partner a 5 for Christmas. Decision to go with the 5 over a Galaxy was mostly related to the size of the Samsung - too big for little hands, along with the usability of the Iphone. I agree with Wittpilot though - itunes is unbelievably painful to use and didn't disappoint, making it almost impossible to get her new phone going initially. For me, when the Iphone 4 dies, it's definitely going to be replaced with an Android. Happy to see the back of Apple.

LPXO

Tim-HH
January 15th, 2013, 10:25
Hi,

I have the iPhone 5 for about a month now and despite 4G LTE, the faster CPU and the larger display there is actually not much of difference compared to the iPhone 4S.

Greetings
Tim

Wittpilot
January 15th, 2013, 14:00
Hi,

I have the iPhone 5 for about a month now and despite 4G LTE, the faster CPU and the larger display there is actually not much of difference compared to the iPhone 4S.

Greetings
Tim

This was the reason I went away from the iPhone.

Also, Yes , the Samsung is HUUUUGE.... but that is okay, that was why i wanted it actually... only a problem when you go to text with one hand really. However, the phone is set up so you can use one hand, havne't used it yet though...

Tako_Kichi
January 15th, 2013, 14:57
Don't forget that the new from the ground up (including a totally new OS) Blackberry launches on Jan 30th. It could be a real contender to compete with both the iphone and android phones.