PDA

View Full Version : Launching from Usio's JMK_Nisshin_catatpult

stuart277
January 10th, 2013, 13:48
Hi Guys
Has anyone been able to launch and F1M2 from Usio's JMK_Nisshin_catapult seaplane tender.
I have tried the following:
Set it as a carrier, but the aircraft faces forward on the starboard catapult and cannot be turned to 90o for take off.
Set the position of the aircraft for a 'seaplane start', engines on, but the plane seems to crash and burn (the ship is set to 'not evade and speed zero' for two waypoints.)
There is a catapult set at 45o on the port side as well as a small 'flight deck'. Resetting the takeoff point on the ship may work but I do not know how to do it.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Cheers
Stuart

Blood_Hawk23
January 10th, 2013, 19:05
I wonder if its the same as launching off of the Rodney. do you have the plane set for catapult launch? It could be the plane but don't quote me on it.

I'll have to do some digging on this. i haven't launched off a ship in almost a year new. i forgot how to set it up.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I want to set up a sopwith pup to do this. i think that would be fun.

Hooraw
January 11th, 2013, 15:06
I wonder if its the same as launching off of the Rodney. do you have the plane set for catapult launch? It could be the plane but don't quote me on it.

I'll have to do some digging on this. i haven't launched off a ship in almost a year new. i forgot how to set it up.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I want to set up a sopwith pup to do this. i think that would be fun.

Hit the F10 (power boost) button. Maybe that is the same in Nisshin?

skylane
January 12th, 2013, 00:32
The floatplane needs certain modifications to be able to launch from a catapult. I once had the information how to do it somewhere, but it seems to be lost in my computer meltdown of last year...
Maybe someone can help out and describe the procedure?

Also, I had files to convert the VN Prince of Wales and Repulse to catapult carriers; these are also lost.
I think the files were by Dombral, maybe if you read this, could you post them again?

Blood_Hawk23
January 12th, 2013, 07:52
there is a tutorial here:

http://forum.lwdesigns.com.au

if you are already registered its in the downloads under " CFS2 Catapult Launch System "

if your not registered them pm me your email and i'll send it.
Get the F4U-4B Catapult Version

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=F4U-4B+Catapult+Version+&categoryId=

you need GreenGhost Gauge/FSUIPC catupult launch system which is part of that aircrafts guages.
Once you get everything setup its realy easy.

Float planes can be tricky. if it has wheels you will have to retract them before the mission starts. if it doesn't and your crashing then it will have to be modified. that is the extent of my memory on the subject. i'll have to look up more.

Sadly Tango is the one who knew all of this. you can google his and my posts at LW's site or just go there and search catapult launch.

in the mean time i'll keep looking, i had a plane all ready setup. i just have to find it.

Blood_Hawk23
January 13th, 2013, 21:42
ok here is what you need to do for a catapult launch.

get the F4u4B cat version. it has the guage and the module in it. follow the instructions for installing.

before you go any farther, you may want to make backups of the ship and/or plane. its up to you.

now take the catapult.cfg file that is in the DB_F4U4B_Corsair folder and paste it into the JMK_Nisshin_catatpult ship folder.

ok that takes care of the ship.

next you have to do some work to the plane. this will work with any piston engine plane. I think... i haven't tried it on very many. and i've only used it on single engine planes.

first lets start with the F1M2 panel.
paste this line into the [Window00] section of the panel.cfg

gaugeXX=DAP_FSUIPC!Catapult, 514,349,10

change the XX to the next guage in the sequence. thats it for the panel so save and overwrite (you may want to backup your panel first).

If you plan on using this plane with wingmen, i would make a copy and relabel it so you can have a player version and an AI. its up to you. the power scalers my give you AI's enhanced abilities.

we now have to work on the F1M2 Airfile. you will need AIRED to do this.

open the F1M2 airfile with AIRED.
scroll down to line 505. its titled "CFS piston engine"
click on it to open it.
got to the line that reads "Emergency power Type"
change the entry too 3. Like so.

Emergency Power Type=3

(3=Weapon) if its already a 3 then leave it. save it and overwrite.

now you can further mod the plane if you'd like. if the aircraft already had the Emergency Power Type set to 3 you can add these lines to the Aircraft.cfg

[piston_engine]
power_scalar = 1.2

[propeller]
thrust_scalar = 1.2

The reason for this is you lose the WEP function. Its a one time use, once per mission. If the plane didn't have WEP power then you dont need it.

here is a quote from Tango_Romeo's readme on the launch procedure.

"Prep for takeoff in the normal manner...engine running, canopy open, flaps full, brakes set. (Sicily's deck is moving so set your brakes as soon as your mission begins to load.) Go to full throttle, release brakes immediately and hit the WEP(W) key. You will see a message saying 'Catapult Launch' on your screen. As soon as you are airborne hit the W key again to shutdown the catapult. You cannot use WEP again until the next mission, but the F4U's performance does not require it."

