PDA

View Full Version : My latest project..

Cowboy1968
January 14th, 2013, 17:01
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy250/Darrellsimpilot/CFS2/USAAF/p59a.png

When this package first came out for FS9 awhile back, I asked for and received permission to see what I could do with it, to convert it to CFS2. The project is coming along and so on.

The plane is turning out nice. I do have a few more things to work out on her, but they are coming along. My FDE file is a bit touchy, but from what i understand the machine response was also a bit touchy. She takes an easy hand on the stick. you can't slam your stick over like you could in a P-39 or P-63.

What I might need is some help in working out the deflection of the guns, so I am hoping to find someone that can help me zero the guns in....

I hope to have the machine ready for upload by February. I am working on the final touches now....

Allen
January 14th, 2013, 17:28
Looks good. Is it a LOD model?

Rami
January 14th, 2013, 18:14
Cowboy1968,

Meet me on Skype sometime, good buddy! I have a book I want to give you. The project looks great! :mixedsmi:

Shadow Wolf 07
January 15th, 2013, 09:37
Sharp work there Cowboy!

Jagdflieger
January 15th, 2013, 16:15
Nice!

She ought to be great for those "what if 1946" missions I like cobbling together.

Cowboy1968
January 15th, 2013, 20:13
Well like the Meteor she is a bit slow compared to the Me 262, but once i get the guns zeroed in, and the rest of the models converted the packages will be done.

Now for some combat flight tests...i took her up against some P-51's and she kept up with them. I flew her against the Meteor and will they are pretty even in a dog fight. Wide sweeping turns become the mark of the day. The plane takes a steady hand on the stick and good eye on the throttle.

I am taking her out against some 262's later. I expect to be shot down, but who knows...maybe just maybe she will get lucky

Cowboy1968
January 15th, 2013, 21:33
As i said, I was going to test her against the 262, and well i was surprised. Again her agility surprised me. I was able to keep out of trouble by turning into and away from the 262. As I said earlier, you have to use a light hand on the stick in the P-59. The plane has a tendency to over react to control movements (ironically the real aircraft had that problem as well) that make it hard to line up a good shot, but once you learn the stick, the plane is a killer.

The test was a 4 on 4 engagement. and well the P-59's won it

The first kill occurred when i got behind a 262 and downed her as she was trying to kill an Airacomet. My second kill was in a turning fight, I turned into him and got a lucky shot off, but my luck ran out as i closing on another i stayed in a straight line to long and was shot to pieces.

As long as we kept the 262 in a turning fight, It was well a good match.

Cowboy1968
January 28th, 2013, 06:10
With some help that I received in this project, it is now nearing ready for upload. I just have to finish model conversion and then convert the remaining textures to a format that works with CFS2. This package will be ready for upload say around Wednesday. We hope you enjoy...

Jagdflieger
January 28th, 2013, 07:36
Good news Cowboy. I'm looking forward to it.

John Pirnie
January 31st, 2013, 02:19
Looks good. Is it a LOD model?

What do you mean by LOD Model?
John:isadizzy:

oldwheat
January 31st, 2013, 06:38
LEVEL OF DETAIL=LOD. The process of adding progressively simpler models to an MDL. file at 'farther' scale distances in order to reduce poly's & thusly raise frame rates. Also referred to as multiresolution (multires for short).

Rami
January 31st, 2013, 06:42
What do you mean by LOD Model?
John:isadizzy:

John,

This is a queston you hear me say as well. LOD stands for "level of detail." If a model has only one level of detail, this model, when CFS2 draws it, would have to be drawn in full detail, all the time.

As you can imagine, if there are only one or two of these aircraft being flown in free flight, or say a mission, then FPS (framerates-per-second) would likely not be adversely affected, save for extremely slow computers. The human eye can detect stuttering of imagery and FPS if it falls below about twenty-four frames per second.

However, if you have eight single-lod aircraft in a formation, or let's say they're part of an even larger formation, then you can see where forcing the computer to draw all of these models in full detail can cause problems.

Aircraft there are multi-lod, or have multiple levels of detail, are drawn with more detail when they are closer to you, and less detailed when they are further away from you. The only drawback of this is that sometimes, taking an aircraft again as an example, if you are flying in formation, you may see some multi-lod aircraft models "twitch" between two different levels of detail because you happen to be just the right distance away from this particular aircraft so that the computer keeps flipping between two models of detail.