Follow all of the parts in blue.

I'll do up the cfg's and airfile and post it if you have any trouble. Its realy easy. if that plane doesn't work then try the Corsair. the float plane might need more work if it keeps crashing.

I actually did alot with this awhile back. i forgot most of it but most of it has come back now.

i'm working on a modified version of the VN_HMS_Tiger. i'm adding the cat to one of the turrets. sofar it works great. i just have to move it to the correct location.

i hope this helps. PM me if you need any more details.

till later.
John

skylane
January 14th, 2013, 08:28
John,

thank you, this was the information I was looking for!
:ernae:

stuart277
January 15th, 2013, 01:00
Hi Guys
Thanks for the suggestions.
Still no luck with the F1M2 and the Nisshin_Catapult.
I have installed the wep function, but the plane is F1M2 is still stuck when used as a 'carrier style' take off.
There is a set-up by "Gut"? where the F1M2 can be launched from the SHJ_Haruna with the catapult at 35-45 degrees.
It has the Haruna set up as follows:

flight_deck_section]
; this section defines the control points the
; AI (and LSO) use to steer towards the flight deck
width=31
length=31
takeoff_start=-0.0,13.350,-70.65
takeoff_stop=0.1,13.350,-45.00
landing_start=0,0,0
landing_touch_down=0,0,0
landing_stop=0,0,0
[platform.0]
; platforms are the actual surface that the planes
; land on. You can define as many platforms as you
; want by adding subsequent sections with increasing
; numbers. e.g. [platform.1], [platform.2] etc.
;
; vertices should be defined in model coordinates,
; and counter-clockwise order when viewed from above.
: REMEMBER, positive z is out the TAIL of the ship
; the shape may be concave or convex
; there may be from 3 to 20 vertices (limitation
; may go away later) and they must all be on the same
; plane.
vertex.0=19.850,13.350,-45.90
vertex.1=14.850,13.350,-75.20
vertex.2=-14.850,13.350,-75.20
vertex.3=-19.850,13.350,-45.90

Unfortunately the Nisshin seems to have 30 or so platforms.
This confuses me.
:isadizzy:

I had a thought.
Can the F1m2 be set up with 'invisible' landing gear that would allow it to 'taxi' on the flight deck of the Nisshin to the catapult then launch with WEP.
'Raise' the invisible landing gear so the plane can land on water, a bit like the PBY5a which had visible landing gear and floats.

I will try the F1M2 with WEP in a engine on start tomorrow and post my findings.
Cheers
Stuart

Blood_Hawk23
January 15th, 2013, 07:33
yeah that might be the problem. but with the guage added you should still be able to launch.

here read this before we go to far. I find myself quoting Tango alot.
http://forum.lwdesigns.com.au/how-to-remove-landing-gear-t1157.html?hilit=floats
it will change how the plane functions on water. basicly the gear will make it so that the plane will sink if not retracted in time.

is the ship moving when you try to launch?

where is the F1M2 that your using located? just so we are using the same model. i already have the Nisshin so once i get the plane i'll get to work.

Blood_Hawk23
January 15th, 2013, 20:01
Hey stuart,

Here are the files.
[ATTACH]79084[/ATTACH

it has the panel for the F1M2 and airfile. Ship file contains the catapult.cfg. The gauge and module are included as well. I've also made a very simple test mission.

I was able to launch from the default location without too much trouble. i had to use 60% throttle to turn to line up with the cat. once that was done, i set the park brake. went to 100% throttle. released the park brake and hit the "W" key. i would set the flaps for takeoff. i forgot and almost crashed. but i got off the deck without any hic-ups.

I tried to add landing gear like i added floats to the PUP. well lets just say it didn't work. you know that plane can bounce to 5,000'. it was kinda funny.

the flight deck layout is a pain. worst yet is the fact that it was made in japanese. it has no characters so i can't even translate it. i suppose you could go through every point set to find where they are. but that would take a while.

give that file set a try and let me know how it goes.

till later
John

stuart277
January 17th, 2013, 01:00
Hi John
I was going to report back with my findings (and lack of success with propstrikes, crashes, backflips, aircraft being moved by the mission builder to different spots on the Nisshin) and then I find your files!!
Thanks for the great job with the catapult launch.:applause:
All went well.

I have Yasico's F1M2, I dont think the flaps work, but I got airborne anyway.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Good luck with the Pup. It looked pretty good on that battlecruiser.
Cheers
Stuart

Blood_Hawk23
January 17th, 2013, 12:47
Stuart,

I used the F1M2 By Charles Simpson.

I found it here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=66&id=764

not sure if they are the same or not. I haven't tried the other one.
it all should work the same but there could be differances.